Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Art book arrives today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Went on a wiki dive and I hadn't realized what makes Spider-Punk such a natural mentor for Miles: Hobie Brown is the only Spider-Man who knows what it's like when all your doppelgangers are The Prowler.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I do have one sort of criticism of what was a great film and I guess it’s a little moot since it won’t impact rewatches. But

Did anyone else who knew it was a part 1 feel like that messed with the pacing of the last 20 or so minutes? From basically the time they got on the train till the actual ending I was sitting there expecting the “to be continued” to drop and it took me a little out of the breakneck final act. When I watch it again that won’t be a problem and I’ll be able to enjoy it a bit more but I wasn’t sure if this was just me or if other people felt the same way.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I paid absolutely no attention to things before it came out, so I didn't know it got split into a two-parter. While I didn't give it much thought if someone had asked me if there would be three spider-verse movies I'd probably go with "it's likely" so I was kind of expecting the movie to not really resolve.. But the immediate "to be continued" was a bit out of left field for me.

I thought things were going to come to a soft conclusion with Miles and Mom and maybe Gwen talking or something like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I do have one sort of criticism of what was a great film and I guess it’s a little moot since it won’t impact rewatches. But

Did anyone else who knew it was a part 1 feel like that messed with the pacing of the last 20 or so minutes? From basically the time they got on the train till the actual ending I was sitting there expecting the “to be continued” to drop and it took me a little out of the breakneck final act. When I watch it again that won’t be a problem and I’ll be able to enjoy it a bit more but I wasn’t sure if this was just me or if other people felt the same way.

I knew it was a part 1, but the first time I watched, I had no sense of how much time was passing. It all rocketed by so quickly I didn't realise when the end was approaching at all. It wasn't until the 2nd time I saw it that I started to appreciate when things happen, and how long they take to get there. Miles doesn't actually show up in his own movie until 20 minutes in! They don't get to the Spider Society until 2/3rds of the way through! For a film 2 hours and 20 mins long, it really doesn't feel it at all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The guitar lick is so obviously the spider-man theme i don't understand why this needed explanation

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I mean I never really watched spiderman stuff so wasn't ingrained enough with the theme to pick it out so I appreciate the reveal tweet

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Vegetable posted:

The guitar lick is so obviously the spider-man theme i don't understand why this needed explanation

I didn't notice it at all.

But then, I generally don't notice music in movies anyway.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I noticed the lick but just thought of the Madonna song, which I guess samples the Spider-Man song anyway. But I never watched the old cartoon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I noticed it straight away and didn't think it was meant to be an easter egg, but for some reason I often notice music cues like that.

I guess I've been sitting next to PA speakers at a mixing board for twenty fuckin' years, so something was bound to stick.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just saw across the spider-verse today.

Wow, that was a great movie. The first one started slow then got really good, this was a great movie from start to finish. Blew away the original, which was already a great movie. Even when the jokes don't land, there's always a new one around the corner and they never try to hang a moment on any of them. They really outdid themselves with the writing on this thing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I noticed the lick but just thought of the Madonna song, which I guess samples the Spider-Man song anyway. But I never watched the old cartoon.

Madonna song? I’m guessing you mean Hung Up, which samples ABBA’s Gimme Gimme Gimme.

https://youtu.be/XEjLoHdbVeE

ABBA was the first thing it reminded me of, so much that I didn’t catch the spiderman theme revision.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
More soundtrack stuff I don't think has been posted about here yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ggXdn8L1tU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haven’t seen this posted and god drat this rules

https://twitter.com/nicktyson/status/1681150263602847745?s=61&t=fWsm-upldseXptBaVlet9Q

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, that’s gorgeous and I hope they find some way to incorporate it into Beyond. “My name… is Miles G. Morales, and for the last year and 4 months, I’ve been the vigilante known as The Prowler.”

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Goddamn even in this half finished state it’s gorgeous

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pfft, Wiles.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Dieter Parker

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

:same:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wile E Smorales

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kilometres Morales

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

YggiDee posted:

Kilometres Morales

I think you mean Kilometres Immorales.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kilometres Ethiques

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think you mean Kilometres Immorales.

I'm feeling weirdly called out here.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gnome de plume posted:

Dieter Parker

German guy bitten by a radioactive spider and grew extra arms so uses them to be an amazing synth pop artist.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

German guy bitten by a radioactive spider and grew extra arms so uses them to be an amazing synth pop artist. be more efficient at work related activities.

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
I really liked this movie, the story, visuals, soundtrack everything!

After watching it, I tried to consume as many essays and analysis of the movie that I could find. So far the best have been from Schnee, a youtuber who makes fiction analysis videos. Over the last month he has posted three videos about "Across the Spider-verse" that I think really captures why the writing, characters and themes, work so well in the animated Spider-verse movies.

Why does SPIDER-MAN + MULTIVERSE work so well?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3PrcXUkQJY

Spider-Verse 2's Most WELL WRITTEN Scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rba8jskPH28

The Heartbreaking Reality of GWENSHIPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKXFBdg490

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Surprising absolutely no one

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1685032889539268610?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1685032889539268610?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Completely expected due to the strikes, but still, drat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The animators were already saying it was never going to be next year, even before the strike.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

it was too good to be true, even without the strike.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm switching up, I don't just think it's not going to be delayed I think it's going to be early

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm switching up, I don't just think it's not going to be delayed I think it's going to be early
Lol

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Didn’t the movie say next March or something at the end? I thought that was a little presumptuous to begin with.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Edited home release of Across the Spider-verse adds new ending title cards that read:

Rio Never Remarried

Peter and MJ have four daughters and will celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary in June.

Miles Morales Never Returned Home

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Miles now lives happily with his husband Hobie on Earth-138

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think that’s illegal

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
That’s what makes it punk, yah?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Honestly you could tell me Hobie is anywhere between the age of 17 and 65 and I would accept it and nod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just saw it. The callback to “HE TOOK A BAGEL” clinched it as a 5/5 early on. Great fun.