Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Best Friends posted:

beau Biden canonized to liberal sainthood while having never done a good thing in his miserable life

he did one good thing, developed a cancerous brain tumor that killed a horrible person. doesn't balance out the whole "letting off a billionaire heir of the du pont family for sexually assaulting a toddler because they made political donations", but it is nice to know that he suffered before he died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Orange Devil posted:

I don't want nice politicians anymore. I want vicious, ruthless assholes who are in my corner.

Forever laughing at everyone who thinks trump is stupid when he's the only person who seems to understand this sentiment

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Just like Corbyn.

I don't want nice politicians anymore. I want vicious, ruthless assholes who are in my corner.

i think we've hit a problem with human nature where the fighters tend to also have huge egos and a more rightwing outlook in life

i mean this isn't always true, i don't think anyone denies the Bolsheviks had what it took but uh, it's a lost art

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Javid posted:

Forever laughing at everyone who thinks trump is stupid when he's the only person who seems to understand this sentiment

Trump is stupid. He's intellectually incurious and probably poorly informed about most academic concepts. He does however understand people and unlike liberals, he actually believes things and is willing to make decisions entirely on vibes, spite, and intuition which is why he's popular but let's not conflate intellectual capability with being personable.

It's easy to be decisive when the only criteria that ever goes into your decision making is "Do I like this?" and I think if we look back at what little success the left has had historically, it's all come from the same autocratic font. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing necessarily--I personally have no trouble being led by a Fidel Castro relying his own judgment. For some strange reason, though, those strong, charismatic leaders on the left seem to live tragically short lives...

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trump is not book smart. And he's not street smart. But he's emotionally intelligent. And profoundly funny.

Content: The moral panic American libs had when Italy elected its most fascistic leader since Mussolini lasting only one news cycle after it became clear she'd be subservient to US geopolitical interests and strategy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

yeah that felt like a missed opportunity. just hammer the point home, don't let him wriggle out of it. Obamacare was an albatross already and ol' Bern-dog really missed the chance to slap him with it

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that he wanted to win

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think we've hit a problem with human nature where the fighters tend to also have huge egos and a more rightwing outlook in life

i mean this isn't always true, i don't think anyone denies the Bolsheviks had what it took but uh, it's a lost art

Human nature arguments in politics are dumb as hell 100% of the time in my experience.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Human nature arguments in politics are dumb as hell 100% of the time in my experience.

Did I say something wrong? Oops, I didn't know I couldn't speak my mind

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Trump is stupid. He's intellectually incurious and probably poorly informed about most academic concepts. He does however understand people and unlike liberals, he actually believes things and is willing to make decisions entirely on vibes, spite, and intuition which is why he's popular but let's not conflate intellectual capability with being personable.

The phrase I like is "low animal cunning"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
trump bucks

vs

means tested

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the brother of the US-puppet South Vietnamese dictator Diem became a schismatic tradcath lunatic who believed the mainstream Catholic Church was becoming too leftist, and ended up getting excommunicated and basically becoming an antipope. He was a major influence on the modern tradcath movement and there’s a bunch of Catholic splinter groups that trace their apostolic succession through him to this day

He supposedly reconciled with the Church on his deathbed, but there is a persistent conspiracy theory that he was kidnapped by Vatican agents and forced to acknowledge the authority of the Pope under duress

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mister Bates posted:

the brother of the US-puppet South Vietnamese dictator Diem became a schismatic tradcath lunatic who believed the mainstream Catholic Church was becoming too leftist, and ended up getting excommunicated and basically becoming an antipope. He was a major influence on the modern tradcath movement and there’s a bunch of Catholic splinter groups that trace their apostolic succession through him to this day

He supposedly reconciled with the Church on his deathbed, but there is a persistent conspiracy theory that he was kidnapped by Vatican agents and forced to acknowledge the authority of the Pope under duress

lmao thanks for informing me of this

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cs 1.3 came out September 12, 2001

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

cs 1.3 came out September 12, 2001

'Terrorists win'

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

95% of cs players changing their names to “osama bin laden” on 9/12/2001

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

95% of cs players changing their names to “osama bin laden” on 9/12/2001

gamers used to stay winning

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
There's an old internet yarn - it mighta been from SA, who knows - about a dude who logged into counterstrike, saw that everyone on team T had changed their name to bin laden and kept talking about destroying the WTC, so he started doing the same thing, and didn't turn on the TV or talk to anyone or find out about 9/11 until like the evening

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
George Santos and Matt Gaetz are still sitting senators while under investigation for committing material crimes and Al Franken straight up resigned over a photo of him being a creep.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
wasn't the photo like. if taken the worst possible way, still less creepy than stories trump has proudly told about himself into microphones?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Javid posted:

wasn't the photo like. if taken the worst possible way, still less creepy than stories trump has proudly told about himself into microphones?

Well he wasn't grabbing anyone by the pussy if that's what you're asking

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the dem fanclub getting increasingly caremad because their guys should also be allowed to do a little sexual harassment

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad Franken resigned and I hope he never comes back and fucks off forever.

Unlike Franken, Santos is funny.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm glad Franken resigned and I hope he never comes back and fucks off forever.

Unlike Franken, Santos is funny.

his Bannon adjacent aide vish burra is kinda funny too. the time he wore a bright purple suit and walked between Santos and the media people asking him questions while also making faces at them was great

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeipFdLiTro

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

2018 OZY Fest, where the succdems literally manifested Hippos "better things aren't possible" tweet

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

2018 OZY Fest, where the succdems literally manifested Hippos "better things aren't possible" tweet

Friendly reminder that the co-founders of Ozy Media were recently indicted for wire fraud, etc.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

quote:

When questioned on economic inequality and the gig economy, the panelists rushed both to naturalize the shift toward neoliberalism and demonize those who would oppose it. “The biggest causes of inequality,” said Pinker, perhaps worried the guillotine would soon come for him, “are revolutions, wars and plagues.”

this mf has never read walter scheidel

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

vyelkin posted:

this mf has never read walter scheidel

Pinker went to Little St. James on multiple occasions.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

“There are some tech experts in Silicon Valley whom I have met who say that maybe what they will do this time is really disrupt the actual election,” she continued.

omg lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Horseshoe theory posted:

Pinker went to Little St. James on multiple occasions.

he is a piece of poo poo but i still find it sadly funny when a historian publishes a book that very comprehensively disproves some myth and then *~public intellectuals~* like steven loving pinker get to just go on stage at centrist-con 2018 and say things we know to be untrue and people just lap it up

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the worst demons of our nature

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shrecknet posted:

quote:

It is with eye-popping irony that OZY Media cites the Percy Bysshe Shelley poem "Ozymandias" as the inspiration for its confusing name. "[Y]up, most folks read that poem as a caution against big egos and the impermanence of power," the website's "about" page explains with a complete lack of self-awareness. "We read it differently. To us, the poem says think big, but be humble, lest you end up 'two vast and trunkless legs … in the desert.'"

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Homie what set you from

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Pokemon go to the polls

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Donald "Ducks" His Taxes

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
a couple from also-rans from the 2020 democratic primaries. this dude whose name i forget going to the iowa state fair and having fun before the 2020 democratic primaries

a democrat representative from ohio, tim ryan, also went to the iowa state fair to try to float running for the democratic primaries and drank like 10 busch lights

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Iowa pork chop looks like a piece of poo poo for it being The Thing for Hopefuls to Eat

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
that's what makes it good though, force those fuckers to suffer a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

moist turtleneck posted:

The Iowa pork chop looks like a piece of poo poo for it being The Thing for Hopefuls to Eat

Cerebral Bore posted:

that's what makes it good though, force those fuckers to suffer a little