Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Hypnobeard posted:

If it's ambiguous, why are you choosing to read it in the most restrictive way possible? Just.. don't. Read it in the more permissive way and enjoy the game.

Because I know munchkin players and if I ran it I know it'd come down to having to explain why you can lie that the safe is unlocked when you can't see the locking mechanism, but can't lie that the safe is open while you are outside the building with it in (hey, the safe's in the building in the same way the lock's in the safe, right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hypnobeard posted:

If it's ambiguous, why are you choosing to read it in the most restrictive way possible? Just.. don't. Read it in the more permissive way and enjoy the game.

In this case, broadly, the problem is that there are three “classes” in the game: one that can affect only people, one only non living matter and objects, and one that can affect past events. The problem is that “events” covers the intersection of all peoples and objects, so the one class can either do basically everything the other classes can do, or nothing at all, on a wildly swing basis depending on how you choose to interpret the contradictory examples given.

The other problem is that the game is full of the usual dumb monte cook horseshit, like having leather working and animal handling on the skill list for your game of reality altering heist agents.

Having said that, it is quite a bit less lovely than his games usually are.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 21, 2023

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Parkreiner posted:

You made me double-check whether OVA shipped, since I recalled getting my copy (not that I’ve played it…).
I almost didn’t put that one on the list, because the core did come out, but figured it being several years late + following with 7 years of total radio silence on the app / supplements earned it a spot.

Do remember the game itself looking better at what it’s supposed to do than BESM, but that’s not a particularly high bar.

Parkreiner posted:

I dunno, it’s certainly not good when stretch goals don’t materialize, but I put that as a lesser sin than just straight up not delivering the core product. I have a bunch of RPGs I kickstarted that got the main book out and some to none of the stretch goals, but I think Mountain Witch 2nd ed is the only one that completely fizzled on me.
There’s two main reasons I steer clear of board/vidya game kickstarters, which AFAIK are way worse on delivering.

Actually, if we think from a “got at least some of what was promised for the money” perspective, I’ve been let down by fewer Kickstarters in total than I have by orders w/ comic/game stores that shuttered. :psyduck:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AmiYumi posted:

I almost didn’t put that one on the list, because the core did come out, but figured it being several years late + following with 7 years of total radio silence on the app / supplements earned it a spot.

Do remember the game itself looking better at what it’s supposed to do than BESM, but that’s not a particularly high bar.

OVA's fine as a generic system with an eye towards anime elements but it became increasingly clear that if you want to emulate a Cowboy Bebop or similar you really want a bespoke system.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

In this case, broadly, the problem is that there are three “classes” in the game: one that can affect only people, one only non living matter and objects, and one that can affect past events. The problem is that “events” covers the intersection of all peoples and objects, so the one class can either do basically everything the other classes can do, or nothing at all, on a wildly swing basis depending on how you choose to interpret the contradictory examples given.

The other problem is that the game is full of the usual dumb monte cook horseshit, like having leather working and animal handling on the skill list for your game of reality altering heist agents.

Having said that, it is quite a bit less lovely than his games usually are.

The story is also Cook'd up needlessly. Like on reading the first thing you get is "Oh okay, someone read Anathem recently, I gotcha." But then like the devil in the title is literal.

To me the biggest failing of the game is that it's a lifeship full of 39th century (or something, it's been a bit) time refugees that have superpowers and have been dimension hopping for decades through the wildest places that causality can even dream up, and then the game starts and you're trying not to change too much about... office buildings in downtown Toronto in 2022.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Disclaimer: I'm reading the Primer so there may be differences between that and the final game

Yeah this seems to be a problem. You have two classes that can affect things now, and a class than can do both of those things as long as they "started" in the past. The Schemers are diplomancers+ and the Planners are the "casts Disable Device" I guessed at earlier, while the Plotters are mainly limited by how well you can sell to the GM.

The definition of "events" is less than clear. One of the examples is a guard didn't arrive because his alarm didn't go off - so you can make an alarm clock fail in the past just by willing it. I can't "make the car stop running" but can I declare they ran over a rock earlier which cracked the radiator and the whole engine is going to overheat just about... now?

Animal Handling and Animal Care are separate skills because

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 21, 2023

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Splicer posted:

Animal Handling leads a horse to water and Animal Care persuades him to drink it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, it's funny to me cause it's the Storytelling system, the nWoD one. 10s don't explode, instead you get a choice of bennies. And you get an helpful chart of probabilities too.

Honestly I like the system a lot so far, although it needs to be tried in-play to see how it rolls.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splicer posted:

I remember the revelation it was to put so many things under a blanket 'Athletics.'

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

OVA's fine as a generic system with an eye towards anime elements but it became increasingly clear that if you want to emulate a Cowboy Bebop or similar you really want a bespoke system.

Thankfully there are not one but two games that have come out in the last couple of years that are bespoke Cowboy Bebop emulation systems.

drat, I can't believe Monte Cook made 3.x all over again all over again all over again; I'm truly shocked.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

FATE Accelerated coming up in the F&F thread reminded me of something I’m not sure I shared here

A few months ago I was re-reading Breakfast Cult and a serendipitous moment of music on shuffle made me realize: The Flaming Lips’s “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part I” is a full character sheet

Her name is Yoshimi
She’s a black belt in karate
Workin’ for the city
She has to discipline her body

(Special skills, group affiliation, pressing drive; I’ve come to the table with less than that)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

Thankfully there are not one but two games that have come out in the last couple of years that are bespoke Cowboy Bebop emulation systems.

It was just the first series I could think of because I'm an old.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AmiYumi posted:

There’s two main reasons I steer clear of board/vidya game kickstarters, which AFAIK are way worse on delivering.

Actually, if we think from a “got at least some of what was promised for the money” perspective, I’ve been let down by fewer Kickstarters in total than I have by orders w/ comic/game stores that shuttered. :psyduck:

The worst I've ever been burned by a Kickstarter(which thankfully has only happened a couple times) was the one Jason Pearson did for a new set of Body Bags comics, he did basically jack poo poo for about seven years before he died back in December and took 60 of my dollars to the grave with him because he was a talented artist but probably had the worst work ethic of any comic book artist I've ever seen

Worst burn for a traditional games Kickstarter would be for The Forest Hymn & Picnic where the creator just ghosted everyone about a year after the Kickstarter ended

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

drrockso20 posted:

Worst burn for a traditional games Kickstarter would be for The Forest Hymn & Picnic where the creator just ghosted everyone about a year after the Kickstarter ended

Oh, huh, so that's why I never heard anything about that game after the initial hype. I had it in "wait and see if people still like it on full release" status, but... that answers that.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

FATE Accelerated coming up in the F&F thread reminded me of something I’m not sure I shared here

A few months ago I was re-reading Breakfast Cult and a serendipitous moment of music on shuffle made me realize: The Flaming Lips’s “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part I” is a full character sheet

Her name is Yoshimi
She’s a black belt in karate
Workin’ for the city
She has to discipline her body

(Special skills, group affiliation, pressing drive; I’ve come to the table with less than that)

It is a little late for me to add new characters to the final expansion but what if... what if I just... :thunk:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megazver posted:

wow a system uses a 1d20 for its resolution roll like about several thousand others, i literally shat myself howling with laughter

It's a knee slapper alright

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, huh, so that's why I never heard anything about that game after the initial hype. I had it in "wait and see if people still like it on full release" status, but... that answers that.
One of the things sitting in my “unsorted RPG PDFs” folder turned out to be written for that, somehow, and I guess put up on itch when its author realized the scam

Had a hell of a time figuring that out; I need to name these files better

Ettin posted:

It is a little late for me to add new characters to the final expansion but what if... what if I just... :thunk:
:cloudnine:

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

are there any threads where people are talking about sorcery:contested realm?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Random question: what's the most unusual adventure structure that's ever come up at your table? (I say "Come up" because it may not have been preplanned but been the result of improvisation)

Pathfinder APs do really make explore -> fight -> information on next location -> repeat a bit repetitive.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
My Monster of the Week crew had to smoke weed with Bigfoot to enter the dream realm to fix some poo poo going down, beforehand I had them write their characters' greatest fear down on a piece of paper and drew them out at random, winging little scenarios where they had to go up against everything from a nurse made of needles to a giant foot to being basic in a Starbucks, it was fun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

My Monster of the Week crew had to smoke weed with Bigfoot to enter the dream realm to fix some poo poo going down, beforehand I had them write their characters' greatest fear down on a piece of paper and drew them out at random, winging little scenarios where they had to go up against everything from a nurse made of needles to a giant foot to being basic in a Starbucks, it was fun.
Did Bigfoot provide the good good?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Yeah, in the first session of the adventure, the local bikers found Bigfoot's crop of dreamweed and sold it around town, leading the nightmares of various people to come to life and cause a ruckus. Trying to figure out what was going on, the players (one of whom was playing as actual Bigfoot hunter Ron Morehead) tracked down the source, leading them to Bigfoot.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

Random question: what's the most unusual adventure structure that's ever come up at your table? (I say "Come up" because it may not have been preplanned but been the result of improvisation)

So the PCs run a bookshop, except it’s not really a bookshop, it’s a couple of shelves that they kept when they sold the bookshop to the Theosophists. No need for exploration when all the fun problems walk in the front door. Also they still live above the shop, so there’s no hiding from problems.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nessus posted:

Did Bigfoot provide the good good?

Sas-kush.

The Honey Island Dank Monster.

A-bong-inable Snowman

Skunk(weed)ape.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

hyphz posted:

Don’t know if it counts, but I had a player who kept using the same L5R character in multiple games set at different times in different places; the pieces didn’t quite fit together by the end, but it was that era of L5R where a bunch of history was lost/rewritten so it worked anyway. :shrug:

Same player / different game also wanted to start a campaign before I was 100% ready, so the first session I had him co-GM and introduce the other characters - incoming emerald magistrates (fantasy FBI) - to “his” city (former local magistrate, promoted to emerald at the same time)

Just let them all RP and dangle plot hooks while I finished up my notes and incorporated the new stuff, like one of the PCs falling in love at first sight with a geisha and another overdosing on opium

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

"What is your character's greatest fear?" is such a good GM prompt, I highly recommend it. I did that once in a wild west flavored 13th age campaign with some goons, it was a trans-dimentional circus of horrors (inspired by this song and also Dr. Screweyes' Circus from We're Back: A Dinosaur Story.)

The dwarf cleric saw his father who he has attacked and left (possibly for dead) because he wanted him to do something awful and fought some dwarves.

Ol Jackenjill the Orc gunslinger saw a human persona of his weapons who was disapointed him him, and his weapons stopped working as he fought some wild animals.

Cornertooth the Goblin necromancer sees some bounty hunters they met before who say he;s not important and ignore him. They turn in to a swarm of bees and then a white dragon enters, and Cornertooth is alone, but as his friends think of him they join the battle.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Mike Shea from Sly Flourish has released a bunch of his Lazy GM's advice into Creative Commons and stuck it in a webpage anyone can access for free. Some of the advice is targeted specifically to 5e D&D, but most of it is useful for any high adventure character-driven RPG:

https://slyflourish.com/lazy_gm_resource_document.html

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

whydirt posted:

Mike Shea from Sly Flourish has released a bunch of his Lazy GM's advice into Creative Commons and stuck it in a webpage anyone can access for free. Some of the advice is targeted specifically to 5e D&D, but most of it is useful for any high adventure character-driven RPG:

https://slyflourish.com/lazy_gm_resource_document.html

Looks cool!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Every time someone brings up playing a white wolf system with me I express my sincere inability to take vampires or werewolfs as anything but comedy objects and maybe I am not right for the game because I don't want to poo poo on their world and the reply is always something along the lines of "actually someone not taking the world serious is a core p art of the system why this class here is actually perfect for that, as well as this one, and also this one and this one . . ." the games never happen but I hope someday one actually does.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rick posted:

Every time someone brings up playing a white wolf system with me I express my sincere inability to take vampires or werewolfs as anything but comedy objects and maybe I am not right for the game because I don't want to poo poo on their world and the reply is always something along the lines of "actually someone not taking the world serious is a core p art of the system why this class here is actually perfect for that, as well as this one, and also this one and this one . . ." the games never happen but I hope someday one actually does.

You might not hate Katanas & Trenchcoats.

Maybe also Dudes of Legend.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Rick posted:

People are very reluctant to do things that might exclude you and playing the comedy WW options probably aren't going to suddenly make the game good with somebody who isn't into the world conceits.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've only played in Demon: The Descent so far and I really like the game. The whole conceit for it just works and it's not really all that goofy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Demon: the Descent isn't White Wolf. :v:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well, there you go then :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Megazver posted:

You might not hate Katanas & Trenchcoats.

Maybe also Dudes of Legend.

The first one is cool, you are right. I would have to wait for the System Mastery review on the second (I thought they did one but I can’t find it).

Panzeh posted:

People are very reluctant to do things that might exclude you and playing the comedy WW options probably aren't going to suddenly make the game good with somebody who isn't into the world conceits.

I think you are right although I would give it a sincere chance. I once got as far as a session 0 where I made a skeptic who was to avoid a series of final destinations before becoming a ghost of some sort over the course of the game.

Rick fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 2, 2023

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Rick posted:

The first one is cool, you are right. I would have to wait for the System Mastery review on the second (I thought they did one but I can’t find it).

Heck we haven't even heard of it. I'll put it on the list though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A discussion elsewhere about the differences between Lancer and Icon had me thinking

I love how Blades in the Dark figured out you could make a progress meter by drawing a pizza and adding consequences and that was basically Prometheus and fire for tabletop roleplaying games

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Blades, Apocalypse World, and Gumshoe turned on like 50 lightbulbs in my GM brain. I’ve always been more of a narrative player/GM; reading something that codified how to think about that helped me really refine my style. Now it’s clocks, fronts, and failing forward in whatever I run.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Do you guys think someone like this could be considered the fantasy equivalent of a "Good Ol' Boy"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

trapstar posted:

Do you guys think someone like this could be considered the fantasy equivalent of a "Good Ol' Boy"?

Yes he’d probably care a lot about traditions and say that things were good when orcs weren’t living in his hamlet.