Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Anybody know anything about analog computing in relation to sound? I recall there was a synth that used drone motors as oscillators, but that's more physical than analog IMO.

Mixers add signals. Attenuators divide. Inverter plus mixer allows subtraction. Gain is multiply. There’s also a part that does integration but I forgot what but it turns square waves into triangle waves.

Just get VCV Rack before you separate yourself from your cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Low-pass filters are integrators.

You can make some cool chaotic systems with a sample&hold feeding back on itself.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Chaotic evil: A saxophone is an oscillator

I am definitely getting a piezo mic, programming some god drat beginner sax music into Rene, and then will have spectraphon autotuning my renditions of Hot Cross Buns or w/e

(actually, despite not having played a sax in 25 years, I still seem to be well beyond hot cross buns territory at least, which is cool)

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
odin 2, which is free, has microtonal support and a vector synth. virtual microtonal tg33 here we go

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Laserjet 4P posted:

Mixers add signals. Attenuators divide. Inverter plus mixer allows subtraction. Gain is multiply. There’s also a part that does integration but I forgot what but it turns square waves into triangle waves.

Just get VCV Rack before you separate yourself from your cash.

I was just building off

B33rChiller posted:

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Stop all the modulating

and thinking about The Analog Thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVHf8Muz3Jg
I like math, but I am bad at music.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

B33rChiller posted:

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Stop all the modulating

Thread title pls

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mudskipp posted:

Thanks to whoever mentioned bespoke synth awhile back. It's massively unlocked the potential of this minilogue XD for me. You can set LFOs and stuff in the soft synth to control midi cc parameters and it's been really interesting adding small and large perturbations to secondary parameters to add some organic movement in the background.

It's pretty amazing how with relatively few moving parts you suddenly get really complex sounds!

It is a really cool tool. I use it to route a lot of midi too because the node interface just works well for that.

My main issue with it is there's no side chaining, is a huge omission that the author knows about but it sounds like it's gonna be hard to implement with how the code is set up.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
My Behringer Edge is arriving today and I'd like some advice on syncing tempo to my Roland S-1. The Roland S-1 has a sync out mini jack as well as midi out (mini jack). The edge has midi in (full size) as well as patch points for adv/clock, trigger, tempo and play/stop (mini jack).

It doesn't say in the S-1 manual what sort of signal comes out of the sync port and tbh I'm a newbie at all of this so any help would be appreciated.

Ideally I will use the S-1 to control the tempo of the Edge so I can switch to the Edge's internal clock temporarily for performance glitchiness and then go back to the sync. But I will settle with them just being in sync for now.

Also, I have some mono patch cables which is what is needed for the S-1 and Edge. Can I do any damage by experimenting patching the S-1 sync out into the Edge patch points??

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 21, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Mister Speaker posted:

Thread title pls

I second this emotion, it may finally be time for a new title, or *gasp* a new thread?!?!

OP hasn't posted in years, which is longer ago than the last time OP sent me some random piece of hardware they needed to get out of their closet (Xone 4d, in that case, which I turned into a Morphagene at Guitar Center after realizing HOLY poo poo XONE 4D BIG).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
change the title, keep the thread.

not every old thread needs to die, especially not resource ones like this- 725 is still a decent length

would be nice to update the OP tho

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I think a new thread would be nice, we can link to this one in the OP and threads dont really go to archives anymore anyway, if we’re talking a new title and op with a years absent goon having posted op I think it’s pretty clear. Also we live in a post moog world now

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

not every old thread needs to die, especially not resource ones like this- 725 is still a decent length

would be nice to update the OP tho

I agree but in this case updating the OP and keeping it updated would take mod action in every case :shrug:

If I ever have time to write a really good, comprehensive synth OP i will just do it, but, I'm not the best person for that. How does FM work again?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I agree but in this case updating the OP and keeping it updated would take mod action in every case :shrug:

If I ever have time to write a really good, comprehensive synth OP i will just do it, but, I'm not the best person for that. How does FM work again?

nobody wants to do it, just let the synththread run as-is

it ain't broke and not that many ppl post here all that frequently. A new thread runs the risk of dying on the vine

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

nobody wants to do it, just let the synththread run as-is

it ain't broke and not that many ppl post here all that frequently. A new thread runs the risk of dying on the vine

:hmmyes:

Once, I did an Epic Effort Post that was OP of the TCC benzo thread for a while. Boy was that a mistake.

I do not believe things in here would run as catastrophically amuck but I'd still rather it be someone else's problem.

The current benzo thread was made by Zeldadude who cribbed large parts of my OP, which is perfect IMO. Info is out there, I don't want or need credit for my bad ideas.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

my landlord hasn't started the work that was supposed to have been finished 10 months ago, so i still don't have the space for a hobby. i figured i would finally make a good-faith attempt to use the sp-404 mk2 as a standalone thing, though.

it's a very mixed bag! the unit itself plus a phone and set of headphones makes for a very small footprint, which is a plus. sampling opens a lot of creative pathways, but getting to where i want is a long process.

i initially made the mistake of setting some esoteric guidelines for finding materials to sample, and all it accomplished was wasting a lot of time. after quashing those rules, i had better success, but some things felt inherently difficult to do on a sampler.

writing a bass line with chromatically pitched notes was probably the most obnoxious one. a one-shot bass note either stretches time-wise with pitch or it sounds like rear end if you try to preserve the length of the sample. it would have been easier and faster to create a synth patch from scratch and sample myself playing the whole line. the same could probably be said of any lead melody.

the sequencer leaves a lot to be desired. it's functional, but less useful than the hardware sequencers i own. if this thing can receive velocity over midi, i think it will fit well into my full setup. the biggest benefit would be the ability to multi-track multiple patches on the same synth without dragging a laptop into the picture. until i can do that, though, it feels unnecessarily hard to make the variations needed to keep the music dynamic and interesting when moving between parts.

the thing can do a ton, but that means a lot of unintuitive sequences of button presses to navigate the interface. unfortunately this means a lot of mistaken inputs, which — since the machine is real-time saving — in turn translates me into having to undo things i messed up by turning a knob or hitting a button in the wrong order. it would be nice if the undo function worked outside of real-time pattern recording.

the effects section is cool. there are a bunch of things in there that you just aren't going to see outside of daw wizardry.

it's only been a week, so i think things will get easier, but my major takeaway so far is that this thing will be a better fit for me as a powerful tool within a larger setup than as a standalone workstation. but i'm trying to make it work in the interim.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
After an uneventful summer season I managed to get a few live gigs lined up for August and September so I’ve been developing the set and practicing.

So much fun!

The colorful box on the back is a DIY USB MIDI controller I recently built to get more hands on with the 1010 Bluebox mixer.

I also did the graphics and a trailer for one of the events I’m playing at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX4IuGf3CSA

All of this is a huge waste of money and time but that’s how this thread works. Hail Satan and so on. :homebrew:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

How does FM work again?

A single operator in FM is the equivalent to a single oscillator in subtractive, but it can only make a sine wave.
A pair of operators where A modulates B is equivalent to a single oscillator in subtractive, but it can make more complex waves and almost-squares/almost-saws.
A triplet of operators where A modulates B modulates C is equivalent to a single very complex oscillator. It’s difficult to predict the behavior when you go outside the integer ratios.
Feedback on an operator, when turned up, gives you the equivalent of noise in subtractive.

Four operators are two pairs of two operators. Effectively this is equivalent to a two oscillator subtractive synth. Six operators are three pairs of operators, effectively equivalent to a three oscillator subtractive synth. Alternatively, they can form a pair of triplets and give you some very complex waveforms.

Operators don’t have filters because the brightness of the sound is controlled by the modulation amount. Simple low ratios and low modulation amounts give you mostly predictable sounds.

When in doubt, start with two operators only, learn some useful ratios by heart, and only change the envelope of the modulating operator.

In subtractive synths all goes into the filter, in FM synths you should think in terms of layers - highs, mids, lows, or low mids, mid highs.

Branch algorithms are equivalent to having three pairs but with the same ratio for the modulating operators and perfectly in sync. So, A mod B, C, D with A at 1:8 lets you set three octaves - B at 1:1, C at 1:2 and D at 1:4. It’s kind of like a sub oscillator in subtractive.

Root algorithms are equivalent to using a more complex waveform than a sine as a modulation source. Tune roots in integer ratios respectively to each other, then try others, because the result for complex waveforms already gets unpredictable on a TX81Z.

This is the dao of FM.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Hello fellow synthesizer touchers, reposting this here as I believe some of you might be interested. For fans of heady synth tunes, boards of canada, aphex twin etc, christ. is reissuing Blue Shift Emissions for the first time since 2007. Second hand copies of the original pressing have been selling for around $100 on discogs so this is a good chance to get a fresh new copy cheap(er). Ships in november.

christ. was one of my original inspirations for spending way too much money on tons of gear.

https://ambidextrousrecords.bandcamp.com/album/blue-shift-emissions-remastered

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

flubber nuts posted:

Hello fellow synthesizer touchers, reposting this here as I believe some of you might be interested. For fans of heady synth tunes, boards of canada, aphex twin etc, christ. is reissuing Blue Shift Emissions for the first time since 2007. Second hand copies of the original pressing have been selling for around $100 on discogs so this is a good chance to get a fresh new copy cheap(er). Ships in november.

christ. was one of my original inspirations for spending way too much money on tons of gear.

https://ambidextrousrecords.bandcamp.com/album/blue-shift-emissions-remastered

hey thanks while I was looking at this I noticed there's a <PiG> album from 2022 not sold out on vinyl, so, in for both since I'm already paying UK shipping and it was substantially less than double the cost ($50ish each shipped vs $71 combined).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I bought the Moog Theremini. I do not know how to play any instrument. I do not know music theory. I am having fun making Star Trek noises, though. :)

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Not knowing how to play an instrument has never stopped me from playing an instrument.

I learned my lesson on ordering gear from Reverb. I saved a little money buying a used Mixup and turns out it didn't have a 10 to 16 ribbon after all. An order from Perfect Circuit went from $6 to $70 really quick, but I got a greyhound blank panel and patch cables so I feel like I stuck to the essentials.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Anybody know anything about analog computing in relation to sound? I recall there was a synth that used drone motors as oscillators, but that's more physical than analog IMO.

earliest proto-synths were this, basically. you can still see some traces in 70s Buchla - the signal processor w/ the equations comes to mind.

one way to think of this is that an analog oscillator generates a type of signal that a turing-type computer, sort of by definition, cannot - that is, a continuous, full-bandwidth (this is what disqualifies DAC/ADC - by definition they're band-limited cause thats how the Nyquist stuff works) non-linear signal. and yea LPFs (and sine shapers) perform integration, quadratures do trig, AM/FM are various linear equations just again w/ trig type operators, but on continuous (i.e. not discrete) signals.

you can debate all you want about whether or not that matters (this thread is proof) but there is literally information that is lost when you do this stuff digitally. granted its stuff people can't hear so I'm not really talking music at this point. hell even getting sound out depends on sub/ultrasonic speakers. idk. we're in the weeds.

but the modules in a CPU-setup (binary adder, buffer, etc) and a modular system aren't really that different from far away

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'll say that I find the information in the weeds fascinating, but I don't have any strong opinions about any of this stuff, apart from curiosity.

I appreciate the effort posting about nerdy stuff, thanks!

Animal-Mother posted:

I bought the Moog Theremini. I do not know how to play any instrument. I do not know music theory. I am having fun making Star Trek noises, though. :)
That's the spirit! :getin:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Felt like revisiting Vital tonight and came up with this anxiety-inducing motherfucker. Volume warning I guess.

https://voca.ro/1m9MGtGdmnHd

I have no idea how to use it. Part of the problem is that it commands an absolute shitload of attention and I can’t think of a single thing I can sneak in alongside it (aside from drums obv). Idk, maybe a vocal patch? Edit: actually, something shimmery and heavy on the highs might be a good fit.

I’ll make something with it eventuallyyyyyy.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 22, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Oh yea the bArp is super fun and I wish I'd gotten one 2 years ago. I got the blue meanie with the real reverb in it. Robot go beep.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Oh yea the bArp is super fun and I wish I'd gotten one 2 years ago. I got the blue meanie with the real reverb in it. Robot go beep.

I got a blue meanie a couple of months ago. Its a lot of fun and pairs nicely with the matriarch. Im using it to hold me off from starting my relationship ending modular room but its only a matter of time.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Pollyanna posted:

Felt like revisiting Vital tonight and came up with this anxiety-inducing motherfucker. Volume warning I guess.

I have no idea how to use it. Part of the problem is that it commands an absolute shitload of attention and I can’t think of a single thing I can sneak in alongside it (aside from drums obv). Idk, maybe a vocal patch? Edit: actually, something shimmery and heavy on the highs might be a good fit.

It sounds pretty cool. I can't sleep right now, so I just did this. Hopefully it gives you some ideas. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_...=social_sharing

edit: And then I realize that I forgot to change the patch on Bazille from the default....

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

flubber nuts posted:

I got a blue meanie a couple of months ago. Its a lot of fun and pairs nicely with the matriarch. Im using it to hold me off from starting my relationship ending modular room but its only a matter of time.

Even compared to my other semis (too many ugh, 0coast, mavis, mother32, taiga) -- bArp screams "VALUE". That clicked with me when I was "just" using it as a VCA and envelope follower for an electric guitar, which I was then patching out from there into other stuff. Usually I use QuadVCA as my entry point to my rack, so we're at 1/3 the cost of a bArp there. Add a 2HP ENVF or w/e and we're at half the cost of the entire bArp and still don't have power. The spring reverb does not sound bad, either.

Some day I'd like to mess with one of the (10x cost) Korg FS2600s, to see if my untrained ears can tell any difference; I don't find using Youtube videos for that very compelling. I bet there is a difference, it wouldn't surprise me if the Korg sounds nicer in places or even overall, but I am not and will never be a professional musician and Korg arp money buys a stack of eurorack modules, or a couple saxophones, etc.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Definitely make the Rez patch at least once if you have a 2600! https://youtu.be/0zHJXHkjBRU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

a loathsome bird posted:

Definitely make the Rez patch at least once if you have a 2600! https://youtu.be/0zHJXHkjBRU

On the list along with R2D2. I have done sone env-follow poo poo using a mic and a guitar a la Pete Townshed (just minus absolutely any of his guitar skill ofc).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a MIDI sequencer for a 6 year old? - I think kiddo is at a point with Blipblox where being able to program their own sequences into some external thing would be nice, but my (currently listed on SA mart!) Beatstep Pro does too much and is too arcane for her. Need something that doesn't require much reading / etc.

The Blipblox does take 2 midi channels if you want, one for the synth and channel 2 on the drums, so something that can sequence both easily is desireable. I think a non pro beatstep would do this and be somewhat less arcane but I'm wondering if there's something even easier to use. If not, a beatstep might be the thing; very little reading and few menus but I need to see what the workflow for recording 2 different tracks to different MIDI channels is, if that exists. BSP can obviously do that but recording, switching patterns, etc gets into some amount of menus and it also has like 19 controls she doesn't need.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Pollyanna posted:

How about a buzzy bass melody? That's what my brain expected to start when listening to your clip. Long sustained notes, maybe an octave drop near the beginning.

And then later you could slowly lpf the hell out of your first clip to transition it to something else, or slowly shift the waveform to something more sine or triangle ish so it softens.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

On the list along with R2D2. I have done sone env-follow poo poo using a mic and a guitar a la Pete Townshed (just minus absolutely any of his guitar skill ofc).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a MIDI sequencer for a 6 year old? - I think kiddo is at a point with Blipblox where being able to program their own sequences into some external thing would be nice, but my (currently listed on SA mart!) Beatstep Pro does too much and is too arcane for her. Need something that doesn't require much reading / etc.

The Blipblox does take 2 midi channels if you want, one for the synth and channel 2 on the drums, so something that can sequence both easily is desireable. I think a non pro beatstep would do this and be somewhat less arcane but I'm wondering if there's something even easier to use. If not, a beatstep might be the thing; very little reading and few menus but I need to see what the workflow for recording 2 different tracks to different MIDI channels is, if that exists. BSP can obviously do that but recording, switching patterns, etc gets into some amount of menus and it also has like 19 controls she doesn't need.

Skip the midi, and just get her a 0-ctrl and neutron

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Skip the midi, and just get her a 0-ctrl and neutron

:hmmyes: but I want to get her going playing her own notes on the blipblox since she's kinda sorta figured that out. If my BSP doesn't sell fast, we'll start there.

In other news, I Am Very Smart And Make Great Decisions

I've been eyeballing the diminishing supply on these until it's been down to just this one, and two other people on Discord have told me they also constantly cart it up and then think "DEAR GOD NO", so I let myself pull the trigger without listening to that part of my brain. I think my years of using deliberate self-delusion to facilitate my use of narcotics while also trying to give the appearance of being a normal person, created a network of neurons that have been dark for a long time but are slowly reactivating to feed my GAS.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
ain’t like there’s a meaty knurled flaring cock on there or anything
yet

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Startyde posted:

ain’t like there’s a meaty knurled flaring cock on there or anything
yet

I was momentarily concerned about my kids' impression, but, I've always taken this module more as a fart joke than a sex joke, and, developmentally, unicorn fart jokes are exactly where a six year old wants to, and IMO, should be in life, so I think it's fine, and I think she will enjoy pressing the button that makes the unicorn fart.

I am not going to go see if penis-shaped patch cables exist because I'd rather not have that mental image in my mind, more than I do from typing thos.

Now -- would I rack up an Error Instruments "Lolita's Dance"? No, and gently caress them for making that module, I'd like a $120 interesting tiny trigger generator but gently caress if I am supporting that with my money. Yea, I could blank the faceplate. Yea, I saw the marketing campaign that seemed heavily connected to asian fashion subcultures. I don't care, I think it's deliberately edgy in a way that sort of pisses me off.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 23, 2023

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Is the unicorn butthole an input or an output? Or both?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

pretty sure it's a CV input but I cannot actually find a pdf of the manual anywhere, birdkids went boom

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

thread title

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Hey kid I'm a unicorn butthole.
Stop all the modulating.