Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I haven’t played any MK game since deception but i wanna see Havik ffs!

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Was this ever a question?

Tanya is in the same club with Jade where she's traditionally been just dark enough that chuds will argue about it.

Now NRS has officially hired black/mixed women to be both characters' face models and the usual suspects are upset.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also, Netherrealm hasn't been consistent about it. After clearly being black in MK4 and MK Deception, she was suddenly white in MKX's story mode. But they corrected that when they made her playable.

I kinda liked the Egyptian hair & dark make-up she had, though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/alex_navarro/status/1682545349687115792?t=gWaTY70Lv1Bde4TMmbGbRg&s=19

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Li Mei looks sick.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Wanderer posted:

Tanya is in the same club with Jade where she's traditionally been just dark enough that chuds will argue about it.

Now NRS has officially hired black/mixed women to be both characters' face models and the usual suspects are upset.

Hate it when the usual suspect chuds argue over whether Jade or Tanya who is in the same club are black because theyre just dark enough

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I mean, I would probably do this too.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I mean, I would probably do this too.

The champ is here.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhonne posted:

Liu Kang, how did you end up turning tarkatans into an infectious disease?

From the little pieces of lore information, my guess is that it isn't Liu Kang's doing. I don't think he allowed tarkatans to begin with. My theory is that Rain's interest in dark sorcery led to him finding Shang Tsung (who might just be the version from the "Shang wins" Aftermath ending) and becoming his follower. The tarkan disease was something they introduced into the universe just to throw a wrench in what Liu Kang was building.

In the Reiko clip from the panel, it's discussed that Shao Kahn was a loyal and beloved general, but Shang Tsung got in his ear and convinced him to take control.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, the story that's emerging is that Liu Kang's New Era is being invaded by Shang Tsung's New Era. It's not just that Liu Kang's vision was flawed and the cracks are showing, but that some people and organizations are being suborned by an outside force.

It looks like the primary issues so far are all with Outworld/Edenia's power structure, which makes a certain amount of sense; Tsung is starting with the people who he already knows how to manipulate.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What does Kollector's era look like :thunk:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

I'm sure the make-a-wish foundation is eternally grateful to Fire God Liu Kang.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Gavok posted:

From the little pieces of lore information, my guess is that it isn't Liu Kang's doing. I don't think he allowed tarkatans to begin with. My theory is that Rain's interest in dark sorcery led to him finding Shang Tsung (who might just be the version from the "Shang wins" Aftermath ending) and becoming his follower. The tarkan disease was something they introduced into the universe just to throw a wrench in what Liu Kang was building.

In the Reiko clip from the panel, it's discussed that Shao Kahn was a loyal and beloved general, but Shang Tsung got in his ear and convinced him to take control.

Also some speculation that this Baraka is actually an infected Kano as they both have similar clothing and have tribal tattoos on one arm.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Li Mei looks sick.

I wanna take a ride on your disco stick

Re: the post on the last page about scummy practices, yeah I wish Ed, being one of the OGs of the industry would have bucked that trend, but instead embraces and pioneers the roguery of DLC. Announcing DLC characters before the game or even the base roster is even released is a huge slap in the face

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Sonya really isn't in this game(outside of a kameo), then I'm curious what they do with Johnny. I've gotten so used to Johnny Cage, loving husband and father, that it's going to be weird to see him in a game with no Sonya or Cassie.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

codo27 posted:

Re: the post on the last page about scummy practices, yeah I wish Ed, being one of the OGs of the industry would have bucked that trend, but instead embraces and pioneers the roguery of DLC. Announcing DLC characters before the game or even the base roster is even released is a huge slap in the face

Boon may not have had a choice.

MK1 is a WB Games joint, so Boon reports (probably not directly) to David Zaslav. Even after the Warner Bros. Discovery spinoff, the company was still $45 billion in debt as of March 31.

As such, it's safe to expect that anything from WB Games for the foreseeable future will have a bunch of microtransaction-based, penny-pinching bullshit baked into it. It's not that anyone who actually makes these games isn't aware that moves like this are unpopular with consumers; it's that they're owned by a conglomerate that's desperate to make whatever extra money it can.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it is fine if a fighting game has dlc characters

Orv
May 4, 2011

codo27 posted:

lol

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Vakal posted:

Also some speculation that this Baraka is actually an infected Kano as they both have similar clothing and have tribal tattoos on one arm.

Karaka

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I think it is fine if a fighting game has dlc characters

:same:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Announcing DLC characters before the release of the full game is pretty standard FG grift by now. Pretty much all of them do it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

exquisite tea posted:

Announcing DLC characters before the release of the full game is pretty standard FG grift by now. Pretty much all of them do it.

yeah sf6 did it and nobody batted an eye

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Wanderer posted:

Boon may not have had a choice.

MK1 is a WB Games joint, so Boon reports (probably not directly) to David Zaslav. Even after the Warner Bros. Discovery spinoff, the company was still $45 billion in debt as of March 31.

As such, it's safe to expect that anything from WB Games for the foreseeable future will have a bunch of microtransaction-based, penny-pinching bullshit baked into it. It's not that anyone who actually makes these games isn't aware that moves like this are unpopular with consumers; it's that they're owned by a conglomerate that's desperate to make whatever extra money it can.

It's really why I don't have any intention of buying the game. I'll still be looking at what comes out and taking an interest is a spectator, but I just don't want to give my money to this kinda thing anymore. MK11 felt like a live service game that had all of its microtransactions removed at the last minute because it was at a time when things were really coming down hard on the exploitative practices of it all, but the boring grind was already baked into the game. Now everyone's forgotten or given up again, and WB is desperate right now, so I expect every underhanded practice will probably be in full effect. Can't wait for MK NFTs and Kryptocurrency.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

EorayMel posted:

What does Kollector's era look like :thunk:

I was a fan of the Kitana arcade ending that had her, Mileena and Jade fight crime in Otherworld.

Rhonne posted:

If Sonya really isn't in this game(outside of a kameo), then I'm curious what they do with Johnny. I've gotten so used to Johnny Cage, loving husband and father, that it's going to be weird to see him in a game with no Sonya or Cassie.

Yeah, I'm gonna miss Cassie. And Sonya to a lesser degree which I put down to still not having mentally scrubbed the memory of Rousey's "performance" as Sonya.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
what grind...? You dont even have to unlock kharacters...

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Buschmaki posted:

what grind...? You dont even have to unlock kharacters...

i think he means for kosmetics

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Who gives a krap about that stuff . . .

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the biggest thing to me was that brutalities and fatalities were locked in the krypt. just give me the moves, ed

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yah brutalities being locked was annoying

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Smoking Crow posted:

yeah sf6 did it and nobody batted an eye

Hell, this game did it before the DLC pack #1 was even announced, or did we all just collectively ignore trailers ending with PRE-ORDER NOW TO GET SHANG TSUNG AND BETA ACCESS?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Buschmaki posted:

Who gives a krap about that stuff . . .

People do. Maybe not you, and that's absolutely great that you are not as susceptible to the predatory practices of microtransactions and things like that, but we gotta acknowledge that these things are done because they are effective on those that are vulnerable to these practices.

In the context of MK11, like I said, it felt like there was a structure in place to sell people koins or whatever it was to "skip the grind," but then it was removed at the last minute. I can't prove it, but I do know I gave up on the weekly challenges and doing X amount of fatalities with each character and poo poo like that and never fully unlocked everything because it was just so boring and repetitive to me.

There was similar stuff in MK10, and if I remember right, that actually DID have microtransactions for the in-game currency, right? These games also had additional costume packs and fatalities and stuff that weren't included in the Kombat Pass stuff either. So I'm just saying to be prepared for all kinds of poo poo like this to be loaded into this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
To be clear I don’t particularly disagree with you that they are lovely practices but I’m curious if you’d prefer to go back to owning five copies of each fighting game, which would absolutely be $70 a pop nowadays.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Hopefully the things like Brutalities and Fatalities will just be there from the bat. I could care less about what my sword looks like though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder if Friendship will come back.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if Friendship will come back.

Nah, this time we're getting Animalities

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is Kreate A Fatality back due to the mix&matching kameo X-RAYS?????? :ccb:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

To be clear I don’t particularly disagree with you that they are lovely practices but I’m curious if you’d prefer to go back to owning five copies of each fighting game, which would absolutely be $70 a pop nowadays.

Like for console exclusives? I didn't realize it was a significant issue in fighting games because I'm not big on fighting games overall, but I think if a version of a game has a platform exclusive, the other versions should cost less since you're getting less content. I thought it was funny how Kratos wasn't allowed in tournaments because it wasn't fair to XBox people who didn't know how to play against him though.

I'm just an old man disillusioned with the games industry. I still like Mortal Kombat and I'm interested to see what they do with the actual meat of this game, so I'm not intending to just jump in here and poo poo on everything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Technowolf posted:

Instead of your opponent being killed, a random cute baby animal is murdered.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Jamesman posted:

Like for console exclusives? I didn't realize it was a significant issue in fighting games because I'm not big on fighting games overall, but I think if a version of a game has a platform exclusive, the other versions should cost less since you're getting less content. I thought it was funny how Kratos wasn't allowed in tournaments because it wasn't fair to XBox people who didn't know how to play against him though.

I'm just an old man disillusioned with the games industry. I still like Mortal Kombat and I'm interested to see what they do with the actual meat of this game, so I'm not intending to just jump in here and poo poo on everything.

No, fighting games were notorious for selling balance patches as new $60 games. That's why Street Fighter 4 is a 4 game series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Technowolf posted:

That would be cool, as long as they aren’t stupid like they were in UMK3.

Friendships were (mostly) really good in MK11. I still laugh thinking about how excited Sub-Zero gets when you initiate his.