Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

sullat posted:

Yeah the real tax scam is putting in financial assets into your IRA that you think are "only" worth a few thousand and surprise surprise they are actually worth a few million. That's how Romney (and others) get those nine figure IRA accounts.
It's just insider trading. Sure you can only move $6500 a year into your roth IRA, but you can invest that in anything and not pay taxes forever on the earnings. So buy some ultra cheap stock in a company that you know your private equity friends are about to pump up in value. Rinse, repeat, watch your tax free funds increase exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Subvisual Haze posted:

It's just insider trading. Sure you can only move $6500 a year into your roth IRA, but you can invest that in anything and not pay taxes forever on the earnings. So buy some ultra cheap stock in a company that you know your private equity friends are about to pump up in value. Rinse, repeat, watch your tax free funds increase exponentially.

ah yes, one weird trick to retiring rich

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Subvisual Haze posted:

Peter Thiel has taken this to an extreme

https://www.propublica.org/article/...fO1A-W9dsaUWVnP

quote:

Assuming a modest 6% annual return and no withdrawals, his tax-free golden egg could be worth about $263 billion in 2087, when Thiel plans to celebrate his 120th birthday.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

goddamn I really want to sell this motherfucker a submarine ride

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The submarine calls.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My one big consolation is that Peter Thiel will never live to be even close to 120

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My one big consolation is that Peter Thiel will never live to be even close to 120

Make him immortal and launch him into space.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of his blood boys will likely poison their own blood just to take him out.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I don't use discord enough to immediately clock this, but from what I'm guessing by looking at it, this got cross posted to a discord and downvoted thousands of times lol, was it the Tesla discord

Edit: oh, oh no, I see, it's too long and you need... you need to pay extra to... to have enough letters...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't use discord enough to immediately clock this, but from what I'm guessing by looking at it, this got cross posted to a discord and downvoted thousands of times lol, was it the Tesla discord

Edit: oh, oh no, I see, it's too long and you need... you need to pay extra to... to have enough letters...

Musk should buy and improve Discord.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Musk should buy and improve Discord.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah discord has been implementing terrible subscription services to allow you to write longer messages, or use more server emojis.

The first is so dumb because you can just break your message up into parts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vox Nihili posted:

Can't believe Wall Street Silver would miss the mark like that...

While idk the authenticity of the video the linked anti-union Hill article does say what he posted
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1682519124671356928?t=zaIheaFugkKgD3ww4u62Hw&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's already stupid enough you have to pay to use the animated emoji installed on the server

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/wagatwe/status/1682737313112113156

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
discord nitro is hilariously expensive for what it is

anyways discord sucks poo poo and i hope it destroys itself trying to IPO

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

fun fact you can just install BetterDiscord and some scripts and get emojis across all servers, infinite characters, and a bunch of other cool poo poo

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spaced God posted:

fun fact you can just install BetterDiscord and some scripts and get emojis across all servers, infinite characters, and a bunch of other cool poo poo

wow, this is theft

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

I feel like this sort of thing should just be straight up illegal. Hell even listing tax separately in general is dumb, stuff should just be labeled what it's gonna cost. Who would even be against upfront pricing like why is this not a general topic in politics? I should be able to walk into a store or whatever with 20 physical dollars in my pocket and arrive at a register with knowledge that what I picked up will be covered by said money.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

PoundSand posted:

I feel like this sort of thing should just be straight up illegal. Hell even listing tax separately in general is dumb, stuff should just be labeled what it's gonna cost. Who would even be against upfront pricing like why is this not a general topic in politics? I should be able to walk into a store or whatever with 20 physical dollars in my pocket and arrive at a register with knowledge that what I picked up will be covered by said money.

but that would be unfair to the ruling class :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RandomBlue posted:

wow, this is theft
you joke, but there's this thing that happened in Florida i haven't seen much discussion of: a guy just looked at fox news page sources and found .m3u links to feeds and recorded things not intended for broadcast. got raided by FBI

https://twitter.com/JustinGarciaFL/status/1682495928022728706

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PoundSand posted:

because consumers love low prices

if someone have an option of going to either a bar with $10 cocktails menu prices but hidden + $2 service surcharge + $5 healthcare surchage + $1 rent surcharge + $2 alcohol tax surcharge, consumers 're going to choose that place over a bar that has $20 flat priced cocktails out-the-door list price.

"hell no we can't go to Rusted Lion Head, that's that really expensive bar that charges $20 for a cocktail, can you believe it!!???! Lets go to Jimbos Freedom Bar, drinks are only $10 there!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
there's been some experiments for various independent pizza places or restaurants here in the bay area to say "we're getting rid of tips and giving employees a living wage!" and adjust their menu so food is priced all final-out-the-door and end up going out of business because people get sticker shocked over a $40 pizza and choose Round Table or something instead.

one place that did this but didn't close renegged on this a few years later and went back to cheaper menu-list price food but reducing employee wage, bringing back tips, and taking taxes off the menu price

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

you joke, but there's this thing that happened in Florida i haven't seen much discussion of: a guy just looked at fox news page sources and found .m3u links to feeds and recorded things not intended for broadcast. got raided by FBI

https://twitter.com/JustinGarciaFL/status/1682495928022728706

Being called hacker for hitting f12 on a web page and right clicking and saving. lmao. lol.

Dumb bitches should have had a better CMS system.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i Found this thread in gbs. I think it's germane to some discussions here and is similar to some of the digests Xaris posts from other social media. this isn't an invitation to gently caress with the thread or whatever, I will link it directly cause I think there are some interesting posts there in the crowd: Post ITT every time you notice something got shittier for no good reason

quote:

I'm tagging this tech because internet/app stuff does this all the time for the last few years but welcome to hear anything getting worse purely for The Algorithm or other dumb reasons
but also it has economic / inflation observations. 👍

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

Being called hacker for hitting f12 on a web page and right clicking and saving. lmao. lol.

Dumb bitches should have had a better CMS system.

You'd be surprised lmao

(They never charged the journo because the media picked up on it)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Xaris posted:

there's been some experiments for various independent pizza places or restaurants here in the bay area to say "we're getting rid of tips and giving employees a living wage!" and adjust their menu so food is priced all final-out-the-door and end up going out of business because people get sticker shocked over a $40 pizza and choose Round Table or something instead.

one place that did this but didn't close renegged on this a few years later and went back to cheaper menu-list price food but reducing employee wage, bringing back tips, and taking taxes off the menu price

bay area is the worst place to try this because bay prices for pretty much everything are artificially inflated

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

bay area is the worst place to try this because bay prices for pretty much everything are artificially inflated

ehhh prices here used to be very inflated relative to the rest of america metros several years ago, probably peaking around 2016, but now all other major metro areas, or even second-third tier cities, are pretty much about 80%+ as expensive anyways

the only notable differences is states with tipped-wages where people get paid $2.75/hr on the assumption they will make tips. ca is a state that has banned tip-wages so min wage is $16/hr regardless if it's tipped or not. so you can go to like Tennessee and get a really cheap burger but because workers are paid $2.75/hr

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
All the more reason to legislate it! Like I can understand why businesses want to lie about how much their products cost but it seems like it could be a campaign slam dunk to put a stop to it. From people I talk to irl over delivery or w/e everyone seems to have caught onto the whole "hidden fee" thing. As an example I don't fly often and I dunno if it's even a provider in my area but even I'm aware that spirit airlines looks like it has cheap ticket prices but has a million little fees that pile up, your average consumer seems to be generally aware of this phenomenon and not like it even if they might get duped by it in advertising. Just sort of surprised it's not a topic that comes up with campaign runs or such cause it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to legislate "listed prices much match what a customer pays". I know biden decided to try this with ticketmaster of all things to somewhat positive reception so just do it across the board.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

PoundSand posted:

All the more reason to legislate it! Like I can understand why businesses want to lie about how much their products cost but it seems like it could be a campaign slam dunk to put a stop to it. From people I talk to irl over delivery or w/e everyone seems to have caught onto the whole "hidden fee" thing. As an example I don't fly often and I dunno if it's even a provider in my area but even I'm aware that spirit airlines looks like it has cheap ticket prices but has a million little fees that pile up, your average consumer seems to be generally aware of this phenomenon and not like it even if they might get duped by it in advertising. Just sort of surprised it's not a topic that comes up with campaign runs or such cause it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to legislate "listed prices much match what a customer pays". I know biden decided to try this with ticketmaster of all things to somewhat positive reception so just do it across the board.

President stuttering joe biden introduced legislation to ask ticketmaster politely to occasionally be more upfront about their fees. Promises made, promises kept

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
ive applied for hundresd of jobs im overqualified for and not got an interview. Been thanking my lucky stars that the econmic is heathy....

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

MuadDib Atreides posted:

ive applied for hundresd of jobs im overqualified for and not got an interview. Been thanking my lucky stars that the econmic is heathy....

i'm in a comfortably employed in a unionized public agency job where i cant get fired or laid off, but ive been enjoying reading recruitinghell recently to remind me how horrible jobs are https://www.reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

quote:

Hello! I’m on the job hunt now and I thought everyone here would enjoy hearing some of the reasons recruiters gave me for rejecting me after the first/final round interviews:

In the first interview, they asked what I disliked about my last job. Trying to choose something benign, I said employees had to park in a satellite lot about a quarter mile away from the office and walk, which was tiring in the summer. I was rejected because their office is set up as a multi-building campus which involves walking from building to building.

Another company rejected me after finding out I had a week-long trip planned in advance to help my retiring mother move to her new home. The job would start Aug 1st, the trip was for August 22-25. Apparently I could never recover in training if I missed a week within the first few months of the job (this was a retail position).

The recruiter told me there would be a travel commitment if I were offered this job and I asked what portion of time the team typically travels. Apparently this shows that I’m not dedicated to the work and just want to maximize my time at home

For an administrative assistant job, I seemed too excited about a simple office job

Not enough experience

Too much experience

My salary expectation was too low (???). They figured I wouldn’t be a good negotiator. I could see how that might be an issue in a job that requires negotiating, which this did not.

quote:

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

i'm in a comfortably employed in a unionized public agency job where i cant get fired or laid off, but ive been enjoying reading recruitinghell recently to remind me how horrible jobs are https://www.reddit.com/r/recruitinghell/

The story is the same wherever you turn.... Once B turns on those student loans we owe things will be even smoother sailing.... B ftw....

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Mostly gas and rent. Consumer goods aren't especially high these days.

Although the rent part of it definitely impacts the restaurant industry.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PoundSand posted:

This will never happen because there are plenty of people with political power who want you to see the word "TAX" on everything so you can imagine the government reaching into your pocket in exactly the same way the "health insurance" line item on restaurant receipts is supposed to work. You are supposed to think "this is not part of the price, this is someone hurting my financial health for nothing." If you folded all of these items into the price, people would forget about them in a few months and you can't make political hay about something no one remembers or cares about.

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Wondering how the student loan restart will effect the already perfect econmic outlook?????? Shan't speculate.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ghost_motley/status/1682796531055820805?t=3LnNfwxLqVLwPK2jVk_eJQ&s=19

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

? what does this mean and why is it an argument for phyiscal media.... want to play far cry version 32453223.5435 in peace.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

MickeyFinn posted:

This will never happen because there are plenty of people with political power who want you to see the word "TAX" on everything so you can imagine the government reaching into your pocket in exactly the same way the "health insurance" line item on restaurant receipts is supposed to work. You are supposed to think "this is not part of the price, this is someone hurting my financial health for nothing." If you folded all of these items into the price, people would forget about them in a few months and you can't make political hay about something no one remembers or cares about.

in the US it would probably also require national standardization of sales taxes, which, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Nothus posted:

Is this actually true, or is it spin to cover the fact that the Nomenklatura sold everyone out on the promise of joining the global cybernetic capitalist elite

There's a shocking amount of naivete and romanticism that the pro-capitalist section of the populace found in the West:

Communism in Wonderland, Blackshirts and Reds posted:

Wanting It All

I listened to an East German friend complain of poor services and inferior products; the system did not work, he concluded. But what of the numerous social benefits so lacking in much of the world, I asked, aren’t these to be valued? His response was revealing: “Oh, nobody ever talks about that.” People took for granted what they had in the way of human services and entitlements while hungering for the consumer goods dangling in their imaginations.

Likewise, the big demand in the German Democratic Republic (GDR) was for travel, new appliances, and bigger apartments. [27] The New York Times described East Germany as a “country of 16 million [who] seem transfixed by one issue: How soon can they become as prosperous as West Germany?” [28] A national poll taken in China reported that 68 percent chose as their goal “to live well and get rich.” [29]

In 1989, I asked the GDR ambassador in Washington, D.C. why his country made such junky two-cylinder cars. He said the goal was to develop good public transportation and discourage the use of costly private vehicles. But when asked to choose between a rational, efficient, economically sound and ecologically sane mass transportation system or an automobile with its instant mobility, special status, privacy, and personal empowerment, the East Germans went for the latter, as do most people in the world. The ambassador added ruefully: “We thought building a good society would make good people. That’s not always true.” Whether or not it was a good society, at least he was belatedly recognizing the discrepancy between public ideology and private desire.

In Cuba today many youth see no value in joining the Communist party and think Fidel Castro has had his day and should step aside. The revolutionary accomplishments in education and medical care are something they take for granted and cannot get excited about. Generally they are more concerned about their own personal future than about socialism. University courses on Marxism and courses on the Cuban Revolution, once overenrolled, now go sparsely attended, while students crowd into classes on global markets and property law. [30]

With the U.S. blockade and the loss of Soviet aid, the promise of abundance receded beyond sight in Cuba and the cornucopia of the North appeared ever more alluring. Many Cuban youth idealize life in the United States and long for its latest styles and music. Like the Eastern Europeans, they think capitalism will deliver the goodies at no special cost. When told that young people in the United States face serious hurdles, they respond with all the certainty of inexperience: “We know that many people in the States are poor and that many are rich. If you work hard, however, you can do well. It is the land of opportunity.” [31]

By the second or third generation, relatively few are still alive who can favorably contrast their lives under socialism with the great hardships and injustices of prerevolutionary days. As stated by one Cuban youth who has no memory of life before the revolution: “We’re tired of the slogans. That was all right for our parents but the revolution is history.” [32]

Reactionism to the Surface

For years I heard about the devilishly clever manipulations of communist propaganda. Later on, I was surprised to discover that news media in communist countries were usually lackluster and plodding. Western capitalist nations are immersed in an advertising culture, with billions spent on marketing and manipulating images. The communist countries had nothing comparable. Their media coverage generally consisted of dull protocol visits and official pronouncements, along with glowing reports about the economy and society — so glowing that people complained about not knowing what was going on in their own country. They could read about abuses of power, industrial accidents, worker protests, and earthquakes occurring in every country but their own. And even when the press exposed domestic abuses, they usually went uncorrected.

Media reports sometimes so conflicted with daily experience that the official press was not believed even when it did tell the truth, as when it reported on poverty and repression in the capitalist world. If anything, many intellectuals in communist nations were utterly starry-eyed about the capitalist world and unwilling to look at its seamier side. Ferociously opposed to the socialist system, they were anticommunist to the point of being full-fledged adulators of Western reactionism. The more rabidly “reactionary chic” a position was, the more appeal it had for the intelligentsia.

With almost religious fervor, intellectuals maintained that the capitalist West, especially the United States, was a free-market paradise of superabundance and almost limitless opportunity. Nor would they believe anything to the contrary. With complete certitude, well-fed, university-educated, Moscow intellectuals sitting in their modest but comfortable apartments would tell U.S. visitors, “The poorest among you live better than we.”

Romanticizing Capitalism

Most people living under socialism had little understanding of capitalism in practice. Workers interviewed in Poland believed that if their factory were to be closed down in the transition to the free market, “the state will find us some other work.” [39] They thought they would have it both ways. In the Soviet Union, many who argued for privatization also expected the government to continue providing them with collective benefits and subsidies. One skeptical farmer got it right: “Some people want to be capitalists for themselves, but expect socialism to keep serving them.” [40]

Reality sometimes hit home. In 1990, during the glasnost period, when the Soviet government announced that the price of newsprint would be raised 300 percent to make it commensurate with its actual cost, the new procapitalist publications complained bitterly. They were angry that state socialism would no longer subsidize their denunciations of state socialism. They were being subjected to the same free-market realities they so enthusiastically advocated for everyone else, and they did not like it.

Still, substantial numbers, especially among intellectuals and youths — the two groups who know everything — opted for the free-market paradise, without the faintest notion of its social costs. Against the inflated imagination, reality is a poor thing. Against the glittering image of the West’s cornucopia, the routinized, scarcity-ridden, and often exasperating experiences of communist society did not have a chance.

It seems communism created a dialectical dynamic that undermined itself. It took semi-feudal, devastated, underdeveloped countries and successfully industrialized them, bringing a better life for most. But this very process of modernization and uplift also created expectations that could not be fulfilled. Many expected to keep all the securities of socialism, overlaid with capitalist consumerism. As we shall see in subsequent chapters, they were in for some painful surprises.

One reason siege socialism could not make the transition to consumer socialism is that the state of siege was never lifted. As noted in the previous chapter, the very real internal deficiencies within communist systems were exacerbated by unrelenting external attacks and threats from the Western powers. Born into a powerfully hostile capitalist world, communist nations suffered through wars, invasions, and an arms race that exhausted their productive capacities and retarded their development. The decision by Soviet leaders to achieve military parity with the United States — while working from a much smaller industrial base — placed a serious strain on the entire Soviet economy.

The very siege socialism that allowed the USSR to survive made it difficult for it to thrive. Perestroika (the restructuring of socioeconomic practices in order to improve performance) was intended to open and revitalize production. Instead it led to the unraveling of the entire state socialist fabric. Thus the pluralistic media that were to replace the communist monopoly media eventually devolved into a procapitalist ideological monopoly. The same thing happened to other socialist institutions. The intent was to use a shot of capitalism to bolster socialism; the reality was that socialism was used to subsidize and build an unforgiving capitalism.

Pressed hard throughout its history by global capitalism’s powerful financial, economic, and military forces, state socialism endured a perpetually tenuous existence, only to be swept away when the floodgates were opened to the West.

tl;dr - A shockingly large number of people thought they could have all the socialist stuff like healthcare, housing, public transport, etc. with capitalist treats like 24/7 fruits and all the appliances.