Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm getting a 1.5 hp motor for my table saw, just a garden variety synchronous AC motor. I can wire it for 115v or 230v, since I have an available & live dryer outlet in my garage. Normally I wouldn't even consider 230, but at 115, the max current draw for this motor is 13.2A, which is close to the limit for the outlet (I think? Breakers are either 15A or 20A, and poorly labeled of course.)

Which would you pick? I'd prefer to wire it for 115, since I already have all the parts and cables to do so, but if I'm running a cut in thick hardwood that might redline the motor, I don't want to worry about the wiring job on the outlets or extension cable (if I end up using one).

As mentioned above you should run it on 230. Less current means less voltage drop and that leads to better performance.

How is the motor being controlled? My saw has an overload on the output of the starting contactor to protect the motor all inside the box with the start stop buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Make sure it's the right RPM too unless you're also fiddling with the pulleys.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

220. You’ll trip that breaker all the time on 110 if the circuit is on a 15A breaker, and that saw should really be on a 20A breaker minimum if you are running it on 110. If you have outlets on two different circuits in your garage or if the existing 110 circuits are 20A, you could do it 110.

If you do want to do it on 220, double check with the wiring thread. Running such a small load on such a larger breaker isn’t ideal IIRC, and a problem may not necessarily trip the larger breaker. I think in a perfect world you’d us the existing wiring run to your dryer plug to add a 220 subpanel which would have correctly sized breakers for the dryer and the table saw. But I am not an electrician, so definitely ask someone who actually knows.

220 is always the way to go. It's usually 2 15's or 20's ganged in the panel like your AC, dryer, heater, oven, etc. so that each leg provides 120v. As my garage was a dedicated shop by the guy we bought the house from, the panel was right there and had enough empty slots to slap one in.

YMMV, do not try this at home without experienced electrician, etc.

edit- okay, guy already has a dryer outlet. Solved that.

deimos posted:

Make sure it's the right RPM too unless you're also fiddling with the pulleys.

Does 4250 sound right? That's off the top of my head. 2nd edit- it's 3750, I'd bet on it.

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 19, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Does 4250 sound right? That's off the top of my head. 2nd edit- it's 3750, I'd bet on it.

Depends on the pulleys but usually 3450 IIRC. (or half that at 1725)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mr. Mambold posted:

220 is always the way to go.

Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

3750 is not a 60 Hz motor speed. A 2 pole motor is 3450, a 4 pole is 1750, 6 is 1175, 8 is 875 (window AC units) and 12 is 600 (washing machines).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Trabant posted:

Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.
I appreciate this post.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

well, you bastards sucked me in and I got that pole saw deal. Already have dipped my toe into the DTO waters before, but that was just too convenient to pass up.

Thanks for the tips on storage/bar cover :haw:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Also pick up one of their hot glue guns, it is super handy having a cordless one around. I have the original one that takes 1/2" sticks, they have one that takes small sticks that looks lighter duty.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

deimos posted:

Depends on the pulleys but usually 3450 IIRC. (or half that at 1725)

You're right. (I could have looked that up) 1725 rings true.

Motronic posted:

3750 is not a 60 Hz motor speed. A 2 pole motor is 3450, a 4 pole is 1750, 6 is 1175, 8 is 875 (window AC units) and 12 is 600 (washing machines).

TIL, hot drat. :thumbsup:

stealie72 posted:

I appreciate this post.

Same. Image of ernest Michael Keaton face.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Dr. Habibi posted:

Thanks for the tips on storage/bar cover :haw:
It was the first thing I thought of once I received it: I no longer have to worry about oil; I want this thing in a bag and oh my god the blade cover that comes with it is crap. When I'm done using it I want to be able to break it down, slap the blade cover on, toss it all into the bag, and then toss the bag into a closet or some other area.

Ryobi should include a bag and better blade cover by default imo, but they're a budget tool brand so that's forgiven. Kind of... except where the HART brand has some of their chainsaws include these neat chonky chainsaw cases:

Which is a brand even more budget than Ryobi. So maybe not forgiven.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Chainsaws are just a weird shape. Putting them in a case means the case is always oddly shaped and/large to fit the body, handle, and front guard. I don't know whats worse, the boxy variety meaning you can still stack things on top of it because its a regular and flat shape, or the molded ones that are technically smaller but so much more awkward to pack and haul. Most times I just put the blade cover on my saw and call it a day. I have a plastic ammo can with files, chain, tools, wedges, spark plugs etc and a small gas can.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Seems like a guitar case would be ideal for this. Plenty of space for an extra chain, bar oil, and a clever one could probably fit chaps.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DTO is doing 30% off and free shipping for a lotta items in case anybody missed it

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Sad day for team orange....

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Motronic posted:

Oh no, this is now my gateway drug into the Ryobi system. I did not want to add another battery to the lineup, but welp, here we go.

Trip report:

Good addition to this setup. Works just fine. I should have ordered a second battery (and put diesel in the tractor because I only realized it was almost empty when I started working). The little saw is perfect for "limbing" branches so they fit in my pathetically small chipper.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Trip report:

Good addition to this setup. Works just fine. I should have ordered a second battery (and put diesel in the tractor because I only realized it was almost empty when I started working). The little saw is perfect for "limbing" branches so they fit in my pathetically small chipper.

You think that's small? Let me introduce you to the one I have

I have 240v in my garage now, I should upgrade to a better one

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

Trip report:

I'd never even thought of getting a chipper for the back of a tractor but that would be awesome. Worst part of clearing brush or trimming trees hauling all the drat branches off. What kind/model is it and do you find it works sufficiently well?

E: also I bet it's a great way to get vaporized poison ivy in all sorts of interesting places.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 22, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'd never even thought of getting a chipper for the back of a tractor but that would be awesome. Worst part of clearing brush or trimming trees hauling all the drat branches off. What kind/model is it and do you find it works sufficiently well?

E: also I bet it's a great way to get vaporized poison ivy in all sorts of interesting places.

The one I have is a "Champion CX350". Pretty sure this exact thing is sold with many different sets of stickers on it.

It's a square 3"x3" opening at the bottom of the chute. Which does not auto feed, it's just gravity. So you need to learn how to use it.....it will drive you nuts at first. You always keep a "poking stick" around, which is sacrificial for getting twigs and leaves to feed.

I like it fine I guess. I mostly bought it because I was scrolling marketplace a few years back and some guy on long island was selling it for $600 and it was basically brand new. His brother bought it to maintain the parent's property, etc, etc and nobody actually wanted to do the work. So I'm like "Long Island? That's not too far away!" and it's not, but it's long so I drove another hour up to the second to last exit to get this thing after dragging a 10 foot long dump trailer behind a cayenne through the bronx.

And yeah, the only thing worst than putting poison ivy through a chipper is to burn it and stand in the smoke.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Motronic posted:

And yeah, the only thing worst than putting poison ivy through a chipper is to burn it and stand in the smoke.

My mom learned a lesson a year or two ago. She weed wacked around their mailbox/driveway in 3/4 length pants. She wasn't aware that there was anything poisonous but must have wacked some poison ivy because her legs went loving bananas with a rash, got super infected and we're pretty painful for a few months.

Never weed wack with bare skin showing on your lower half.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, that is absolutely the 3rd worst way to deal with poison ivy. I do it at least once a year because I'm a dumbass who doesn't learn form things that aren't sufficiently painful, and that is not....to me at least. I don't react too badly to it in general.

( I mean, I guess it's the same as sending it through the chipper if you're standing in front of the chute....but I'm not so the weed whacker is the way to embed it directly into my shins)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Verman posted:

excuse me I will dress however I please on MY PROPERTY if you don’t want to see me do chores nude from the waist down THEN DON’T LOOK INTO MY YARD OKAY

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Any tips on buying a ladder and then using it safely?

My home is technically 2-story but with a basement walk-out I'm 3 stories at the back.

My goal is primarily to clean gutters, and repair siding. Second would be being able to inspect the roof, but baby steps here. So I'm thinking a 24' or 28' extension.

My roof is 12/12 so that last bit may not be a good idea anyways.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
24' ladder?

gently caress. I'm all for DIY any time you can but going up that high solo would scare the poo poo out of me.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's basically a "2 man ladder" in the fire service.

I don't know what to suggest other than 'hire it out". Or join you local volunteer FD and get free training on ladders.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I have basically the exact same situation and bought a 28'' extension ladder I barely use because I refuse to without at my wife manning the bottom. Turns out, I hate big ladders and 2+ story roofs.

Totally doable though I guess, had windows installed on that side of the house last year, and the roofer-turned-window-installer who installed them seemingly had no issues carrying windows up and down the ladder, on uneven ground even. Not a recommendation.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How often do you need to go up there? You can rent various types of lifts...

I've got a folding ladder to get on my 1 story house and it's pretty terrifying.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Elem7 posted:

I have basically the exact same situation and bought a 28'' extension ladder I barely use because I refuse to without at my wife manning the bottom. Turns out, I hate big ladders and 2+ story roofs.

Totally doable though I guess, had windows installed on that side of the house last year, and the roofer-turned-window-installer who installed them seemingly had no issues carrying windows up and down the ladder, on uneven ground even. Not a recommendation.

Oh yeah I never intended to go up that high without my wife manning the helm. Actually she's a tree climber and will probably want to do the climbing anyways. Also not getting gutter debris dropped on your face seems like a plus.

So far I've been hiring this type of thing out but my gutters need to be cleaned a lot, it doesn't make sense to not learn to do it ourselves.

Unfortunately I do not meet the vision requirements to be a volunteer firefighter.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Consider a pressure washer with extensions and angled heads meant for gutter cleaning first.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Elem7 posted:

I have basically the exact same situation and bought a 28'' extension ladder I barely use because I refuse to without at my wife manning the bottom.

drat you live at Stone Henge?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Elem7 posted:

Consider a pressure washer with extensions and angled heads meant for gutter cleaning first.

Do they make extensions long enough for second story house?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure, actually, single story ones I do on a ladder and then use the extension to get my higher ones. My third story side doesn't actually have any, so I don't pull out my big extension for gutters.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 22, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The top of my roof is a mystery to me and forever will be. This is the thing i will unflinchingly spend money on

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
There are attachments to give the ladders more stability but even with those there are parts of my roof I personally will only visit in a boom lift.

Verman posted:

My mom learned a lesson a year or two ago. She weed wacked around their mailbox/driveway in 3/4 length pants. She wasn't aware that there was anything poisonous but must have wacked some poison ivy because her legs went loving bananas with a rash, got super infected and we're pretty painful for a few months.

I wear boots, pants, long sleeves and still get it. This is why I only trim three times a year and take a shower the second I'm done. One day I'll finally kill it all off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

Do they make extensions long enough for second story house?

Yes. I have one and used it once. It's entirely too heavy to be practical/useful at full extension. That's my excuse to buy a boom lift.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The hosed up thing with poison ivy is that you can get it on delay or even take a few exposures before your body starts reacting to it. Wide berth.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CommonShore posted:

The hosed up thing with poison ivy is that you can get it on delay or even take a few exposures before your body starts reacting to it. Wide berth.

Yeah it’s a sensitizer-the more you are exposed the worse your reaction usually gets. Also as that reaction worsens over time, you can break out in areas that weren’t even exposed to the poison ivy. I weirdly had poison ivy on my forearms and the back of my knees on time after mowing in long pants and a short sleeve shirt.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Whats the typical delivery/pick up fee for a 60ft 4x4 boom lift? It would be way nicer than the tow behind for getting around a whole house.

For poison ivy first thing is wash up with mildly warm water and soap, wash at least twice. Do not use the same towel twice, wash your sheets every day, use the spray stuff or calamine lotion constantly. I've been trying to kill that stuff off for years but its resilient.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpeedFreek posted:

Whats the typical delivery/pick up fee for a 60ft 4x4 boom lift? It would be way nicer than the tow behind for getting around a whole house.

You're looking at $300 or so depending on distance for delivery/pickup and easily $750-$1k per day for the rental. All of that stuff has gotten exceptionally expensive, which is how I ended up buying a miniex. Renting one for $600/day just didn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jenkl posted:

Any tips on buying a ladder and then using it safely?

My home is technically 2-story but with a basement walk-out I'm 3 stories at the back.

3 stories up? Your answer is to have a roofer install some hard points on your ridge and use a fall harness. If you fall you probably won't be having any more kids if you have external equipment but you will be alive and not in that terrible "I survive a 2-3 story fall" way.