Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Mederlock posted:

That set is more than perfectly fine for a beginner and will get you some good years of use before you sell and upgrade bits and pieces. For now, avoid using the Driver, the 3 Wood, the 60° wedge, and possibly the 3 Hybrid, to the point where you might be better off leaving them out of the bag for the next few months. They're challenging clubs to hit right and can punish you horribly on miss-hits. Drive with a comfy club like the 5 wood or the 5 hybrid or the 7 iron that you can reliably hit 150-200 yards relatively straight(you'll figure out what club suits you during your lessons and range time).

Your money is far, far better spent on lessons, cheap rounds of golf, and range time (roughly in that order but you need all three) if you want to improve at a good rate. New shiny clubs, balls, gimmicks, etc. Only give small percentile advantages that only make sense investing in once your lessons and practice start plateauing at a higher level. Most importantly, have fun! Stay hydrated, protect yourself from the sun and mosquitos/ticks, get some basic comfy golf gear, and don't let the bad shots rattle you.

This video condenses a lot of this guy's good points for beginner's, he's goofy as gently caress but the advice is legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-NvelOz3E

figure out if you can hit driver before leaving it out of your bag, and don't ACTUALLY leave it out of your bag, you should be practicing with it even if you can't keep it in play in a round, it's important (and fun)

definitely keep the 60 at home for a while though

wyoak fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

wyoak posted:

figure out if you can hit driver before leaving it out of your bag, and don't ACTUALLY leave it out of your bag, you should be practicing with it even if you can't keep it in play in a round, it's important (and fun)

definitely keep the 60 at home for a while though

Fair point, I do have some friends that were pretty bad at golf but could still nail decent drives. Definitely try it out at the range, aim for a specific target like a 200 yard sign and if your left/right dispersion around it is roughly fairway-width and You're getting solid 175 yrd+ distance with it, then for sure try it out on the course.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
Agreed on the 60 degree wedge. I usually only get mine out when I am in taller grass around the green to get under neath it or I am going full speed swing. At full speed swing, it's good for 85 yards and high pretty shots.

Any other situation? Hello pitching wedge and the good old bump and run.

Another good piece of advice I picked up here. Pick a wedge or high loft iron (8 or 9) and use that around the green exclusively for typical situations. Allows you to get a much better feel for the club.

Finally, expect to be not great for a while. Accept it and just work to get better.

As far as speed of play, you can shoot a 100 and play in 3 hours in a group of 2. I mostly play 9 holes, and if no one is in front of me, our typical foursome can play in 2 hours and includes an 8 year old. Ready golf and not over thinking club selection is key. In the kids case, not making him hit it all the way down a par 5 helps too.

Again, go out, have fun, chase a ball, be in the sun. It's all good.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Internet Savant posted:

Agreed on the 60 degree wedge. I usually only get mine out when I am in taller grass around the green to get under neath it or I am going full speed swing. At full speed swing, it's good for 85 yards and high pretty shots.

I know I’m entirely new to this thread cause I’m drunk and watching the open, but this is kinda weird advice. A 60 degree wedge is loving great for lots - depending on the bounce. If you’ve got one with lots of bounce, it is great out of crap and iffy off the short stuff, unless you practice enough to pinch it down and let the loft do the work. If there is no bounce, open the face and flop loving EVERYTHING.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I know I’m entirely new to this thread cause I’m drunk and watching the open, but this is kinda weird advice. A 60 degree wedge is loving great for lots - depending on the bounce. If you’ve got one with lots of bounce, it is great out of crap and iffy off the short stuff, unless you practice enough to pinch it down and let the loft do the work. If there is no bounce, open the face and flop loving EVERYTHING.

None of that is good for a beginning golfer, though. A sixty is a tough club to get good at and too many new golfers pick their highest lofted club for everything near the green.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

65 with an eagle to close out the round. Pretty impressive.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll take an 8 iron bump and run within 10' over a bladed 60° shot that skips across the green and into the rough on the other side any day. I only use my high lofted club when I have to shoot over a sand bunker or whatever

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
https://youtube.com/shorts/3dnUvkT22pQ?feature=share
My usual reference when my friends want to get a 60deg

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

loving 101 (51/50) today. This loving game. My driver, my most reliable club, has abandoned me in the wilderness. Playing a par 5 with water front and left. First tee shot skips over the water but doesn't quite make it to the bank. Tee up for a third shot, loving hit it off the heel right into the water. Carded a 10. Gotta get that club figured out.

Also, does this happen to anyone else: You're in a kind of awkward position and you decide to take the safe shot and lay up....and then completely gently caress up that safe shot (top it, shank it, slice it into the woods, etc.)?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

loving 101 (51/50) today. This loving game. My driver, my most reliable club, has abandoned me in the wilderness. Playing a par 5 with water front and left. First tee shot skips over the water but doesn't quite make it to the bank. Tee up for a third shot, loving hit it off the heel right into the water. Carded a 10. Gotta get that club figured out.

Also, does this happen to anyone else: You're in a kind of awkward position and you decide to take the safe shot and lay up....and then completely gently caress up that safe shot (top it, shank it, slice it into the woods, etc.)?

Never not

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Omne posted:

I do the related version. Par 5, great tee shot, reachable in two, I'll hit a beautiful, almost perfect approach, short side myself and try an impossible shot for third and leave myself in worse shape but somehow never having hit a bad shot.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
RIP me. Got the shanks.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I am not a remotely consistent enough hitter to effectively use the club. I usually score somewhere between 90-100. If I play enough, I can probably get it to consistently averaging 90ish.

My choice around the green is a simple bump and run which works for almost everything, vs. trying to hit a club that I blade the ball half the time, and another quarter of the time flub the shot. Flop shots for me are also iffy.

It's a tough club to play. But yes, it is obviously a handy to club to be good with.

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 22, 2023

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008

Omne posted:

then completely gently caress up that safe shot (top it, shank it, slice it into the woods, etc.)?

I have a solid chance to gently caress up every shot 🤷. I have an equally solid chance to string together enough good shots to par or birdie the hole. I am a golfer of contrasts. 😆

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Completely forgot how to swing a golf club on the back 9 today. Was hitting driver the best I ever have on the front, 280 carry with a 10 yard cut. I actually managed to shank my driver on 16, which was super impressive.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I wish I could get my brother to play more/take a lesson or two, because you can’t teach this and I couldn’t even hit those numbers. I was maxing out at like 168/169 ball speed and 280 carry.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

mattfl posted:

I wish I could get my brother to play more/take a lesson or two, because you can’t teach this and I couldn’t even hit those numbers. I was maxing out at like 168/169 ball speed and 280 carry.

Holy poo poo dude! He's launching piss missiles for real.

Would someone mind throwing me a bone? I can't figure out why the ball looks like it's right in the center of the clubface to me at address but I'm catching the hosel bigtime.

Am I really too close to it or am I way too flat? It's been a struggle as of late.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Farking Bastage posted:

Would someone mind throwing me a bone? I can't figure out why the ball looks like it's right in the center of the clubface to me at address but I'm catching the hosel bigtime.

Am I really too close to it or am I way too flat? It's been a struggle as of late.

Have you tried setting up as normal, and then take like a 1-1/2 inch shimmy backwards and tried hitting from there?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Have you tried setting up as normal, and then take like a 1-1/2 inch shimmy backwards and tried hitting from there?

I will soon as the thunderstorms calm down! Thanks :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

You have a very strong grip but not enough body rotation through impact. In order to not hit duck hooks, chances are you are raising the grip through impact, trying to keep the face from turning over, but this speculation without a video.

I would start with making your grip more neutral.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY5SOhRCeFk

Thanks man.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You’re coming out of your posture and losing your spine angle/side bend on the downswing (also called early extension or humping the goat). This causes loss of power and general inconsistency and is a common fault. A good drill on the range is to put a bag stand or alignment rod stuck into the ground directly behind you so that your buttcheeks are touching it at address and try to keep your butt touching it through impact.

Discussion on side bend and losing your posture: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cu6oq1-OaSJ/

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I spent some time Saturday with my PRGR radar hitting some different clubs. Lately I’ve felt like I am not carrying my shots quite as far as I should and based on the numbers (PRGR only measures club speed and ball speed) I think it’s an AoA issue where I’m too shallow with pretty much every club. My club head speeds and ball speeds were right in line or slightly above Trackman’s tour average numbers but my carry distances are not quite as good. I want to try hitting more down on the ball but in the past that has tended to lead to inconsistent contact and direction.

I played a tournament with a local teaching pro that gives lessons either on the course or in a Trackman bay and as soon as my knee is feeling better I plan on giving him a call. I’ve taken one lesson each from 3 different guys since I started playing and wasn’t impressed by any of them so hopefully he is a better fit.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Holy poo poo, I got Tuesday Masters tickets in the lottery this year.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

nerox posted:

Do you...do you have an available ticket to give to your bestest friend on the forums, Kirios aka me?

(Congrats dude I've resigned myself that I'll never get to go).

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

nerox posted:

I got Monday tickets, what's going on with the world?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

:negative:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Denied again.

Any Florida goons gets tickets I’ll drive you up there for free for a ticket lol

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Congrats to the ticket winners. Practice round days are the best days to go, save for watching someone win on Sunday.

Bring a camera and $1000 to drop in the store.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got Monday tickets. It’s the year of the goon!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Holy poo poo, congrats winners!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok so my first lesson is Saturday and I've not swung a golf club in 25 years aside from a putter. I've been working on my putts, but have held off on actually using any of my newly acquired gear before my first lesson. Am I overthinking this in waiting? I'm not wanting to develop bad habits etc.

Also, I have the following goals:

1. Find my longest club I can also reliably hit the fairway with.
2. Find the club I most reliably hit to 150yards & work on control/accuracy
3. Learn basic technique for pitching wedge use
4. The same for sand wedge / bunkers

I'm putting them in that order as that's the order I want help from an instructor. I know I need to put time in on short game but maybe I'm deluded to think I'll need less instruction there?

I have no idea how many lessons it would take me to achieve this. Again, not expecting to be good, just serviceable.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GEMorris posted:

Ok so my first lesson is Saturday and I've not swung a golf club in 25 years aside from a putter. I've been working on my putts, but have held off on actually using any of my newly acquired gear before my first lesson. Am I overthinking this in waiting? I'm not wanting to develop bad habits etc.

I'm putting them in that order as that's the order I want help from an instructor. I know I need to put time in on short game but maybe I'm deluded to think I'll need less instruction there?

I have no idea how many lessons it would take me to achieve this. Again, not expecting to be good, just serviceable.

What's the nature of the first lesson? Just an assessment? Did the coach give you anything to think about?

You're not going to lock in any bad habits hitting a medium (not large) bucket of balls. I say not large because that's a lot of swings in a compressed time for someone just coming back). gently caress around a little, you're not going to ruin anything, and you can get that thrill from a well struck ball that makes golf worth playing.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GEMorris posted:

So, I found this little routine which I did just to give me experience of using different clubs.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Oodles posted:

So, I found this little routine which I did just to give me experience of using different clubs.

I *really* like this. Thank you.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
drat, no Masters tickets this year. Can't complain too much, because due to circumstances beyond our control, we've been on Tuesday the last two years.

Initial won the lottery for Tuesday tickets for 2020, but COVID. Then because of the limited entry, our tickets were pushed to 2022. Thunderstorms rolled in around 11am on the Tuesday in 2022, and all the patrons were kicked off the course. Luckily we were all able to get Tuesday tickets again this year. It's going to be tough because it's just started to feel like a tradition after being there the last two years, but what can you do.

Funny story though, my wife was 8 month pregnant this year and at the end of the day, we had to walk all the back across the course from #16 to the parking lot on the north side at the end of the day. Her shoes were killing her swollen feet, so she ended up walking across Augusta in in bare feet. I'm so jealous of her because I'll never get the chance to feel that perfect turf between my toes.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Omne posted:

loving golf indeed. This past weekend I had nothing to do, so I decided to take a step back and play the $7 9-hole Par3 course down the street on Saturday morning. As everyone has experienced, I made a change in my swing that felt like a lightbulb going off and bewilderment that none of my lesson instructors have noticed it. My round was three pars and the rest +1 which is great for me and I felt awesome going home.

Then I came back on Sunday morning and lost like five balls and shot mostly double bogeys with a couple bogies sprinkled in and now I hate golf again lmao

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I was playing in a net tournament this afternoon, and I spotted a buddy 10 shots. We get to the 17th, a replica of ANGC par 3 16th, all square. I hit a hard hook that ran along the far bank but fell in the water. Horrible shot. He found the green, 30 feet away.

I drop where it went in, hit the pin on my pitch over the bunker, and my ball winds up a few feet outside my buddy's line, 35 feet away. My bogey putt bounces off the stick again but doesn't fall. [ed. I always pull the pin, but was frustrated and wasn't thinking.]

Buddy lags his birdie putt to outside of 3 ft, and from my angle (90 degrees away) it looked like his par putt was going to miss low. However, one of the other guys in the group swatted it back at him before the putt approached the cup as if it were a foregone conclusion that he made it, or that it didn't matter. The fourth guy in the group, standing in buddy's line, laughed and said it definitely had no chance of going in, but the putter said he thought it was good and was taking the concession.

So now I'm 2 down with one to play. The guy who swatted the putt away said he thought I was winning in a blowout and that it didn't matter. We both hit decent drives on the par 5 finisher. I got an iron to just off the front of the green, he lays up and then chunks his eagle pitch, then bangs his birdie chip off the pin, settling next to the hole for a par.

So now I've got to hole my chip for eagle to force a playoff, which I was unable to do. The birdie putt didn't matter, and I didn't make it either. In the parking lot, he said (as I handed the trophy over), that he'd "take a +3 instead of a +2" [net]. I told him it didn't matter.

If I'm 1 down with 1 to play, I think up and down for birdie is good enough to force a playoff instead of trying to hole a chip. I probably would have caused a scene if I only lost by 1.

I don't know how that situation should have been resolved. If he got another shot at the putt, it's probably going in. If the putt wasn't swatted back at him, it takes a ridge and finishes farther away than he started.

I'm dealing with some real sour grapes right now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Weekly casual recreational league tonight and once again there are people hogging the entirety of the practice greens. Practice your chipping and putting to the closest cup next to you, not the ones on the other side of the chipping green so nobody can use the one you’re chipping over :argh:

E: oh very cool, now he’s chipping 20 feet from the fringe of the smaller practice green to the green that opened up and I’m putting on. There’s a small irons range right behind you!

T-Square fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Oodles posted:

I tried this today. Learned that I'm a lot worse from 75 to 125 than I thought. Good practice rountine