Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Question: what sort of lawyer would I look for, to set up a trust for a family member who is in the middle of the (long and stupid) Disability appeal process? Also hoping to get State specific legal advice on how I can help her out without it counting as income, and possibly counting her as a dependent. I'd only do that if it didn't screw her (I am not worried about my taxes). Is this a 'family law' thing, or should I look for a disability law one?
:words:
Backstory - sister broke her neck in late 2020, and had not worked since March due to covid, and the restaurant industry.
I want to make sure if she does get money (she's my beneficiary) it won't screw up her case, but also she's terrible with money, so longer term, it could be helpful. She has some mental health issues, and when stressed, just refuses to think about/address bills. I have no kids and a partner that makes 2x what I do, so trying to estate plan with her in mind. Also thinking about buying a house and renting it to her if/when the stupid disability process concludes. We have been told 9-15 months more for the admin judge review - got her a lawyer already for that process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Any estate planning firm that also lists among its practice areas Medicaid planning, special needs trusts, guardianship, ABLE accounts, or elder law

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SlapActionJackson posted:

This is a given. The more interesting question is which other states C, D, E ... AW, AX can you also never step foot in because LE there will extradite you to B?

The general extradition principle requires dual criminality, meaning the act has to be criminal in both countries, to trigger extradition treaties.

By analogy, it would be all the states of C, D, E ... AW, AX that criminalize the act that is also criminal in State B and that you are worried about.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is a hypothetical. I am not a doctor, not qualified to prescribe, not planning to mail abortion pills or anything else illegal in the receiving state.
Washington Post story on abortion shield laws

So is this all a brand new legal issue that has to be figured out in the courts, or has it been addressed before? If I, Jane Q. Activist, mail something Federally legal and legal in my state, state A, to State B, where it is not legal, are there precedents on whether State B gets to prosecute me? Or on whether State A gets to refuse extradition?

I don't think it's federally legal to mail abortifacients interstate under the Comstock Act, it's just not enforced. There's cases going through right now about that.

ulmont posted:

The general extradition principle requires dual criminality, meaning the act has to be criminal in both countries, to trigger extradition treaties.

By analogy, it would be all the states of C, D, E ... AW, AX that criminalize the act that is also criminal in State B and that you are worried about.

I wrote a short thing in D&D about how extradition between states work. As far as I know it was accurate then and still is (but keep in mind I don't have a lot of experience with it from interning and I also don't take the bar until Tuesday, so maybe I shouldn't be so confident).

"Does extradition between states require double-criminality? I feel that's pretty standard in international extradition agreements, but I have no idea how it applies to state-level crimes between different states."

ETA: original context was about prosecuting a woman who leaves the state to get an abortion

Technically no, but generally yes. The state requesting rendition has to inform the receiving state of the charges and provide documentation that's a legit rendition request (usually in the form of an arrest warrant) and the person being rendered needs to be a fugitive. While the fugitive doesn't have a right to hearing, I don't know of any states that don't have a hearing on it and governors will deny the rendition request if they feel it's necessary. They can do it on Constitutional grounds-- assuming the paperwork's in order, there would be a couple of different things here, but the key ones would be the need to be a fugitive from the first state and there needs to be a substantive criminal charge. If you weren't in state A when the crime was committed, you're not a fugitive for that purpose. I'm not sure how this would interact with a law that says it's illegal to leave the state to get an abortion, would the crime be committed while you're still in the first state or does not happen until you cross over into the next state.

Governors also can and do deny rendition on equitable grounds as well, particularly for due process violations. In the past it was things like illness of the fugitive, that the fugitive has been rehabilitated, justice wouldn't be served by rendering them, etc. During the hearing, the fugitive can also point out defenses they would use in the upcoming criminal case and governors can and do deny on the merits of the case. Finally, governors can deny without giving a reason. Hopefully governors in pro-choice states would deny rendition requests for abortion "crimes" from regressive states as a matter of course. When it's denied under equitable grounds, states rarely protest unless they think the governor's reasoning is inadequate, but even they can't really do anything about it.

The requesting state might as the feds for help under the Fugitive Felon Act; the state would just need probable cause that the fugitive committed the crime in question and then fled the state to avoid prosecution. That particular act has a list of crimes that it can be used for and abortion isn't on it. Murder is, so a state might argue if they define abortion as murder that it should kick in, but the crimes have always been construed extremely narrowly and the feds have been super reluctant to go after people for committing a state crime only (though this might change in the next Trump admin).

Dopilsya fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 21, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If a company had an employee sign a PiP with a stated length of one calendar year and then fired them 3 weeks later during downsizing is that technically a breech of contract in any meaningful sense? Obviously they're not going to be legally required to rehire him but could it be leveraged into more severance? I'm actually interested in how the whole implied signature on the company's part when signing these works.

edit: He hasn't signed the separation agreement yet

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 22, 2023

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I don't think a PIP is a contract, just an internal plan to outline how they need to improve.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
DMCA anti-circumvention:

A few months ago, the Dolphin Emulator (a Nintendo GameCube/Wii emulator for PC) project announced Dolphin was coming to Steam, but then walked that back after Valve reached out to Nintendo to determine if they were OK with this, and Nintendo responded with concern that Dolphin violates the DMCA's anti-circumvention clause. The crux of the issue is that the Dolphin emulator includes the well-known Wii common key required to decrypt the contents of a Wii game disc, a prerequisite to playing a Wii game with the emulator.

Yesterday the Dolphin project responded to the claims and concern and while they will no longer pursue listing the emulator on Steam (not that Valve would allow it without cooperation from Nintendo) they defended their position that Dolphin does not violate the DMCA anti-circumvention provision as the primary purpose of the emulation is not to circumvent copy protection, but rather to provide interoperability with Wii software. Mind you, this isn't actually being litigated at this point, but it strikes me that Dolphin's position is something of a bold claim as past litigation has not been favorable with regard to anti-circumvention defenses at least as applied to DVD encryption.

So, my question, is there any DMCA-related case that actually might support Dolphin's position? This seems untested at best.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Muir posted:

I don't think a PIP is a contract, just an internal plan to outline how they need to improve.

That's what I figured but I promised I'd ask some random people on the internet.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
FL question for you lovely nerds. I'm going to be out of state for about a month and was planning on having a friend on mine stay at my place and keep it up wile I'm gone. Possible problem is that I have guns and he's a felon. I've been looking up this stuff and can't come to a conclusion so here we go. If I take the keys to my safe will this be an issue? If I thought the guy was gonna saw it open when I'm gone and kill people/sell them I wouldn't even bother, but my thought's don't mean poo poo.

He can't have them in his care, but if he can't access them either is that 'care'? Should I just try to find less felonious friends or hope someone doesn't break into my place?

I'm thinking it's a bad idea, but I literally have no one else in the state who will take them for me.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'm thinking it's a bad idea, but I literally have no one else in the state who will take them for me.
No idea on the legal parts, but do gun stores or shooting ranges offer this kind of service in your area? Like "we'll store your guns for $x/month". I know this is a thing some places at least.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dopilsya posted:

I don't think it's federally legal to mail abortifacients interstate under the Comstock Act, it's just not enforced. There's cases going through right now about that.

Ohhhh. God, I hate this timeline.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Trapick posted:

No idea on the legal parts, but do gun stores or shooting ranges offer this kind of service in your area? Like "we'll store your guns for $x/month". I know this is a thing some places at least.

I never thought to see, thanks.for the tip.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

sleepy.eyes posted:

FL question for you lovely nerds. I'm going to be out of state for about a month and was planning on having a friend on mine stay at my place and keep it up wile I'm gone. Possible problem is that I have guns and he's a felon. I've been looking up this stuff and can't come to a conclusion so here we go. If I take the keys to my safe will this be an issue? If I thought the guy was gonna saw it open when I'm gone and kill people/sell them I wouldn't even bother, but my thought's don't mean poo poo.

He can't have them in his care, but if he can't access them either is that 'care'? Should I just try to find less felonious friends or hope someone doesn't break into my place?

Whether it’s legal or not, and even if you trust him implicitly, imagine cops get called for some reason or another and they show up and there’s a gun safe. And Officer McChuckelfuck thinks it’s illegal for him to be staying there with the gun safe. Your frown’s life could be really hosed up by the time it gets sorted out.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe just have someone check in on your place from time to time rather than stay there continuously?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
as your lawyer I legally advise you to have a different friend, who is not a felon, watch your house instead

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Uugh, I hate this. I'll figure something out, thanks for helping me decide not to.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Javid posted:

as your lawyer I legally advise you to have a different friend, who is not a felon, watch your house instead

You seem to greatly overestimate then number of people who will willing interact with me.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

sleepy.eyes posted:

You seem to greatly overestimate then number of people who will willing interact with me.

Well you are from Florida.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

BigHead posted:

Well you are from Florida.

Fair enough.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

As *a* lawyer, I'd advise you to just do it, we got law school debts to pay. But yeah, don't actually try to loophole this one.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I am absolutely not trying to loophole this, just want to make sure I don't gently caress over my buddy or myself through ignorance.

Unfortunately it seems like I just have to hope for the best.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

sleepy.eyes posted:

I am absolutely not trying to loophole this, just want to make sure I don't gently caress over my buddy or myself through ignorance.

Unfortunately it seems like I just have to hope for the best.

The chances of it being a problem are slim. But if it becomes an issue, he's going to end up back in prison. Is it worth that?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I will have to check FL caselaw when I get to a proper computer, but just having a gun in the house can be a problem even if it is in a safe. My recommendation is to see if you can store the weapons elsewhere while you’re out of town. Probably better that way anyways because you’re secured from them being stolen during a break in as well. Check with your local gun range/club and see if they have storage options.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

Not a lawyer. Iirc for NFA items (suppressors and machine guns) a big chunk of being legal is not allowing people not on the tax stamp have unsupervised access to those items. Locked in a safe that only the person on the tax stamp can access covers this.

I'd ask in TFR.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sleepy.eyes posted:

If you really have no other option you could explain this situation to a pawn shop and probably strike a deal where you pawn them now and buy them back when you get back. You’ll take a loss.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Even ignoring your friend’s future, say the cops show up for whatever and find the guns: cool, cops take ‘em as evidence or just call it a civil forfeiture and now your guns are gone forever.

I dunno, maybe that doesn’t apply to guns. Let us know if you find out!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've done a little followup research, and, yes, in Florida, someone can be charged for guns in a safe in a house they're staying in. I strongly recommend you have your weapons stored elsewhere while your friend is watching your home.

The cases I've found generally involve someone finding a gun safe during an administrative search and then police seeking a warrant to search the safe after and the homes were the felon's residence. There is definitely an argument to dismiss the charges that he could not have actual possession because of lack of access to the safe, but these are all arguments made after arrest and charges are brought. I'll not that I have not done exhaustive research to find a completely matching fact pattern, but I have found enough to say that guns locked in a gun safe can and are still used to charge felons with unlawful possession.

Now, the likelihood of the police being in your home, seeing the gun safe, and then charging your friend may be low, it is not zero. Please store your weapons elsewhere for both yours and their piece of mind.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just melt the guns down, OP. You’ll be doing society a favor and won’t have to worry about your friend. Win-win.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I assume Florida is not one of these states, but in some states you can temporarily voluntarily surrender firearms to law enforcement for safekeeping, and they’ll give them back later. The statutes governing these are designed to reduce the risk of suicide for at-risk persons by giving them a place to take firearms if they anticipate a high-risk period of time. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of them actually being used, but if Florida has such a regime (which I doubt) you could try that?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Bury the guns where no police will ever find them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Like in a school?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
With the beans.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Bad Munki posted:

Like in a school?

Cops are regularly at schools to clean up once the shooters are done with out of guild cop-work.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hire a lawyer and then give him the guns for safekeeping.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ll buy your guns.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way in small claims or anywhere else to be able to stipulate to a large online retailer, "give the refund like you promised multiple times in writing, and no retaliatory/adverse actions or flags on the account because of this incident, since it was your fuckup"?

From googling around, there's a lot of instances where the prevailing customer gets algorithmically banned after they win. Some of these companies are so omnipresent that getting banned is seriously life-disrupting.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Feature, not a bug. No constitutional right to Amazon Prime

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a way in small claims or anywhere else to be able to stipulate to a large online retailer, "give the refund like you promised multiple times in writing, and no retaliatory/adverse actions or flags on the account because of this incident, since it was your fuckup"?

From googling around, there's a lot of instances where the prevailing customer gets algorithmically banned after they win. Some of these companies are so omnipresent that getting banned is seriously life-disrupting.

There's probably somebody better informed than me, but...

I don't know how likely you'd be to get it, but I also don't see why you couldn't shoot your shot. You'd be suing for an injunction and for those the general rule is you have to prove irreparable harm and that money damages isn't good enough, then the court does a balancing test. My understanding is courts aren't too thrilled with it and my gut feeling is making it part of a settlement offer is the better way to go.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The scientology compound with Shelley Miscavige, who is definitely alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Any advice for getting through a deposition, other than answer questions exactly as they are asked? I'm a witness, not a party to this lawsuit.