Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

as far as i can tell from this there are two kinds of monks, the absolute unit and the wizard

Some appear to be both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The big selling point with the t-14 is it can out-range other tanks in relative safety, there is a fair point to be made, it could be easily be a target in a front line situation and if they are going to be used it is at maximum range and behind, not in front, of infantry. Supposedly, the gun fires ATGM on it can hit targets at 12km.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Jul 22, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Can you even see what you're shooting at 10km away?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

missile could be laser guided by a drone at that point, and the missile may not even by on a direct trajectory nor require direct sight from the tank. south korea and israel have similar ammo on their tanks that can be fired without direct los from the tank

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

You can, but it takes practice. I was always terrible at shooting things, but I kept at it and now I can hit targets at 20km.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

At that point why bother with the tank, just use an artillery piece or put the missile on the drone

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Endman posted:

At that point why bother with the tank, just use an artillery piece or put the missile on the drone

They do this as well

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Endman posted:

Artillery is indirect fire and doesn’t have the velocity of a directed fired missile or sabot round (only the ATGM is going to be useful at that range), and the problem with heavier drones that can carry ATGMs, is they get shot down fairly often. You can use attack helicopters but they are pretty much doing the same thing just elevated and at higher risk.

It is also a platform that isn’t going to be great for everything, but is why older armor is actually still very useful.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've never understood the whole Russian hate thing. Most Russians are nice people with a hosed up government, same as Americans.

dehumanization of the other/stranger is a basic move from the imperialism playbook.

nuance to motivate to fight against a state instead of a people requires a more sophisticated approach. “The barbarians are at the gates” is a time honored tactic, but has the problem of making things worse in the long run as the barbarians prove to be rather resourceful and competent somehow in the fighting

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I’m not convinced; T-14 remains expensive capitalist garbage in my eyes compared to superior workers’ tank T-72

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The chad proletarian T-72 and the virgin oligarchic T-14

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endman posted:

I’m not convinced; T-14 remains expensive capitalist garbage in my eyes compared to superior workers’ tank T-72

:hai:

I suspect it's more a way of keeping the Russian MIC sharp than any serious attempt at replacing the Soviet tanks

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Endman posted:

The real workers' tank is the T-55. :colbert:

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ardennes posted:

Artillery is indirect fire and doesn’t have the velocity of a directed fired missile or sabot round (only the ATGM is going to be useful at that range), and the problem with heavier drones that can carry ATGMs, is they get shot down fairly often. You can use attack helicopters but they are pretty much doing the same thing just elevated and at higher risk.

It is also a platform that isn’t going to be great for everything, but is why older armor is actually still very useful.

gonna send this to raytheon and get paid a billion bux

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

Artillery is indirect fire and doesn’t have the velocity of a directed fired missile or sabot round (only the ATGM is going to be useful at that range),

Artillery isn't as high velocity as a direct fire sabot round true. But you were talking about an ATGM that flies 12 km. How fast is this ATGM flying? 152mm rounds exit a hell of a lot faster than ATGMs, which are typically subsonic. So unless the 152mm is going for a very high arc, I'm not sure that a missile would be faster at all out to 12km, and if the missile is, it is by margins so thin that it doesn't matter.

If the Armata marketers are saying they have a guided missile that flies 12km, guided by the tank, and the missile goes 12 km faster than a 152mm shell out of a Msta Howitzer, that's getting into some real wondrous weaponry stuff. Especially if the tank that fires it is larger than its peers, but weighs less, but the armor and survivability is still better than the smaller tanks and the heavier tanks.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Megamissen posted:

You have to take 10mil to produce this as a study then offer to sell them drop shipped quadrotors and laser pens for a billion

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Megamissen posted:

I mean the HIMARS already exist; it just is kind of difficult/wasteful to hit a tank with it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've never understood the whole Russian hate thing. Most Russians are nice people with a hosed up government, same as Americans.

its war, we're the enemy, sadly its how it generally goes

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

Until a new/old enemy pops up, and they are also subhumans that have to crushed at any cost to save civilization. There always has to be someone.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I understand people from Ukraine hating everyone in Russia circumstances being what they are, and I understand westerners hating the Russian government / army, but I don't get how anyone who isn't a victim in this first hand can blame the average Russian person for what's going on.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I understand people from Ukraine hating everyone in Russia circumstances being what they are, and I understand westerners hating the Russian government / army, but I don't get how anyone who isn't a victim in this first hand can blame the average Russian person for what's going on.

I think there was some attempt at that early on, but once the anti-war protests died down, there was no “saving” the Russian people who now deserved their fate.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

You ain't my enemy, goon.

Unironically, No War but Class War

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Starsfan posted:

There is now a group of people you can openly hate without social consequences, so trash people jump on the bandwagon immediately

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
like those psychos in GBS who openly jerk off to people dying because they are now allowed to. Human garbage

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Maybe Tony was right you guys

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Poppers posted:

Maybe Tony was right you guys

he had some ideas

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

no war but class war, however Israeli and Finnish goons on a case by case basis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

no war but class war

That's right. I'm sure there are loads of noble orc paladins and clerics out there, we should be focusing on the rogues and warlocks in our own societies first

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
From my experience most people believe they're not "against the people" in these sorts of situations, but in practice, and when it comes down to the things that actually matter, they get in line with the party line. Often they have little choice, since going against the narrative is enough to put a target on your back unless its a safe place. Losing your job or reputation isn't something easy to recover from for the sake of strangers across the world.

Going through this war has convinced me that say, when the Japanese camps happened or the systematic racism against middle eastern people, many understood.... but they did them anyway. They rolled with it until, a quarter of a century later, academics write books about how it was actually bad, some half important politician apologizes without an actual apology, and during evening conversations over wine people joke about the bad racist times. Except it will all happen again. They themselves would do it under the same circumstances.

My apathy here is because I don't really blame the people that do this, though their ignorance and racism still frustrates the hell out of me. It's a tall order to stand up to injustice when its systematized. I have a new found sympathy for people who have lived with this for their entire lives and can't hide in plain sight.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Slavvy posted:

That's right. I'm sure there are loads of noble orc paladins and clerics out there, we should be focusing on the rogues and warlocks in our own societies first

Are you calling Russians orcs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

From my experience most people believe they're not "against the people" in these sorts of situations, but in practice, and when it comes down to the things that actually matter, they get in line with the party line. Often they have little choice, since going against the narrative is enough to put a target on your back unless its a safe place. Losing your job or reputation isn't something easy to recover from for the sake of strangers across the world.

Going through this war has convinced me that say, when the Japanese camps happened or the systematic racism against middle eastern people, many understood.... but they did them anyway. They rolled with it until, a quarter of a century later, academics write books about how it was actually bad, some half important politician apologizes without an actual apology, and during evening conversations over wine people joke about the bad racist times. Except it will all happen again. They themselves would do it under the same circumstances.

My apathy here is because I don't really blame the people that do this, though their ignorance and racism still frustrates the hell out of me. It's a tall order to stand up to injustice when its systematized. I have a new found sympathy for people who have lived with this for their entire lives and can't hide in plain sight.
Think this falls under the "Banality of Evil" thesis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

Ukraine's destiny is to be strong. To be a free part of a free world.

Imagine this line being muttered by a certain man in a room by himself, a desperate haunted look in his eyes, as he feverishly does another line of nose flour off his polished wooden desk.

Slava cocania.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DancingShade posted:

Imagine this line being muttered by a certain man in a room by himself, a desperate haunted look in his eyes, as he feverishly does another line of nose flour off his polished wooden desk.

Slava cocania.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BULBASAUR posted:

Where I live we've got a lot of Russian and Ukrainian immigrants and the unspoken agreement is that we just don't talk about the war unless it's about someone's family members moving to this or that place. One of my Ukrainian friends has immediate family who moved to Warsaw for the duration except for her mom who's a doctor and stayed because she's a GP and couldn't abandon her patients. And I have Russian friends whose relatives are sitting out the war in Yerevan and others who took jobs in Baku. Regardless of nationality all the stories are about people trying to get the hell out of the way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Poppers posted:

Are you calling Russians orcs

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zelenskyy is a fiend

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nonsense posted: