Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only number I want going up between runs is the difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doomsday Hunters is now out. I got this game three years ago because I liked the pixel art.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175360/Doomsday_Hunters/

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

I too have dreamed of a regression roguelike. Honestly I think you could do it in a way that doesn’t feel punitive.

In the beginning, perhaps you only have a few, very powerful options, but as the game progresses you gain wisdom and cleverness, but lose raw power. I think mechanically that could be represented by a lot of weaker options that, if used intelligently, might be more powerful in concert. I’m not creative enough to imagine the aesthetic framing around this, but I think more players would be interested in this than you think.

The omnipresence of crafting games, for instance, which thrive on disempowering players and making them scrape for every inch of progress, would indicate to me that there’s a market for this kind of thing.

I had the idea of it being something like FTL, where you're on a ship that's on some kind of expedition. Your crew can gain experience, but you're out in the unknown so your supplies are for the most part only going to go down, equipment will only ever degrade, etc. Might be infuriating to actually play, but it was the most straightforward way of doing it that came to mind.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

The only number I want going up between runs is the difficulty.

i'm the opposite and i never understood the appeal of ascension type stuff....... i've been playing halls of torment (vampiresurvivorlike) and next update they're gonna include a thing which makes it so the better a run is going the more difficult it becomes until i assume you just die and like.... i just wanna play the game and have fun :qq:

not that i actually have anything to complain about tho, as far as i know those systems have always been opt-in (unless they're the kind of game that locks all sorts of content behind it)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Turin Turambar posted:

Doomsday Hunters is now out. I got this game three years ago because I liked the pixel art.

Is this the game that was called Dracula something at some point? I think I played it sometime during EA.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Broken Cog posted:

Is this the game that was called Dracula something at some point? I think I played it sometime during EA.

yeah it used to be called I, Dracula: Genesis

i bought it 3 years ago and have barely played it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

And it seems they have added a metaprogression screen in 1.0! and it isn't a trivial amount!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i think there was always a bunch of metaprog

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.
Metaprogresser? I hardly know her.

Got Breach Wanderers on a whim and found it fun, but a bit easy so far. I assume the difficulty ramps up a bit later? Either way it's fun to knock a run out in 20 minutes and theorycraft a better engine than last time.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Drone Incognito posted:

Metaprogresser? I hardly know her.

Got Breach Wanderers on a whim and found it fun, but a bit easy so far. I assume the difficulty ramps up a bit later? Either way it's fun to knock a run out in 20 minutes and theorycraft a better engine than last time.

Yes, Depth 3 and 4 don't mess about

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
been playing enter the gungeon a lot lately and this was really hard. only got hit one time on the last boss. was one hit away from getting all 5 master bullets in one run. :cripes:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

I had the idea of it being something like FTL, where you're on a ship that's on some kind of expedition. Your crew can gain experience, but you're out in the unknown so your supplies are for the most part only going to go down, equipment will only ever degrade, etc. Might be infuriating to actually play, but it was the most straightforward way of doing it that came to mind.

FTL still has shops, even in the red sectors, and the game has random events that just hand you new guns. There's even a couple of 'quests' that are specifically about getting new guns. And mechanically speaking, the point of the game is to gear up, which IMO is a number go up mechanic, to face the flagship, which has some fairly easily definable parameters even if the means of approaching those are quite varied. The 8 sectors are the dungeon, and the ship and its crew and gear are the dude in Rogue, it's a game about progression (within the run), IMO.

Of course the RNG aspect of it is that the game can give you a run where you don't get any of the really good stuff, and you have to try and improvise. Or you run into seven missile enemies in a row (:argh:) and you just loving die because gently caress you that's why, but that's roguelikes! :xcom:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

FTL still has shops, even in the red sectors, and the game has random events that just hand you new guns. There's even a couple of 'quests' that are specifically about getting new guns. And mechanically speaking, the point of the game is to gear up, which IMO is a number go up mechanic, to face the flagship, which has some fairly easily definable parameters even if the means of approaching those are quite varied. The 8 sectors are the dungeon, and the ship and its crew and gear are the dude in Rogue, it's a game about progression (within the run), IMO.

Of course the RNG aspect of it is that the game can give you a run where you don't get any of the really good stuff, and you have to try and improvise. Or you run into seven missile enemies in a row (:argh:) and you just loving die because gently caress you that's why, but that's roguelikes! :xcom:

like FTL in that you are on a ship going to a specific place, not in that you gradually get weaker. you definitely do not get weaker in FTL

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drone Incognito posted:

I went to try it on my phone, because I would mind a card game for my phone, but it runs at what looks like 15 fps, which feels really bad.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many lites could a roguelite like if a roguelite could like lites?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

fizzy posted:

How many lites could a roguelite like if a roguelite could like lites?

Two to start, but you can unlock more after you mpreg

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any tilesets we can apply to the thread or thread title? My eyes ache

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's the fan-made "I never met>-+oprogression I didn't like" but it looks kind of ugly imo

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Farabel did the start as a hero and get weaker as you progress thing, but I don't know if it does anything particularly rogue-y. Still, might be worth a glance for those of you who've been playing with the idea.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne also did it.
It's not all that interesting

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Upsidads posted:

Any tilesets we can apply to the thread or thread title? My eyes ache

"I never met😀progression I didn't like"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any good roguelikes for mobile around these days? Going on a trip in a few days, and would be nice to have something for the train ride.

Coincidentally, I actually did mess around with making a mobile dungeoncrawler using swiping and clicking as movement/interaction some years back, but it fizzled out after getting the basic movement working, like most of my projects.

Edit: Already have Slice and Dice.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any good roguelikes for mobile around these days? Going on a trip in a few days, and would be nice to have something for the train ride.

Coincidentally, I actually did mess around with making a mobile dungeoncrawler using swiping and clicking as movement/interaction some years back, but it fizzled out after getting the basic movement working, like most of my projects.

edit: nuts!

um, how about Card Quest? Low numbers hand builder is the quick pitch. Decks consist of two default cards plus some from your style/weapon/(defence/quiver). Surprisingly fancy descriptions for using the Dragon Whistle to hit areas.

It might help if you say what type of mobile you have.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

Hoplite is a bit older but a very good bite-sized mobile Roguelike.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
card quest owns a lot, it's so sad the dev got destroyed by the Reality of the Industry :smith: hope they're doin' well tho

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Cheers, I'll definitely check those out. Though I guess none of the more traditional/complex roguelikes have been ported to mobile so far?

Oh, and I'm on Android

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Cheers, I'll definitely check those out. Though I guess none of the more traditional/complex roguelikes have been ported to mobile so far?

Oh, and I'm on Android

Pixel Dungeon is as close as you're getting to a traditional roguelike on mobile, afaik.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There are a handful of mobile ports of traditional roguelikes but a lot of them just use an on-screen keyboard and end up pretty terrible.

You could always try Pathos! It's effectively a Nethack fork that was designed entirely for mobile.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sproggiwood is a goon-made mobile roguelike, and is very good.

Seconding the suggestion for Hoplite. You might also look at MicRogue.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Broken Cog posted:

Shattered Pixel Dungeon has you covered here and is a good game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cardinal quest 2 is pretty good as far as mobile roguelike games go.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

slammed out another 15-rune in dcss with an extremely busted octopode shapeshifter. my highest score yet! http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tommu/morgue-Tommu-20230722-185651.txt

the shapeshifter changes in trunk are a lot of fun but they might be a little too easy to use? it's been moved from a spell school to something more like an evocable, so you don't have to pump your intelligence or train magic skills on top of your fighting skills. unless you want to. do what you like. it's a free country

anyway if you haven't gotten a win in dcss yet, do it with a shapeshifter, you'll fly right through it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Are there any good roguelikes for mobile around these days?

I’m liking Otherworld Legends so far. Rogue like punchem with limited meta progression, mostly unlocking new characters and different skill choices for existing characters.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

slammed out another 15-rune in dcss with an extremely busted octopode shapeshifter. my highest score yet! http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Tommu/morgue-Tommu-20230722-185651.txt

the shapeshifter changes in trunk are a lot of fun but they might be a little too easy to use? it's been moved from a spell school to something more like an evocable, so you don't have to pump your intelligence or train magic skills on top of your fighting skills. unless you want to. do what you like. it's a free country

anyway if you haven't gotten a win in dcss yet, do it with a shapeshifter, you'll fly right through it

Interesting. Transmuter was always my favorite class, but yeah the spread on skill points was always brutal. Having to get unarmed fighting, spellcasting, transmutations and a smattering of secondary magic schools to support the shapeshifts was really rough. This sounds much easier.

Still in the ToME waiting room.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Lady Radia posted:

card quest owns a lot, it's so sad the dev got destroyed by the Reality of the Industry :smith: hope they're doin' well tho

Pretty sure they landed on their feet with Card Survival. Not a roguelike, but the demo might be of interest.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Abalon knocked out a fairly meaty first post-release update: Better progression, challenges, shops, etc

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1681840/view/3673299072053719197

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

habituallyred posted:

Pretty sure they landed on their feet with Card Survival. Not a roguelike, but the demo might be of interest.

Woah what happened with the devs?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Brimruk posted:

Woah what happened with the devs?

They made Card Survival, a completely different style of game that actually made them money, and so they put Card Quest related projects aside in favor of, well, not being broke all the time.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Mithross posted:

They made Card Survival, a completely different style of game that actually made them money, and so they put Card Quest related projects aside in favor of, well, not being broke all the time.

I’d meant about their issues with Card Quest but then I’d remembered their publisher screwed them or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Finally got a 3-win streak in Wildfrost. Congrats to Tackdo, Wamman, and Tonklan, the dream team, but mostly to shellbo for showing up on all three runs and carrying me.