Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ah, remember this? I'm gonna play some TW2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5qHSlTENk

Actually I want a CK3 mod where I can be skaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FastestGunAlive posted:

Spicy attrition was one of the custom playlists they’d rotate through. Everyone had their grenades replaced with Ticks. It was pretty fun. One of the other ones was everyone had grapple in addition to any other tactical ability I think

oh lmao completely misunderstood some reddit chatter yesterday about that then.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Edmond Dantes posted:

oh lmao completely misunderstood some reddit chatter yesterday about that then.

I saw the subreddit as well. They were saying that the custom playlist got swapped to spicy attrition, first time it’s changed in years. I can’t remember what it was previously but it wasn’t anything special, just a specific map or something.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

whats a skaven

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Jack Trades posted:

Give me a Scaven city builder or something.
Or an xcom-like.

Closest you'll get to Skaven XCOM is Mordheim, but its not great

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

whats a skaven

electric rat people by way of steampunk from fantasy Warhammer

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

do they play ska

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

yes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

whats a skaven

They're a myth op, they don't actually exist

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know, what's a skaven with you?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

whats a skaven

A miserable pile of secrets.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

whats a skaven

not much what's a skaven w u

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yo mama so skaven, when she gave birth she went "Oh, rats!"

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Anyone tried the new Might & Magic Clash of Heroes definitive edition? I was super stoked but it's getting murdered in the reviews which is a huge bummer.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Sloppy posted:

Anyone tried the new Might & Magic Clash of Heroes definitive edition? I was super stoked but it's getting murdered in the reviews which is a huge bummer.
The anger in the reviews seems to be largely directed at the business practices involved. It's basically the same game as Clash of Heroes (vanilla), with the Villains DLC included (which was MP only) and one (1) new Hero added (for MP only), and some new art (that replaces the old with no way to, say, toggle the old portaits). The previous version of the game had its support ended and online multiplayer shut down, and anybody who owned it who wants to play online multiplayer again has to buy the new version. It is otherwise still the same game and gameplay, so there shouldn't really be anything wrong with its playability per se.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Some goon I added on Steam is playing Rule the Waves 3 right now and I thought it was the cool 3D game where you make your own ships in a cartoony fashion with a million guns and have the ability to dodge roll, but that wasn't the game I had in mind because for reference Rule The Waves looks like this:

I respect this goon and the devs that make games like this. It makes Hearts of Iron 4 look like a Sony over the shoulder narrative action game in comparison.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Grognard games of the most classic kind. We have a whole thread for those here, too. Unapologetically bringing impenetrable, godawful UIs down to an art form. :discourse:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly if we’re not bringing war gamers up on rights tribunals we should at least go after the war games UX people.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Jack Trades posted:

Any Warhammer nerds here?
Are Warhammer Total War, Blood Bowl and Mordheim the only games with playable Skaven?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001I4ML0O/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=fantartandpor-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B001I4ML0O has Skaven. Maybe just in skirmish? Obviously the longest of shots.

At least say the name of the goon game: Waves of Steel

Also, anybody play Airships: Heroes and Villains? I'm wondering if it is enough for another go through.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, Remnant 2 runs like absolute shiiiieeeet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Runs fine for me on a 3060 on 1080p mostly High settings except for a small handful of areas and, weirdly enough, a noticeably long stutter whenever I go into/out of a menu.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Runs fine for me on a 3060 on 1080p mostly High settings except for a small handful of areas and, weirdly enough, a noticeably long stutter whenever I go into/out of a menu.

What's the DLSS set to?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

What's the DLSS set to?

Balanced, what I usually set it to. Looks fine to me but my monitor is kinda poo poo anyways.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Balanced, what I usually set it to. Looks fine to me but my monitor is kinda poo poo anyways.

Not even getting stable 60 fps on a 3060 running at 1114x626 resolution is not what I would personally call "runs fine".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sebmojo posted:

They're a myth op, they don't actually exist

Do you want to be cursed by an immense tower with a terrifying bell on top of it
Because this is how you get a cursed bell tower

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

Not even getting stable 60 fps on a 3060 running at 1114x626 resolution is not what I would personally call "runs fine".

I mean, it doesn't look like 1114x626 or whatever, it just looks like 1080p to me and it runs at a solid 60 except for very rare occasions besides the menu thing (so far only this one grove that had a lot of particle effects going on). I dunno DLSS always just looks fine to me I guess.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, it doesn't look like 1114x626 or whatever, it just looks like 1080p to me and it runs at a solid 60 except for very rare occasions besides the menu thing (so far only this one grove that had a lot of particle effects going on). I dunno DLSS always just looks fine to me I guess.

At that low of a resolution you start getting horrible disocclusion artifacts and general loss of detail. The game already doesn't look particularly great either.

Although I suppose, why the gently caress would you bother optimizing your game, which takes time and effort, when you can just not optimize poo poo, slap DLSS into it and most player won't give a poo poo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

well there's your problem right there, it's optimized for 1329x748½

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

At that low of a resolution you start getting horrible disocclusion artifacts and general loss of detail. The game already doesn't look particularly great either.

I was honestly taken with how good it looks, but I haven't played too much AAA stuff recently. Also I run at about 90fps on a 3070 with balanced DLSS

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

I was honestly taken with how good it looks, but I haven't played too much AAA stuff recently. Also I run at about 90fps on a 3070 with balanced DLSS

I feel like I'm being gaslit here.
Have you tried moving the camera? Do you not see the horrible halo of disocclusion artifacts around your character when you do that?
I'm not sure why but it's particularly bad in that game.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jack Trades posted:

How's your CPU? I don't have Remnant 2 (yet :getin:) but if cranking your resolution way down barely affects the framerate it's a classic sign of being CPU bound. That was me on my old PC with Elden Ring where even at like 800x600 resolution I couldn't crack 45fps.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 23, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Revita is free on prime gaming for 3 more days. I think this is a pretty good game so if you can, claim it!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jack Trades posted:

I feel like I'm being gaslit here.
Have you tried moving the camera? Do you not see the horrible halo of disocclusion artifacts around your character when you do that?
I'm not sure why but it's particularly bad in that game.

Mate I don't even know what the gently caress a disocclusion artifact is but the game just looks fine to me.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A somewhat random observation: What's the deal with borderless windowed display mode seemingly becoming less common recently? It used to be that for a while borderless was the default for just about any game, as is right and proper. But in the last few months I've come across a surprising number of games (most recently Stranded and JA3) that only have either exclusive fullscreen or bordered window available. I kinda assumed this would be a solved problem to the point of being available by default on commonly used game engines. Has there been some recent change that would make implementing borderless more difficult, or is it just a coincidence that I keep runingn across games that don't bother?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Perestroika posted:

A somewhat random observation: What's the deal with borderless windowed display mode seemingly becoming less common recently? It used to be that for a while borderless was the default for just about any game, as is right and proper. But in the last few months I've come across a surprising number of games (most recently Stranded and JA3) that only have either exclusive fullscreen or bordered window available. I kinda assumed this would be a solved problem to the point of being available by default on commonly used game engines. Has there been some recent change that would make implementing borderless more difficult, or is it just a coincidence that I keep runingn across games that don't bother?

I think it's excusive fullscreen becoming extinct and developers just naming borderless to simply fullscreen. In modern Windows exclusive fullscreen is secretly a borderless window anyway most of the time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah, microsoft have optimized borderless to a sufficient degree that they decided to deprecate exclusive fullscreen altogether in DX12

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I always get annoyed at games where you alt+tab just once to look something up on Google and then it decides you'd like to start your game in Windowed mode, forever. This is why I have to keep obsessively rechecking my settings whenever I start something new!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I always get annoyed at games where you alt+tab just once to look something up on Google and then it decides you'd like to start your game in Windowed mode, forever. This is why I have to keep obsessively rechecking my settings whenever I start something new!

Alt+Enter is usually a quick fix for that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Resident Evil Village was the worst one I found because when you alt-tab not only does it switch to windowed mode, it would disable HDR, and the only way to get it back to being correct is to restart the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Man I don't know if it's a time and place thing and what I would think of Oxenfree 1 if I played it now, but 2 just doesn't grab me at all. Three hours in I stare at the start button and rather go do the dishes.