Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My JA3 annoyance: one merc's perk is to automatically generate two shaped charges (think grenades +2) per week.

Problem is, if said merc has a full inventory they don't pop over to another characters inventory, or the sector stash. They just poof into the ether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

My JA3 annoyance: one merc's perk is to automatically generate two shaped charges (think grenades +2) per week.

Problem is, if said merc has a full inventory they don't pop over to another characters inventory, or the sector stash. They just poof into the ether.

Makes sense I mean they have enough why would they make more.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ZeusCannon posted:

Please Jim may I have a grenade, you have so many and could just make me one if-

No my pockets are full and no one gets any if my pockets are full!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

"Have...enough....explosives?"

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

There’s mods for this. Cheat Menu letsyou enter combat at will, Active Pause lets you freeze time to give orders (though only some orders work).

Honestly I really like the game, but I have 4 or 5 mods installed to fix annoying crap like this. The one that lets you put crafting materials in the ammo stash is also irreplaceable.

Gonna try these. Thank you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In TotK, one of the collectible items is a gem that drops from a monster, and one is hidden in every cave in the game. There’s an NPC who will tell you the general location of one when you talk to him, but for many he’ll just say that he knows there’s more out there, but no where. There are other ways to track down cave entrances, but it’s still annoying that they give you a hint system that stops working.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

In Against the Storm I really dislike the interaction of randomness. The buildings available to you are random. The orders available to you that you can fulfill for rewards are random. And you start with a tiny, tiny amount of resources and the rest you have to open up by opening up glades... which contain random things. Your population comes in with random numbers of a random selection of races. So I often feel like I'm just rolling dice and making choices in the dark and hoping poo poo comes together. You just never get enough information along one vector to make long-term plans. Very often I get a decision and I'm just "I don't loving know".

I got to one game where it had a modifier that randomized the types of glades and another that adds spirits to each glade that have their own extra demands and I was just like this is just not fun any more and uninstalled the game.

I know a lot of people like the game but to me it achieves the antithesis of why I play city builders.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wasteland 3 incentivizes one to min/max so much that I find myself with a squad who can lockpick, repair, disarm explosives, fix toasters, hack computers, and do basically everything non-combat related. In combat, they loving suck, can't hit anything, and when they do they do no damage. And I have like a mountain of points unspent because I'm too stressed that I might come upon a locker that requires level 9 lockpicking or maybe a level 8 computer but both skills are used by the same character so I can't risk spending them! And I definitely cannot risk blowing those precious skill points on combat stuff.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

credburn posted:

Wasteland 3 incentivizes one to min/max so much that I find myself with a squad who can lockpick, repair, disarm explosives, fix toasters, hack computers, and do basically everything non-combat related. In combat, they loving suck, can't hit anything, and when they do they do no damage. And I have like a mountain of points unspent because I'm too stressed that I might come upon a locker that requires level 9 lockpicking or maybe a level 8 computer but both skills are used by the same character so I can't risk spending them! And I definitely cannot risk blowing those precious skill points on combat stuff.

In Wasteland 2, at least, I made my peace early on with the fact that I was just plain never going to hack a computer or disarm explosives, which saved a lot of points on those skills. They never were mandatory; you could miss rewards but my dudes could also shoot a guy when needed

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
But if I spend points on combat I may not be able to create a Voltron out of chickens! - an actual source of anxiety when playing WL 3.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I decided to give Demon's Souls Remastered a shot while waiting for any sort of game I want to play come out. I played the original a couple times, and was eager to see how they fixed/changed things.

And WOW, I can't believe they loving left in Item Burden.

It's not AS bad as before, because it seems they at least added an option to send an item you find directly to your storage in the Nexus if picking it up would put you over your limit, but it's still a stupid system (ESPECIALLY when you need an absolute MASSIVE amount of healing/mana herbs at all times) and there's a reason it's the only FromSoft game that has it...because it's dumb.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sonic Frontiers performs some really impressive amounts of fanservice and care for the series' story, which is really nice and unlike what Sonic usually does. It pulls in character and worldbuilding beats from every mainline Sonic game and a good handful of spinoffs (except 2006, because nobody wants to invite that to the party), to the point where it almost has a feeling of the series finally getting back to the main story after a lot of filler episodes. It's even given Knuckles a proper reason to exist in a story for the first time since, like, 2001!

...and then it blows it all right at the end by forgetting one of the most iconic moments in Sonic story. No, you can't just have a big finale take place with a completely intact full moon as the backdrop! We all know that's not possible, Eggman came to make an announcement all about it and everything!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Cleretic posted:

...and then it blows it all right at the end by forgetting one of the most iconic moments in Sonic story. No, you can't just have a big finale take place with a completely intact full moon as the backdrop! We all know that's not possible, Eggman came to make an announcement all about it and everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lr9VuGZgmw

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

credburn posted:

Did 3 separate the amount of skill points you earn from being tied to the character's intelligence?

I remember in 2 that really bothered me, because it meant on character creation you reeeeally had to agonize over attribute distribution to get as much intelligence as you could, otherwise you'd just end up with a gimped character who earned half the skill points any other ones did.
Maybe the math worked out that having higher attributes did beat out just having a higher hit/shootman skill, but it really felt hackneyed going into it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

You can get one time bonus skill points by boosting intelligence.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah in wasteland 2 intelligence was mostly a nothing stat except for the break points where it gave you an extra skill point per level, so over a full game a high int character might have 30 to 60 more skill points over a low int character, and that was huge and made intelligence feel mandatory. In wasteland 3 a character with an intelligence of 8 has 5 more skill points than one with an intelligence of 3 and everything else come from levels.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Wasteland 3 is one of those games where you have to learn to let go and internalize that you're just not able to do EVERYTHING in one pass through.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
(more Wasteland 3 drama) I created two characters, one who has maxed out armor modding, the other with maxed out weapon modding, and I have to constantly go back to base and switch my party members around and spend a lot of time modding weapons and armor before switching in my party members again and heading out. It's massively taxing, but I think it's the most efficient way to mod armor and weapons :mad:

But one of my characters has three points in weapon modding and I'm like WHY?? WHY DID YOU WASTE THOSE SKILL POINTS PRE-MADE PARTY MEMBER?!

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

credburn posted:

(more Wasteland 3 drama) I created two characters, one who has maxed out armor modding, the other with maxed out weapon modding, and I have to constantly go back to base and switch my party members around and spend a lot of time modding weapons and armor before switching in my party members again and heading out. It's massively taxing, but I think it's the most efficient way to mod armor and weapons :mad:

But one of my characters has three points in weapon modding and I'm like WHY?? WHY DID YOU WASTE THOSE SKILL POINTS PRE-MADE PARTY MEMBER?!

If you're having that much stress, just download cheat engine and give or take skills as needed.
I think you can also restat people at the main base.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
fallout games handled stat point distribution through intelligence and it kind of sucked but made up for it by making your character say dumb goofy poo poo constantly. for all its faults fallout 4 also had a perk called idiot savant that gave you a randomised chance of just instantly obliterating enemies and also tthe female voice actor did a great job with the 'dumb' voice lines and just leaned into doing a goofy voice

its actually crazy how stark the amount of contrast of personality between the two voice actors was because it confused me when people would say the voice acting was garbage because i always played the lady and then i tried a playthrough as a dude and quit at diamond city

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The guy does a better job as the Silver Shroud, but that's it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

F4 voice acting ruled because if you skipped dialogue a bunch they'd start throwing out annoyed "Uh-huh"s and stuff like that, Very immersive

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Okay so I reinstalled Against the Storm because it stuck itself into my mind and I kept thinking about it. And I really like it now! My complaint now is that the meta-progression is really really bad at hiding a bunch of mechanics and and tools that make the game more fun and varied. The game is legit more fun after a few key unlocks in a way that I think it should be at base.

I still think you get too little information at the start of every run, but it's no longer a deal breaker because of the extra tools you get making it less punishing not knowing exactly what you will face ahead of time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Phigs posted:

Okay so I reinstalled Against the Storm because it stuck itself into my mind and I kept thinking about it. And I really like it now! My complaint now is that the meta-progression is really really bad at hiding a bunch of mechanics and and tools that make the game more fun and varied. The game is legit more fun after a few key unlocks in a way that I think it should be at base.

I still think you get too little information at the start of every run, but it's no longer a deal breaker because of the extra tools you get making it less punishing not knowing exactly what you will face ahead of time.

This is my gripe with metaprogression games (roguelikes) in general. The "it will feel better once you experience how poo poo it feels before it buffs you to a 'normal' level".

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Ecco the Dolphin, for the first part of the game, has descriptions of the levels you're entering into. Pretty moody, evocative stuff, like how The Depths are so unknown that 'no songs have been sung of this place', that kind of stuff. Really brings a mysterious atmosphere of these locations that are, for all intents and purposes, pretty cut-and-paste. My favourite is the Open Ocean, which just simply states "The open ocean is cold and dangerous" which, lemme tell you, freaked me right the gently caress out as a kid.

Then about halfway through the game, these are just dropped entirely. No particular reason why, the descriptions just vanish, and never come back.

Edit: also the game is quite bad, but that's not really a little thing

ecco the dolphin is one of the best and most atmospheric games ever made. tides of time is also fantastic. honestly the machine is the only really bad part (and even then I give it credit for its audacity and originality)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

An Actual Princess posted:

ecco the dolphin is one of the best and most atmospheric games ever made. tides of time is also fantastic. honestly the machine is the only really bad part (and even then I give it credit for its audacity and originality)

In the second game there are these paths of water in the sky that you need to swim through, and if you fall out of them you need to restart. It's an autoscroller. The next level isn't an autoscroller, but instead has a giant jellyfish that will knock you off these paths, causing you to fall, then you'll need to restart the previous level.

The game is pretty infuriating, and it explains why every time I ask someone about it they say something to the degree of "oh I played it for a few hours but didn't get very far"

It is extremely atmospheric though, one of the best in that regard on the system. The music, graphics, even the near-poetic way that dialogue is presented, all excellent.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ive beaten both the original and tides of time several times each. Medusa is rough the first few times you deal with her definitely but there is a lot of cool poo poo past her, like the dark future levels that gently caress with gravity in bizarre ways. god I love ecco

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AC Black Flag: I'm used to the franchise's "tail someone without arousing suspicion" missions, but I was not expecting to do one in my ship, following someone else's ship. Full on stealth map with enemy ship's cones of vision and everything. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was also very tedious and I hope I'm not dooming myself by saying that I hope these sequences aren't a mainstay for the game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

AC Black Flag: I'm used to the franchise's "tail someone without arousing suspicion" missions, but I was not expecting to do one in my ship, following someone else's ship. Full on stealth map with enemy ship's cones of vision and everything. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but it was also very tedious and I hope I'm not dooming myself by saying that I hope these sequences aren't a mainstay for the game.

I remember them showing up but not often. But its been a bit

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The stealth ship missions had me laughing because of how absurd they were. Tailing missions were regularly the worst part of AC games and that was some next level ridiculousness.

Now it's the gear/ level scaling of odyssey. Such a huge letdown that I won't stop complaining about in a game with some great characters

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Every time you had to get off your ship or interact with the plot in Black Flag dragged that game down. It could have been a great Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold spiritual sequel but instead it was an Assassin's Creed game.

I did like that Edward was as uninterested in the Assassins v. Templars plot as I was.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Something was a bit off with the mission gating in Black Flag and it turned you loose in to the open world before the tutorial was fully complete. Naturally, I immediately hosed off to yo ho ho my way across the open seas for like 30 hours.

I only picked up the missions again when I had totally bought out every upgrade available to me with my plunder and needed to progress the story to unlock more.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ilmucche posted:

The stealth ship missions had me laughing because of how absurd they were. Tailing missions were regularly the worst part of AC games and that was some next level ridiculousness.

That was my thought, it was such a completely bonkers move that I had a good laugh and hoped it might be a one-off gag kinda thing. But oh well, at least it sounds like it's not *too* common.

And yeah, all the AssCreed stuff on land is fine, but I can already tell that it's a game I would've enjoyed more if it was just a standalone pirate game.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

ilmucche posted:

Man I hope this other ship never has any of the crew look anywhere but forward to notice the giant ship following them in calm waters and broad daylight!

I never managed to get to the free roaming boat mode of Black Flag. I never quit exactly but I just never went back to it after my last session with it. It just really did not do a good job of making me want to play it even though there was nothing truly offensive about it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Black Flag's biggest crime to me is that there's a lot of eavesdropping missions (stand in this circle next to your target and listen to them talk, don't get spotted or leave the circle because then it starts over). The ship stealth was so audacious to me that I wasn't really bothered.

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Now it's the gear/ level scaling of odyssey. Such a huge letdown that I won't stop complaining about in a game with some great characters

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure there's an option in settings to turn down the enemy level scaling. It doesn't switch it off entirely but enemies in easier areas end up a good few levels below you so you can have that "return to a low level area and destroy everything" feeling.

The greater crime IMO was the paid dlc which ups your xp gain rate to a reasonable level so you don't have to grind. To my shame I bought it, because I knew I wouldn't have fun with the game otherwise, but I greatly resented it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Phigs posted:

Man I hope this other ship never has any of the crew look anywhere but forward to notice the giant ship following them in calm waters and broad daylight!

Eh, considering the time period, and that there's only so many ports, I would imagine it wouldn't be that unusually to see another ship trailing you and following a similar route if you're both heading to the same port. Now, if that ship is drawing closer and closer, then I would be worried.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Randalor posted:

Eh, considering the time period, and that there's only so many ports, I would imagine it wouldn't be that unusually to see another ship trailing you and following a similar route if you're both heading to the same port. Now, if that ship is drawing closer and closer, then I would be worried.

I think it's specifically in a mangrove swamp, if I recall correctly. What's a heavily-armed brig doing in there?

Rogue has some open-water boat stealth, which makes more sense for the reason you said.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Phigs posted:

One of the biggest mental shifts is that you're not required and often shouldn't make certain decisions as soon as they're offered. You start with three blueprint draws available at the start of every run but outside of a few gimmes there no need to pick any immediately. You also have three initial orders to fulfill but again there's no need to pick them immediately. Open the first blueprint, see your options, close it, open the first order, see your options, close it, start developing with those in mind. Get a draw with a large camp? Get a trader down and push for a large glade to see if it's got a large node in it. Same for cornerstones, if you can't leverage either option yet there's no penalty to waiting and seeing.

The other thing is that there's massive redundancy built into the supply chains so there's very few hard lockouts if you do pick "wrong". Flour -> pie/biscuits is honestly the biggest one.

E; also any time you're picking a cornerstone or blueprint or similar the little picture of vegetables in the top left tells your what kinds of resources are on the map type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was my thought, it was such a completely bonkers move that I had a good laugh and hoped it might be a one-off gag kinda thing. But oh well, at least it sounds like it's not *too* common.

And yeah, all the AssCreed stuff on land is fine, but I can already tell that it's a game I would've enjoyed more if it was just a standalone pirate game.
Hey, if you run away from the plot as much as Edward does, it kind of is! :haw:

There's a few boat stealth sections, but not too many and they're thankfully all pretty short. Of course, the game does still have land trailing segments that are less ridiculous but somehow more annoying than the ocean ones.

Arrath posted:

Something was a bit off with the mission gating in Black Flag and it turned you loose in to the open world before the tutorial was fully complete. Naturally, I immediately hosed off to yo ho ho my way across the open seas for like 30 hours.

I only picked up the missions again when I had totally bought out every upgrade available to me with my plunder and needed to progress the story to unlock more.
Much like Skyrim, I find this the optimal way to play. To this day I have no clue what the plot of that game is past the first like ten minutes.