Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DMorbid posted:

Skyrim is just as busted on the PS3. As I understand it, your save files get more and more bloated as you play, until the game becomes practically (or literally) unplayable.

For a while the PS3 version wasn't going to get the DLC. The PS3 had 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of VRAM while the 360 had unified memory that devs could allot as they pleased, and that was the main difference between stuff like Skyrim and New Vegas on the two when it came to "oh gently caress we're out of memory" situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Out of context patch note:

quote:

fixed the bug where placing the carousel cars would occasionally not present the brain to you

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

CJacobs posted:

5 minutes into the game you meet a dog and to this day its eyes still orbit gracefully nearby leaving only empty sockets. And that's the only bug with the dog. Gamebryo engine games weren't meant to run, they were meant to stagger.
That was the only noticeable bug I encountered in the PC version of New Vegas at launch. Then they released a patch a few days later, which did not fix the dog's eyes but somehow made the enemies unkillable until the next patch dropped.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Owl Inspector posted:

Out of context patch note:

good call

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Carthag Tuek posted:

savebloat is classic

they dont get to playtest 100+ hrs a lot

Wasn't save bloat catastrophic for fallout 3 because the game remembered every corpse in the game, and every corpse's inventory, forever, eventually leading to your save to just die because the game couldn't keep running.

There was a bug that solved this problem which was that one specific type of laser beam death would dissolve a corpse and so people who played with either laser or plasma weapons wouldn't run into this problem near as much.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't save bloat catastrophic for fallout 3 because the game remembered every corpse in the game, and every corpse's inventory, forever, eventually leading to your save to just die because the game couldn't keep running.

There was a bug that solved this problem which was that one specific type of laser beam death would dissolve a corpse and so people who played with either laser or plasma weapons wouldn't run into this problem near as much.

Laser and plasma can turn a foe into an ash/goo pile, but the pile still counts as a corpse, you can loot it.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
however the goo puddle/ashes are a static model and do not have any physics, so that might matter

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is explaining why I never had nearly as many problems with these games, I generally avoid combat and play more stealthy in pretty much any game where you can.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A large portion of save bloat was keeping track that the wooden spoon or cheese wheel you picked up is not at its original spot and is instead in your inventory/spot A. They started combatting this in Fallout 4 by having less doodads absolutely while also every nearly every doodad is consumable by crafting or repairing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can speak from firsthand experience about the PS3 version of Skyrim. About 10 or so hours in it started getting really bad where the game would frequently stutter but the worst thing were the loading times which kept increasing the longer you played. It got to a point where leaving a city into the open world could take up to three minutes and like two and a half if you turned autosaving off. It was a complete mess.

Somehow I platinumed it though. I haven't spent money on a Bethesda game since.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've played way too much Morrowind, Skyrim and Fallout but lmao at the thought of playing them on a console

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I platinumed new vegas on ps3. :shepicide:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I got codes for both Skyrim "special" edition or whatever it was called and Skyrim VR for PS4 and to be fair, both of those worked fine in the sense that they both had bugs out the rear end and quests that were unfinishable because of bugs but those you get playing the game vanilla on PC anyway, nothing beyond that like insane loading times or anything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

zedprime posted:

A large portion of save bloat was keeping track that the wooden spoon or cheese wheel you picked up is not at its original spot and is instead in your inventory/spot A. They started combatting this in Fallout 4 by having less doodads absolutely while also every nearly every doodad is consumable by crafting or repairing.

I can't remember if FO3/NV does this too but Fallout 4 will also have areas reset after they go unvisited for a certain amount of in-game time, so all those buildings you go into exactly once for a quest don't end up clogging up your save data forever with junk like "you nudged this aluminum tray 2 inches to the right so I'd better remember that"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's been about half a decade but y'all gave me the itch to play some skyrim again so I installed it, downloaded like 5 necessary mods (skyUI, the unoffical patch thingy, alternate start so I can skip the overly long intro, etc), booted it up, played for literally 5 minutes and got stuck in a rock lol

luckily I could easily noclip my way out

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

DMorbid posted:

Skyrim is just as busted on the PS3. As I understand it, your save files get more and more bloated as you play, until the game becomes practically (or literally) unplayable.

The same apparently happened in the original Xbox port of Morrowind.

The final patch for Skyrim on PS3 actually fixed that. It also broke lip syncing. :psyduck:

Source: I played a lot of Skyrim on PS3.

Stare-Out posted:

I can speak from firsthand experience about the PS3 version of Skyrim. About 10 or so hours in it started getting really bad where the game would frequently stutter but the worst thing were the loading times which kept increasing the longer you played. It got to a point where leaving a city into the open world could take up to three minutes and like two and a half if you turned autosaving off. It was a complete mess.

Somehow I platinumed it though. I haven't spent money on a Bethesda game since.

The issue was how it ran scripts in the background, as you went to more areas, it had more and more to update during each load screen.

The Skyrim ps3 platinum trophy is the only one I have, because it takes exactly 0 skill, just patience and checking off requirements.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Jul 22, 2023

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Goodness, I feel a bit put down here. I wasn't gloating about the plat, just using it to show that I played that broken mess of a game enough to get it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just realised there's so much jank in skyrim that aren't even glitches and don't really impact gameplay so I just don't notice them anymore. Like earlier I killed some bandits and they ragdoll to the ground after I burned them to death which isn't pretty but fine. But then I go up a mountain and kill a snow fox and instead of ragdolling to the floor it keeps its momentum from running away from me and just stiffly yeets itself forward in all of its taxidermied glory and making a couple of bounces before tumbling down a cliff

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Taeke posted:

I just realised there's so much jank in skyrim that aren't even glitches and don't really impact gameplay so I just don't notice them anymore. Like earlier I killed some bandits and they ragdoll to the ground after I burned them to death which isn't pretty but fine. But then I go up a mountain and kill a snow fox and instead of ragdolling to the floor it keeps its momentum from running away from me and just stiffly yeets itself forward in all of its taxidermied glory and making a couple of bounces before tumbling down a cliff
Yeah, corpses sliding down hills and off cliffs is pretty common, and while the Ice Form shout is very useful, if you use it where the ground isn't perfectly level the physics engine freaks out.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Goodness, I feel a bit put down here. I wasn't gloating about the plat, just using it to show that I played that broken mess of a game enough to get it.

I wasn't trying to put you down, sorry! Just commiserating! I probably put 400 hours into Skyrim on ps3.

Sadly, Skyrim is actually the best performing Bethesda game on ps3. Fallout 3 has many of the same problems New Vegas has, and oblivion actually has a save-killing "abomb" glitch, as well as major quests being completely broken.

I think that Sony may have actually put their foot down behind the scenes: the Skyrim DLCs were actually delayed on ps3 for almost a year because Bethesda had to get Skyrims performance issues fixed before Sony would certify them for release.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

It's been about half a decade but y'all gave me the itch to play some skyrim again so I installed it, downloaded like 5 necessary mods (skyUI, the unoffical patch thingy, alternate start so I can skip the overly long intro, etc), booted it up, played for literally 5 minutes and got stuck in a rock lol

luckily I could easily noclip my way out

this right here is exactly why i would never play any of the bethesda games on console :v:

even putting aside the mods, i just can't imagine playing through them without being able to tcl or tgm when poo poo bugs out

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

this right here is exactly why i would never play any of the bethesda games on console :v:

even putting aside the mods, i just can't imagine playing through them without being able to tcl or tgm when poo poo bugs out

My first action in any bethesda game is player.modav carryweight 9000

Gotta love being able to be a crazy packrat, couldn't do it without console access. And then mods, yeah. Can't live without them.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

The wildest thing is that I first played Oblivion on consoles and I spent more hours on that than I think any bethesda game since, and I did almost all of the content that game and its DLC had to offer, and while I did run into a ton of bugs and glitches: I didn't run into any game breaking ones.

Then I got it for PC because I finally had a computer good enough and it was basically just forever unplayable.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I used to keep all the research chemicals in the elevator, but after a couple slipped through the walls I moved them to the lobby on floor 3

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I definitely had the savebloat with Oblivion on PC. Exhausted all the content with a single character before I wanted to finish with the Shivering Isles expansion. About 2/3s in it would just crash after a half an hour of play. Ended up reloading an earlier save several times, to explore areas I hadn't been to and do quests there. Then just looked up someone playing the final quests of the expansion on Youtube.

Didn't have that problem with Fallout 3 or New Vegas, even though I also had 100+ hour single character playthroughs with those. And yet I didn't have an unofficial patch mod with those games (just something related to saves with NV). Maybe the post-apocalyptic wasteland had less bits and bobs spread about to mess things up? I wasn't somebody just deleting people with plasma weaponry.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Jul 23, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had a funny thing happen in New Vegas - not exactly a bug, just emergent behaviour. When you first pick up a star bottlecap, the game spawns an NPC named Malcolm Holmes who then runs towards you to explain the Legend Of The Star. No matter where you are on the map, he runs towards you like a player-seeking missile. Unfortunately, in this playthrough, Malcolm's path took him through Quarry Junction, where the deadliest creatures in the game hang out. The Alpha Male Deathclaw chased him into the town of Sloan and proceeded to kill everyone there.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mierenneuker posted:

I definitely had the savebloat with Oblivion on PC. Exhausted all the content with a single character before I wanted to finish with the Shivering Isles expansion. About 2/3s in it would just crash after a half an hour of play. Ended up reloading an earlier save several times, to explore areas I hadn't been to and do quests there. Then just looked up someone playing the final quests of the expansion on Youtube.

SI had a bug where it would create an item reference, like, every few frames. It would actually exhaust the range of available IDs to the point where the next drop generated would crash the game.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Re: savebloat
That's actually the reason why Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom have the Blood Moon mechanic, to combat save bloat.
Like the various bethesda games out there, the game keeps track of *every* object you have poked. So it triggers a Blood Moon on a regular interval to wipe everything unimportant from the save file, which also removes any worry of a player running out of various resources.
If your actions cause the save file to get too big, you can actually trigger a panic blood moon off schedule to avoid the game crashing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can even make enough particle effects that the game freaks out and does an emergency Blood moon

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

Oh, and Bethesda didn't give Obsidian any documentation or training on the engine. They had to figure it out on their own, on the fly.

FONV was produced under a contract stipulating that Obsidian only got royalties for it if it got a score of at least 85% on Metacritic, which may have produced some perverse incentives on Bethesda's part.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BadMedic posted:

Re: savebloat
That's actually the reason why Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom have the Blood Moon mechanic, to combat save bloat.
Like the various bethesda games out there, the game keeps track of *every* object you have poked. So it triggers a Blood Moon on a regular interval to wipe everything unimportant from the save file, which also removes any worry of a player running out of various resources.
If your actions cause the save file to get too big, you can actually trigger a panic blood moon off schedule to avoid the game crashing.

I'm kinda surprised I never saw a surprise Blood Moon in all the time I put into TotK, with all the new stuff they added, particularly the one where pretty much all interactable objects now also have their locations recorded continuously in case you want to send them back to retrace their path. I saw it happen occasionally in BotW, even after moving from Wii U to the Switch version.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
`The first and last Bethesda game I played on a console was Fallout 3 on the 360. I'm sure I ran into plenty of bugs, but the one I remember best is when I got locked inside one of the houses in Arefu (the bridge town where the vampire quest starts). The crazy lady didn't have any dialogue about being locked in, and I tried pickpocketing her for a key, but there wasn't one. I killed her to see if that helped, but it did not. I had to reload an earlier save after finding no solution. On PC, I could have opened the console, clicked on the door, typed "unlock," and it would have just been a minor annoyance.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I'm trying to remember the quest in oblivion, basically you had to go to a cave, get the maguffins, return. Standard fetch quest stuff.

However, in the most Bethesda move possible they were actual physics objects in a cave with enemies and plant textures. So if you hit them while fighting or used explosive magic or if the enemies ran into them then you were basically pixel hunting.

Also if an enemy died on one you may never see it, or it could just yeet itself out of bounds.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

You guys make it sound like Bethesda sucks rear end?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LookieLoo posted:

You guys make it sound like Bethesda sucks rear end?

Bethesda games are great, as long as you're all in on getting a game where the physics engine might explode at any given time and save a lot

Part of why Outer Worlds sucked so bad was they replicated all the boring parts of Bethesda games but none of the actually fun or good parts

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RBA Starblade posted:

Bethesda games are great, as long as you're all in on getting a game where the physics engine might explode at any given time and save a lot

Part of why Outer Worlds sucked so bad was they replicated all the boring parts of Bethesda games but none of the actually fun or good parts

You make it sound like its the jank thats good.
Outer worlds is just a mess of badly communicated and implemented mechanics coupled with a mediocre story with boring characters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You make it sound like its the jank thats good.
Outer worlds is just a mess of badly communicated and implemented mechanics coupled with a mediocre story with boring characters.

There's good jank and bad jank and Outer Worlds didn't have the good jank, or good anything else, but they did their best to replicate the bad or uninteresting parts, and they certainly succeeded there.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Outer World's has been in the back of my mind for a while now but I think I'll just forget it. Who actually made it? The same team as NV?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Outer worlds got a lot of crap for being just ok when people expected the second coming of new vegas or something. Its a fine game but yes you miss nothing by not playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It was a good game but I feel like they made it too short and too closed world. But, it's a new IP and I imagine if it was a slog I wouldn't have finished it