Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Shifty Pony posted:

Roguelikes are a pretty good genre to play as a parent. No real lore to memorize and no storyline progression to catch up on. 20-60 minutes per run but there's no real consequence to ending a run early if you need to.

You can play vampire survivors with a single finger if you want.

Exactly. These make up the vast majority of what I play now, or sports games which are similarly discrete bite sized chunks.

It is pretty cool that my kids are old enough to play games now though. They both play Pokémon Let’s Go and think I’m a wizard because I know the type matchups. And the Astros Playroom game that came with my PS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That Astro game is a must play for PS5 owners it's so cool.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gbut posted:

For other chill phone games that are pausable: Mini Metro and Mini Motorways

I've really enjoyed mini metro, looks like it's continuing to get updates and new maps

Turmoil is by the same guys and I found it highly addicting, there's probably a mobile version of it as well

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok we’re starting our boy out with some oatmeal, which he seems to love!

When I put a spoon up to his mouth he kind of sucks it in a little bit, is that what they’re supposed to do? I also try to just put the whole spoon in and angle it so his lip pulls it off the e spoon.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm working slowly through Disco Elysium right now... 45 min at a time

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

A Bad King posted:

From the twitter thread:

got a sensible chuckle out of me

Current gaming setup: elliptical in my bedroom and an Xbox hooked up to the TV = I no longer feel like a complete goober while killing demons for an hour in Diablo

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Vampire Survivors, baby. Fast and fun.

Toddler loves watching the hubs play “Link” (TotK) and loves watching me play the “farming game” (Harvest Moon on the SNES virtual console).

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
For those of you who have kids with the motor skills to competently use an Xbox controller, Untitled Goose Game in two player mode is an absolute delight. Or at least lil bee and me had a lot of fun going through it together :)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Since it's on topic, I'll re-plug the thread I started over in Video Games a few months back focused on gaming with kids. It's a slow thread, but this recent series of posts makes me think I should add a section to the OP for "Games to play when you have a few minutes between diaper changes."

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 21, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah Vampire Survivors was a winner for our first 4 months. Then I started getting a bit more air and was able to move up to the new Zelda. My wife and I also were able to play a It Takes Two before bed, which was a nice activity to do together.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Parents without pets: am I alone in saying that a small fraction of my diet includes food that has been on the floor and/or spat out of baby's mouth?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

sometimes passively grazing on rejected baby food is what gets you through the day

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We went on vacation last week and borded our dogs. One breakfast our 4 year old knocked some cereal out of his bowl and casually pushed it to the floor to clean it up. "There's no dogs here, buddy!"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

During one long nap on this trip I was able to play through What Remains of Edith Finch on my brother's PS5. Dual Sense is really cool.

Maybe not the best to play in hindsight...felt very different playing through it before having a child and after a child.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

GoutPatrol posted:

During one long nap on this trip I was able to play through What Remains of Edith Finch on my brother's PS5. Dual Sense is really cool.

Maybe not the best to play in hindsight...felt very different playing through it before having a child and after a child.

I felt like a lot of media is like that for me now post-kid. I never liked references to violence against children but now it will almost always completely ruin it for me

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah Vampire Survivors was a winner for our first 4 months. Then I started getting a bit more air and was able to move up to the new Zelda. My wife and I also were able to play a It Takes Two before bed, which was a nice activity to do together.

Wife and I tried it takes two and we never got past the first area of the game because she couldn’t figure out the jump dash thing lmfao.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

whiskas posted:

Parents without pets: am I alone in saying that a small fraction of my diet includes food that has been on the floor and/or spat out of baby's mouth?

That and food baby didn't eat or is now too old to feed baby, yes

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Parents are trash pandas got it

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Blarg, yes

Ever since getting WIC... the cheese ration is just "dad's midnight snack block". Me and the dog will just eat an 8oz cube of solid Colbe Jack in one night after everyone else is confirmed asleep.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

My three year old seems to have inherited his dad’s horrible motion sickness. This latest time he managed to warn me that he was sick, and I got him a plastic bag, that he proceeded to vomit next to. (I was in the front passenger seat and could not physically hold it for him.) I tried so hard to tell him how to hold the bag and failed miserably. Trying to teach him afterwards for if he feels sick again was similarly useless. I don’t know what he thinks I’m trying to tell him but it’s apparently clear as mud. Anyone have any advice? He hates to be dirty and demands to be changed if he even drips a Popsicle on his shorts so id think with the right messaging he will be well motivated to use the bag.

My nephew used to get horrible car sickness sometimes too. The precursor to vomiting was usually a wailed "I have a headache!". Last time he did it I just held a folded towel up to him and he just spewed in the middle of it - hard to miss that big a target. More washing and you can't slide it off easily but better than vomiting on himself.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
6yo: What's the highest thing? Space?
Me: Well, that's interesting, once you leave Earth, there's no such thing as high and low, or up and down.
6yo: Is it the sky?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Jesus Christ blippi is so goddamn annoying. I have watched a lot of crap with my son but this is really trying me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Am I a bad parent if, upon smelling a dirty diaper at home, I give my toddler a few minutes with it just to make sure everything's cleared out?

El Mero Mero posted:

I missed whatever prompted this discussion thread, but Vampire Survivors got me through a lot of 4 AM vigils when we first had our son. Complex enough to keep me awake, basic enough to play with one hand and be put down at a moment's notice if he woke up. Plus this was while it was still in beta, so if we give him a younger sibling in a couple of years I can make a new file and finally try the full release :haw:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Am I a bad parent if, upon smelling a dirty diaper at home, I give my toddler a few minutes with it just to make sure everything's cleared ?

Not at all. Our little guy has some semi-regular dirty diaper windows, so we know when to expect them and we give him a little extra time to percolate.

Unrelated question--when did people feel ready to pull the trigger on the first haircut? I love our 14-month-old's rock star hair, but I can't deny he would benefit from a trim. I just don't know if he'd sit still for it.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Crescent Wrench posted:

Not at all. Our little guy has some semi-regular dirty diaper windows, so we know when to expect them and we give him a little extra time to percolate.

Unrelated question--when did people feel ready to pull the trigger on the first haircut? I love our 14-month-old's rock star hair, but I can't deny he would benefit from a trim. I just don't know if he'd sit still for it.

Grow it till it's a lion's mane. Rock on.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We got the boy's first haircut last summer when he was 15mo since it got so hot here and probably will do it again very soon this summer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wife cut our daughter's hair just after 2 because too much crap was getting caught in it and brushing it out was becoming a painful chore

I found out a lot of cultures shave their kid's head shortly after birth, especially those whose kids are born with a full head of hair. My guess is that it helps clean up any birth goop that doesn't wash out easy, probably helps minimize cradle cap, etc; but the myth is that without getting your head shaved your hair will be thin and sparse, or something

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

We showed our kid Untitled Goose Game the other night. She figured out the honk button and then kept passing the controller between us. “It’s your turn, mummy!”

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
We trim our son's hair when his bangs get into his eyes. But you should do it whenever you feel that it will make either your life or their life easier

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My almost 5 year old has the hair of a wildling, but he can brush it himself 90% of it. He doesn't want it cut and even told me he wants a long long beard and mustache.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
We gave our son his first haircut before his first birthday and he’s had one every couple months since then. We go to a place that specializes in kid’s haircuts, and they do a very good job with him. They get the whole job done in a few minutes and even when he’s in full fuss mode you can tide him over with some distraction. He’s unfortunately got my hair and it just does not do well grown out, so I keep it trimmed pretty short.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
The child’s energy is literally running back and forth across the apartment and yelling AAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Also we’re making an apple pie and it’s fun explaining the process of making ingredients become another thing.

Anyway, I am expecting him to crash HARD within the next two hours.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

CherryCola posted:

The child’s energy is literally running back and forth across the apartment and yelling AAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I love it when they get a good bit of zoomies. It's really fun to just sit and watch.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Wife cut our daughter's hair just after 2 because too much crap was getting caught in it and brushing it out was becoming a painful chore

I found out a lot of cultures shave their kid's head shortly after birth, especially those whose kids are born with a full head of hair. My guess is that it helps clean up any birth goop that doesn't wash out easy, probably helps minimize cradle cap, etc; but the myth is that without getting your head shaved your hair will be thin and sparse, or something

I thought the birth goop was good for the kid.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Also we’re making an apple pie and it’s fun explaining the process of making ingredients become another thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHCO8f2TWs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Crescent Wrench posted:

We just cut our son's hair for the first time a couple of weeks ago, around 15 months. Had to freshen him up for starting daycare. No clue when he'll sit still for a stranger to cut his hair though.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter’s first hair cut (me cutting off half an inch to even it out) was when she was 3. My son is 2y 2m and hasn’t had a hair cut yet, he’s got these little baby curls that I know will never come back once I cut them, so he’s got a hockey style for the meanwhile. I’ve started pulling the top into a ponytail and it’s so cute. He’s going to have long hair because he looks so sweet with this shaggy thing, it’s going to be that much sweeter when it’s long.

I cut my daughter’s hair every 4-6 months. After a bath when her hair is wet I comb it really well, cut a straight line across her back, then comb sections and hold them perpendicular to the floor to do the tiniest bit of layering. Only takes a couple minutes and she calls it a spa, so a win all around.

Edit: speaking hair cuts, daycare will sometimes braid my daughter’s hair or do fancy pony tails. A couple days ago they did like a lattice thing with literally THIRTY of the tiny plastic hair binders. She absolutely loved it, but that night I gave up trying to take them out after the fourth one, and just cut the rest. I accidentally got some hair in one and now she’s got a little strand of really short hair.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 23, 2023

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I went to a kids birthday party with my very mobile 1 year old. There were a lot of kids there.

It made me realize just how clueless I am when dealing with other people's kids that are of different ages. I don't know what is expected, what is appropriate. If my kid touches a random person from behind, or grabs their leg for support while standing or walking. Grabs a toy another kid is playing with. I'm stumped with what do I do/communicate to my own kid (who doesn't even talk), or to the other kid (who may or may not talk to some extent), or to other parents.

My little guy seems pretty social and not at all shy. And I feel this is gonna be a challenge for me since I myself am very shy/introverted. I don't want him to pickup on my discomfort. I want to support his curiosity of others.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

C-Euro posted:

Am I a bad parent if, upon smelling a dirty diaper at home, I give my toddler a few minutes with it just to make sure everything's cleared out?

I missed whatever prompted this discussion thread, but Vampire Survivors got me through a lot of 4 AM vigils when we first had our son. Complex enough to keep me awake, basic enough to play with one hand and be put down at a moment's notice if he woke up. Plus this was while it was still in beta, so if we give him a younger sibling in a couple of years I can make a new file and finally try the full release :haw:

I give my 6 mo old daughter a minute or two to clear things out, haven't had a problem yet.

My Steam Deck + Vampire Survivors and Stardew Valley have been my goto for feedings and late nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My 2.5 year old is having some potty training regression after a routine change and a UTI. Antibiotics knocked out the infection but it’s been a week since the last #2. All she wants to do is lay around to take pressure off and isn’t eating well because she feels full.

We’ve been pretty indulgent because it sucks seeing her miserable, but tomorrow we’re doing a normal routine to see if moving around and going places helps reset the system. A heat index in the 105s is making it tricky to get outside and run around.

Genetics are at play - my in laws both got the 1000 yard stare of repressed memories flooding back when we mentioned the issue.