Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

Did an experiment this week on my "Best Meta/Guitar Riffs every year since I was born" series (where my friends pick the riffs) and recorded EVERYTHING on the neck pickup to see ... what would happen. Or if it would make it less clean/crisp/heavy or whatever. Turns out it works just fine for 90s bullshit.

Tone comes from your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GLGLxi8g4

(let me know if it's not cool to post your own videos, I try not to but I thought this one was fun due to the aforementioned)

you are allowed to post your own video, but the catch is you have to help me learn how to also make recordings that sound that good. is there like a button i press in reaper that makes it good

(Sick vid)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Show starts in 16 min

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
hitting the cymbal to scrape the paint off the wall

awesome set up

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

So one thing I figured out pretty late is, you know how you can do a pinch harmonic by using your pick and finger meat in rapid succession, well you can also add as little or as much of those harmonics as you want with practice. So one of the things I do with my picking is vary those harmonics in a way I find sounds cool and then I also move the location of the pick forward and backward to also alter the tonality so the end result with those two techniques is a sort of "talking" sound that I think is really musical and cool.

But I have no idea what these things are called and have trouble describing it, even now. Help.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
like forward and backward on the string? I guess i'd call that hitting different harmonic nodes cuz they're pretty clustered by your picking hand

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

muike posted:

like forward and backward on the string? I guess i'd call that hitting different harmonic nodes cuz they're pretty clustered by your picking hand

yea that! ok that makes sense. Specifically, on a Les Paul, I'll pick just behind the neck pickup and then move forward a bit and then back again all while varying the pinch harmonics.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the further you move up the string the closer harmonic nodes get, like how the 4th fret harmonic and 5th fret sound insanely different

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
jack pearson gets sounds like that almost like a wah

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

muike posted:

hitting the cymbal to scrape the paint off the wall

awesome set up

So much work to setup and tear down, lmao why do I do this

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

So one thing I figured out pretty late is, you know how you can do a pinch harmonic by using your pick and finger meat in rapid succession, well you can also add as little or as much of those harmonics as you want with practice. So one of the things I do with my picking is vary those harmonics in a way I find sounds cool and then I also move the location of the pick forward and backward to also alter the tonality so the end result with those two techniques is a sort of "talking" sound that I think is really musical and cool.

But I have no idea what these things are called and have trouble describing it, even now. Help.
Pinch harmonics!
Artificial harmonics created by lightly touching the string with your picking finger or thumb.

See also: Billy Gibbons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Harton posted:

So much work to setup and tear down, lmao why do I do this

The stage crew for Dreamsonic doing all sorts of poo poo between sets last night was completely nuts. Fifteen minutes of turnaround time to tear down Animals as Leaders' stage setup and get Devin Townsend's into place, then 20 minutes to tear down Devin Townsend's and get Dream Theater's into place. Then like, two minutes between the end of Dream Theater's set and the encore to get some more gear back on stage.

loving amazing work by those folks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

Pinch harmonics!
Artificial harmonics created by lightly touching the string with your picking finger or thumb.

See also: Billy Gibbons.

Cool thank you! Makes sense but I always associated the term with only the full-on zakk wylde squealies thus my confusion.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

The stage crew for Dreamsonic doing all sorts of poo poo between sets last night was completely nuts. Fifteen minutes of turnaround time to tear down Animals as Leaders' stage setup and get Devin Townsend's into place, then 20 minutes to tear down Devin Townsend's and get Dream Theater's into place. Then like, two minutes between the end of Dream Theater's set and the encore to get some more gear back on stage.

loving amazing work by those folks.

So much work

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pics from last night

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Bro I am happy for you! Do it. Just do it and don't ask why. :)

I have a festival coming up next month, I'll post a trip report.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

Bro I am happy for you! Do it. Just do it and don't ask why. :)

I have a festival coming up next month, I'll post a trip report.

Awesome!

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

you are allowed to post your own video, but the catch is you have to help me learn how to also make recordings that sound that good. is there like a button i press in reaper that makes it good

(Sick vid)

Well thank you, I appreciate the compliment! My process on Mac/Logic is:

* I go on Songsterr (or anywhere you can get midi/guitar pro files) download the songs, open in TuxGuitar, export to midi, open in Logic

* Edit all the riffs exactly how I want them in their individual project (I'll often play a verse from after the intro, but then the chorus from the end of the song because it's bigger or more fun or whatever). Remove all of the automation and midi events from the tracks so that everything is flat panning and volume wise and there won't be any surprises

* Paste and arrange all the riffs into a master project file, do the tempo mapping, play through everything and make sure that's the arrangement I want

* I'm using the Get Good Drums Modern Metal pack, so I merge all of the drum sections into 1 solid midi track and switch the default Logic Drummer to GGD. Often I'll have to remap a few things depending on the song, since my pack doesn't have "clap" or things like that, but it's a quick process to see what's not firing

* I usually play bass, but on this video I didn't simply because I was running out of time, so that's just straight midi, but usually I'm using Parallax by Neural DSP on my bass DI because it allows you to process Low/Mid/Highs all in one track / add distortion individually, etc. Really simple plugin

* Add my bass DI track (Parallax) and Left/Right/Center DI guitar tracks (Neural DSP Plugins, normally Petrucci nowadays), all coming from my Scarlett Solo

* This is usually Day 1 for me, and if I have time I'll start learning how to actually play the songs

* Day 2 I'll continue or start learning the songs and just sort of jam on them as much as I can to try to get the vibe down

* Day 3 I'll do a test recording of each of the songs. If they're simple/don't require many takes I'll just keep my demo take for the final. But doing the rough recordings really highlights what you DIDN'T learn or what you need to work on, so I like to do them so I know for sure what I need to spend my time practicing

* Day 4 I'll do the real recordings and any punch-ins or cleanup. EQ the guitars/bass, do as much mixing as I can before I give up because I think everything I do sounds like poo poo and then decide it's good enough

* Day 5 I rehearse for the video for about a half hour to make sure I've got everything, then my wife sets up our phones on tripods and/or a gimbal, gets the lighting right, and records everything for me (she's great)

* Day 6 I edit the video 3 times (16:9 for Facebook/YouTube, 1:1 for Instagram, 9:16 for TikTok) and depending on the timing I'll either post them or hang on to them for a few days and post

* Day 7 I start working on the next year (hopefully I'm on schedule (I'm not)).

Sorry I know that was :words: but I'm having so much fun with this new project because it's making me actually play with a purpose / keep the brain problems away. Here's a screenshot of that video's project file, for context:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
One thing that does suck about my little project is that what I'm most interested in now is learning how to get better at mixing, but I'm spending so little time on that because of the schedule I'm trying to keep, I don't know when I ever will.

Plus I've watched hundreds of hours of metal mixing tutorials, and I'm still completely clueless how to take my mixes from what they sound like to what all of the cool dudes on the internet are putting out ... so I wouldn't even know where to start.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
harton do you still have that beefin buddy guy polkadot strat

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

harton do you still have that beefin buddy guy polkadot strat

Hell yeah but he ain’t getting much love lately

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Folks, does anyone have a Yamaha THR5 or 10, *and* have the ability to scan & 3D print an object? I bought a used THR10 and it is wonderful, but the previous owner didn't have the battery cover. If someone could 3D print me a replacement, I would pay you for your trouble. <3

:flashfap:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/baritone-guitars/products/ffja-electric-guitars-cream-color-cm

200 dollar long guitars in stock for those in the US. I ordered one, I'm hoping it'll be better than the last cheap guitar I bought

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

After only playing my archtop for the past 3 months I got it in my head that now I’m going to convert all my Strat floating trems to also be set up for flat wound 11’s and then I went to guitar center and remembered how much a pack of flat wound 11’s costs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Need some fingering advice.

We’re following this version of the Malagueña, and I can’t figure out the right fingering for measures 10~16. It seems like it’s moving between the open E and an F chord on the top four strings, but I find switching between the two to be super awkward. It’s especially bad with the high D in the second string, cause I can’t just bullshit it by sliding up a half step and taking off my first finger.

What’s the right way to play these measures?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/baritone-guitars/products/ffja-electric-guitars-cream-color-cm

200 dollar long guitars in stock for those in the US. I ordered one, I'm hoping it'll be better than the last cheap guitar I bought

Had one, liked it, but like the Squier 27" Tele Baritones more. My bad shoulder did not agree with the 30" scale length.

They do have a 27" SSH Tele Baritone as well
https://guitarsgarden.com/products/baritone-fftl-classic-model-electric-guitars-metallic-gray-color

But you all missed the blue & red paisley Teles. I passed on both, because who wants a blue paisley and the red one should be fricken pink.
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/fftl

There's also new LP DC Special copies
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/ffdc

Two P90 non-cutaway hollow bodies
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/ffhb-guitar

And a B&G Little Sister knock-off
https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/ffls

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Need some fingering advice.

We’re following this version of the Malagueña, and I can’t figure out the right fingering for measures 10~16. It seems like it’s moving between the open E and an F chord on the top four strings, but I find switching between the two to be super awkward. It’s especially bad with the high D in the second string, cause I can’t just bullshit it by sliding up a half step and taking off my first finger.

What’s the right way to play these measures?

I played around with it. I ended up alternating between fingers 1 and 2 on strings 3 (G#) and 4 (E) respectively, and, fingers 1 2 and 3 on strings 2 (C) 3 (A) and 4 (F). I use finger 4 to reach the D, keeping finger 1 in place on the C for security.

The following phrase is the same, except I use finger 3 for the D and finger 1 on the 1st string.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 24, 2023

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

duodenum posted:

Folks, does anyone have a Yamaha THR5 or 10, *and* have the ability to scan & 3D print an object? I bought a used THR10 and it is wonderful, but the previous owner didn't have the battery cover. If someone could 3D print me a replacement, I would pay you for your trouble. <3

What about some gaffer tape? Probably good enough even if you are throwing the little amp around.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

fuckin owns man

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Randy Rhoads or Dusty Rhodes, you decide

e: oh buddy guy, lol

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
SUPER QUICK QUESTION.

I want to experiment with all the pickups. 'Cos I'm a nerd.

If I bought a Tele routed for HH, can I put a single coil in a humbucker route?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure, you could hollow everything under the pick guard out as long as the screws can still grab something. If the guard itself is cut for hums it's more difficult.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

H13 posted:

SUPER QUICK QUESTION.

I want to experiment with all the pickups. 'Cos I'm a nerd.

If I bought a Tele routed for HH, can I put a single coil in a humbucker route?

You can get new pickgaurds from Aliexpress for like 9 bucks shipped and they have most of the variants you’d want.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you want it to have classic tele pickups and you want to put them in the pickguard you have, don't. Just get a new guard. If the pickguard you're starting with looks more or less like a regular tele pickguard it should be easy. If it looks like a 70s tele deluxe with the huge guard and the LP style control scheme, I don't know, you might need to custom order one from Warmoth (should be reasonable still).

Alternatively, you could do something silly and use some stuff from here:
https://www.guitarfetish.com/Adapter-Rings-Truss-Rod-Covers_c_654.html

You could get the adapters for tele pickups but unless the bridge pickup is screwed into a big metal bridge it's not going to sound exactly right. I'd recommend in that case using the adapter rings for strat pickups and putting those in. Strat bridge and neck pickups in a tele was good enough for Prince, it should be good enough for any of us.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

fuckin owns man

Now that I have an actual strat I realize how little this thing sounds like a strat with those hot rails in it. It’s a filthy guitar and really shines with high gain. Eventually I would like to have both at shows but then I gotta lug more equipment so……

Same story with the acoustic, I wanna bring it for a song or two and then I’m just like….I don’t feel like carrying this thing.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
Tried that Vintera Modified Jazzmaster I mentioned a few pages back, didn't really gel with it. The fingerboard edges were abrupt and sharp, the pao ferro was kind of porous where it joined the maple and gave it a slightly toy-like vibe. The pushed-forward trem maybe bothered me more than I expected, it didn't feel as chimey as other jazzmasters I've tried and the bridge would definitely have needed replacing.

I'm wondering if I should investigate the vintage-accurate version of the same line or give up on them and try another angle. I've heard that if you can get hold of a Squire Vintage Modified JM it's a good base for modding, in fact someone's selling a modded version near me that I could go check out. Sadly they sanded off the Squier logo which really bugs me, perhaps irrationally, but still. Squiers are cool, just own it, man. I assume you can probably get a waterslide for most models from somewhere.

Looks pretty decent at first glance, has Duncan Antiquity pickups in it. Anyone have a Vintage Modified?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tommy the Newt posted:

Tried that Vintera Modified Jazzmaster I mentioned a few pages back, didn't really gel with it. The fingerboard edges were abrupt and sharp, the pao ferro was kind of porous where it joined the maple and gave it a slightly toy-like vibe. The pushed-forward trem maybe bothered me more than I expected, it didn't feel as chimey as other jazzmasters I've tried and the bridge would definitely have needed replacing.

I'm wondering if I should investigate the vintage-accurate version of the same line or give up on them and try another angle. I've heard that if you can get hold of a Squire Vintage Modified JM it's a good base for modding, in fact someone's selling a modded version near me that I could go check out. Sadly they sanded off the Squier logo which really bugs me, perhaps irrationally, but still. Squiers are cool, just own it, man. I assume you can probably get a waterslide for most models from somewhere.

Looks pretty decent at first glance, has Duncan Antiquity pickups in it. Anyone have a Vintage Modified?

That's a good buy if it's not priced high. Has had a Staytrem bridge and Fender trem upgrade, at minimum. Antiquities are a couple hundred bucks extra and with it being VM it will have rosewood board.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheMightyBoops posted:

You can get new pickgaurds from Aliexpress for like 9 bucks shipped and they have most of the variants you’d want.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

'Cos then I can just swap out either the S\S pickguard with the H\H pickguard depending on what I'm trying out.

Does anybody know if Harley Benton sell pickguards? Or what sort of after-market pickguard would fit something like this?

https://harleybenton.com/product/te-90flt-orange-blast/

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

darkwasthenight posted:

That's a good buy if it's not priced high. Has had a Staytrem bridge and Fender trem upgrade, at minimum. Antiquities are a couple hundred bucks extra and with it being VM it will have rosewood board.

They're asking 700 euros for it (770 USD?) which initially seemed a bit pricey to me for a squier, but they've also added a vintage correct wiring harness from Mojo UK and yeah the staytrem stuff, so maybe it's not too outrageous. I see a stock Vintage Modified on Reverb for 650 so I assume word got around that they're good platforms. Still a significant sum for me, especially as it enters into Fender Mex money, but like I said I've not seen a Mex JM I wouldn't need to work on pretty heavily yet so... Hmmm. I'll go try it at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tommy the Newt posted:

They're asking 700 euros for it (770 USD?) which initially seemed a bit pricey to me for a squier, but they've also added a vintage correct wiring harness from Mojo UK and yeah the staytrem stuff, so maybe it's not too outrageous. I see a stock Vintage Modified on Reverb for 650 so I assume word got around that they're good platforms. Still a significant sum for me, especially as it enters into Fender Mex money, but like I said I've not seen a Mex JM I wouldn't need to work on pretty heavily yet so... Hmmm. I'll go try it at least.

Bit steep but you could probably get 100 for the bridge and 150 for the pickups sold individually. The harness doesn't swing it much either way but Mojo do good work.