Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

two fish posted:

Do we know much about the training regimens of ancient organized militaries, like what you would have found in Rome? Were there exercises that they did daily, and did they have equivalents of things like firing practice?

We actually have a military manual describing all of this. It's from late antiquity, but you can likely project a lot of this back a few hundred years. The non-professional citizen military would've been different.

https://digitalattic.org/home/war/vegetius/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

two fish posted:

Do we know much about the training regimens of ancient organized militaries, like what you would have found in Rome? Were there exercises that they did daily, and did they have equivalents of things like firing practice?

Oh boy if I would be on my computer. Anyway:

Yes. Big yes.

De Re Militari was written by Vegetius. It details physical training, combat training, staff work, logistics, etc. And it is not at all the only book about it.

Tacitus and Livy both also wrote about certain training and doctrine aspects, but it wasn’t their forte. Polybius also. Problem is that lot of them just allude to a certain aspect or discuss topics assuming the reader knows the finer details. I believe Vegetius’ book is the only completely surviving military manual, but other authors refer to other books, and we have evidence and bits of many more. Vegetius’ book itself is a collection of information distilled from other sources according to his own words. He cites several authors.

In De Re Militari, Vegetius details Conditioning, Drilling and Mock Combats as the three primary training aspects in garrison.

Him, and Livy, and surely others, all also have clearly written about the physical standards which we know well.

20 Roman miles in 5 hours loaded with about 45 pounds of equipment was the initial enlistment condition to aspire for and to continue service. The veteran standard was to walk 24 Roman miles (~35 km) within 5 hours.

They also had a sort of a basic combat training where all this was done repeatedly on a tightening schedule.

In garrison, as a professional soldier, the leader of the tent group, Decanus, was responsible for leading the 8-10 person Contubernium in physical exercise every morning, before morning chores started. If a legionaire would not be in passing physical shape, they had a punishment fat camp where they did extra work and exercises during the day.

Edit: Vegetius also bitches and moans that recruits back in the day were stronger, taller, and had more discipline and that the current recruits suck and the officers are dumber lmao

Edit edit; he isn’t perfect, and some of the things he cites can be mis-cited from the original author, and sometimes he disagrees with them. It’s a great book, but it is best served by comparing the information in it with what Livy and Polybius write, and for example he goes a bit awry when compared with Sextus Frontinus’ work with regards to Army Engineering. And we should be far more inclined to trust Frontinus in the disagreements because Frontinus was a an Army Engineer Officer for all his military career, and a Civil Engineer by formal education, unlike Vegetius, who wrote about a broad collection of topics.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 16, 2023

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Oh boy if I would be on my computer. Anyway:

Yes. Big yes.

De Re Militari was written by Vegetius. It details physical training, combat training, staff work, logistics, etc. And it is not at all the only book about it.

Tacitus and Livy both also wrote about certain training and doctrine aspects, but it wasn’t their forte. Polybius also. Problem is that lot of them just allude to a certain aspect or discuss topics assuming the reader knows the finer details. I believe Vegetius’ book is the only completely surviving military manual, but other authors refer to other books, and we have evidence and bits of many more. Vegetius’ book itself is a collection of information distilled from other sources according to his own words. He cites several authors.

In De Re Militari, Vegetius details Conditioning, Drilling and Mock Combats as the three primary training aspects in garrison.

Him, and Livy, and surely others, all also have clearly written about the physical standards which we know well.

20 Roman miles in 5 hours loaded with about 45 pounds of equipment was the initial enlistment condition to aspire for and to continue service. The veteran standard was to walk 24 Roman miles (~35 km) within 5 hours.

They also had a sort of a basic combat training where all this was done repeatedly on a tightening schedule.

In garrison, as a professional soldier, the leader of the tent group, Decanus, was responsible for leading the 8-10 person Contubernium in physical exercise every morning, before morning chores started. If a legionaire would not be in passing physical shape, they had a punishment fat camp where they did extra work and exercises during the day.

Edit: Vegetius also bitches and moans that recruits back in the day were stronger, taller, and had more discipline and that the current recruits suck and the officers are dumber lmao

Edit edit; he isn’t perfect, and some of the things he cites can be mis-cited from the original author, and sometimes he disagrees with them. It’s a great book, but it is best served by comparing the information in it with what Livy and Polybius write, and for example he goes a bit awry when compared with Sextus Frontinus’ work with regards to Army Engineering. And we should be far more inclined to trust Frontinus in the disagreements because Frontinus was a an Army Engineer Officer for all his military career, and a Civil Engineer by formal education, unlike Vegetius, who wrote about a broad collection of topics.

Sextus Frontinus sounds like the kind of name you make up when you're planning on ditching your girlfriend in Judea or something.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sullat posted:

Sextus Frontinus sounds like the kind of name you make up when you're planning on ditching your girlfriend in Judea or something.
He was grammar school classmates with Naughtius Maximus and Silius Soddus.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

two fish posted:

On the topic of Egypt, did they have philosophers or other big thinkers similar to what you would have seen in Greece? Did any of their writings survive?

Here's an article called "The Radical Philosophy of Egypt: Forget God and Family, Write!"

quote:

New research indicates that Plato and Aristotle were right: Philosophy and the term “love of wisdom” hail from Egypt.

A remarkable example of classical Egyptian philosophy is found in a 3,200-year-old text named “The Immortality of Writers.” This skeptical, rationalistic, and revolutionary manuscript was discovered during excavations in the 1920s, in the ancient scribal village of Deir El-Medina, across the Nile from Luxor, some 400 miles up the river from Cairo. Fittingly, this intellectual village was originally known as Set Maat: “Place of Truth.”

quote:

When it comes to writing, the Egyptian texts are “often consciously intellectual, making abundant use of wordplay through homophones and homonyms, in which the Egyptian language is particularly rich,” as Wilkinson underscores. Metaphors, idioms, and epigrammatic utterances are some of the other literary techniques applied.

Hence, it should come as no surprise that not only the oldest but also some of the most original ancient philosophical texts in writing stem from Egypt. A similar point was also made by the foremost of the Greek philosophers: Isocrates (b. 436 BCE) states, in Busiris, that “all men agree the Egyptians are the healthiest and most long of life among men; and then for the soul they introduced philosophy’s training…”

Isocrates was 16 years Plato’s senior, a founder of the rhetoric school in Athens, and he declared that Greeks writers traveled to Egypt to seek knowledge. One of them was Pythagoras of Samos who “was first to bring to the Greeks all philosophy.”

These Greek descriptions of Egypt have often been disregarded in the past couple of hundred years. But the scholarship of the 21st century has opened up a new possibility: the founding Greek word philosophos, lover of wisdom, is itself a borrowing from and translation of the Egyptian concept mer-rekh (mr-rḫ) which literally means “lover of wisdom,” or knowledge.

As far as surviving texts, "Dispute between a man and his Ba" from the Middle Kingdom is mentioned in there; here's a transcription of that one, original language included.

Language and rhetoric as a whole were enormously important. Appropriate utilization of effective rhetoric was indeed an entire religious tenet, as Koramei pointed out last page: in the same way philosophy and language could express worldly truths they were seen to express mystic and cosmic truth as well and thereby guided an individual life. The greater a person's philosophical mastery, the greater their ability to understand and create action in accordance with ineffable truth, and the closer they were to the universal Divine.

Here's a whole paper on Egyptian rhetoric as a religious principle that might interest you, though not a public source: Edward Karshner's "Thought, Utterance, Power"

edit: that abstract leans heavily on the word "magic" but I promise the paper covers more than just that :lol:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 18, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sullat posted:

And then there's Vegetius.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Vegetius! What does the speculatorius say about his power level?

It's over I̅X̅!

What I̅X̅?!

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

two fish posted:

That's a fair point, I had intended what would be popularly called Ancient Egypt, but that itself is a very long timespan. I suppose the New Kingdom would be what I was thinking of.

Old Kingdom rather than New, but Imhotep is generally thought of as such, at least until Brendan Fraser killed him. I didn't focus on Ancient Egypt in undergrad so I could be wrong, but it seemed like most of the information we have on major discoveries/innovations of the time usually get described as "happened under Thutmose III" or whatever, rather than pointing to non-pharoahs who actually developed it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't help that Vegeta as a Roman soldier is weirdly fitting. He even works for an Emperor.

Dopilsya posted:

Old Kingdom rather than New, but Imhotep is generally thought of as such, at least until Brendan Fraser killed him. I didn't focus on Ancient Egypt in undergrad so I could be wrong, but it seemed like most of the information we have on major discoveries/innovations of the time usually get described as "happened under Thutmose III" or whatever, rather than pointing to non-pharoahs who actually developed it.

Doesn't help that it's probably hard to get information on specific people in ancient Egypt when you're lucky enough to be able to pinpoint just the general era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As the self proclaimed King of all Saiyans, Vegeta would be anathema to republican Rome.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Végéta always refers to himself as a prince

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

zoux posted:

As the self proclaimed King of all Saiyans, Vegeta would be anathema to republican Rome.

Actually, King Vegita is his father.
:goonsay:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
What? This is an outrage! This ancient history thread is filled with nerds!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Wait, are we talking about him, his son or the planet?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I believe Vegeta claimed "Prince," which was his by birth, but did not claim "King," no doubt because a. nobody could properly enthrone him, as the planet was blown up anyway, and b. he has his dignity and there are like four Saiyans

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He'll feel comfortable taking the crown once he finally defeats Kakarot

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

euphronius posted:

The library of Alexandria was probably one of the most important centers for big brains for hundreds of years

Judgy Fucker posted:

Well yeah, I inferred that poster was asking more about philosophers from the (more-) indigenous population and culture of Egypt.

I was thinking about the Library today, which while yes built during the Ptolemaic era probably had a decent portion of its 400,000 scrolls comprised of works by native Egyptian thinkers, and came across this Wikipedia tidbit I enjoyed

quote:

The first recorded head librarian was Zenodotus of Ephesus (lived c. 325–c. 270 BC). [...] Zenodotus is known to have written a glossary of rare and unusual words, which was organized in alphabetical order, making him the first person known to have employed alphabetical order as a method of organization.Since the collection at the Library of Alexandria seems to have been organized in alphabetical order by the first letter of the author's name from very early, Casson concludes that it is highly probable that Zenodotus was the one who organized it in this way.

World first alphabetizers! That's fun!

Though full disclosure I guess,

quote:

Zenodotus' system of alphabetization, however, only used the first letter of the word and it was not until the second century AD that anyone is known to have applied the same method of alphabetization to the remaining letters of the word.

Still. Nice.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

It seems obvious but then again, I have no idea when the "order" of alphabets was "decided".

I know that in biblical Hebrew they used letters as numbers in ascending alphabetical order. But Roman numerals were not in alphabetical order AFAIK.

According to Wikipedia, it was used much later in the Latin alphabet.

Wikipedia posted:

Alphabetical order as an aid to consultation started to enter the mainstream of Western European intellectual life in the second half of the 12th century, when alphabetical tools were developed to help preachers analyse biblical vocabulary

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 21, 2023

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding is that the idea that the alphabet has a natural order, as a pedagogical tool, goes back to the invention of the alphabet. Using that as a sorting method is a different question, of course

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I was thinking about the Library today, which while yes built during the Ptolemaic era probably had a decent portion of its 400,000 scrolls comprised of works by native Egyptian thinkers, and came across this Wikipedia tidbit I enjoyed

World first alphabetizers! That's fun!

Though full disclosure I guess,

Still. Nice.

Maybe Zenodotus alphabetized the collection because he was an insecure guy who wanted his own books to be found last

(Yes, I know zeta is pretty early in the Greek alphabet, so this joke only works if you mistakenly assume he did it in Latin)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Obviously it's A B and so on; if it was Delta Gamma Alpha Beta we'd call it the deltagam.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EricBauman posted:

Maybe Zenodotus alphabetized the collection because he was an insecure guy who wanted his own books to be found last

(Yes, I know zeta is pretty early in the Greek alphabet, so this joke only works if you mistakenly assume he did it in Latin)

:lmao: I had a similar thought, so your joke gets a pass from me.

Nessus posted:

Obviously it's A B and so on; if it was Delta Gamma Alpha Beta we'd call it the deltagam.

:hmmyes:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
My high school Greek teacher actually used to say that the alphabet was supposed to start with LMN and that's why there's things called elements.

I never knew what was a joke and what was truly archaic wisdom with that guy

Edit: turns out it's a dated theory that may not actually hold, but definitely a thing people used to think about the Latin alphabet:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/elementum#Latin

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 21, 2023

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

that Wiktionary page posted:

An alternative related idea is that elementum was borrowed into Latin from a Semitic term (probably via Egyptian) halaḥama

I Googled that last word and found something related:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/first-written-record-of-semitic-alphabet-from-15th-century-bce-found-in-egypt/amp/

First written record of Semitic alphabet, from 15th century BCE, found in Egypt posted:

On one side of the flake is Schneider’s recent discovery: the transliteration into cursive Egyptian writing of the sounds that signify the beginnings of today’s Hebrew alphabet (Aleph, Bet, Gimel). On the other, a contemporary, though now lesser-known letter order, called “Halaḥam,” which was deciphered in 2015, on the same limestone flake, by Leiden University’s Dr. Ben Haring.

quote:

According to Hebrew University’s head of Egyptology, Prof. Orly Goldwasser, the origins of the Semitic alphabet came from Canaanite quarry workers at the Serabit el-Khadim site, who, while experts in extracting the precious blue-green stone, were illiterate.

After enviously watching their Egyptian colleagues worshipfully engraving their devotion to their gods through beautiful hieroglyphs, around 1800 BCE these workers decided to adapt the 1,000-odd Egyptian characters into phonetic symbols and essentially invented our alphabet, says Goldwasser.

Thus, Aleph, today the first letter of the alphabet, was named after their primary god, Aluf (meaning bull in Canaanite), and symbolized by an ox head. For the sound “B,” they used a house or bayit, explains Goldwasser, in a video that accompanied an Israel Museum exhibit.

I thought this all very relevant/interesting and that you might find it interesting too, but was on the fence about posting it lest I inadvertently make myself some sort of ancient Egypt grammar facts gimmickposter in this thread. But then I got to this bit

quote:

What exactly is on the ostracon?

Aleph is for ‘elta (lizard), Bet is for bibiya (snail), and Gimel is for grr (pigeon), according to Schneider’s new decoding of a side of the limestone flake.

and now I am posting because I am pretty outraged we don't live in a modernity where the third letter of our alphabet is "pigeon". Instead we get what, "c"?

We were cheated.

Cheated.

Look at that. Ridiculous. Fully deserves third place in an alphabet.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2023

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I was thinking about the Library today, which while yes built during the Ptolemaic era probably had a decent portion of its 400,000 scrolls comprised of works by native Egyptian thinkers,

I wouldn’t necessarily guarantee this, although I’d also assume it’s likely. Alexandria was very firmly a Greek polis in Egypt, not an Egyptian city, and the Ptolemies operated with an ethnic hierarchy with Greeks on top.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh absolutely. But I was thinking about everything that was destroyed with the loss of that library and the Serapeum, and with the Ptolemies having spent centuries aggressively pursuing scrolls with which to fill them -- the older the better -- a significant portion of Egyptian philosophical work must have been lost. To tie back into two fish's original question the other day.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
I haven't read it yet, but there's a book that was published a few weeks by an Egyptologist about the subject of Philosophy in Ancient Egypt, focusing on an Old Kingdom text called The Teaching of Ptahhatp: https://www.thamesandhudsonusa.com/books/the-oldest-book-in-the-world-philosophy-in-the-age-of-the-pyramids-hardcover, which may be of interest to people interested in this subject.

From the publisher's blurb:

quote:

Noted author and Egyptologist Bill Manley renders into approachable modern English for the first time the oldest surviving statement of philosophy from the ancient world: the thirty-seven teachings and twelve conclusions of The Teaching of Ptahhatp, vizier, or chief minister, to the Old Kingdom pharaoh Izezi (2390-2350 BCE). Manley's expert commentary elucidates Ptahhatp's profound yet practical philosophy, which covers such topics as ambition, fame, confrontation, sex, and wisdom, and offers a unique window onto ancient Egyptian life and society.

The Teaching of Ptahhatp ought to begin the list of the world's classics of philosophy, yet it has been largely forgotten since its rediscovery in the nineteenth century. Manley's new translation corrects this oversight, making accessible for the first time the Old Kingdom vizier Ptahhatp's concise, helpful insights into the human condition.

New translations of two further texts—The Dialogue Between a Man and His Soul, in which a man asks himself, “What is the point of living?,” and Why Things Happen, the oldest surviving account of creation from anywhere in the world—demonstrate how Ptahhatp's philosophy was founded in ancient Egyptian beliefs about truth and reality. Manley introduces the vizier and the world within which he operated, as well as the significance of the “oldest book of the world,” preserved in a scroll now known as the Papyrus Prisse in the Bibliotheque Nationale de France. Together these works by Ptahhatp provide a new perspective on the Pyramid Age and overturn traditional stereotypes about the origins of Western philosophy.

That kind of "Teachings of X" (or "Instructions of X") text is also not unique, there are a bunch of them from various different periods of Egyptian history, usually focusing on how to live a good and moral life. Wikipedia has some good excerpts from a New Kingdom era text of this type, called the Instructions of Any: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_of_Any. For example, "Do not eat bread without giving some to those near you who do not have anything to eat, since the bread is eternal while man does not last," and "Everyone can master their own nature if the wisdom which he has been taught has made that nature stable," both come from the Instructions of Any. There are also a number of collections of proverbs from Ancient Egypt (some of which bear resemblance to those found in the Hebrew Bible's Book of Proverbs), which often have a moral character to them.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh hell yes. I love Teachings of Ptahhotep. Thank you!! :buddy:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you for the on topic response with citations !

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sorry. I usually lurk because I am phone posting and putting together quotes and citations can be a challenge :shobon: but this topic interests me.

A citation for my mention of the library Serapeum

quote:

The Serapeum of Alexandria in the Ptolemaic Kingdom was an ancient Greek temple built by Ptolemy III Euergetes (reigned 246–222 BC) and dedicated to Serapis, who was made the protector of Alexandria. There are also signs of Harpocrates. It has been referred to as the daughter of the Library of Alexandria. The site has been heavily plundered.

And Wikipedia quote on the Ptolemies' scroll hunting

quote:

The Ptolemaic rulers intended the Library to be a collection of all knowledge and they worked to expand the Library's collections through an aggressive and well-funded policy of book purchasing. They dispatched royal agents with large amounts of money and ordered them to purchase and collect as many texts as they possibly could, about any subject and by any author. Older copies of texts were favored over newer ones, since it was assumed that older copies had undergone less copying and that they were therefore more likely to more closely resemble what the original author had written.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

An old in our time https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00j0q53

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CrypticFox posted:

"Do not eat bread without giving some to those near you who do not have anything to eat, since the bread is eternal while man does not last,"

This goes so hard that I almost want a tattoo of it.

Honestly this is all incredibly interesting, thank you! I was mostly vaguely aware of this stuff, but my study of Egyptian history recently has focused largely on royal history with just some social and economic history, which AFAICT is the sort of "walk before you run" of studying ancient Egypt (i.e. primary sources are much thicker on royal lives, and that leads to secondaries being much more about that, so its considered pretty much 'the basics' to know at least like, who the kings are and what they did).

And I guess this gets to a historiographical thing that I think I said earlier but am very not confident about : do Egyptian primary sources place less import on the specific author of an idea? I had gotten the (very crude) understanding that many ideas and works got attributed to, well, not the original thinker. Which is hardly unusual1, but I'd gotten the vague impression that it was a bit more endemic in Egyptian thought and history, somewhat driven by a tendency to attribute everything good you did to your master (often the king, because so many of our surviving sources are either directly royal or 'people who were close to royals', just due to preservation). I could be extremely off base here, it could just be lazy 19th century colonial perverts followed by lazy 20th century people not wanting to learn foreign names.

1Ancient greek philosophy has False Xenophon (lmao at trying to use Xenophon to make your ideas seem better), nobody seems to get much credit for carvaka even though its a pretty cool school of thought, Chinese philosophy has several elements where people attribute their ideas to a more famous thinker (there's probably no way to tell what things were specific to Confucius and which were ideas his students came up with and then attributed to him; Zhuangzi has all the tell-tales of a compositional work; its entirely probable that there simply isn't a historical Laozi at all and he was kind of made up after the fact to bundle together a bunch of different ideas into a singular thought; and this proceeds into the present tense via Stigler's law and especially the Matthew effect.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I Googled that last word and found something related:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/first-written-record-of-semitic-alphabet-from-15th-century-bce-found-in-egypt/amp/

I thought this all very relevant/interesting and that you might find it interesting too, but was on the fence about posting it lest I inadvertently make myself some sort of ancient Egypt grammar facts gimmickposter in this thread.

Really cool that that weird thing my high school teacher told me in 1998 was actually more or less confirmed by a new translation in 2015!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Using letters as numbers doesn't seem too weird when you consider how many lists, phrases and ideas in English use the alphabet exactly like that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EricBauman posted:

Really cool that that weird thing my high school teacher told me in 1998 was actually more or less confirmed by a new translation in 2015!

:buddy::hf::buddy:

Tulip posted:

This goes so hard that I almost want a tattoo of it.

The thing about the Egyptian teachings translations is that they are translations, so it's kind of a grab bag of quality when you look up sources in that regard. That's part of why I didn't post sources and citations for the Maxims of Ptahhotep earlier -- I resonate strongly with a lot of the moral and ethical guidelines within, but my understanding of them is amalgamated from a lot of different translations I have encountered over years in order to try to grasp the essence of the teachings rather than idiosyncrasies of any one or two individual translations. It's a pretty long work put together from three or four Middle Kingdom papyri and, as I say, translated in ways that can vary pretty significantly in sections.

For example, here is a complete translation of the Maxims of Ptahhotep someone put together:
https://www.ganino.com/anteanus/the_maxims_of_ptahhotep

quote:

Beginning with a complaint about getting old, The Maxims of Ptahhotep flows seamlessly between rules about civil obedience and social structure to those regarding personal relationships and sex. Crediting his wisdom and inspiration to a god, Ptahhotep ends his writing discussing his long life (110 years), his pleasure in doing Maat (the ancient Egyptian code of righteousness) for the king, and his desire to see his son continue his legacy of good works.

One of the sections of which I am particularly fond, in this translation, is as follows:

quote:

Great is Ma'at, and its foundation is firmly established;
It has not been shaken since the time of Osiris,
And he who violates the laws must be punished.
In the eyes of the covetous man it goes unnoticed
That wealth can be lost through dishonesty,
And that wrongdoing does not result in success.
He says, I will procure (wealth) for myself.' He does not say, 'I will procure (wealth) through my diligence.'
But in the long run it is Ma'at which endures,
And an (honest) man may state: 'This is my ancestral property.'

Here is that same passage as rendered by Henri Frankfort and cited on the Wikipedia page for ma'at

quote:

Maat is good and its worth is lasting.
It has not been disturbed since the day of its creator,
whereas he who transgresses its ordinances is punished.
It lies as a path in front even of him who knows nothing.
Wrongdoing has never yet brought its venture to port.
It is true that evil may gain wealth but the strength of truth is that it lasts;
a man can say: "It was the property of my father."

But, translation caveats provided, in relation specifically to you liking the quote about it being a good thing to share bread with hungry people -- I like that one a lot too.

Carol Lipton's translation posted:

Be generous as long as you live
What leaves the storehouse does not return;
It is the food to be shared which is coveted,
One whose belly is empty is an accuser;
One deprived becomes an opponent,
Don't have him for a neighbor.
Kindness is a man's memorial
For the years after the function.

the page linked above posted:

Be generous as long as you live,
For what goes out from the storehouse does not go back in,
And men are eager for bread which is freely given.
He whose stomach is empty is an accuser,
And (such) an opponent becomes a bringer of woe;
Do not make of him a friend.
Compassion is a man's monument
Throughout the years which follow his tenure of office.

A lot of the Teachings are to do with proper socio-political conduct. I have personally taken many of them to heart over the years. All the following are from the source I linked above because :effort:

quote:

Great of heart are those whom God has established, But he who listens to his stomach is his own worst enemy.

State your business without concealing (anything), Proffer your opinion in the council of your lord. If he can speak fluently and easily, It will not be difficult for an agent to give his account, And no one will answer, 'What does he know of it?' Even an official whose property has fared poorly, If he thinks about reproaching him concerning it, Will be silent saying (only), 'I have no comment.'

If you are a leader, Take responsibility in I the matters entrusted to you, And you will accomplish things of note. But think on the days which are still to come, Lest some misdeed should arise to destroy your favorable position, For an occasion of hatred is (like) the entrance of a crocodile.

If you are a man of authority, Be patient when you are listening to the words of a petitioner; Do not dismiss him until he has completely unburdened himself Of what he had planned I to say to you. A man who has been wronged desires to express his frustrations Even more than the accomplishment of the (justice) for which he came; But concerning him who dismisses petitions Men say, 'Why ever did he reject it?' 9,7 Not everything about which he has petitioned will be done, But a sympathetic hearing is a means of calming the heart.

quote:

Do not repeat slander, And do not listen to it, For it is but the prattling of a churlish man. Repeat only what is seen, not what is heard, Or forget it and say nothing at all, For he who is listening to you can discern I what is trustworthy.

quote:

If you are influential, you should establish respect for yourself Through knowledge and through courtesy in speech. Do not be domineering I except in official matters, For the aggressive man meets with trouble. Do not be arrogant, lest you be brought low; Do not be silent, but yet be cautious of causing offence When you answer a speech angrily.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I care a lot about ancient Egyptian philosophy/rhetoric, but it's one of those things I care about in a way I worry others find everything I want to say about it far less interesting than I do :lol:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I care a lot about ancient Egyptian philosophy/rhetoric, but it's one of those things I care about in a way I worry others find everything I want to say about it far less interesting than I do :lol:

1) pretty sure people reading the ancient history thread want to read about ancient history

2) we still have 227 pages to go before we reach the end of history and close/reboot the thread, so get postin'

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Well those are both very good points!

I should be within stone's throw of a computer this weekend, I will try and come up with a big interesting post for everyone to enjoy. :buddy:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Do not be domineering I except in official matters

Genuine lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Judgy Fucker posted:

1) pretty sure people reading the ancient history thread want to read about ancient history

2) we still have 227 pages to go before we reach the end of history and close/reboot the thread, so get postin'

Wonder if there's a way to make a thread that starts at like page -5000 and counts up.