Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah im sure it will go to game pass down the line too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's gonna be Bloodborne Remake, 3 parts, story heavy, first release in Q1 2025

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
now is the time for Sony to buy Electronic Arts and make Apex 2 Madden FIFA NFL Need4Speed ps-exclusives

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Xaris posted:

that said i support sony doing it because in the rare event that Bloodborne 2 or Bloodborne 4k 140fps happens, that means I can pickup a base model PS5 for super cheap off SA-Mart or something as every goon always rushes out to upgrade to the latest $999.99 pro models ASAP

Good point, actually

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

come on man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ea and ubisoft should merge and make Massassins Effecreed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We're way overdue for the next generation of the greatest gaming console ever made tho, I still think we're years out from the Switch Pro. People need to stop buying them I guess, but it's so perfect!!!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

We're way overdue for the next generation of the greatest gaming console ever made tho, I still think we're years out from the Switch Pro. People need to stop buying them I guess, but it's so perfect!!!

just put a Nintendo sticker on a steam deck

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the switch pro is gonna just be a switch but with a cute piplup on the back where you can't even see him while you play and it costs 450

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Good point, actually
yea that's legit what I did for the PS4. i had no real interest in a PS4 at all outside of Bloodborne+GOW+HZD but didn't want to drop $400 on a console for 3 games, so i just waited until the PS4 Pro came out and then picked up like a $100 PS4 off sa-mart because every single goon was trying to dump their current model pennies to buy the pro. I imagine same tactic will work for the PS5

except who knows if sony will even make a Bloodborne for it.... so lol. like the only ps5 games i'm even mildly interested is Ragnarok, Ghost of Tushima, and maybe Demon Souls -- but not that interested in so i've been waiting for a PC-port instead.

i'm also sour because everyone was hyping up Returnal as the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I bought it when it came out on PC and i was kinda dissapointed in it and woulda waited for a sale or pirated copy instead. not nearly as good as console goons hyped it up to be

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the point of a ps5 is the Dualsense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

switch pro when, gimme dat dlss 'ninty

but lol i dont even own a ps5, didn't it just come out?? seems weird to launch a PRO 8K~~ so soon

also like.... they need to make games first... right?

The PS5 came out two years ago

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

just put a Nintendo sticker on a steam deck

I honestly liked it a lot when I got to hold one but ultimately it's just too drat big for how I game on the go. They should really make like a Deck Slim or whatever if they're not just totally winging the lifecycle plans for it. If any game is too hard to get working on it, just leave it for the community to work on instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VinesauceClips/status/1681769313978417152?t=ODxgTLXiMzOFPd2uXZ0T_Q&s=19

Well, THAT just happened!

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Epic High Five posted:

also its turn based

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The PS5 came out two years ago

So the hardware its based on is two years old? Sounds like my daddy's console

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

do they seriously hire the exact same voice actress for all games with whedon trash dialogue??

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

8k would basically require that you sit pretty close to a big TV. I've gotten into the habit of playing games on my TV while laying in bed, and when sitting further away like that (which is probably a more normal distance to watch TV from) it's very difficult to tell the difference between 1440p and 4k at that distance. It's still noticable, but very subtle (whereas it's actually pretty significant at a distance of just ~5-6 feet).

you can tell a difference with rendering resolutions but i am pretty sure that actual 4k monitors/tv are useless a lot of the time. you need to be right up against a massive screen for it to actually matter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Big Bad Idiot posted:

in the new nintendo game there is a monster variant which has down syndrome and that is what the game credits for its 'r-word' strength

turn on your switch

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

That's too many pixels, 1080p is more than good enough, this is sinful decadence

can't tell if sarcastic, but this, unironically. i feel 4k was a decade too early

my bony fealty posted:

Displays have become huge and cheap and high-res much faster compared to the hardware to actually use them, ahoutout to everyone with a 4k-capable monitor who runs 1080p

*waves*

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

heard the ps5 pro leaks say the system will supposedly target 8k

am i the only one that thinks 8k is insane given how we haven't even really utilized 4k very much?

lol 8k yeah right

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Like, Red Dead Redemption 2 looks pretty nice at 4k but I don't know if it's something I'd pay a premium for

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ViXious66/status/1682100043887812611?t=NsXYCK7SmRDRuAG67kGFgw&s=19

https://twitter.com/AlexLaw15204664/status/1681478216471437312?t=vcsAmlwziPVaOKpVlRPxZw&s=19

Lol did they really do this, what for

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

they did it to personally spite the people who cant wait a whole extra 2 seconds

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

pikmin 4 kicks rear end

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

Chinese indie games have been coming out swinging in the big league despite having no previous gaming industrial base to start with

- Dyson Sphere Program: the best industry sim/factorio game of all time.
- Ender Lillies: great metroidvania
- My Time at Portia: great 3d stardew valley
- My Time at Sandrock: even better version of Portia that's shaping up to out compete even Stardew king itself.
- Gunfire Reborn: best co-op roguelite FPS shoot em up game. even great solo. best in it's class IMO
- Bright Memory: pretty fun shooter god-of-war-y type game
- Astra Libra: ask smarxist
- Eastern Exorcist: fun 2d side-scroller adventure-action game
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator
- Eastward: really cute SNES-esque adventure game

decent polygon article on rise of chinese game developers: https://www.polygon.com/22893265/china-aaa-indie-video-games-genshin-impact-dyson-sphere-program

I like that you left Amazing Cultivation Simulator unexplained

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Augus posted:

pikmin 4 kicks rear end

Unsurprising you like the bigoted game

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i know i'm close to finishing dive dave but the story missions loving suck and i just want to optimize my service staff and tycoon branches across the pacific rim

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

you can tell a difference with rendering resolutions but i am pretty sure that actual 4k monitors/tv are useless a lot of the time. you need to be right up against a massive screen for it to actually matter

Also the rendering power needed for even 4k is absolutely absurd. Like the jump from 1080 to 1440p on most displays is about a 20~ PPI jump; from 1440p to 4k is 2.5x that, usually somewhere about 50-60 PPI increase. You can see most current graphics cards trying to find ways to cheat because the costs of rendering that natively are still outside of what's feasible, so you've got poo poo like DLSS or FSR, which are upscaling and using AI ML to gussy it up, and DLSS3 which is just using AI to make new frames so their number can be bigger (this works very poorly)

Chard posted:

i know i'm close to finishing dive dave but the story missions loving suck and i just want to optimize my service staff and tycoon branches across the pacific rim

once you get your staff up to about level 12-13 the cost per training skyrockets

12-13 7943
13-14 11395
14-15 16348
15-16 23452
16-17 33644
17-18 48264
18-19 69239
19-20 99328

This was halved from the beta lmao

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Jul 22, 2023

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Also the rendering power needed for even 4k is absolutely absurd. Like the jump from 1080 to 1440p on most displays is about a 20~ PPI jump; from 1440p to 4k is 2.5x that, usually somewhere about 50-60 PPI increase. You can see most current graphics cards trying to find ways to cheat because the costs of rendering that natively are still outside of what's feasible, so you've got poo poo like DLSS or FSR, which are upscaling and using AI ML to gussy it up, and DLSS3 which is just using AI to make new frames so their number can be bigger (this works very poorly)

once you get your staff up to about level 12-13 the cost per training skyrockets

12-13 7943
13-14 11395
14-15 16348
15-16 23452
16-17 33644
17-18 48264
18-19 69239
19-20 99328

This was halved from the beta lmao

oh im aware of the costs, i just love making money

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nvidia was marketing the 3090 as an 8k gaming card and that's already more powerful than what this PS5 Pro is going to be

It's just blowing smoke

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I like that you left Amazing Cultivation Simulator unexplained

it's obvious it's just a vanilla farming game like stardew

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Real hurthling! posted:

the switch pro is gonna just be a switch but with a cute piplup on the back where you can't even see him while you play and it costs 450

I'd pay $500 for a Mimikyu version

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
japan's broadcasting industry is pushing 8k.

get an 8k screen and make all the pixels black except one, make it white (maximum MTF) and walk forward until you can spot the white pixel. it will be when you are very very close to the screen for a typically screen size.

almost no image asks you to resolve white on black in fine detail, except text. so unless its for reading text very very close to the screen (or a very large screen that takes up a lot, realistically the entirety, of your field of view) it is useless.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stealthbird97/39784353882/

u can download this 1080p image of white and black alternating pixels, which is maximum MTF, and display it on your display and see how far away you have to be to see a grid instead of an even grey. that's the distance you can resolve 1080p. Half that distance and that's 4k. half again is 8k.

for my 15" laptop monitor my eyes can see 1080p at about 8 inches? pretty close. 2 inches is 8k lol

edit: SA scales it and you get moire so you gotta download the png and somehow view it pixel for pixel I leave it as an exercise for the reader how to do that. also mac laptop screens do some funky scaling thing

Big Bad Idiot has issued a correction as of 08:48 on Jul 22, 2023

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

look you can say all the reasons 8k doesnt matter but i bought this video card for a fuckin whole rear end 1000bux so im gonna do 8k

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
dlss ftw noobs

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xaris posted:

Chinese indie games have been coming out swinging in the big league despite having no previous gaming industrial base to start with

- Dyson Sphere Program: the best industry sim/factorio game of all time.
- Ender Lillies: great metroidvania
- My Time at Portia: great 3d stardew valley
- My Time at Sandrock: even better version of Portia that's shaping up to out compete even Stardew king itself.
- Gunfire Reborn: best co-op roguelite FPS shoot em up game. even great solo. best in it's class IMO
- Bright Memory: pretty fun shooter god-of-war-y type game
- Astra Libra: ask smarxist
- Eastern Exorcist: fun 2d side-scroller adventure-action game
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator
- Eastward: really cute SNES-esque adventure game

decent polygon article on rise of chinese game developers: https://www.polygon.com/22893265/china-aaa-indie-video-games-genshin-impact-dyson-sphere-program

Eastward is the only game out of those that kinda looks like my jam. Think I tried My time at portia at some point but wasn't exactly blown away, Sandrock doesn't look like it'd do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/zuby_tech/status/1682660832340058112?s=61&t=x6odiQARbmEslAPOGjCMew

You there, boy! Fetch me the tallest console with the widest controller