Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i worked at a record store for 3 or 4? years, i knew some of the ins and outs about the whole thing. i wasn't expecting anything to sound "better" but god drat it was ridiculous how low effort and lazy some of the pressings of the new stuff was for the prices they wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

There are some good sounding newer pressings but they’re few and far between. If it’s a more major label release then you’re likely getting something that had no thought put into it because they know it’s mostly going to get played on a lovely crosley from target. Your best bet is to wade into the steve hoffman forums and see if people are discussing a pressing and then leaving before you give yourself brain damage.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There was a recent poll I think on Discogs asking if people were actually listening to the records they were buying, and even in that self-selected enthusiast community most answered that they weren't, or only very occasionally, and a sizable share didn't even own a record player. I think that goes a long way to explain why publishers wouldn't be very concerned about quality.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

steinrokkan posted:

There was a recent poll I think on Discogs asking if people were actually listening to the records they were buying, and even in that self-selected enthusiast community most answered that they weren't, or only very occasionally, and a sizable share didn't even own a record player. I think that goes a long way to explain why publishers wouldn't be very concerned about quality.

Lol

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

On map chat, in Google maps on Android I used to be able to hide the UI by tapping an empty space on the map. Now it drops a pin there no matter how quickly I tap, so a good fifth of the screen is always taken up by UI.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Probably because records from the 60s were produced for vinyl. And digital just is better, there's no way around it so you won't find a magical modern release that sounds better on vinyl.

There are a few that sound better on vinyl, but only because they have dedicated vinyl mixes. For instance, Stratovarius Elysium sounds much better on vinyl than the standard version (though one of the songs' vinyl mixes got released as a B side on digital and sounds better still :v:). Just dumping a standard lovely brickwalled modern mix onto vinyl will only make it shittier.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Also there's a whole scene of dudes recording and mastering on magnetic analog tape and finishing to vinyl and those types of guys do give a poo poo if CZ or Rainbo or whatever ancient pressing plant press it like poo poo. Everybody gets sent test pressings by the plant, but I don't think the corporate goons pressing 50,000 Adele LPs for supermarket racks are listening real hard to see if it sounds good.

Then there's lacquers versus direct metal mastering and blah blah blah who cares vinyl's just a luxury item anyway. But yeah it sucks when it's pressed or mastered with no care. Just don't buy major releases on that format maybe, I dunno.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's just merch now.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Million Ghosts posted:

i hate to sound like a boomer but man modern vinyl records sound like loving garbage. i dunno what part of the process makes it so, but i remember buying a Gucci Mane LP and it just sounded like absolute poo poo compared to the spotify files, to the point where i had to return it. same experience with some death metal records as well, most weren't that bad but all the modern stuff sounded either the same or slightly to extremely worse than spotify

but anything i had from the 60s or 70s sounded immaculate, even the ones that were beat to poo poo

I thought black metal is supposed to be lofi

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Extra row of tits posted:

Maybe it’s just my local barber but..

Booking a haircut.

I can’t walk into my local barber, I’ll be turned away even if they are empty. I have to book online:

Using their app.
Which often circles endlessly (enter your details, now log in, enter your details, now log in)
Which makes you choose the hair cut you want ( if you don’t know or it’s not one of the specific options your screwed)
Now you need to enter an email address, and phone number, and credit card.

Yeah cool, I’ll just give you my details for your lovely glitchy app, I’m sure it won’t be hacked in about ten minutes.

I went to a restaurant with my wife awhile back and the hostess told us they don't accept walk ins and you have to have a reservation. The place was only like a quarter full, but we were like ok whatever and started to leave. The hostess then goes "hey wait you don't have to leave, you can download our app and make a reservation and then I can seat you."

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

mawarannahr posted:

I thought black metal is supposed to be lofi

yeah it is that's why i buy it on tape

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

steinrokkan posted:

It’s me. I’ve bought records just to have the album art nice and big and one time for a poster. My fiancé has a player but it’s at her house and it’s not that serious.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Records are cool. Listening to records sucks. Years ago I decided I had to make the decision whether I was actually going to be a record guy or not. I didn't want to have a giant collection of large things and actually listening to them was kind of a pain in the rear end, so I ended up giving away my record player to a friend but hung onto the handful of records I have to stick on a bookshelf because I like the look of them and am still tempted to pick up some of my favorite albums from time to time.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've got a lump under the skin on my arm that wasn't there at the beginning of the year. Started out as a soreness and gradually got bigger

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

I went to a restaurant with my wife awhile back and the hostess told us they don't accept walk ins and you have to have a reservation. The place was only like a quarter full, but we were like ok whatever and started to leave. The hostess then goes "hey wait you don't have to leave, you can download our app and make a reservation and then I can seat you."

this is another aspect I hate about the Big Tech world we live in. just letting a bunch of parasitic datamining apps data mine us.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

caleb posted:

Sure. Just do whatever you want.

That makes sense to me and I've had use for both alternatives, but I have probably worked too long with biology people.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

is pepsi ok posted:

Please tell me you laughed and still walked out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

is pepsi ok posted:

so the restaurant is just a front for their data business then

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
When I lived in Santa Monica, there were a few restaurants that were starting to get on the, 'you have to download our app - no exceptions' stupidity. We just never ate there. My health insurance offers an app and I don't use that poo poo. You think I'm downloading an app for your restaurant in a city that is basically a sea of restaurants? Yeah, no thanks. What was truly bizarre is that there was a restaurant that required your phone number, even if they were going to seat you immediately. What they were doing with that is beyond me, but that was also a hard no.

If your business requires me to interact with your lovely app, I'm not giving you business.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I remember hearing it was a big pandemic safety thing for awhile to avoid paper menus, but they started getting a tremendous amount of pushback and i totally get it. It really feels like a core part of the casual dining experience. Keep the goddamn phone screens away from the dinner table. There's enough of that everywhere else in the world.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Isn't it Applebee's or one those lovely chains that tried to make all ordering through a lovely tablet on the table? I remember my wife asking for a drink menu and the waitress saying it was on the tablet. gently caress that.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I'm okay with it on checking out on the basis that at that point you're on your way out anyway. But encouraging people to stare at phone screens more than they do already just to get through ordering can gently caress right off.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I haven’t been to one in an extremely long time but I remember them having some kind of tablet thing at the table that was literally just for card payments. This might’ve been like 7 or 8 years ago at this point.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I love when Delis or other stores have electronic screens and one of them is glitched and either shows the error code scnreen or some sort of Windows thing.

like yeah, im boring and have a my own regular order, but atleast chalk or marker doesnt glitch out. or die from a bad outlet or cable, or die during a black out.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Menus on digitasl screens are such poo poo I hate it when I'm reading a menu somewhere and then it disappears and shows like a zoom in of some item like who the hell is this helping? old people who forgot what food looks like while reading the menu??

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

euphronius posted:

Cloud storage is so unintuitive that any benefit it may have is vastly outweighed by the confusion it causes

People understood local saves and emailing a file. This cloud nonsense is opaque. When it works, which it does not all of the time

:same:

Why not just keep things simple?

Same thing with Skype. Skype was great. Simple, straightforward. Better buy it out and torpedo it asap.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Google Shopping seems to blow nowadays. I'm searching for "Men's high top Chuck Taylors." The results show a bunch of seemingly-promising results. You click on it - "Kids unisex low top Chuck Taylors." Or the link you click on says "$49!" You click on it, and it's like $80." I don't understand how this is a positive business model (?) for Google.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Triikan posted:

Isn't it Applebee's or one those lovely chains that tried to make all ordering through a lovely tablet on the table? I remember my wife asking for a drink menu and the waitress saying it was on the tablet. gently caress that.

Nah a shitload of them do this now it's dumb your waitress will bring you extra poo poo like ranch and cheese sides though and it won't charge on the app just be ready to tip cash when you go to these shitholes

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

Hey let’s make multiuser PCs untenable by clogging up everyone’s profile with 1Gb to 4Gb of service worker cache just for an IM program that runs in a loving web browswer

This is the part that kills me. There is no MS Teams :airquote: Client :airquote: its just a very lovely web page using WebRTC for the mic and camera. MS Teams is actually a very lovely, very advanced company intranet site with semi-working Sharepoint links circa 2012.

skooma512 posted:

Makes sense. Apple wants features and updates to put in IOS every year, Google notoriously doesn’t give a gently caress about products after release and eventually just sunsets them or lets them stagnate.

Google maps can sorta go gently caress itself. I ran into a (vaguely) life-threatening bug with their dumb app once - I was driving back over the Grapevine last summer and there was a fire so they closed 5. The traffic reroute went out Lancaster and other godawful places, where there isn't very good cell phone coverage. I had Google maps of the entire area saved to my phone. What happened
- Google maps with cell reception understood the fire closures and wanted to send me on the proscribed route, but there was shitloads of traffic as a four lane freeway was forced down one lane of traffic on side streets.
- Google maps, again with cell reception, kept offering shortcut routes up through the random hills around the Grapevine. I dont know that area at all, but I was in my truck so I figured I could always drive across fire roads or whatever if need be.

I turn off from the main traffic and head up the mountain. The loving instant Google maps loses reception, it immediately forgets the route and tries to send me back to the fire-closed freeway WITHOUT ANY NOTIFICATION WHATSOEVER I ended up driving around in an insane circle for the better part of two hours while Google maps flickered between reception and no reception. I didn't realize at first and I obviously didn't know the area, I just kept driving and would look down and see the route went right back to Highway 5, and at first I thought that maybe they got the fire under control? Then my phone would get any sort of reception and it would send me right back. The instant it either got/lost signal, it would just jump to the other route and there was nothing I could do about it. I think it was something to do with Carplay and google maps, but eventually I gave up and took the normal route and had to tell the phone to stfu while it kept pinging me for an hour to turn around :argh:

Fwiw I tried Apple Maps and it wanted me to go out to San Bernadino :dafuq:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

I've got a lump under the skin on my arm that wasn't there at the beginning of the year. Started out as a soreness and gradually got bigger

That happened to me. It went away eventually. Thank you for mentioning it!

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Computer viking posted:

That makes sense to me and I've had use for both alternatives, but I have probably worked too long with biology people.

I'm sure there is a good reason for it and I'm missing the point due to inexperience. For what I was doing at the time it was obnoxious having it second guess me repeatedly as if I was just haphazardly selecting data.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I use Google maps regularly for work to navigate to GPS coordinates around town. Google maps loving sucks navigating to GPS coordinates. It knows the coordinates, but the second Google maps has to recalibrate, or re-route due to traffic it will set the driving destination as the center of the nearest town. In some cases using it to navigate around the Port of Long Beach it will try to drive me out to sea.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
would a real gps device be better? like phones do psudeo gps with celltowers and some other smart things.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

While I was writing this I had to find out how to disable grammarly on my phone, which took 15 minutes and is buried in two different menus, depends on your phone, can't be turned off in some cases, and will probably just turn itself on again tomorrow

Hi!
We're getting some things ready for you
Oops! Something went wrong :(
There should be something here...
This will take a small moment
That didn't work, try again

My mom got herself a new Win11 Laptop, and proudly told me that she had set it up herself after I begged her not to and let me help. The amount of data extraction Microsoft does on users like her is criminal, and the amount of workarounds needed to decloudify and deaccountify everything is insane.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Lifetime traffic ones are way underrated, I just don't know if the broadcasted traffic info includes road closures

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I use Google maps regularly for work to navigate to GPS coordinates around town. Google maps loving sucks navigating to GPS coordinates. It knows the coordinates, but the second Google maps has to recalibrate, or re-route due to traffic it will set the driving destination as the center of the nearest town. In some cases using it to navigate around the Port of Long Beach it will try to drive me out to sea.

Why are people and software so terrible at using GPS coordinates? Like yeah lat and long decimal degrees sucks but it's two numbers. You don't even need to understand how it even works beyond 'two magic numbers that tell you exactly where you are on the planet'.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Triikan posted:

Chili's and Red Robin do. I luckily have never eaten at an Applebee's

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

would a real gps device be better? like phones do psudeo gps with celltowers and some other smart things.

In 2012 I used a Garmin that my dad put pirated map updates on but it was done wrong, and I only found out halfway through the route because it was missing a tile of map probably and routed me way the hell inland away from I-5 on the way to San Diego. I would have been hosed if I didn't memorize the key points and I think I had the route printed out too.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

skooma512 posted:

Chili's and Red Robin do. I luckily have never eaten at an Applebee's

For what it’s worth, I’ve never had them force me to use the tablets - you can order drinks and appetizers on them if you want before your server gets there, but it’s not required. I don’t think you can even order entrees and such on there.

I actually really like being able to run my card on them myself when I’m done, but I’m also the sort of person who will seek out self-checkout at the grocery store, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Windows is obsessed with One Drive. It keeps trying to activate it, reminding me it's there, giving me error pop ups about it being disabled, telling me how useful cloud storage is.

At this point I don't care if someone can show me that it's objectively better than Google Drive, it's pushy enough that I refuse to use it out of spite.