Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

she finally said something that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

A Bad King posted:

No smoobles no please this is a terrible joke

smoobled again

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ls1Ou24sLk

it’s not as :black101: as I hoped

mags
May 30, 2008

Koirhor posted:

she finally said something that makes sense

saying the loud part loud

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/nickmmark/status/1682424128840806400?s=46&t=J1lVrKOqDLGRcF29dzsWPA

https://twitter.com/graham_caswell/status/1682053796719915010?s=46&t=J1lVrKOqDLGRcF29dzsWPA

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
someone close to me asked me how i'm not in the corner chewing my fingernails to the bone over climate change and i gave them an overview of radical acceptance

i should do a write up of my personal beliefs on all this b/c it's come up a few times now

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol. lmao.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Halifax got owned yesterday, 210 mm of rain in a day when the average is 90 mm for the entire month of July.

Got cellphone alerts warning of a dam being breached and to evacuate areas.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Fried Watermelon posted:

Halifax got owned yesterday, 210 mm of rain in a day when the average is 90 mm for the entire month of July.

Got cellphone alerts warning of a dam being breached and to evacuate areas.

ok so here's what's loving me up about this year - we're not even hearing about half of these events now. it's not like cbc isn't talking about climate change regularly but they're just coming fast and frequent so smaller events like this don't rate

e: reading up on it now and yeah, holy poo poo

stay safe east coast goons

Cold on a Cob has issued a correction as of 14:59 on Jul 22, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what do people mean by the term "cybernetic capitalism?" i have a vague idea, but would like some clarity

mags
May 30, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what do people mean by the term "cybernetic capitalism?" i have a vague idea, but would like some clarity

robots you pay to gently caress

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I think it was coined by mark fisher. WRONG, it may be Timothy Erik Ström. basically capitalism is extracting value from the land and labor. cybernetic capitalism is extracting value from the commodified properties of the individual body. everything from fitness tracking to advertise running shoes to cars that track your driving to help insurance companies reduce their exposure to risk to monitoring your attention to your computer while you’re at work.

there are many genres in this category. immunocapitalism, gender capitalism, so on. they’re just frameworks for trying to explain new behaviours of everyone’s favourite system of distribution by deed rather than need!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

ok so here's what's loving me up about this year - we're not even hearing about half of these events now. it's not like cbc isn't talking about climate change regularly but they're just coming fast and frequent so smaller events like this don't rate

Humans are good at normalcy bias.

I like the idea that it stems from an evolutionary concept of animals becoming paralyzed and unable to process when stressed by danger. This made predators less likely to see and eat them. So millions of years later we are a society of fainting goats falling over and going "NUH UH" when disaster strikes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mags posted:

robots you pay to gently caress

No, cybernetic capitalism is when the robots gently caress you. But you still have to pay

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

tuyop posted:

I think it was coined by mark fisher. WRONG, it may be Timothy Erik Ström. basically capitalism is extracting value from the land and labor. cybernetic capitalism is extracting value from the commodified properties of the individual body. everything from fitness tracking to advertise running shoes to cars that track your driving to help insurance companies reduce their exposure to risk to monitoring your attention to your computer while you’re at work.

there are many genres in this category. immunocapitalism, gender capitalism, so on. they’re just frameworks for trying to explain new behaviours of everyone’s favourite system of distribution by deed rather than need!
this is helpful, thank you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

No, cybernetic capitalism is when the robots gently caress you. But you still have to pay

yeah capitalism is you get hosed until you rent everything and own nothing

cybernetic capitalism is when this concept extends to the functions of your body and mind through technology.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's when the pale bald dudes in suits show up from the future and build massive carbon emitter machines across the globe and most people are still like, "Eh, these egg sticks are alright."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Cold on a Cob posted:

one the biggest issues, i think, is that most people do not want to hear about it. even people who generally consider themselves as "believing in science" or whatever will fumble through a conversation about climate collapse and sometimes just straight up check out. i know i've brought up this example but i was talking about it with my boss (i work in a bar, so the delineation between staff and management is mostly a formality) and my boss was saying his "retirement plan in five years" (he is 32) is to take heroin. i said i was going to go via death by cop, and he said that sounded too complicated. no, i don't know his username.

anyway, someone else came up and asked what we were talking about, and he explained, and she said, "but that's a problem for our grandchildren, right?" and he laughed, and she walked away. when she came back later she said, "yeah, i believe in that stuff, i just don't want to hear about it." either people don't think it will affect them personally, or they think that it's a problem for when they are very old and basically dead anyway, and that it won't be bad enough still for them to have to change anything.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

tuyop posted:

cybernetic capitalism is when this concept extends to the functions of your body and mind through technology.

this will be fun to think about all day

cash crab posted:

one the biggest issues, i think, is that most people do not want to hear about it. even people who generally consider themselves as "believing in science" or whatever will fumble through a conversation about climate collapse and sometimes just straight up check out. i know i've brought up this example but i was talking about it with my boss (i work in a bar, so the delineation between staff and management is mostly a formality) and my boss was saying his "retirement plan in five years" (he is 32) is to take heroin. i said i was going to go via death by cop, and he said that sounded too complicated. no, i don't know his username.

anyway, someone else came up and asked what we were talking about, and he explained, and she said, "but that's a problem for our grandchildren, right?" and he laughed, and she walked away. when she came back later she said, "yeah, i believe in that stuff, i just don't want to hear about it." either people don't think it will affect them personally, or they think that it's a problem for when they are very old and basically dead anyway, and that it won't be bad enough still for them to have to change anything.
covid really has been a little demonstrator of how we respond to climate change

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

cash crab posted:

I kinda get the avoidance though. There’s a parallel to radical acceptance in the perspective of not sweating it if it’s out of our control anyway. If someone acknowledges the problem but feels that for the sake of their own happiness they might as well live their life happily while they can, then who am I to judge them for that? Even if that includes avoiding the topic. Who cares if they are misjudging the amount of time we have?

Of course I totally get the disdain for the culturally embedded behaviors that got us here in the first place.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Cold on a Cob posted:

someone close to me asked me how i'm not in the corner chewing my fingernails to the bone over climate change and i gave them an overview of radical acceptance

i should do a write up of my personal beliefs on all this b/c it's come up a few times now

Something similar happened with me.
My answer is what the gently caress can I do about it. Just live life and lol and lmao until I'm dead and then I don't have to worry about things anymore because I'll be dead

mags
May 30, 2008

i was told I would get to gently caress a robot if I got my bits replaced with enhanced cyber bits but at a huge markup requiring a 20 year term predatory adjustable rate loan exempted from any debt relief via congressional action influenced by Big Robot lobbying

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I told my boss to stop asking me what I want all the time and then told their boss that they both needed to butt out and let me work because I'm already reality-poisoned and I could tell they're both optimists and I didn't want to gently caress them up.

Got something like inquisitiveness followed by hard lockup - "You can't know that/as long as there are smart people someone will figure something out"

I lol'd

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I feel like I'm in a stage of radical acceptance mostly. Every now and then I get super down about it all but mostly I'm just trying to make the most of what we still have while we still have it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I'm the wojak bellcurve meme and am back where I basically was in the early 2000s, except am now enlightened with more lols and lmaos

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

RC Cola posted:

My answer is what the gently caress can I do about it. Just live life and lol and lmao until I'm dead and then I don't have to worry about things anymore because I'll be dead

yeah basically the question boiled down to "how are you not a nihilist?" and it's like... i still love life and i still love a lot of humanity, even if we're irredeemable fuckups that dug ourselves into the mother of all progress traps. i can still live in accordance with my values as best i can. i think how i will act in the face of annihilation matters a lot.

it isn't lost on me that people have asked me a similar question when my atheism comes up (though this one is more from assholes online, not irl) - "if you don't fear god why do you live a moral life?" like wtf?!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

"yeah, i believe in that stuff, i just don't want to hear about it."

There were "No Politics" emails sent around at work after a climate change discussion that I wasn't even involved in. The tepid New York Times level of concern for the climate between a few liberal democrats was so damaging there were multiple complaints and demands the subject be removed from existence so these people no longer have to experience it.

This is why people keep trying to drive these threads off of the forums. I think we have some time though since the person coming here to drop unprompted anime villain monologues was just permabanned for an anime villain monologue in a different thread so they can't blame us for that anymore.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Jul 22, 2023

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's been used in a variety of ways by people, but insofar as it's used on c-spam, it refers to a toy theory i developed for my own understanding a couple of years ago to explain the system behavior of capitalism in the post-ww2 era, especially its response to covid, in terms of a cybernetic integration between ecological psychology and marxist theory. it does not have anything to do with robots or computers as such. i think the first big post i did on it is still pretty instructive for the theory as a whole:

Zodium posted:

to give the briefest possible shape and history of cybernetic capitalism, it's a physical machine made of the material social relations which comprise capital given technological-biological form, using mass communications technology to physically connect humans under its control into a self-regulating complex behavioral system organized around profit. the construction process of the ideological control complex that would go on to link us all into a vast and immane ideology-generating machine began in the early 20th century with theories of advertising, propaganda and public relations, advancing by trial and error through a proto-scientific phase of gradual transition from a disciplinary society managed by biological men to one managed by a biological-mechanical complex. it culminated theoretically in the macy conferences on cybernetics through the late 1940s. the macy conferences, by incorporating electronics, afforded the development of new and more theories of systems control and stability, and marked the beginning of cybernetic capitalism proper. once again, the machine went through a period of trial and error expansion from the 1950s to the 1970s. new control structures grew throughout both business, sowing the seeds of the just-in-time global economy and global bourgeoisie trade networks, and through the military-industrial complex, gradually maturing into institutional forces like nato, the dollar hegemony, and the complex ecosystem of three-letter agencies that work tirelessly to maintain Capital's stability.

a major insight that supplemented the systems theoretic and cybernetic work from the macy conferences and its theoretical successors was james gibson's work on perception. i'll just repeat myself from earlier here as it pertains: people behave to maintain a stable perception, i.e., they act to minimize a threat. one way cybernetic capitalism integrates this into governance is by producing subjects with perceptions so intimately wired to Capital that systemic threats to their person are no longer coupled to behavior unless it also threatens system stability. if the economic system is stable, then they feel safe, and behave to maintain that. only threats to the system and, by extension, the ruling class, are still coupled to behavior. it is not a coincidence our society lost the ability to make decisions with foreseeable effects on the world sometime in the 1980s. the 1970s through the 1990s saw the gradual growth of this system of control into increasingly intimate spheres of individual life, a process that culminated in deleuze's characterization of our selves as "dividuals," beings who only have identity and meaning as participants in generalized market forces.

today, in the social media era, society is no longer managed by biologicals or even biological-electronic cybernetics at all; it is wholly second-order cybernetic, a wholly self-regulating system of market forces participated in by classes of deleuze's dividuals. it doesn't need human intervention, it just works, in the sense a paperclip maximizer works. it generates every possible viewpoint and lets generalized market forces go to town, and we each see what we need to see to maximize novel behaviors. omicron is mild. omicron is severe. it's uncertain, it's clear as day, it's endemic, we could still control it, it depends on every factor imaginable. it's a kind of rule of uncertainty. every variation, every permutation, everything is real and true, because what's really going on is the generation of novel behaviors, not truth discovery or saving lives or any human concepts like that. not at all.

it's an incredibly alien and inhuman machine working according to an alien and inhuman logic. cybernetic capitalism harnesses our opposition and resistance to learn how to produce better subjects and grow more complex and capable. it is ruthlessly efficient, and impossibly stable. i definitely don't think it's going to be brought down by covid, or any external event--in a spherical cow sense, it can by design keep grinding blood and bone to make itself smaller and more stable forever. and yet it's now breaking, or at least in some kind of serious deviation state it can't seem to get out of, and i think it's because there are no longer anyone who stand outside it. (and also china, probably.)

that's why it's not only failing to respond to covid, it's actively maladapting, because there is control in the system, but no longer control of the system. and there are no more possible transformations left. all adaptive behaviors to the threats faced by capital in the 21st century will compromise its stability, so it maladapts. end of the line. there's not going to be "technofeudalism" or any other new stable state of the economy, only accelerating crises for global capital, because it is now impossible for it to respond except by cannibalizing itself until it's forced to recede behind national boundaries. for now, because we're still perceptually coupled to cybernetic capital, we feel paralyzed. even here, we see the world through capital's eyes and speak to each other through capital's mouth. and we are alienated and scared that the system which produced us and our loved ones to reproduce itself, which shaped our perception and reason to serve its stability but which our survival depends on, is visibly spinning out of control.

tuyop posted:

if that were the case, cybernetic capitalism would just be capitalism. the cardinal trait of cybernetic capitalism is its replacement of direct ruling class control with self-organized systems of feedback loops of ecological variables which systematically constrain perception across classes to maximize its stability.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Car Hater posted:

Got something like inquisitiveness followed by hard lockup - "You can't know that/as long as there are smart people someone will figure something out"

my response to this is "there is also a super good chance there are all kinds of tipping points we haven't even thought of or our attempts to fix this will make things even worse, so i don't dwell on it"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Meet the latest way the superrich prove they're really, totally worried about the environment: $10 million electric superyachts

lol. lmao.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/MrMatthewTodd/status/1682540698568884224?s=20

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/there-no-doomsday-glacier-thwaites

checkmate, doomers

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Confusedslight posted:

I feel like I'm in a stage of radical acceptance mostly. Every now and then I get super down about it all but mostly I'm just trying to make the most of what we still have while we still have it.

I just try to live my life and be happy. What else is the point of everything?

nothing is promised to us, you could die or become disabled or lose everything you have on any day of the week due to a grab bag of random events

don’t sweat it, just be mindful of the good moments and appreciate the good things you do have now, whatever they are. nothing lasts forever, neither the good nor bad

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Just a Moron posted:

Either that or embrace sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, both are pretty valid.
Uphold Tony Thought

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

RC Cola posted:

I've lurked ITT for a while so I'm aware of how irrevocably hosed the planet is, but I never really understood acceptance until a few weeks back.

I live within cycling distance of the coast and in summer I like to head down for a chill day out. There's one section with a bunch of tidal rock pools that have always had crabs and other sea critters to take pictures of, but this time I could barely find anything living in them.

I've no idea why that one thing triggered it, but a sudden wave of calmness washed over me, along with a sense of deep sadness. I've been feeling better than I have in a long time and have started saving for a trip to Svalbard, because gently caress it might as well see some polar bears while they still exist.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

NARRATOR: He wasn't wrong

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Cold on a Cob posted:

my response to this is "there is also a super good chance there are all kinds of tipping points we haven't even thought of or our attempts to fix this will make things even worse, so i don't dwell on it"

Sure but like I said, I didn't want to gently caress them up, even though they were my bosses I care about them as people (because I'm a sap like that)

*shrugged*

moved on

only thing to do if you're not gonna wear the sandwich board and scream on the corner about the end is nigh

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

Uphold Tony Thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

I worry that folks confuse disempowerment and escapism with acceptance

there are gonna be all kinds of dynamics in play as this progresses

allowing the folks that, at best, ignored the problem, to maintain decision-making power and influence is gonna inevitably lead to hyper-Malthusian turbo-fascism