Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

Did STAS use the lab accident story out of curiosity? I know he was already bald when he first met Superman at least

I don't think they ever show Lex before he meets Superman in the STAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Larryb posted:

Harley Quinn Season 4 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQIznYOb2uI

How is the show out of curiosity? I was thinking of finally checking it out

I've been genuinely impressed by Kaley Cuoco's vocal perfomance.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been genuinely impressed by Kaley Cuoco's vocal perfomance.

Is the cast pretty much brand new for the franchise or are there any Batman alumni involved?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Larryb posted:

Is the cast pretty much brand new for the franchise or are there any Batman alumni involved?

I've haven't really looked into that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Larryb posted:

Pretty new for the most part. Diedrich Bader comes back as Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Joker is played by Alan Tudyk to perfection. I really like the direction he goes in season 2 and 3.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Warworld was not a good JLA movie, well not a good movie in general.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's always JLA x RWBY!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Air Skwirl posted:

I don't think they ever show Lex before he meets Superman in the STAS.

Lex there hates Superman cause Supes refused to submit to his control. Which then grows over time into an obsession with besting him. Notably his final episode in the original series before Justice League was him just snapping over his defeats and publicly attacking Superman leading to the law finally punishing him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lex there hates Superman cause Supes refused to submit to his control. Which then grows over time into an obsession with besting him. Notably his final episode in the original series before Justice League was him just snapping over his defeats and publicly attacking Superman leading to the law finally punishing him.

Yeah, I was just saying there's no canonical reason for him being bald.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In JLU Lex does get cancer from his obsession with Superman, so that would've made him go bald if he wasn't already.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SlothfulCobra posted:

In JLU Lex does get cancer from his obsession with Superman, so that would've made him go bald if he wasn't already.

lol. Cancer doesn't just make people go bald. (Normally.) It's the chemo and radiation therapy that makes people lose their hair. You're basically slightly poisoning yourself with the hope of killing the cancer more than yourself.

Besides, Lex used his power suit vest to keep his cancer in remission. Not chemotherapy. Then Brainiac's infestation just straight up cures him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Pretty new for the most part. Diedrich Bader comes back as Bruce Wayne and Batman.

Joker is played by Alan Tudyk to perfection. I really like the direction he goes in season 2 and 3.

Speaking of, how are the other Batman related cartoons besides BTAS (specifically Brave and the Bold and The Batman)?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how are the other Batman related cartoons besides BTAS (specifically Brave and the Bold and The Batman)?

Brave and the Bold has a lot of fondly remembered episodes. The Batman got better as time went on but it needed some episodes to sort itself out. Beware the Batman was actually pretty fun but it was around the time Cartoon Network was trying to memory hole any action cartoon so nobody saw it much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

BatB is fantastic assuming you don't mind lighthearted and it can do dark well too

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brave and the Bold is much better for rewatching than TAS. TAS was obviously great and formative when I was younger but I find it slow and more roughly animated than what I remembered from childhood. Different tone of course but at any given moment B&tB is more entertaining.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Brave and the Bold has a lot of fondly remembered episodes. The Batman got better as time went on but it needed some episodes to sort itself out. Beware the Batman was actually pretty fun but it was around the time Cartoon Network was trying to memory hole any action cartoon so nobody saw it much.

Works for me, thanks (Beware is also the shortest series at only 26 episodes)

Back to MAWS, I’m glad Lois found out about Clark sooner rather than later (or not at all as I believe was the case in STAS), looking forward to seeing where things go from here

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 22, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://twitter.com/Dcanimatedmovie/status/1682639858911543297?s=20

Both of these are going to suck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crisis could be fine, for as fine as Crisis can be.

No way is a Watchmen animated movie going to be good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
great, just what i always wanted. watchmen, again. only this time in the absolute garbage tier animation quality dc shits out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t they tried doing an animated Watchmen before or am I remembering wrong?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Man that really takes me back to 2003 or so when conventional wisdom was that Watchmen could only be adapted by a 12-part animated hbo series. Well, teen me, you just got the monkey’s paw wish, but it will be canned to save on royalties after two days.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I tend to think of Batman Beyond as just an extension of B:TAS, although I guess it's significantly different and separate from where the rest of the DCAU went. It was very good. Batman's too old in the cyberpunk future, so his mantle gets taken on by a teenager under the supervision of old Bruce Wayne. It's neat stuff, and I think it works well from taking basically a lot of the same stuff from B:TAS and doing basically wholly original plots with mostly original characters (although a few of them are future versions of old villains). Most of its elements also couldn't be really be brought into mainstream DC comics continuity unlike the original aspects of B:TAS, so it ends up standing apart more.

Brave and the Bold was absolutely zany fun, it was all about homaging the less serious Batman of days gone by, like the Adam West show or lots of wacky golden age references. Batman himself though always remains stony and serious, so epidoes are usually more about the other heroes he teams up with. Their take on Aquaman was a real breakout hit.

Beware the Bat was weird, it was a purposeful attempt to step back and away from the bigger supervillains and focus on Batman as a solo street level vigilante (pretty much the exact antithesis of Brave and the Bold). It was interesting, but the main thing I remember is the theme was really great.

There's a slew of animated movies, some of them are kinda connected to the DCAU, some aren't, most haven't really interested me much. But the best animated Batman movie is the Lego Batman movie, which is all about unpicking the grim and gritty version of Batman that some people tend to idolize.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s obviously going to suck poo poo, obviously. They won’t even try to duplicate Gibbons’ style or palette.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I tend to think of Batman Beyond as just an extension of B:TAS, although I guess it's significantly different and separate from where the rest of the DCAU went. It was very good. Batman's too old in the cyberpunk future, so his mantle gets taken on by a teenager under the supervision of old Bruce Wayne. It's neat stuff, and I think it works well from taking basically a lot of the same stuff from B:TAS and doing basically wholly original plots with mostly original characters (although a few of them are future versions of old villains). Most of its elements also couldn't be really be brought into mainstream DC comics continuity unlike the original aspects of B:TAS, so it ends up standing apart more.

Brave and the Bold was absolutely zany fun, it was all about homaging the less serious Batman of days gone by, like the Adam West show or lots of wacky golden age references. Batman himself though always remains stony and serious, so epidoes are usually more about the other heroes he teams up with. Their take on Aquaman was a real breakout hit.

Beware the Bat was weird, it was a purposeful attempt to step back and away from the bigger supervillains and focus on Batman as a solo street level vigilante (pretty much the exact antithesis of Brave and the Bold). It was interesting, but the main thing I remember is the theme was really great.

There's a slew of animated movies, some of them are kinda connected to the DCAU, some aren't, most haven't really interested me much. But the best animated Batman movie is the Lego Batman movie, which is all about unpicking the grim and gritty version of Batman that some people tend to idolize.

I’ve seen Beyond but how was the comic book adaptation/continuation out of curiosity?

Also I’ve started Harley Quinn, it’s pretty good so far and I like that Batgirl is voiced by Kaley Cuoco’s real life sister (Harley starting off in her classic outfit and then switching to her modern look after officially jumping ship was a nice touch as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 22, 2023

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Larryb posted:

There was a motion comic version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The pirate comics in Watchmen animated should be live action

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Larryb posted:

I really like The Batman, it's a more action-y take on Batman, but I think it works quite well. Brave and the Bold is lots of fun, for the most part a sillier and more comic take based almost entirely around team-ups, I highly recommend it. Beware the Batman is an interesting one too, it tried to do something different, mostly hit, and got cancelled before it could really come into its own.

Huh.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

These are gonna be terrible

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8SVQGbLS6U

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Larryb posted:

There was a big motion comic version of Watchmen and then the live action movie did animation for the Tales of the Black Freighter segments (that got cut from theatrical and put back in on home release.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

They did animated versions of the in universe pirate comic, and the did a motion comic version of the actual comic (voice over while panning over the art from the actual comic) otherwise the only animated Watchmen I know of is this
https://youtu.be/YDDHHrt6l4w

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Even ignoring how bad DC’s direct to home animated stuff tends to be nowadays, I just can’t see either of these stories being compressed to an 80 minute film and being worth anything.

Besides we already had a perfect take on COIE with the Arrowverse so there’s really no reason to retread that ground.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I’ve seen Beyond but how was the comic book adaptation/continuation out of curiosity?

There have been numerous Beyond comics over the years since the show and numerous reboots over the years. Some of the comics are okay, some are absolutely dire.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ahaha Watchmen is gonna be so terrible, they'll use modern color styles instead of trying to fit the comic, then they'll rush through every plot point, hit a few iconic panels but probably not be able to capture them properly (like how they messed up Long Halloween) and cash the check.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ccs posted:

Ahaha Watchmen is gonna be so terrible, they'll use modern color styles instead of trying to fit the comic, then they'll rush through every plot point, hit a few iconic panels but probably not be able to capture them properly (like how they messed up Long Halloween) and cash the check.

"you're locked up in here... with me..."

*Pause for applause*

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Yeah I have a sad but confident feeling that that motion comic will be the superior version of Watchmen than this actual animated film.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

lmao at trying to do a Crisis on Infinite Earths after you couldn't loving manage Justice League or Flashpoint without making GBS threads the bed

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

There was already a perfect comics adaptation to cinema, it was Zack Snyder's Watchmen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snyder’s movie was probably like 83% faithful to the source material. His changes were extremely silly, but what new work could another adaptation do? What’s the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Gatts posted:

There was already a perfect comics adaptation to cinema, it was Zack Snyder's Watchmen.

I admit I didn't find it a great adaptation of COIE but to each their own