Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MS Teams is such a staggering piece of poo poo that is being pushed through solely because of Microsofts complete monopoly on the office workspace. Its good for MS right now, but its going to have the opposite effect because everyone hates teams SO MUCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vampire Panties posted:

MS Teams is such a staggering piece of poo poo that is being pushed through solely because of Microsofts complete monopoly on the office workspace. Its good for MS right now, but its going to have the opposite effect because everyone hates teams SO MUCH

The problem here is that no one is actually making office communication software worth a drat. The 'best' version of this is arguably Slack, which *just* figured out that maybe more then one window is a pretty cool feature. It's still dogshit.

Every electron app without exception is a steaming pile of poo poo.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

euphronius posted:

Cloud storage is so unintuitive that any benefit it may have is vastly outweighed by the confusion it causes

People understood local saves and emailing a file. This cloud nonsense is opaque. When it works, which it does not all of the time

This is mostly Microsoft/onedrives fault. It constantly railroads you into using it as a save destination and using auto save by default, in addition to every other Microsoft office app forcing you to basically share files from SharePoint instead of sending the file as an attachment as a cold copy.

People emailing live cloud files and not realising and then having someone start making edits, auto save functionality then loving up the draft they just 'sent' to people for review etc

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Laserface posted:

This is mostly Microsoft/onedrives fault. It constantly railroads you into using it as a save destination and using auto save by default, in addition to every other Microsoft office app forcing you to basically share files from SharePoint instead of sending the file as an attachment as a cold copy.

People emailing live cloud files and not realising and then having someone start making edits, auto save functionality then loving up the draft they just 'sent' to people for review etc

Tangential but in another life I was T1 support for a major pharma company that used Lotus SmartSuite. The word processor used the program directory as the default save location, which caused trouble when sales reps would overwrite the executable while trying to save the file they were editing.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

erosion posted:

Tangential but in another life I was T1 support for a major pharma company that used Lotus SmartSuite. The word processor used the program directory as the default save location, which caused trouble when sales reps would overwrite the executable while trying to save the file they were editing.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I worked in a law firm like … 25 years ago that had better version control software then MS

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The problem here is that no one is actually making office communication software worth a drat. The 'best' version of this is arguably Slack, which *just* figured out that maybe more then one window is a pretty cool feature. It's still dogshit.

Slack sucks rear end

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My work literally took away our landlines and made us use teams for calls

Landline telephones are probably one of the most success technologies ever

There has been like 50 emails this year about how people should not use work phones now to dial 911 lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

erosion posted:

lmfao

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Cloud storage is so unintuitive that any benefit it may have is vastly outweighed by the confusion it causes

People understood local saves and emailing a file. This cloud nonsense is opaque. When it works, which it does not all of the time

but cloud storage still works right sometimes, as compared to Sharepoint which I have literally never seen work correctly

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

:hai: WebRTC should've ripped the doors open on collaboration software, because it had always been held that the mic & camera were the hardest parts, but as it turns out nobody has any idea what a good communication client would look like. Some brainiac figured out that everyone lives in email anyway, so they cribbed the interface (actually for Slack, which MS 100% stole) and made it chat-object focused instead of email focused. It should work, because humans have been using letter style communication for thousands of years, but it somehow doesnt.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do you gently caress up “I’m emailing your a file, make changes and email it back to me “

This is what people want to do !! Ahhh

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

smartphone fingerprint readers being built into the screen. they're software readers instead of a piece of hardware and they suck loving rear end. the pixel 3 I got in 2018 reads my fingerprints in a split second while the in screen reader on the pixel 7 fails to read my finger multiple times every day

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Peggy Edson posted:

smartphone fingerprint readers being built into the screen. they're software readers instead of a piece of hardware and they suck loving rear end. the pixel 3 I got in 2018 reads my fingerprints in a split second while the in screen reader on the pixel 7 fails to read my finger multiple times every day

I really don't want to replace this S8+ but the USB C port hasn't worked in years and only wirelessly charging your phone is a big deal when you go places

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

My work literally took away our landlines and made us use teams for calls

Landline telephones are probably one of the most success technologies ever

There has been like 50 emails this year about how people should not use work phones now to dial 911 lol

:hai: this is what I :airquote: do :airquote: professionally (migrate phone systems to the cloud) and there's a lot of really interesting stupid groupthink on how office collaboration should work. Middle management has decided that nobody talks on the phone and everyone chats now. Also there is a very big groupthink to push services to the cloud to cut costs, but I can say confidently that moving your phone system to the cloud is usually more expensive than the on-premise solution they've been using for years. RE: 911, there's a bunch of recent federal laws passed saying that anyone should be able to walk up to any phone and dial 911, and the operator should be able to resolve that phone call to a physical location with X amount of feet. Combine these things together, plus the general shittiness of MS Teams with hardware devices, and middle management across the board is being pushed to pull handsets from desks entirely.

which is a real motherfucker, because after auditing a shitload of Business Unit Leader types across numerous business/industries, people need their phones, and they need them to work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s the stupidest poo poo ever. Literally no one can call me Becuase my telephony desk thing hasn’t worked in years . So just more email

I get voice messages as email !

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My only thought when my last plant got rid of landlines was, "thank God only 20 people work on my side through 3 shifts and it's shutting down in March"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve had to give important clients my personal cell phone number which is not optimal

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
one of the BU leaders I interviewed was a scientist managing a team of scientists at a manufacturing company. Their office phone had worked when everyone was sent home for COVID. Seemingly the telecom department was going to provision a remote phone/client for them, and instead just deleted the entire line and then stopped responding to the BU leader. Since the BU leader still needed to speak with the outside world & didnt want to give out their personal cell to vendors and poo poo, they created a free Zoom account, and then would create a half hour meeting with two participants, and then would force the conference platform to dial outbound to whomever she wanted to call. They worked that way for months :stare:

Executives see IT as a cost center, nothing more. They truly and honestly dont care how the peons work as long as the work gets done. Which is a double :lol::lmao: with the entirely-articifial RTO mandate poo poo

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
I don't really have a problem with Photoshop being a subscription, I guess, because I am stupid. On the other hand every time I use it my monitor flickers off and on constantly and yesterday it crashed my graphics drivers, and the monitor, and itself, and I lost all my work. That wasn't cool and this never happened when it was license-based

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I used to tutor and teach Adobe products and hosed right out of that the second I couldn't buy a license. I took the hit and learned Affinity products instead. For the cost of 2 months of Adobe Creative Suite™, I have a perpetual license to an equivalent to Illustrator and Photoshop forever.

And also, they don't steal my work to train some legally nebulous AI.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
Hey thanks. I don't know if I could use GIMP without going insane, but just checking Affinity out... very nice.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It might be time to dust off the old cs2 install files. Have there even been any killer improvements in graphic/text/layout stuff if you don't care about ai fill?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Sentient Data posted:

It might be time to dust off the old cs2 install files. Have there even been any killer improvements in graphic/text/layout stuff if you don't care about ai fill?

not enough to make it a subscription service worth your money if you have a TOTALLY LEGITIMATE copy of Photoshop and you're paying for it out of your own pocket

I'm still using CS 2020

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I use the content-aware fill tool every so often and that's the only reason I install Photoshop CC 2020 over CS6.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
OK, I'll be the one to say that akshyually GIMP is pretty good

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Peggy Edson posted:

yeah I used to have a Pixel 6A and swapped to the 7A and had a real "what the gently caress" moment trying to set up the fingerprint reader, it's a total non-starter

Google Maps feels like it's getting worse re: location tracking. Is it just me? What are the alternatives?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

euphronius posted:

I’ve had to give important clients my personal cell phone number which is not optimal

This also pisses me off, though it has more to do with the nature of my job at a state institution that has over time slowly been pulling back on the idea of paying for a company cell. I'm genuinely tempted to get a burner.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Doc Fission posted:

Google Maps feels like it's getting worse re: location tracking. Is it just me? What are the alternatives?

you're gonna lol but: apple maps

they've sort of switched usability in the past few years, don't ask me how and why and assume it's temporary, as enshittification continues

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

euphronius posted:

How do you gently caress up “I’m emailing your a file, make changes and email it back to me “

This is what people want to do !! Ahhh

Along those same lines, MS broke the comments and tracked changes feature on Word at some point, at least on osx. It will accommodate an unspecified number of comments and changes, after which the file will no longer save. I found out while editing a student’s thesis.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Sure. Just do whatever you want.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vampire Panties posted:

Hey let’s make multiuser PCs untenable by clogging up everyone’s profile with 1Gb to 4Gb of service worker cache just for an IM program.

I get 5 tickets a week just because teams clogged an SSD down to the last kilobyte and I have to delete files remotely enough to be able to log in and run a script. Also Windows is happy to let you use up space to 0KB and then backfill the space you clear with more crap as you delete.

Popoto posted:

you're gonna lol but: apple maps

they've sort of switched usability in the past few years, don't ask me how and why and assume it's temporary, as enshittification continues

I’ve been hearing this on the somethingawful.com forums more and more

Makes sense. Apple wants features and updates to put in IOS every year, Google notoriously doesn’t give a gently caress about products after release and eventually just sunsets them or lets them stagnate.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 22, 2023

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

OK, I'll be the one to say that akshyually GIMP is pretty good

Yeah, and PhotoGIMP makes the interface much nicer. It's great that it's free and runs on everything since it's one of the programs that's always useful to have.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Just got back from the phone store and am feeling irrationally mad.

Verizon charges a loving arm and a leg for service. My entire family decided to switch to Spectrum service instead, which uses the Verizon cell towers, but for a fraction of the cost. Take a hit on the allowed data but we never even came close to hitting it so it didn't matter. Great deal. Every single line on the plan got moved over except mine. Which got stuck in the transfer process somewhere between when Verizon ended my line and Spectrum was able to activate it. I was told I was forced to go to the actual Verizon store and show my ID to get a new transfer PIN generated. A real pain in the loving rear end, especially when I have no GPS to get to a Verizon store (I have moved recently and have no idea where one is). I manage to get down to the store and am immediately hit with more road blocks. Problems because I am not an authorized user on the account, but the authorized user has already left the account. Again, another weird limbo. I sat there for an hour while the nice store worker helped, but then told me I actually can't be helped and need to go to a Corporate Verizon store. I told them that was going to be problematic and needed them to fix it there. More garbage road blocks and hurdles, as you'd expect. Just a never ending cycle of various customer support people she was calling on speaker phone telling her that they couldn't generate new PINs etc. Eventually she pulled it off, for which I am thankful. But jesus christ was that a hassle. gently caress you, Verizon.

After it's all said and done I asked to buy a phone. She can't sell me a phone unless I have Verizon service... what? You have phones. I have money. Let me exchange money for a loving phone, dawg. Now I have to go to an Apple store to be able to buy an iPhone that is not attached to a service provider. Whack as gently caress. And why do I want a new phone? Because I have an iPhone 7 Plus. And it works perfectly fine. But Apple has decided that they are not going to allow me to upgrade my operating system on the phone, and it won't be supported. Consequently, I cannot upgrade any of my apps or download new apps, because they are only supported for the new operating system versions. Effectively this is a soft forced upgrade. My phone works perfectly fine except it's battery being trash (another lol from Apple), but it doesn't really matter because I barely use my phone and I work from home so it's always able to be charged. Now I get to spend $1,200 on a phone I don't "need".

I am in phone hell. gently caress you Verizon. gently caress you Apple. gently caress your dumb bullshit. I swear I felt like Dennis in the new IASIP episode.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Windows 98 posted:

Just got back from the phone store and am feeling irrationally mad.

Verizon charges a loving arm and a leg for service. My entire family decided to switch to Spectrum service instead, which uses the Verizon cell towers, but for a fraction of the cost. Take a hit on the allowed data but we never even came close to hitting it so it didn't matter. Great deal. Every single line on the plan got moved over except mine. Which got stuck in the transfer process somewhere between when Verizon ended my line and Spectrum was able to activate it. I was told I was forced to go to the actual Verizon store and show my ID to get a new transfer PIN generated. A real pain in the loving rear end, especially when I have no GPS to get to a Verizon store (I have moved recently and have no idea where one is). I manage to get down to the store and am immediately hit with more road blocks. Problems because I am not an authorized user on the account, but the authorized user has already left the account. Again, another weird limbo. I sat there for an hour while the nice store worker helped, but then told me I actually can't be helped and need to go to a Corporate Verizon store. I told them that was going to be problematic and needed them to fix it there. More garbage road blocks and hurdles, as you'd expect. Just a never ending cycle of various customer support people she was calling on speaker phone telling her that they couldn't generate new PINs etc. Eventually she pulled it off, for which I am thankful. But jesus christ was that a hassle. gently caress you, Verizon.

After it's all said and done I asked to buy a phone. She can't sell me a phone unless I have Verizon service... what? You have phones. I have money. Let me exchange money for a loving phone, dawg. Now I have to go to an Apple store to be able to buy an iPhone that is not attached to a service provider. Whack as gently caress. And why do I want a new phone? Because I have an iPhone 7 Plus. And it works perfectly fine. But Apple has decided that they are not going to allow me to upgrade my operating system on the phone, and it won't be supported. Consequently, I cannot upgrade any of my apps or download new apps, because they are only supported for the new operating system versions. Effectively this is a soft forced upgrade. My phone works perfectly fine except it's battery being trash (another lol from Apple), but it doesn't really matter because I barely use my phone and I work from home so it's always able to be charged. Now I get to spend $1,200 on a phone I don't "need".

I am in phone hell. gently caress you Verizon. gently caress you Apple. gently caress your dumb bullshit. I swear I felt like Dennis in the new IASIP episode.

God, that’s galling. Can they not sell you an iPhone SE? That’s still not cheap and won’t fix the fundamental rotten inequity of the system, but it would cost a lot less than $1,200…

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Hasturtium posted:

God, that’s galling. Can they not sell you an iPhone SE? That’s still not cheap and won’t fix the fundamental rotten inequity of the system, but it would cost a lot less than $1,200…

honestly I am not even that mad over the money. it's the principle of it. gently caress these guys.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
As bad as verizon is, that one's actually not their fault. For the past couple generations of iphone, the only way to get an unlocked one is direct through apple. They don't give unlocked ones to any other retailers, though the retailers aren't that mad since they made basically 0 on the phone itself anyway

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

that just sounds like a different flavor of getting shittier for no good reason :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

caleb posted:

Sure. Just do whatever you want.

One feature of excel that I'm pretty sure is a bug, hasn't been fixed in years, and for which I haven't found any solution is that if you use "separate into columns" with any seeing other than default, it will gently caress up how copy pasting works EVERYWHERE and it will try to separate anything you insert into a worksheet without asking. So you have to do a fake separation on some random data to reset the settings first to make the copy pasting work properly again. Infuriating as gently caress.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i hate to sound like a boomer but man modern vinyl records sound like loving garbage. i dunno what part of the process makes it so, but i remember buying a Gucci Mane LP and it just sounded like absolute poo poo compared to the spotify files, to the point where i had to return it. same experience with some death metal records as well, most weren't that bad but all the modern stuff sounded either the same or slightly to extremely worse than spotify

but anything i had from the 60s or 70s sounded immaculate, even the ones that were beat to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Probably because records from the 60s were produced for vinyl. And digital just is better, there's no way around it so you won't find a magical modern release that sounds better on vinyl.