Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah it’s a real joy. The modern artist just can’t get the feelings quite right.
Yeah, I enjoy the modern strip quite a bit and I think the art is excellent in it, but Foster really was next level and his expression work was basically always on point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Re: Crabgrass, the wild out-there elements are fine. It's the pacing that needs work.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

"He was discourteous, and discourtesy is unspeakably ugly to me."

I like to imagine Calvin's watching a Roy Nord commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm1hCvozqGE
The territory beyond - it's still out there.

(I said it a while back but man, late C&H struck me as trenchant and cutting as a kid and just reads as sanctimonious and trite as an adult. I don't know if that's because I'm more mature, or if it's because I've spent 30 years watching the same ugly elements of society that Watterson was railing against then become normalized to the point where I can't get upset about them anymore. There's so much poo poo worse than vapid commercials these days.)

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

But even Watterson's most pedantic moralizing is miles away from being as infuriating and insipid at Batiuk's output. This is a comic made for the enjoyment of one person, wallowing his his own nostalgia and reminiscence. Masturbation in the middle of the funny pages.

Haifisch posted:

Dick Tracy

Gotta assume this Crimestoppers Textbook is a dogwhistle.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Watterson could be curmudgeonly, but his art and storytelling is great and he comes across more as just an eclectic loner.

Batiuk is very Boomer-y in a similar way to Dustin except without the sneering, seething hatred for the young.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Watterson could be curmudgeonly, but his art and storytelling is great and he comes across more as just an eclectic loner.

Batiuk is very Boomer-y in a similar way to Dustin except without the sneering, seething hatred for the young.

That's only because the young in Funky are not really young. Every one of them is born old and liking only old things.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Luann needs to learn from Mavis Beacon.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (August 7, 1935)

Peanuts (July 23, 1976)

Crankshaft

Jeff. Buddy. You could've picked those up at that stupid comic book store that you and your presumed future son-in-law keep haunting now that the universes have merged. Why even, I ask of thee.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 23, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 11-13, 1942)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I6NI8GVVCg

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

JethroMcB posted:

(I said it a while back but man, late C&H struck me as trenchant and cutting as a kid and just reads as sanctimonious and trite as an adult. I don't know if that's because I'm more mature, or if it's because I've spent 30 years watching the same ugly elements of society that Watterson was railing against then become normalized to the point where I can't get upset about them anymore. There's so much poo poo worse than vapid commercials these days.)

I think that's it, you're used to it now. This was 30 years ago when we had no idea how bad it'd get and Watterson, older than us and a bit of a curmudgeon, was warning of the things he saw. I can't see them as sanctimonious, just as Bill being 100% accurate in his predictions. They're sucky predictions to have come true but considering Bill stuck to his guns on not licensing C&H out he's pretty sincere.

Jucika "152 - Jucika Is Feeling Cold"

"153 - Jucika In The Cloakroom"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Jeff. Buddy. You could've picked those up at that stupid comic book store that you and your presumed future son-in-law keep haunting now that the universes have merged. Why even, I ask of thee.

Who is carrying the second set of books?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who is carrying the second set of books?

Smug McLargeHuge

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're floating along on a cloud of pure nostalgic wankery.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

https://y.yarn.co/d8db95c3-23ee-44f7-8b96-3003ba61b863.mp4

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

goatface posted:

They're floating along on a cloud of pure nostalgic wankery.

That's this whole storyline, to be honest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Ok, It's irrationally bothering me now. When this chucklefuck first showed up in costume, he was colored as Quicksilver; blue suit, white lightning bolt. Paired with Scarlet Witch, as they are siblings was OK, unless you go to the alternate universe where they are still siblings, but they also gently caress. Looking now it seems like they change her too from having the red bathing suit with gloves and pink body suit. EDIT: And a brown cape? WTF?

Next they switched his color scheme to red and yellow, the Flash's color scheme. OK. At least he's still a speedster. She appears to be in all red now.

Now he almost appears to have the yellow braided cord around his neck/shoulders, and a yellow collar kind of like Shazam, who would technically also have a red and yellow lightning bolt design. Not gloves, typically, but whatever. Just missing the white cape. And she went from having a full costume to a long sleeve shirt, that she has rolled up to her elbows and a cardboard halo around her head. She may as well have on a 70's drugstore Halloween costume that is a red shirt, with a picture of Scarlet Witch on it with "Scarlet Witch" in big pink letters.

The details are still there, it's just the colorist doing a lovely job.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 21, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Syndicate colouring presumably.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

:golfclap:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Billingsley Made a Huge Mistake With The New Hat and This Is His Way Out

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days: New chapter!

Bardiche Hotel

End of chapter 4: Rain.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

The Phantom

initially thought mary worth was about to finally deliver the goods in a vicious weinerdog attack on an accomplice

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

CzarChasm posted:

The details are still there, it's just the colorist doing a lovely job.

The good news is TomBat is such a nerd it's probably driving him up the wall also.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

what is he supposed to be doing while house sitting? watering plants, feeding pets, testing the AI?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what is he supposed to be doing while house sitting? watering plants, feeding pets, testing the AI?

Have you ever seen the movie Demon Seed?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Controlling People's loving Lives Because Otherwise They'll Murder Each Other. I Also Hate The Sunday Script. I Don't Like Rudy. Let Him Have His Privacy On His Own Regardless You Hovering Fucks.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (November 7-9, 1938)

Comic Strips 2023: It would make a swell pair o' pants - for Satan!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The father looks like this is the most tragic thing that's ever happened to him. :haw:

goatface posted:

Syndicate colouring presumably.
Yeah, Sundays are generally the correct colours and every other day is some syndicate employee's best guess.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Ah, the prequel to this reddit post

IIRC there was eventually an update where he looked at the room in bright daylight and saw just how disgusting the surrounding wall and floor had gotten

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (August 18, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(June 17, 1917)Spoilered for Mock Duck

Little Nemo(November 11, 1906) timged because at least he isn't having them talk

God Dammit McCay.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

End of chapter 4: Rain.

Wow QRais, way to make the silly story about a guy getting turned into a monster super sad :(

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the modern strip quite a bit and I think the art is excellent in it, but Foster really was next level and his expression work was basically always on point.

It's really incredible what Foster was able to turn out on a weekly basis without computerized tools.

Vintage Valiant (May 18, 1958)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Awww, Sir Gawain is such an excellent dog!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some people seemed to like these and I enjoyed making them, so why not have some more "Mad Dog" Morgan?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I enjoy them!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I loving love them, please keep doing Smart Dr. Rex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I like 'em because Regular Rex Morgan is a cocky, disdainful, smug prick anyway — Mad Dog simply drops the bullshit.

Why lie to yourself, Rex Morgan.