Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

drat Hakuoho, if you're gonna do my man Nishikigi like that you better not go easy on Hokutofuji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

I think it was tactical too - on one of the mattas Abi stands up and to the side a bit, then mattas himself, then they finally have a live start. Maybe I'm giving our boy genius too much credit but I thought he sniffed out the henka and went early to force Abi into showing his hand :tinfoil:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1682290070689312772
Chiyonokuni has retired.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh well that's sad, the man was once 1 kk basho away from san'yaku. I wonder if he'll stay in sumo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bessantj posted:

Oh well that's sad, the man was once 1 kk basho away from san'yaku. I wonder if he'll stay in sumo.

he apparently has a kabu, kintamayama gave his new elder name during his digest and said he’s staying in sumo

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

The sumoforum thread says he's getting the Sanoyama name and it's triggering a bunch of cascading name changes but he's got a job.

Just looked at the tournament that got him promoted to M1e and the guy that took the K spot ahead of him was just 8-7 so just one result in there swinging the right way could have been enough.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thauros posted:

he apparently has a kabu, kintamayama gave his new elder name during his digest and said he’s staying in sumo

pseudodragon posted:

The sumoforum thread says he's getting the Sanoyama name and it's triggering a bunch of cascading name changes but he's got a job.

Just looked at the tournament that got him promoted to M1e and the guy that took the K spot ahead of him was just 8-7 so just one result in there swinging the right way could have been enough.

Excellent.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
potentially odd sumo question: has anyone gone their whole career without going makekoshi? Obviously a full undefeated career is mathematically impossible, but beyond people who were only in the sport for about five minutes like Kototenzan I was wondering if anyone'd pulled it off

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

potentially odd sumo question: has anyone gone their whole career without going makekoshi? Obviously a full undefeated career is mathematically impossible, but beyond people who were only in the sport for about five minutes like Kototenzan I was wondering if anyone'd pulled it off

Shonanzakura had 3 wins over the course of a 7 year career.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
makekoshi is losing record, not winning record

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Flesnolk posted:

I have no idea how to look this up but my guess is no, even Hakuho had makekoshi tournaments early in his career (and later, if you include ones where he pulled out with injury).

This guy is the closest I could find https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=6527 (outside of incomplete records from like the 1800s)

here's a query
and here's another query so you can pick up where I left off but uh yeah, this isn't exactly clean.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tuning back in after a break.

Shodai, c/d?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Flesnolk posted:

There was an 1800s-era rikishi called Raiden who was never MKed, although there were only two tournaments per year back then.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3143
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Tameemon

FWIW, a lot of wrestlers from that era could technically claim that they never MKed, but the standards were different back then -- they didn't consider kyujo as a loss, and matches could end in draws (which also didn't count as a loss). Raiden is the only one from that era that actually just showed up and KKed every tournament he played in, as far as I know. Absolute unit.

I would be shocked if anyone in the modern era managed to go their entire career without an MK, short of "hosed around in Jonidan for a basho or two and decided to quit early."

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 21, 2023

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Tuning back in after a break.

Shodai, c/d?

Affirmative, Shodai

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ullerrm posted:

l would be shocked if anyone in the modern era managed to go their entire career without an MK, short of "hosed around in Jonidan for a basho or two and decided to quit early."

Only way I could see it happening at a high level would be a college guy coming in semi-formed so he skips the inevitable growing pains of a 16 year old prospect going up against grown rear end men who suffers an unfortunate catastrophic career ending injury as he hits the upper M or sanyaku ranks after just enough tournaments to fill the subjective "not just experimenting" criteria so he avoids the inevitable fluke tournament/late career struggles/minor non-kyujo but performance affecting injuries.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

If chaos reigns and Hakuoho clinches the yusho, he'll have tied The People's Champ, Tokushoryu, for the lowest ranked to win top division.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

some of you who also pay attention to pro wrestling may know this guy as john tenta.

here is what is publicly out and on wiki

quote:

"Despite doing well as a newcomer he soon quit the sport due to the difficulty of the sumo lifestyle and the toll the hard ring surface was taking on his body.[11] Tenta commented, "Nothing I have ever done – not football, not college wrestling – compares with the kind of physical abuse you inflict on your body in sumo."[12] In addition, the sumo world frowned on the large tattoo of a tiger on his left biceps and, though he covered it during matches, would have required him to remove it via skin graft before moving up to the higher-level competitions. In Japan, tattoos are associated with gangsters, and public display is widely prohibited.[13] Tenta's decision to quit was criticized by his stablemaster, while the head of the Japan Sumo Association Kasugano (the former yokozuna Tochinishiki), said Tenta had become arrogant after his run of consecutive victories. "He thought it would be easy. But there is no job in this world that is harder. It is better for him to leave."[12]"

john gunning used to be on a discord server i used and hinted there was more to the story as in some sort of scandal but didn't elaborate

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

ullerrm posted:

There was an 1800s-era rikishi called Raiden who was never MKed, although there were only two tournaments per year back then.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=3143
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raiden_Tameemon

FWIW, a lot of wrestlers from that era could technically claim that they never MKed, but the standards were different back then -- they didn't consider kyujo as a loss, and matches could end in draws (which also didn't count as a loss). Raiden is the only one from that era that actually just showed up and KKed every tournament he played in, as far as I know. Absolute unit.

I would be shocked if anyone in the modern era managed to go their entire career without an MK, short of "hosed around in Jonidan for a basho or two and decided to quit early."

for what it's worth I'm not convinced Raiden actually existed lol, but fair enough

Also I did specifically mention Kototenzan!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

for what it's worth I'm not convinced Raiden actually existed lol, but fair enough

legit completely forgot the guy's actual shikona so i didn't realize lol

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thauros posted:

some of you who also pay attention to pro wrestling may know this guy as john tenta.

here is what is publicly out and on wiki

john gunning used to be on a discord server i used and hinted there was more to the story as in some sort of scandal but didn't elaborate

I think it came out before Tenta died that he was subjected to some pretty intense hazing/bullying/abuse.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-NpBn-qP_k

quote:

"There's a lot of demands and a lot of pressure put on you," Tenta told Midday. "I had to answer to guys that were much younger than me, I had to do anything that my senior wrestlers asked me."

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

I don't see any reason to doubt Raiden's existence. I'm sure stories about him are exagerated, but early 1800s is recent enough that I don't think it would be easy to invent a dude from scratch.

I'm imagining the sumo world being something like the modern lower divisions where everyone is just going off of natural ability and instinct as any sort of technique and coaching would suck. Basically, I think Raiden was just Hokuseiho in Jonokuchi and invincible due to being a freak of nature giant out bigging everyone rather than like proto-Hakuho destroying high level supposed peers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Just FYI I caught up with bouts and was gonna post today's standings and I found a weird thing in my spreadsheets that I need to fix before I can post the results, so I'll have them later tonight.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

We are potentially in for the giant macaron being held above a head that doesn't even have a top knot yet. Wild poo poo.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I love how the entire arena reacts to this tachiai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HInT8Re67U0

Also, I buffered the natto vid of the makuuchi and watched it on a plane today. I think I literally made a :pogchamp: face at the Hakuoho/Nishikigi match.

Edit: Hopefully this trade was registered?

Nativity In Black posted:

I would like to trade Shodai to get Asanoyama back please!

It's points for day 13, but day 14 will be make or break.

Edit 2:

I've been rewatching this Hakuoho/Nishikigi match and I'm still kinda amazed by it. On my first watch, I was a little surprised that Nishikigi didn't win off the initial push to the rope, but you can see that lil' Hak kick's at his leg, which makes him pull back a bit. They go to the classic mid sumo match 'tie up and take a breather' and it's not like Nishkigi's leg appears out of nowhere to kick. Hakuoho seems to pull in such a way that puts the leg where he can kick. It's nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zOXGSqv5wo

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 22, 2023

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Edit: Hopefully this trade was registered?

It's points for day 13, but day 14 will be make or break.

Typically you can't trade after day 8, and trades that do happen are when your current pick goes kyujo. Maybe there could be some special exemption for a previous kyujo trade if your formerly kyujo pick comes back, but I don't believe that's ever been done. Usually people will just explicitly decide to keep their kyujo wrestler on the team.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Typically you can't trade after day 8, and trades that do happen are when your current pick goes kyujo. Maybe there could be some special exemption for a previous kyujo trade if your formerly kyujo pick comes back, but I don't believe that's ever been done. Usually people will just explicitly decide to keep their kyujo wrestler on the team.

Well there goes my chances at a full kk team.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I've been rewatching this Hakuoho/Nishikigi match and I'm still kinda amazed by it. On my first watch, I was a little surprised that Nishikigi didn't win off the initial push to the rope, but you can see that lil' Hak kick's at his leg, which makes him pull back a bit. They go to the classic mid sumo match 'tie up and take a breather' and it's not like Nishkigi's leg appears out of nowhere to kick. Hakuoho seems to pull in such a way that puts the leg where he can kick. It's nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zOXGSqv5wo
Watching it in slow motion, to break out of the lean and move mid match, HakJr does a sort of hip pivot feint. Nishikigi falls for this feint and steps forward with his right, expecting to take advantage of the opening. However, HakJr stands his ground and uses Nishikigi's now wide stance to sweep his right leg, then pushes forward to use the sudden imbalance and momentum to send Nishikigi down.

At least that's what I think is happening.

It's brilliant either way!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Brut posted:

I have no idea how to look this up but my guess is no, even Hakuho had makekoshi tournaments early in his career (and later, if you include ones where he pulled out with injury).
he's still probably the closest you'll ever get to it for those who had a 'real' career (made sekitori or whatever metric): two actual makekoshi, one in jonokuchi, one in sandanme, one withdrawal as a sekiwake when he was 6-3, and after that only the 'excused' absences as ozeki and yokozuna in over 20 years on the dohyo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Apraxin posted:

he's still probably the closest you'll ever get to it for those who had a 'real' career (made sekitori or whatever metric): two actual makekoshi, one in jonokuchi, one in sandanme, one withdrawal as a sekiwake when he was 6-3, and after that only the 'excused' absences as ozeki and yokozuna in over 20 years on the dohyo

Well the other guy I pulled up, Wakanoho also only has 2 makekoshi, though, a much shorter career overall.

Edit: ohhh apparently he got forced to retire due to weed smoking, hahaha drat, that's another kachikoshi beyond the ones listed on sumodb.

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 22, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
oh yeah, the 00's weed-smoking rikishi epidemic (like maybe 4 guys expelled for getting caught with a joint lol)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

All hail Hakuoho, the new Lord of Chaos. Good GOD.

HOSHORYU! Caught Waka Motors' henka in midair and just disposed of him. His run is still alive!

Onosho with a huuuuuge stink face for Daieisho: https://clips.twitch.tv/ThirstyFantasticTriangleTF2John-RWuOiVDIu4yZKP0Y

Bentai fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 22, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
hell yeah, welcome to the chaos loving reigns basho

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
is miyagino's smugness detectable through the covid mask? because it should be.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Hoshoryu vs Hakuoho tomorrow. If Hokutofuji loses, could be a yusho decider.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I am obviously rooting for Hokutofuji all the way, but that was a well-deserved win by Hak Jr. Super impressive stuff.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

loving day 14 of his fourth basho as a professional sumo wrestler and Hakuoho is a legit yusho contender in a position to kill an ozeki run. loving amazing. Super excited to see where he goes from here.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I'm thinking Hoshoryu might get ozeki regardless of how tomorrow goes because he's sitting at 32 and a potential jun-yusho. If he was Japanese I'd say it's a lock so hoping he clinches the title and they have no choice.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

None of the ozeki contenders have had their runs ended in that they have to start over, have they? It's more that at least a couple will have to do very well in at least one other bashoto earn promotion right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Fearless posted:

None of the ozeki contenders have had their runs ended in that they have to start over, have they? It's more that at least a couple will have to do very well in at least one other bashoto earn promotion right?

Uh lets see. Putting this in spoiler tags because it includes their result from today.

Wakamotoharu if he wins tomorrow will have 10 for the last basho and 10 for this one, needing 13 next basho to reach 33, not impossible, but also not that likely. If he loses tomorrow, it would be 14 next basho.

Daiesho Is in the same situation as Wakamotoharu

Promotions with 32 wins have happened, and I think there was even a promotion with 31 wins at some point in the last few years? I know Goeido was 32 but I can't think of who the 31 was, unless I accidentally made it up.

Hoshoryu still has a live Ozeki run right now, he'll be at 33 if he wins tomorrow, but even if he loses (and doesn't still get promoted) he'll be at 11 and 11, so needing another 11 to reach 33 next basho. The main reason I think 32 won't get him promoted this time is that 2 of the wins last basho were fusen.