Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Good summary of whats going on. Nothing we don't know but still a good read.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/mlb-nba-rsn-sports-networks-1235538067/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/lebatardshow/status/1681330680091869185?s=46

This is great from Stugotz. Every once in a while you see the various talking heads drop their facade like this and it’s refreshing. Cowherd does it every so often too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is like three days after he confused Jake Owen, a country music star, with Aaron Rodgers

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Wow he really trampled Dan there didn’t even leave room for a sober plaintive “but stugotz…….”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that last line, god you can feel the frustration. "oh I did, 'survival of the fattest', it was great..."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sherman4949/status/1682443265650327552?s=46

so the nfl and nba might be “strategic partners” with espn

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The one thing ESPN lacks is enough coverage of the NFL.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/sherman4949/status/1682443265650327552?s=46

so the nfl and nba might be “strategic partners” with espn

"Strategic partnership" is code for "sale."

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1682513357293731841

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

This is so stupid. It's punditry at its worst. It's like that time SAS had to talk about a football game and talked about players who were out for the year as upcoming impact players (I think it was Hunter Henry when he was on the Chargers). Talking Heads have never needed to know stuff why start now I guess

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Forrest on Fire posted:

This is so stupid. It's punditry at its worst. It's like that time SAS had to talk about a football game and talked about players who were out for the year as upcoming impact players (I think it was Hunter Henry when he was on the Chargers). Talking Heads have never needed to know stuff why start now I guess

Never forget SAS’ column in the Philadelphia Inquirer about Donovan McNabb being the second black quarterback to start a Super Bowl (after Doug Williams in SBXXII).

He forgot about Steve McNair in SBXXXIV.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

soggybagel posted:

The one thing ESPN lacks is enough coverage of the NFL.

It got pointed out to me that if a league bought part of ESPN, the network would be compromised in its journalistic integrity in coverage for that league.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Edward Mass posted:

It got pointed out to me that if a league bought part of ESPN, the network would be compromised in its journalistic integrity in coverage for that league.

Lol

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

James Dolan's ears just perked up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Edward Mass posted:

It's a good thing ESPN has been like almost pointedly laying off it's journalists then lol.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ESPN has been "journalistically" covering leagues it's been in multi billion dollar deals with forever. This maybe peels back a thin veneer of neutrality, but let's not pretend that was ever very thick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Though honestly it might be easier to be critical of my boss vs being critical of my companies biggest client.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the last shred of ESPN's journalistic integrity died when they got rid of Outside The Lines.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

how soon we forget playmakers

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If anything Playmakers was too tame compared to actual NFL stories I've heard or seen

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
As someone who owned the DVD box set of Playmakers at one time, it really wasn't that good.

Now, put it on extended cable/streaming and set it in the 80's SWC/SEC, now you got something cookin'.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Playmakers wasn't believable because the actors weren't juiced up enough.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Remember The Sports Reporters? The show as a kid I would be pissed was on because it was "boring." How I would long for long boring sports conversations these days.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

soggybagel posted:

Remember The Sports Reporters? The show as a kid I would be pissed was on because it was "boring." How I would long for long boring sports conversations these days.

That was the show that was "The McLaughlin Group, but Sports" right?

I had the same opinion as a kid.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hockles posted:

That was the show that was "The McLaughlin Group, but Sports" right?

I had the same opinion as a kid.

Yea pretty much. I think 4 or 5 reporters from the more well known papers sitting around and talking on Sunday morning.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah it was always like Dick Schapp, Mike Lupica, Mitch Albom, and a bunch of other guys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's the show where Mitch Albom said Jameis Winston's victim should've donated her settlement.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's the show where Mitch Albom said Jameis Winston's victim should've donated her settlement.

i met mitch albom once doing a neighborhood board up project in detroit which his non profit was funding. he is by far the smarmiest person i have ever talked to. also jarringly short

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My stepdad, and I guess therefore me as well, would listen to Mitch Albom on the radio when I was very young, and drat he was boring. He was one of the only national radios guys who ever talked about baseball though. which shows how different things were then that there wasn't national sports radio yet.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Now, put it on extended cable/streaming and set it in the 80's SWC/SEC, now you got something cookin'.

Absolutely the SWC, just have to base it off Pony Excess. Easy as.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh gently caress yeah

ESPN posted:

ESPN Events will present the inaugural Band of the Year National Championship, a prestigious competition featuring the nation’s top marching bands from Historically Black College and Universities (HBCUs). The event will take place at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on December 15 in advance of the 2023 Cricket Celebration Bowl, the unofficial HBCU National Championship college football game between the champions of the MEAC and SWAC.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I am going to watch the absolute poo poo out of this.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Probably not a surprise, but

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1684285422745055235

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

You beat me to it

Perfect hire for Meadowlark Media

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I somehow get the feeling whenever he goes next and finishes up with this summer break, I’ll still be able to get some successor to The Right Time as a podcast and hell, maybe even more Evening Jones episodes too.

The Right Time is great almost in spite of ESPN, not because of it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Votto gave an all timer of a postgame interview:

https://twitter.com/mlbnetwork/status/1684377365252567041?s=46

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

More athletes should just cut promos

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That’s as much promo as it is imitation of the Mad Dog style, but hell, it was pretty awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://awfulannouncing.com/hbo/bishop-sycamore-documentary-bs-high-hbo-premiere-august-23.html

a Bishop Sycamore documentary releases in about a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s an awesome title for it.