Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

You can carry a T72 in an Il-76, can't do that with T14, maybe you can with An-124, can the Russians build An-124s or is the entire production line in Ukraine?

the an-224 could carry so many tanks but goddamn russians blew it up :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Starsfan posted:

The worm as they say, is turning.

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4110473-is-zelenskyys-ungrateful-act-causing-him-to-lose-his-luster/

I can't imagine something like (opinion piece though it is) this being allowed in the mainstream media at any other point in the war. Seems like Zelenskyy's time in the sun is running out to me.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

id make it cheap but try to sell it for alotta money

Smart. That way you can make more money

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Starsfan posted:

The worm as they say, is turning.

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/4110473-is-zelenskyys-ungrateful-act-causing-him-to-lose-his-luster/

I can't imagine something like (opinion piece though it is) this being allowed in the mainstream media at any other point in the war. Seems like Zelenskyy's time in the sun is running out to me.

https://www.salon.com/2014/10/28/wingnut_columnist_who_wants_south_to_secede_and_form_anti_gay_country_called_reagan_fired_from_newspaper/

quote:

In the interview, MacKinnon also denounced Abraham Lincoln for "wag[ing] an illegal war" against the Confederacy, which asserted had "seceded legally" and "peacefully."

A land of contrasts.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lostconfused posted:

From the government that brought you "pogroming Roma is just sparkling direct action"

https://kyivcity.gov.ua/news/miska_...FOfykJJ8dfd5L4Y posted:
Thus, according to the procedure, the organizers inform the city authorities and law enforcement authorities and law enforcement officers about a particular action. In particular, according to information from the Kyiv City State Administration, the march that took place in Kyiv on April 28 was declared not as an event dedicated to the creation of the SS Division "Galicia," but as a patriotic march of embroidered shirts

Lmfao

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahahahahahah

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Confederates shot first. Lincoln was very, very careful to make sure that was the case.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
embroidered shirts ftw

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

embroidered shirts ftw

SS Divisions ftl

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

as far as i can tell from this there are two kinds of monks, the absolute unit and the wizard

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care what you heard this march was for its for shirts ok???????

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
why do all the fash weirdos have shirt nicknames

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

You can carry a T72 in an Il-76, can't do that with T14, maybe you can with An-124, can the Russians build An-124s or is the entire production line in Ukraine?

There hasn't been a new An-124 built in about 20 years, though some have been modernized in various ways from old builds. Plans for a successor got thrown out of whack by the 2014 invasion of Ukraine (both Ukrainian and Russian companies were considering working together on successors/updates).

Russia has announced that they will make their own successor to the An-124, but that hasn't progressed beyond wind tunnel testing. But regardless, Russia has a lot of trains and track.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BadOptics posted:

Lol, I love to search the forums for "TANKIE" and man, some people really hate the erotic book covers gimmick.

lol really? Didn't expect that. Are they just mad that it's making light of something they view as Literally Modern Nazi Germany?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the green book covers are cringe, but it makes the worst people on the planet mad so i can't decide if it's good or bad

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

lol really? Didn't expect that. Are they just mad that it's making light of something they view as Literally Modern Nazi Germany?

I think its more petty than that. Seemed like they just get really mad that they can't use the word in their thread. It got banned in their thread because they were literally using it as a slur against any Russian anywhere. Since then they're got real mad this thread can say it but seem confused about how it's used. One guy said it was proof this thread is full of alt right because we're using slurs.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Jul 22, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Vatnork

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

sum posted:

On that same topic, this is about the most pessimistic article on Ukraine I've seen printed in the British press, who are usually deliriously optimistic. It's impressive that after acknowledging how overwhelmingly materially disadvantaged Ukraine is the author still somehow manages to muster out an unenthusiastic "...and that's why we must redouble our efforts to aid Ukraine"

Ah, so they've started to adopt the mandatory upbeat final sentence after a depressing climate change article approach.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think its more petty than that. Seemed like they just get really mad that they can't use the word in their thread. It got banned in their thread because they were literally using it as a slur against any Russian anywhere. Since then they're got real mad this thread can say it but seem confused about how it's used. One guy said it was proof this thread is full of alt right because we're using slurs.

:psyduck: Slur envy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They seem like very confused people tbh

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the orc erotica thing was starting to be a little overdone and cringe but the reaction to it made it funny again

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they really don't seem to understand, or care about, context

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Truga posted:

why do all the fash weirdos have shirt nicknames

c.f. "clean shirt," Peep Show :britain:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

i have nothing but pity for those who cannot accept the love of the orc into their heart

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
purported evidence of Ukraine using cluster munitions on residential areas of Donetsk city:

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1682789691333185536

Claims have not been verified by Russian authorities, but just lol if Ukraine's promise to the US not to use the cluster munitions they were being sent on civilians didn't last a week.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Starsfan posted:

purported evidence of Ukraine using cluster munitions on residential areas of Donetsk city:

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1682789691333185536

Claims have not been verified by Russian authorities, but just lol if Ukraine's promise to the US not to use the cluster munitions they were being sent on civilians didn't last a week.

Oh no that's a huge surprise, drat

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I've never understood the whole Russian hate thing. Most Russians are nice people with a hosed up government, same as Americans.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

From the 1990s, transgressive antiprofessionalism had become the opium of the vanguard corps of PMC elites. Angela Nagle’s book Kill All Normies: On Line Culture Wars from 4Chan and Tumblr to Trump and the Alt-Right angered these cultural studies transgression worshippers. Like Sokal, Nagle is a proponent of the Old Left, but unlike Sokal, she was not a tenured professor in a STEM field. Nagle has been cancelled by scholars writing the kinds of things that Sokal parodied. Liberal academics could not bear to see their love of subcultural insider knowledge questioned or criticized, especially by an adjunct and junior scholar. Since the publication of Nagle’s book, which was critical of her work, Gabriella Coleman, holder of the Wolf Chair in Scientific and Technological Literacy at McGill University, has worked tirelessly to blacklist and deplatform the Irish scholar. Nagle, who worked for years as an adjunct and journalist in the para-academic world, has little institutional power or standing in comparison with Coleman, the prize-winning ethnographer of Anonymous. Nagle suggested that Coleman’s 2014 book Hacker, Hoaxer, Whistleblower, Spy was one example of the feverish academic embrace of transgression and its antinormie animus. Nagle argues in passing that Coleman lost her distance to her ethnographic subjects of study—Internet provocateurs like / weev/, Andrew Aurenheimer, convicted and sentenced in 2012 of hacking AT&T. Coleman loves transgression, the kind parodied by Sokal, and her book is rife with gushing accounts of her relationships with online microcelebrities. Coleman is unfazed by the fact that /weev/ turned out to be an anti-Semitic, neo-Nazi webmaster of the far right website Daily Stormer. In contrast to Coleman, Nagle argued that the Left should be embracing the normative forces of class struggle, not the subcultural transgressions and exploits of people like Aurenheimer. Nagle believes in mass, working-class-based coalitions and movements, not subcultural fetish politics, which she finds undermines the forms of solidarity that are needed for the long struggles of the future. Parody, civil dissent, reasoned debate, contradiction, and polemics are useless, however, against people who see the world as a series of opportunities for transgressing boundaries and celebrating floating signifiers and Deleuzian lines of flight.

:thunk:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The question is if it actually weighs more, it may not actually weight much more than a T-90m because its turret by being unmanned doesn't need to be protected in the same fashion. This allows them to redistribute that weight in other areas of the tank. In addition, the length of the gun, while it contributes to the size of the turret, does allow them significantly greater range than other guns of the same caliber.

You are right; it is physically tall because of its gun but weight is more tricky.

With its gun, it is probably more useful slightly behind the frontline to support other armored vehicles than it would be in the thick of combat, it is also why they are only building so many.

how does "unarmored turret" figure into the new era of everyone and their grandma having top attack weapons

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

man i sound so smart there

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've never understood the whole Russian hate thing. Most Russians are nice people with a hosed up government, same as Americans.

if they weren't disgusting orc pigs who loved war and deserved death they would have taken up arms against their government for this illegal invasion

what was i doing during the iraq war? look it was a different time and like, saddam was a bad guy? it's different

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

how does "unarmored turret" figure into the new era of everyone and their grandma having top attack weapons

It's unmanned, thats the point. It is a lot easier to take out crew than it is a autoloader/cannon.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

if they weren't disgusting orc pigs who loved war and deserved death they would have taken up arms against their government for this illegal invasion

what was i doing during the iraq war? look it was a different time and like, saddam was a bad guy? it's different

And Afghanistan, and Libya

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Oldest Man posted:

there's no way you can armour the turret enough to survive a dedicated top attack anti-tank weapon so the best you can do is make it unmanned and seal it off from the crew. The best armor for a tank remains "don't be seen" and if that fails "don't get hit".

Active protection might get good enough one day to make missiles useless but not quite yet.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

I was really high through the Iraq War, I couldn't really be held accountable for overthrowing the government during that time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah, Um Deus Passeando Pela Brisa da Tarde. I didn't realize it was obscure, I had a whole seminar on it. I realize it's not as popular as Harry Potter, but I thought it was better known.

I had another class on The Name of the Rose by Eco, and there was one I didn't take on Pillars of the Earth, though the book and boardgame are great. There are two Name of the Rose games too, the one that shares a title, and Mystery of the Abbey, which I think is a bit more fun and lighthearted.

If undergrad and high school were more like grad school I think people would be more willing to stick it out. I think I only really enjoyed my education starting then.

Pentament art style inspiration identified.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

there's no way you can armour the turret enough to survive a dedicated top attack anti-tank weapon so the best you can do is make it unmanned and seal it off from the crew. The best armor for a tank remains "don't be seen" and if that fails "don't get hit".

Active protection might get good enough one day to make missiles useless but not quite yet.

The best defense since always has been to hit the other guy before he can hit you.

Thus leading to innovations such as "pointy stick", "slightly longer pointy stick", "throwing pointy stick" and "shooting pointy stick at other guy".

I mean the secret best defense has always been to forge bonds of friendship through mutual interdependence, cooperation and respect, but you know *gestures at everything*.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

The best defense since always has been to hit the other guy before he can hit you.

Thus leading to innovations such as "pointy stick", "slightly longer pointy stick", "throwing pointy stick" and "shooting pointy stick at other guy".

I mean the secret best defense has always been to forge bonds of friendship through mutual interdependence, cooperation and respect, but you know *gestures at everything*.

Seems dishonourable. I cannot abide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's the same kind of violent reaction people have when confronted with their doppelganger.