Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man, I wish a Western dev with a lot of resources would try something like amazing cultivation simulator. The sense of accomplishment you get when you finally can make the complex rules of the world for you was huge.

[E] I was expecting not buying Diablo 4 to pay off, but not this soon. Did they really nerf 70% of everything? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popy posted:

look you can say all the reasons 8k doesnt matter but i bought this video card for a fuckin whole rear end 1000bux so im gonna do 8k

Labor aristocracy

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

they just made a dual sense version of the wiiu pad

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Big Bad Idiot posted:

u can download this 1080p image of white and black alternating pixels, which is maximum MTF, and display it on your display and see how far away you have to be to see a grid instead of an even grey. that's the distance you can resolve 1080p. Half that distance and that's 4k. half again is 8k.

uhh, that's not how that works at all. it highly depends on the contrast. try doing a single white pixel on a black screen (highest contrast possible) and see how far you have to be to not see it

in the same vein, the higher the contrast your monitor can deliver, the easier it is to see individual pixels in your grey grid

the bottleneck with LCDs is the trash contrast so going to resolutions higher than 4-5k on a pc monitor is well into diminishing returns. white's kinda ok but black's a dark grey at best unless you get one of those $30k dual lcd layer screens

if we ever get good monitor tech without oled burnin but good contrast like that though, 8k is going to kick rear end

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Grapplejack posted:

I like that you left Amazing Cultivation Simulator unexplained

ACS is rimworld but sometimes your pawns dab.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I always wanted to see From do a decaying scifi world instead of a fantasy one.

Now I realise that they did that ages ago with armored core, it's bleak af and I love it.

Otoh I'm really having to psyche myself up to actually play 4A lol

E I do like the 3 separate types of boost though, you can go really goddamn fast. It reminds me of the mechs in the starship troopers book, iirc they were meant to just hop around super fast flinging bombs

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Now I realise that they did that ages ago with armored core, it's bleak af and I love it.

E I do like the 3 separate types of boost though, you can go really goddamn fast. It reminds me of the mechs in the starship troopers book, iirc they were meant to just hop around super fast flinging bombs

You could just wait a few weeks and get the new one though.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Tankbuster posted:

and god smites the furries

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

ACS is is rimworld, but 2 hours in you stop colony building and star putting all your resources into pumping out freaks so strong that God won't allow them to stay on earth.

The only problem is the game doesn't let you do enough cool poo poo with said freaks. The game needs something like a crusader king style overworld

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

also 7 seconds for the season mob mechanic to do its thing, I assume some suit forced them to add in extra time for some engagement metrics to show how long people are playing it all adds up

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

genericnick posted:

ac6 isn't really a decaying sci fi world afaik. a lot of the previous games had pretty bad circumstances that seem like they're what ultimately led to the hosed up state of the planet. like i think in most ac games it was nuclear war and in 4 there's some type of mega radiation caused by their power generators that's poisoning in the world so there's huge amounts of resource scarcity causing conflicts basically over survival. in 6 that planet is absolutely hosed and embroiled in an endless hell war with billions dead entirely because of space bp wanting to get cheaper space gas. they could just leave and nothing would happen and everyone would live happily ever after but it's ancap hell world

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Big Bad Idiot posted:

japan's broadcasting industry is pushing 8k.

seriously?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

https://twitter.com/zuby_tech/status/1682660832340058112?s=61&t=x6odiQARbmEslAPOGjCMew

You there, boy! Fetch me the tallest console with the widest controller

i'm way out of the loop so apologies, but is this project q thing supposed to be sony's new handheld?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Soon we shall cross the Rubicon.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Mr Interweb posted:

seriously?

i'm way out of the loop so apologies, but is this project q thing supposed to be sony's new handheld?

it's a controller-with-screen that exists solely to stream all the great games on your ps5 over your local wifi network!

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

the milk machine posted:

it's a controller-with-screen that exists solely to stream all the great games on your ps5 over your local wifi network!

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There's probably a nonzero number of basic individuals who would pay a cool grand so they can play CoD on the couch without preventing their spouse or SO from watching reality TV; none of them post here

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

There's probably a nonzero number of basic individuals who would pay a cool grand so they can play CoD on the couch without preventing their spouse or SO from watching reality TV; none of them post here

that thing costs a thousand dollars???

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

loquacius posted:

the guy with a bathroom steam deck posts here

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cuttlefush posted:

the guy with a bathroom steam deck posts here

I love that guy

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DrManiac posted:

Man, I wish a Western dev with a lot of resources would try something like amazing cultivation simulator. The sense of accomplishment you get when you finally can make the complex rules of the world for you was huge.

[E] I was expecting not buying Diablo 4 to pay off, but not this soon. Did they really nerf 70% of everything? Lol

you can just play rimworld lmao.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

the milk machine posted:

..seriously? and it costs a THOUSAND bux?? :lmao:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

..seriously? and it costs a THOUSAND bux?? :lmao:

nb: that was an off-the-cuff remark from me and I have no idea how much this will cost

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If its more like 300 or less I would probably get it

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

they’re gonna ruin remote play unless you have one of this stupid things

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

For Answer is insanely good.
The barren, sterile wastelands you jet across may have been to save on resources but they paint an amazingly bleak picture of the robot apocalypse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

What about Anthem

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I expressed this sentiment ITT earlier but a starship troopers game based on the books where it’s all about the tactical power armor and players hop around tribes style on gigantic maps cutting things up with laser fingers and throwing mini nukes everywhere could be super cool. it’s pretty interesting compared to later adaptations just specifically in terms of the doctrinal implications and discussions which would translate super well to an open map. the first chapter describes an attack on the infrastructure of the “skinnies”, a type of alien not otherwise elaborated on, and Heinlein’s ideas about the way a power suit would be much more interesting in a first person thing combining the Extermination game model with a souped up version of the power armor mechanics from fallout 4

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
lost a 25 relic world because i forgot how the second half of the rubricator questline worked

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

genericnick posted:

But I'm trying to play the old one!!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

croup coughfield posted:

lost a 25 relic world because i forgot how the second half of the rubricator questline worked

i dont know what this means but, condolences

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

decided to try Dave the Diver on the recommendations ITT. vibes are spectacular

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i put Dave the Diver on the same purchase plan that i put Dredge on, which is “wait one year so it has the post-launch bug fixes and content and maybe dlc”

looks fun but there seems to be a few reoccurring issues that can get ironed out from what ive seen ppl say

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!
in other news stalker anthology is fine. i havent had any game-breaking bugs but i was disappointed to discover that only call of pripyat is available of the original trilogy. still lots of modded quests tho, will be grazing for a bit

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Frog Act posted:

I expressed this sentiment ITT earlier but a starship troopers game based on the books where it’s all about the tactical power armor and players hop around tribes style on gigantic maps cutting things up with laser fingers and throwing mini nukes everywhere could be super cool. it’s pretty interesting compared to later adaptations just specifically in terms of the doctrinal implications and discussions which would translate super well to an open map. the first chapter describes an attack on the infrastructure of the “skinnies”, a type of alien not otherwise elaborated on, and Heinlein’s ideas about the way a power suit would be much more interesting in a first person thing combining the Extermination game model with a souped up version of the power armor mechanics from fallout 4

or someone could just rip the Tribes IP from that shithouse hi-rez and make a good game but lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i put Dave the Diver on the same purchase plan that i put Dredge on, which is “wait one year so it has the post-launch bug fixes and content and maybe dlc”

looks fun but there seems to be a few reoccurring issues that can get ironed out from what ive seen ppl say

Yeah dredge is in a similar boat (haha). Very good vibes, the sound design is excellent, but it's very light on content post island 2. It shares a similar pacing problem with Dave, where something to fill out the empty middle game would be a significant boost to how good the overall product is.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what’s the beef with Dave? feel like I saw some posts mentioned ballooning late game requirements and there are a handful of Steam reviews that say it was great in the beginning but the mid game isn’t developed enough

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

It's not lost just temporarily unusable

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 75 days!

sullat posted:

It's not lost just temporarily unusable

i thought shard exploded it? might get that ecumenopolis after all...

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You don't even necessarily lose the world, you can put completing the chain off until your fleet can kill the dragon thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

croup coughfield posted:

i thought shard exploded it? might get that ecumenopolis after all...

I don't think it blows up enough to destroy the world. If you already have a colony there it just blockades it until you kill it off.