Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

History Comes Inside! posted:

Chiaki has been EZ on the deck forever and there’s an official windows remote play client for PS4/5 which has also existed forever this YouTube clown doesn’t know dick

I cannot find settings that work for me I always get intermittent or constant green artifact it / garbage on the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Chiaki has been EZ on the deck forever and there’s an official windows remote play client for PS4/5 which has also existed forever this YouTube clown doesn’t know dick

This is the dude who thought the concept of a reservation queue was confusing in his first Steam Deck video, he’s not the smartest guy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Miguel Prado posted:

Ace combat 7 is fantastic on the deck! A game I would probably never play on my desktop but on the couch with the deck it’s so good

All of the old games hold up too! I just started playing X on the psp emulator.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also all the launchers work on steam deck too?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

njsykora posted:

This is the dude who thought the concept of a reservation queue was confusing in his first Steam Deck video, he’s not the smartest guy.

I wish I could get YouTube influencer money for making videos about poo poo I don’t understand or know anything about I have so much potential content

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

njsykora posted:

Imo the dumbest thing Wulff's done is use a Steam Deck as the heart of an arcade cabinet, which is... Okay I guess you technically can but why would you even want that besides YouTube clicks

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Sunshine + Moonlight + Tailscale works unreasonably well, at least for 1080p and <200 miles.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Got my RMA'ed deck back, they did a good job with it. Replaced the faulty/mushy L trigger and my left stick, and while the L trigger still feels a bit odd to me at the full-press, it feels better. My guess is it's rubbing up against the shell itself. Tested it while I drained the battery to install the new quiet fan and 2tb drive, which I just finished up. Pain points:

-I decided to disconnect the battery as they tell you, reading comments on iFixIt I knew the battery cable had a tab that's tucked in that you pull on. Some people reported this ripping so I went between that and some plastic tools to get it out. I saw at least one report of someone bricking their deck through shorting the SSD screw so I wasn't gonna risk it.

-The fan's power connector wrapped around the metal removable shell for me, and dealing with that was a bit iffy. The new fan had lovely glue around its power connector that made it hard to tell if it was all the way in.

-I was worried about removing the stickers going into this, but being slow and steady worked out with no tears.

-Might have tightened the screws a bit much putting it all back together, we'll see if I ever take it apart again. Front-face buttons wouldn't work when I re-imaged until after Steam finished all its updates then it was back in business.

In the end, the SDD swap is dummy simple, the fan swap only slightly worse. 10/10 would do again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I swapped both at the same time, and I'd do it again. I'm mr. chaos!!!!!!!!

I was so emboldened by the experience I began considering changing the thumbsticks and maybe one day I can swap out the screen when there's a bezel-less OLED or something.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 21, 2023

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Vic posted:

Also all the launchers work on steam deck too?

I'll use the Battle.Net launcher as an example.

You can download the Battle.Net installer, set the installer as a steam app and then launch it to install Battle.Net

Then you can get rid of the installer and set Battle.Net as a steam app and you're good to go, and it'll show up in Steam's UI. Depending on specifics, you might need to click on the 'compatibility' checkbox in Battle.Net's properties in the Steam UI.

As an alternative, for the Epic Store and GoG I use Heroic. Heroic is a launcher which lets you log into/install Epic games. You can then either launch them from Heroic, or have it automatically add them to the native Steam UI.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Atoramos posted:

You can download the Battle.Net installer, set the installer as a steam app and then launch it to install Battle.Net

Then you can get rid of the installer and set Battle.Net as a steam app and you're good to go, and it'll show up in Steam's UI. Depending on specifics, you might need to click on the 'compatibility' checkbox in Battle.Net's properties in the Steam UI.

As an alternative, for the Epic Store and GoG I use Heroic. Heroic is a launcher which lets you log into/install Epic games. You can then either launch them from Heroic, or have it automatically add them to the native Steam UI.

I use Lutris to do all this automatically.

I was just saying the youtuber's saying ROG ally is for games from other launchers while having to deal with those without trackpad and stuff is hilarious.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
FWIW, I've not once successfully run a game from Heroic Launcher.

They install, but not one has ever launched. Best I've gotten is a spinning loading indicator thing that just sits there forever.

Lutris successfully installed Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst, and it launched. However, it completely failed to install Battle.Net, which I ended up installing manually.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Annath posted:

FWIW, I've not once successfully run a game from Heroic Launcher.

They install, but not one has ever launched. Best I've gotten is a spinning loading indicator thing that just sits there forever.

Lutris successfully installed Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst, and it launched. However, it completely failed to install Battle.Net, which I ended up installing manually.
:shrug: Everything I've installed through Heroic runs just fine, the biggest problem I had was that my EGS copy of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap had to be run in Desktop mode for some reason but I think even that eventually got sorted out via reinstalling Heroic.

Lutris, OTOH, would install GOG games just fine, but refused to actually log into the EGS, so I could never run any EGS games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Stock Deck trip report, dear god it feels so fast and immediate and my headphone jack works again and good god redownloading everything took a full day even with local transfer from my PC. I got Moonlight and Plex set back up nicely and installed a much slimmed down Emudeck. I got a Retroid Pocket 3+ to have as a lighter emulator handheld so I just installed the higher tier systems from Gamecube and up. Mostly though I used Emudeck to install Decky because while I don't miss the How Long To Beat or even ProtonDB Badges plugins yet I absolutely miss the Steam Grid DB plugin since Pac Man Championship Edition 2 never got the current Steam art format and it's driving me crazy. Also I need artwork for Moonlight and Plex.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

I swapped both at the same time, and I'd do it again. I'm mr. chaos!!!!!!!!

I was so emboldened by the experience I began considering changing the thumbsticks and maybe one day I can swap out the screen when there's a bezel-less OLED or something.

I only did my fan but the deck was a dream of electronics surgery in comparison to nearly everything, including shucking 3.5” hdds or changing headphone batteries and simple stuff like that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

tuyop posted:

I only did my fan but the deck was a dream of electronics surgery in comparison to nearly everything, including shucking 3.5” hdds or changing headphone batteries and simple stuff like that.

I replaced the sticks, and in terms of difficult console modifications, I'd go:

Dreamcast ODE < Steam Deck Gulikit (w/soldering) < Dreamcast BIOS battery replacement < Switch JoyCon shell swap

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Atoramos posted:

You dont even need to reinstall, you can just change the directory of the app if u know where it is. U can find that out using the "browse local files" or just guessing the appid under pfx

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I feel like the obvious answer is a simple "no", but is there any way to have non-Steam games' disk usage tracked in under Steam->Settings->Storage? I've installed a few games through Heroic/Itch but I think it's all being grouped under the "Other" category. Would be nice to have it broken down to know what to get rid of first when I'm running out of space (or I should probably just bite the bullet and order that bigger SSD..).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Annath posted:

I replaced the sticks, and in terms of difficult console modifications, I'd go:

Dreamcast ODE < Steam Deck Gulikit (w/soldering) < Dreamcast BIOS battery replacement < Switch JoyCon shell swap

It’s harder to apply a skin cleanly than to repair the Deck for SSD, button assemblies, sticks, fan.

Now, I have to do some soldering to replace the button for L1, so that will be more exciting.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Subjunctive posted:

It’s harder to apply a skin cleanly than to repair the Deck for SSD, button assemblies, sticks, fan.

Now, I have to do some soldering to replace the button for L1, so that will be more exciting.

I bought a really cool skin is really liked, then completely ruined it trying to apply it.

Although the skin was probably not a great choice anyway because it was... what's the opposite of a matte finish? I could see it getting slippery with just a hint of hand sweat.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Has anyone done a steam deck shell replacement? I'm very tempted by the JSAUX atomic purple one but I'm curious how difficult it is to do.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Back is easy peasy front is a nightmare guaranteed to ruin your day because the screen is glued in

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Annath posted:

I bought a really cool skin is really liked, then completely ruined it trying to apply it.

Although the skin was probably not a great choice anyway because it was... what's the opposite of a matte finish? I could see it getting slippery with just a hint of hand sweat.

You got a glossy skin? Yikes!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Back is easy peasy front is a nightmare guaranteed to ruin your day because the screen is glued in

Oh man. It looks like a nightmare. I pulled up the ifixit instructions and it's 105 steps. I was going to put in the hall effect sticks and thought maybe I'd swap out the shell at the same time but I don't think I want to deal with heating up screen adhesives and whatnot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think the back shell is still worth it at least, I don't have any fitment issues with the two I installed, and the metal plate to pull heat off actually has helped my Deck's fan not kick on so much (I have the loud brand in mine)

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

jokes posted:

You got a glossy skin? Yikes!

The design wasn't available in matte as far as I could see. It wasn't a dBrand skin.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I actually don’t mind my loud fan since it’s not actually that loud and it lets anyone around me know the kind of gaming power I have in my hands
Miss my deck smell

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy poo poo, System Shock 2 is quite playable with a few very minor tweaks in the controls.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

Holy poo poo, System Shock 2 is quite playable with a few very minor tweaks in the controls.

Nevermind,misread.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I also wanted to add that being able to play Fallout New Vegas on a portable device is goddamn amazing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

tango alpha delta posted:

Post em because I'm not happy with mine.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Ayo my good goons, I’m looking to get some of those sweet sweet accessories, what would you go - for a PS5 controller? 8bitdo ultimate? Or something else? And what to get in terms a keyboard + mouse? I saw an iClever foldable keyboard/mouse thing that looked pretty neat. Thanks goons!

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 22, 2023

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Ayo my good goons, I’m looking to get some of those sweet sweet accessories, what would you go - for a PS5 controller? 8bitdo ultimate? Or something else? Thanks goons!

I would never buy a controller without hall effect sticks ever again

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I would never buy a controller without hall effect sticks ever again

Why’s that? Any you’d recommend?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Why’s that? Any you’d recommend?

Stick drift is awful.

I love my 8bitdo Ultimate despite it not having a touchpad

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ve got a big rear end flight coming up in a couple days. What steps do I need to take to use it offline?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

hadji murad posted:

I’ve got a big rear end flight coming up in a couple days. What steps do I need to take to use it offline?

None really. Games work whether you're online or offline. If an update is scheduled and your connection goes out, Steam allows you to play it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hadji murad posted:

There's Offline mode, which makes it not connect to Steam but you can still use internet and play games. And there's Airplane mode, which makes it not use wifi/Bluetooth. Try them out.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
What the ideal dock/USB Hub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

What the ideal dock/USB Hub?

For Deck specifically the official Steam Dock is pretty awesome for the price. Otherwise any USB hub/dock will work with your Deck. Just buy one with USB Power Delivery 2/3 passthrough so you can power it too.