Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I certainly hope so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Making movies with alive actors is for hack directors with no vision, who are to scared to play god with the forces of nature.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Weekend at the Box Office With Bernie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Weekend at the Box Office With Bernie

"wait wait you want us to DEEPFAKE a dead actor?!"

"no"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Chairman Capone posted:

After we got a dog, my fiancee finally made me watch Marley and Me. I knew the dog died at the end, but for some reason I thought that the dog drowned, so every time there was some lighthearted scene of them in a pool or on the beach I thought it was some Chekhov's water scenario and got tense. Needless to say I was a bit off on that, haha.

That being said, for an unabashed romcom heart-tugger, it wasn't bad. Way better than A Dog's Purpose.

You might have mentally crossed wires with that backstage footage of a dog actor being near drowned IRL during the filming of A Dog's Purpose.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Way better than A Dog's Purpose.
A Dog's Purpose is a weird movie as a dog owner because you know that its shite but it still floors you anyway. I had lots of moments of going "this is such a poorly made melodrama but why can't I stop crying".

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That was a strange wave in the culture looking back on it, we got three "A Dog's _____" movies in the span of like a year and a half and then we never heard from them again.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And yet no one brave enough to make "A Dogs Dick"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A Dog's rear end for true Idiocracy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

That was a strange wave in the culture looking back on it, we got three "A Dog's _____" movies in the span of like a year and a half and then we never heard from them again.

It's like when you get two volcano movies the same year, or movies where a guy has to murder a whole building, or a Michael Bay movie and a Roland Emmerich movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorGuru/status/1681576515362861059?s=20

A24 greenlighted

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That’s good!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Come And See posted:

You might have mentally crossed wires with that backstage footage of a dog actor being near drowned IRL during the filming of A Dog's Purpose.

Haha I had completely forgotten about that, but I’m sure this was the reason!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s okay. I get Lilo & Stitch confused with Milo & Otis all the time.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

That's because they all go to the same cocaine parties where ideas, among other things, are thrown at various walls. The next day they wake up and groggily think they have had a fantastic idea for a movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A Talking Dog’s Purpose?!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chairman Capone posted:

A Talking Dog’s Purpose?!

A Drowning Dog's Purpose.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A24 talking dog movie

but it only knows Latin

it struggles to be understood

fully SAG compliant

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alan Smithee posted:

A24 talking dog movie

but it only knows Latin

fully SAG compliant

Pope Dog

Pope Dog's Exorcism

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
there's no rule that says the pope's talking dog's purpose can't be to play basketball

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Pope Dog

Pope Dog's Exorcism

Eh too genre friendly

Schwarzwald posted:

there's no rule that says the pope's talking dog's purpose can't be to play basketball

Same

Maybe make him lose the big game.

We can do it for under 10

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

A24 talking dog movie

but it only knows Latin

fully SAG compliant

Dog of War

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

It's like when you get two volcano movies the same year, or movies where a guy has to murder a whole building, or a Michael Bay movie and a Roland Emmerich movie.

From what I understand, the first two were two different production companies who got ahold of the rights to different titles in the same book series, and then the third was a sequel to the first. But they were all very successful and weren't yet experiencing diminishing returns, so I'm not sure why Hollywood quit on them as quickly as they arrived. I don't know, just a small weird thing.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The nineties were full of those. Volcano and Dante’s Peak, Antz and a Bug’s Life, Armageddon and Deep Impact, etc. poo poo, there were competing movies about Steve loving Prefontaine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The nineties were full of those. Volcano and Dante’s Peak, Antz and a Bug’s Life, Armageddon and Deep Impact, etc. poo poo, there were competing movies about Steve loving Prefontaine.
Mission to Mars and Red Planet were another duo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Outbreak was almost in one of these, because there was also a film being developed based on The Hot Zone, focusing on the discovery of an ebola-adjacent virus in a primate lab in Virginia- that one never got made but the original story was pretty big.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Dune part 2 going in some unexpected directions, but I'm here for it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barbie brought in $70 million on Friday which is the best single box office day of the year. The next highest was Across the Spider-Verse with $52 million. That's way more than I would have guessed.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

A24 talking dog movie

but it only knows Latin

fully SAG compliant
In Nomine Rex

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Barbie is also driving idiots crazy and all their whining makes it sound good

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Barbie is also driving idiots crazy and all their whining makes it sound good

Moviebob moment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are though. They are definitely overhyping it with their nonsense yelling about woke poo poo lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They’ll have to explain why it was in fact not woke once number go up

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

Four actually!

A dog's way home
A dog's purpose
A dog's journey
A dog's courage

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

They’ll have to explain why it was in fact not woke once number go up

Dastardly SJWs buying up all the tickets! It's a psyop!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

"If Barbie was a tradwife who killed a school shooter with her legally obtained hand gun, the box office would be triple!" -- Blurn Dryvagine

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CelticPredator posted:

They are though. They are definitely overhyping it with their nonsense yelling about woke poo poo lol

They're really bad at making movies sound bad, "anti-man" and "full of rage against men" just make it sound cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Caedes posted:

Four actually!

A dog's way home
A dog's purpose
A dog's journey
A dog's courage

Not only did I not know there was a fourth one, whatever that means, but I didn't even realize they made a series.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m halfway convinced all the right wing “outrage” over Barbie is astroturfing by the studio simply bribing them to hype it as some grand political manifesto instead of the soulless corporate glop of “Lego Movie: Pink Edition” it so obviously is. Because I’m only seeing it from hoity toity YouTube ecelebs. Compare to the organic free range bigotry of say.. the black The Little Mermaid where you saw the hoi poloi of vileness on image boards and forums coming out of the woodwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The Colonel selling “I hate Barbie” merch outside the sound of freedom get out the box office church a thon