Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

Let's see some more culture war crap

solution: the movie starts with a b-plot following japanese women in hiroshima mistreating korean slaves, all of whom get blown up in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

La Louve Rouge posted:

Oppenheimer is a 'flick'.' Films have the Joker in them.

I have become the joker

-oppenheimer

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i watched the goat kelly reichardt’s SHOWING UP the other day and while i loved it and it's prob my movie of the year so far, i was not see my non artistic self represented in any of the characters, so i think i may have actually hated it?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MassTran posted:

That's a devastating blend of hyper-individualism and either liberal academic social justice or the conservative reaction to it depending on the context. Drives me loving bonkers

Tbh I feel like a lot of the time the latter is just a justification for the former. You saw the wrong kind of butt, and that makes you angry, because the film's makers TRICKED you into it, obviously because they are in league with your political opponents

MassTran
Feb 27, 2015

Would not surprise me!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mawarannahr posted:

Wakendoll Forever

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

👏 oppenheimHER 👏 not 👏 oppenheimHIM 👏

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Film discourse sucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Film discourse sucks
the last jedi is the best star wars movie. agree/disagree?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xaris posted:

the last jedi is the best star wars movie. agree/disagree?

I will literally flay the flesh from your bones (actionable)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

psycho poo poo from sam altman and this responder

https://twitter.com/clemmihai/status/1682813644701138946

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

More representation for female doomsday device makers, please and thank you.

This is like that shitlib “we need more female CEOs at Lockheed” or “more black private prison owners”.

Oppenheimer is not that film if you want to revel in the awesome power physics has wrought us during a global war.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/clemmihai/status/1682813644701138946?t=8nM6TPwB3uW_Ozvowvpm8w&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/ScratchAE__/status/1682735274772529152?t=oLP8R4PvXDK2_zltHC5P4w&s=19

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

MassTran posted:

That's a devastating blend of hyper-individualism and either liberal academic social justice or the conservative reaction to it depending on the context. Drives me loving bonkers

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

galagazombie posted:

The ultimate movie will simply be an electrical wire directly stimulating your brains pleasure centers. Every demographic loves it equally.

an executives dream

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I simply cannot believe the sheer density of takes

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1682821062277341189?t=JaechcDxM0dD2Bx3Obp58Q&s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I suppose it was inevitable that the barbenheimer publicity would lead to the most obnoxious twitter takes yet

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lol

some actual queer trans women got attacked by "cishet" white male computer touching goons for saying barbie was not good. seems like the perfect movie for straight upper class computer touchers who consider themselves woke to pretend like they're good people

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Instead of watching Barbie, I will simply watch more Studio Ghibli movies in my local theater.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

McCloud posted:

I suppose it was inevitable that the barbenheimer publicity would lead to the most obnoxious twitter takes yet

boy movie or girl movie. choose or die.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Looks white supremacist more than anything.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Whirling posted:

Instead of watching Barbie, I will simply watch more Studio Ghibli movies in my local theater.

im watching the x-files. it's fun

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

oppenheimer was really well made and acted but i dunno if i actually liked it. idk how to articulate why i didnt like it though, maybe because it was hard to follow what was happening because it kept jumping around in time but I don't think that necessarily bothered me

also it continues the problem of being too loving loud and hard to hear the actors in certain scenes

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

oppenheimer was really well made and acted but i dunno if i actually liked it

also it continues the problem of being too loving loud and hard to hear the actors in certain scenes

is there anything that really makes use of a big screen or would it be just as good on a small screen?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hollywood movie critics are widely praising "Barbie" as the most "unwavering feminist summer blockbuster ever to exist," giving the new film particular adoration for its messaging around "the patriarchy" and gender roles.

The film, starring Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, boasts a strong 89% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes, with many reviewers surprised by Director Greta Gerwig's willingness to engage in extensive social commentary.

"Once an equal parts fascinating and controversial Mattel toy, both loved and hated—a tiny-waisted, vacuously smiling, slender doll designed like a straight-male fantasy—is now the complicated feminist symbol of empowerment in Gerwig's hands," The Wrap wrote. "But we aren't talking about an empty you-go-girl kind of empowerment here. That would be too simple-minded for Gerwig, whose articulate and accessible feminism has always been fiercely multifaceted and complex."

"Barbie is both a master's thesis on feminism and an Austin Powers-esque romp," The Globe and Mail noted.

TheWrap also stated that the movie "delivers a fierce feminist statement dressed in pink," while The Globe and Mail declared the film "the most captivating and unwaveringly feminist summer blockbuster ever to exist."

Meanwhile, Indiewire praised the film's "outside the box" and "funny, feminist fantasia" and singled out Gosling's performance of "newfound male rage" and "patriarchal power" as a particular highlight.

Over at The Playlist, writer Marshall Shaffer lauded the film for inverting and gender-flipping the Bible's infamous Garden of Eden parable.

"Just as the term' woman' derived from its relationship to 'man,' Barbie's male counterpart was only '& Ken' – never on his own. It's thus Ken, tempted by the forbidden fruit rendered as patriarchal ideology, who strays and spoils Barbie Land," Shaffer said.

Polygon commended the film's ability to peel back "America's masculine anxieties of the moment."

According to the review, "reality" in the new movie is stuffed with recognizable tropes, including "sexist, catcalling construction workers; fist-pumping gym bros; and well-heeled white-collar executives who helpfully explain how the patriarchy works."

"The Barbie movie finds all the fun in laughing at the men's rights movement," the writer Maddy Myers announced. "It's a takedown of toxic masculinity tied up with a pretty pink wrapper."

Mike Ryan, a writer for Uproxx, said that he laughed out loud at least ten times while watching the movie and was shocked by the level of social commentary ingrained in the film.

"I can't believe Gerwig got away with this. And that's not to say there's no love for this character – there obviously is – but it's not often we get this amount of social commentary squeezed directly from the company that licensed the movie," he wrote.

Another review from The Independent revealed the movie also features a conversation between characters that "neatly sums up one of the great illusions of capitalism—the creations exist independently from those that created them."

However, some reviewers panned the film's inclusion of political and feminist messaging.

On Twitter, Christian Toto, host of The Hollywood in Toto Podcast, called the new film a "two-hour woke-a-thon" filled with "feminist lectures" and "nuclear-level rage" against men.

In a comment to Fox News Digital, Toto said "The Warner Bros. marketing team did a magnificent job hiding the film's bracing feminism and woke platitudes from movie goers. The trailers and various social media clips were mostly apolitical, focusing on lighthearted jokes, glamour and a love for the legacy doll. They knew pushing the film's cultural agenda would make many movie goers less eager to see it. That kind of storytelling does have an audience, but it's far smaller than many realize, and it wouldn't turn the film into a blockbuster."

Discussing the film's box office potential, he added that it might take a few weeks before audiences "realize the bait-and-switch marketing effort to camouflage the film's true spirit."

The Huffington Post appeared lukewarm on the film, writing that while Barbie "really wants to be feminist," it sometimes buckles under the weight of audience and corporate expectations.

The review suggests that perhaps the film is not feminist enough, pointing out the vast array of male producers for the film and calling the movies attempt at diversity "cursory."

"As great as it is to see Barbies and Kens played by Black, brown, Asian and/or queer actors, as well as those that use wheelchairs, this remains Stereotypical Barbie's world. It's her story, her boyfriend, her activation and her feminist motives, with other characters merely sprinkled throughout for deliriously funny one-liners and necessary assists," Candice Frederick wrote.

The film's cast and crew have not been shy about the film's feminist underpinnings.

Gerwig recently told Australia's ABC News that Barbie is "most certainly a feminist film."

Comedian and actress Kate McKinnon, who plays "Weird Barbie" in the film, said the movie's script examines how gender roles "deny people half their humanity."

"Barbie" star Simu Liu said he was excited to see how the new "Barbie" film challenges heteronormative ideas about gender.

Robbie, speaking to the character of Barbie, said she believes the infamous pink doll is actually "a level up" from feminists, noting that in "Barbieland," the women hold power over the Kens when the film begins.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

is there anything that really makes use of a big screen or would it be just as good on a small screen?

the punchiness of how loud and big it was in theater naturally lent itself well to a movie about a nuclear bomb

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

tristeham posted:

im watching the x-files. it's fun

excellent choice. whats been the best episode so far

i should rewatch em to join the train. wonder if ait ever finished it

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i will establish a baseline here: does barbie look directly at the camera and say that abortion is a fundamental human right. if not why not.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i love that weird period in the early-mid 90s that was kinda this apolitical conspiracy-brained black helicopter paranoia with the Art Bell and stuff taking off. it predates even the internet age

even though the internet allows this kinda thing to congeal and radicalize into increasing insanity, and there's certainly still a sect of it existing in 2023, it doesn't feel quite the same anymore.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Xaris posted:

excellent choice. whats been the best episode so far

i should rewatch em to join the train. wonder if ait ever finished it

i'm still at the first season. i really liked "ice", the one with the liver eating creep and the mythos episodes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/growing_daniel/status/1682635846728712193?t=tasTR8-jBvqZLKKAJ2auZA&s=19

https://twitter.com/GraceRandolph/status/1682782662480613377?t=HqczgnQJWcTa4zEqgfkAOQ&s=19

People are being real loving dumb about this movie that's very straightforward

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why is this movie called "Oppenheimer" spending so much time focusing on this Oppenheimer guy??? I just wanted to hear how awesome nuclear explosions are for 3 hours

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Should have been the Marvelesqe post-credit scene imHo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mike the TV posted:

Should have been the Marvelesqe post-credit scene imHo

It was very funny for the movie to namedrop JFK like he was a Marvel post credits reveal

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Xaris posted:

seems like the perfect movie for straight upper class computer touchers who consider themselves woke to pretend like they're good people

it’s gonna have a huge opening weekend and getting very positive audience scores, i don’t think it’s only gonna resonate/be well liked by that class, tho it may be a reflection of their views

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I have a friend who watched shin Godzilla and complained that there was too much emphasis on the humans

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So it looks like the right-wing culture war appraisal of the Barbie movie as "super woke" and "relentlessly feminist" etc was actually fairly accurate, except for the part where they seem to think Barbie is supposed to be a tradwife, and also they can't really distinguish between white feminism and otherwise

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tenet was so bad most people didn't realize it was another one of Nolan's Statements On The Creative Process, a la Inception, down to the main white guy being Nolan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Takes are flying fast and furious out here

https://twitter.com/_madmacs__/status/1682514934205218816?t=4_u3DBzeXmIfogEKxHA_-w&s=19

https://twitter.com/MediaversityRev/status/1681534717043277824?t=cRh5ZgN0nrn0Ymc6n-EnwA&s=19

(lol at the added context on this one)