Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

This is also how I normally sit in front of my computer like a normal human

same but literally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
tits up for NEET

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Jfc this author.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

This is also how I normally sit in front of my computer like a normal human

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

tits up for NEET

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

being a gamer makes you evil, this is known

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

lol these guys do playtest Smash clones all day, they’re probably pretty good

edit: oh poo poo I forgot NEET dreamed of being a pro gamer before haha

Victis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 22, 2023

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Victis posted:

lol these guys do playtest Smash clones all day, they’re probably pretty good

edit: oh poo poo I forgot NEET dreamed of being a pro gamer before haha

Pretty good at throwing one item, then restarting and throwing it at every other character maybe.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

NEET gonna destroy his chances of having two friends and a full time job to pursue pro gaming, again.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

projecthalaxy posted:

Pretty good at throwing one item, then restarting and throwing it at every other character maybe.

I've heard play testers tend to be really good at the games they test by the time they've put however many hundreds of hours into them, but I still wouldn't expect them to beat an actual pro player.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Cat Hatter posted:

I've heard play testers tend to be really good at the games they test by the time they've put however many hundreds of hours into them, but I still wouldn't expect them to beat an actual pro player.

In HS my friends and I played a ton of melee and with an eye for getting better at it, we read guides, watched tournies, looked at frame data etc and had advanced techniques down p solidly. We weren't strangers to high level scenes either, most of us were involved in competitive mtg and had some lower level pro tour experience and such, could make money at local tournaments.

We were all at level where you could absolutely decimate ordinary people at the game (everyone thinks they're good at melee, bumped into plenty in college who would swear up and down their fox was unbeatable or whatever). But even that was like miles away from an actual competitive scene, fighting games are like starcraft or such in unapproachable skill ceilings unless you're just living and breathing it in a competitive environment. It doesn't really matter how many hours you're putting in yourself or with a tight friend group, you're only gonna get "pro" or comparable level if you're actually in the scene itself. I assume it's a bit different now with the accessibility of well done online play is now but there's simply no shot touru would be able to do anything of note or worthwhile in this context.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, I remember a guy talking about how he used to go to the local arcade and beat everyone at Mortal Kombat with one hand in his pocket. Wouldn't say anything about it either, just wait for his opponent to notice mid match that he was only using one hand and then psych themselves out. Even then I would still expect someone like that to get dumpstered by a low level pro player. It's sometimes like they aren't even playing the same game.

The only way our NEET would win is if he knows a weird exploit that hadn't been publicized yet or if he's in the weird position where he's too poo poo to play "properly" against but unconventionally skilled enough to get lucky.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

"could either of us be an unknown talent?"
"no."

and the gaming character is never seen again

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I mean he may do well for story purposes obviously, and it's not like he couldn't show something that would make the pro think he had future potential even if it was one sided. I was really just speaking to the idea he'd be "good" from his playtesting hours which is just not how these sorts of games work.

I feel like the neet comic is surprisingly realistic with a lot of things though so it'd be quite on point for him to roll up thinking he's got a chance (for the same reason people itt do) only to learn how large the gap was and the story just moves on with him more confident in his decision to go with this career rather than a pipe dream.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PoundSand posted:

I mean he may do well for story purposes obviously, and it's not like he couldn't show something that would make the pro think he had future potential even if it was one sided. I was really just speaking to the idea he'd be "good" from his playtesting hours which is just not how these sorts of games work.

I feel like the neet comic is surprisingly realistic with a lot of things though so it'd be quite on point for him to roll up thinking he's got a chance (for the same reason people itt do) only to learn how large the gap was and the story just moves on with him more confident in his decision to go with this career rather than a pipe dream.

He'd be good, but pro players are better than that. I just didn't want his testing experience written off as completely worthless even if it's only going to get him to the point where he can beat everyone at the arcade* except the pro player.

*At one specific game

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I worked game QA for over a decade, and yeah most testers will wind up being at the very least decent from an average everyday player perspective. Most testers will have quadruple-digit hours in the game they're testing, at that point you can't really help but have internalized all the muscle memory and information for the game - character movesets, weapon properties, etc. Unfortunately that's about as far as it goes, as there's no reason to try to improve as a tester. Most games will have debug options so you're invincible, have infinite ammo, can instantly max character levels, etc. There's just no reason to actually try to be skilled when testing, so you won't improve to a competitive level.

Funnily enough, some bugs actually slip through due to these sort of things. I remember a few years back a JRPG (I think a SMT game?) had some lines during the final boss untranslated in the initial release. Presumably this was because testers just used powerful pre-made characters when fighting the boss, as it's not feasible to naturally progress to the end of an 80+ rpg just to test something at the final boss.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

She was right, that kid did have good senses

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

complete mastery of the depiction of gamers on display

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
H
e
h
e
h
e
h
e

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Sorry I've been missing so many days recently. I've been busy and this page is text and art-edit heavy... :(

Boring Translation Talk:

The Japanese name of this (fake) website is がぞがぞう, Gazo Gazou.

画像, gazou, means "portrait, image". If you look at that second kanji character, you can see the character for elephant in there, 象, zou (it even kinda looks like an elephant, doesn't it?).

I would have liked to name the website something like "Picky Pics", but more importantly I had to justify that elephant mascot so it didn't come across like some random element.

He searched for "handsome guys", that's gay.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
detective: mr gorou can you confirm you made an internet search for "handsome guys" shortly after the murder of your siblings

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

R.L. Stine posted:

detective: mr gorou can you confirm you made an internet search for "handsome guys" shortly after the murder of your siblings

Hey now, that's 1 murder and 1 negligent homicide, thank you very much

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

I think "King Kong Nishino disappeared" must be an in-joke or something. NEET author has actually used it before.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I think "King Kong Nishino disappeared" must be an in-joke or something. NEET author has actually used it before.

"Oh, I loved your work in 'The Marine 4'. How do you find the time to make movies while playing an RPG for 24 hours a day?"

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Does gazobbs have user number codes like other image boards? Are they going to figure out that he committed murders?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Apparently there was a comedy act called King Kong and one of the members, Akihiro Nishino, left?

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

hyphz posted:

Apparently there was a comedy act called King Kong and one of the members, Akihiro Nishino, left?

NEET author really loves putting references to King Kong Nishino as cut-off responses/posts/replies etc.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Hina actually calls him a タコ, tako, an octopus. I've never seen it used like an insult before, like calling someone a dog or a pig. Seems a little unfair to all our octopi friends.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

uh oh

is that neet's izawa character?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Space Kablooey posted:

uh oh

is that neet's izawa character?

lol sick, return of NEET Prime

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

R.L. Stine posted:

perfect time for RealNEET to log in and throw this arc into disarray

i stand by this post considering only like 5 minutes have passed in the story i'm pretty sure

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
We'll switch back to neet and never see any of those three again

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

:pray:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
:neckbeard: or :ohdear: but definitely probably one of those

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Wait, what's "fusaiki"?

Hina actually calls him a タコ, tako, an octopus. I've never seen it used like an insult before, like calling someone a dog or a pig. Seems a little unfair to all our octopi friends.

I've definitely heard it used before, especially 「このタコ!」, sometimes as「タコッ」or「タコー」. If you search for that, there's a bunch of manga panels using it. It shows up in Jojo and One Piece etc. I think it's more of a light insult, like "You dummy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Shadow0 posted:

Wait, what's "fusaiki"?

The actor whose picture Gorou stole. She's imitating his smile.