Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont know man i gave up on that game. go watch someone stream it when the fan tl drops or something it's funnier to watch someone else play it than to play it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh i was wrong, volume 1 isn't two hours long. it's three scenarios per volume. was actually curious how they were going to fit it all together since they note there's 12 heroes but there's only seven volumes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked this scene from el dorado gate so i did some quick and dirty subtitles for it

https://files.catbox.moe/83tdl0.mp4

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Colonel posted:

i played the japanese ps1 version cause there's no slowdown fix for the japanese version of wotl lol

Mobile has has a slowdown fix for years now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Mobile has has a slowdown fix for years now.

She mentioned before that no one ever patched the JP version, which has the optional visual novel stuff that never got localized even on the PSP version iirc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yes i know the mobile version doesnt have the slowdown. i didnt want to play the mobile version of final fantasy tactics, i dont like emulating android games and i did not want to play it on my phone. this is why i would like for there to be a new release of war of the lions, on modern systems

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Isn't the mobile "fix" something incredibly silly like the game fast forwarding to compensate for the slowdown or was someone pulling my leg

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FFTA was better than FFT.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FFTA was better than FFT.

FFTA was pretty mid, but it also doesn't have the Weigraf fight so I am forced to concur with this opinion.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FFTA2 is the best cause the writing no longer had to make concessions that the player can kill off a named npc at anytime.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

FFTA2 also had dragon girls.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
FFTA2 has the Bonga Bugle questline so it's definitely the best

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

FFTA2 also had dragon girls.

Gria were such a good class. I just wish they were around quicker and their jobs (I say this but I literally never used Geomancer till I had no other options) weren't over halfway into the plot's progression till you unlocked it. Both FFT sequel games are why I wish Ivalice had more representation in spinoffs. It's full of so many various races of playable characters that I don't mind that it has no cactaurs in it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
FFTA2 is probably the last FF title that let you have weird little freaks in your party.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finding that el dorado gate's biggest problem is how heavily reliant it is on a gear and elemental triangle system. i guess it's to eliminate any idea of having to grind but it also doesn't give you a lot of zenny so gear gets pricy and you need gear of all three elements for any situation if you want to not get sucker punched to death, you're meant to cover that with cheaper options like gear fusion but gear fusion isn't much less expensive, and it means whenever you have trouble telling what an enemy's element actually is you're just a few steps from getting one two punched into a game over. the final boss of kanan's chapter is a massive difficulty spike because i literally just cant tell what his element is, he's red but water crystals don't really do anything and water-aspected gear doesn't reduce his damage output, i'm low on recovers and he pounds you to death in just a few turns. it forces you to engage with the mechanics more that you cant outlevel them i guess but it also means when the mechanics aren't really being conveyed clearly or, you just can't engage with them that much, like in gomez's chapter since gomez can't fuse crystals together very well and thus can't perform the attacks that are meant to clear trash fights easily, the game gets exponentially harder. at least this time they actually gave an opportunity to save right before and not like ten minutes before

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 22, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
do love though how it's got all these different really pretty magical attack animations and bits like how when you get to shrine of the dark gods and open the front door, it's got this elaborate sprite animation of a bunch of spooky ghost faces sticking out. game is very much like the ps1 breath of fires in that it's got a lot of odd design issues and is a bit weak in conveying its story sometimes but is really elevated by its weirder narrative concepts and the talents of insanely slick 90s capcom 2d artists and animators, even working off a visibly way lower budget than bof they still pull out some really striking and funny visuals from time to time. the area that suffers is mostly just the dungeons because they're mostly just copying templates around, it's got that legend of mana problem where the art isn't bad but you're seeing the same thing too much so it loses identity a bit and as a result it does mean that dungeon design just does not really exist in any form, the most they try to do is the odd teleporter or conveyor belt puzzle but it's mostly just walking through empty rooms

the most interesting dungeon design idea so far has been how the shrine of the dark gods is premised on a repeating puzzle, but as kanan goes through it rescuing her family members she dons more masks to gain more strength that also take away her senses. so the first segment has a bunch of guys who tell you the puzzle solution outright, the second segment you've lost your voice so they all get annoyed when you won't say anything to them and you have to puzzle it together from their annoyed grumbling, and the last time you've lost your ability to hear entirely so you have to work off visual clues. it's not as nuanced in execution as it sounds and i wish they went a bit further with it but it was a cool idea for marrying the narrative together with the gameplay, just kinda underwhelming in the face of other games that do that idea better like earthbound, which committed to the bit harder in a way that made the sense of loss something you felt more sharply. if el dorado gate built on that in the same ways, like having more of the game audio become silent after you lose your hearing, i think that would've made for a really unique and striking sequence

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 22, 2023

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Countblanc posted:

FFTA2 is probably the last FF title that let you have weird little freaks in your party.

I just wish seeq got more respect. There are maybe five NPC seeqs of note and they're all stupid, evil, and/or greedy. The shark boys are cool!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FFTA2 did disappoint a bit in like, how few classes the Seeq and Gria get and how far into the game they unlock

On the other hand though Mirror Item is such a fun ability. Throw x-potions for massive damage, kill a dude eith a phoenix down, throw a remedy for budget bad breath

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ill die mad about bangaa not being playable in ff14

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

:hai: I'll start the next ff mmo bangaa suicide pact.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Countblanc posted:

Prompto is right there

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sleng Teng posted:

:hai: I'll start the next ff mmo bangaa suicide pact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq5WlHVmnpg

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I had one of the Hymnos songs from Ar Tonelico pop up in my recommends and I was curious if they were worth playing. I think I heard 2's pretty well regarded?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Sinister Rap posted:

I had one of the Hymnos songs from Ar Tonelico pop up in my recommends and I was curious if they were worth playing. I think I heard 2's pretty well regarded?

2 is probably the best one but to be honest I don't think there's any huge reason to rush out to play them aside from the loving banger music. They have some interesting ideas but they're not all that well executed and you have to wade through a lot of sometimes-uncomfortably horny to get there.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

If you're going to play AT2, make sure to get the patch that fixes the game-breaking bug you run into towards the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the way ar tonelico explores sexual topics is interesting but that's the thing really. they're really cool games if you want a weird, kinda messy story about exploring womens' sexuality but, one that has its heart in the right place and is genuinely trying to consider its characters and how and why they feel the ways they do. ar tonelico 2 is the best one mainly because it just kind of is the best at it and does the best job placing its lead women in a role where they actually feel like the party leads and the main character isn't really overtaking them in the plot in any way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bonus points for having pretty fun combat even if replakia was busted as gently caress

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
In terms of gameplay, the first one is a pretty standard RPG with a turn-based battle system. The only different thing in battle is sometimes you need to guard your backline mage (the singer) but this is telegraphed ahead of time. The magic is selected in another menu and the longer it charges up, the stronger it is, but your MP constantly drains.

The second game removes a few of the overworld puzzle-solving magics from the first game, but changes the battle system to a phase-based one where in attack phase you mash your two attack buttons plus a direction for different moves that level up, and in defense phase do timed guards against the enemy attacks to protect your mages. Magic works the same way with a few power up things like dual magic. IMO this game's got the best plot and gameplay of the three.

The third game (now in 3D!) removes all of the overworld puzzle-solving magic, and the battle system is a lovely attempt at an action-based one where your physical attackers doink on the enemies until your magic is charged enough to oneshot everything. Sometimes you have to rush back to the mage to knock an enemy away from her. There's a power up system by timing your attacks to the beat of the music. All the magic spells basically look the same. It's also the weirdest/creepiest as when you power up your mage gets more and more undressed - which is a shame because the actual plot is a great conclusion to the trilogy.

The translations are hit-and-miss with the second game being the worst and the third being the best, though the second has a retranslation patch which also fixes the game-breaking bug at the end of the game. Music, as mentioned, is an utter banger. The world/universe lore is also a banger.

Also consider Ar Nosurge, which is in the same universe though mostly unconnected.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

AT1 is thoroughly Fine at worst, and the big boss fights are real good with the music. It's also got a surprising amount of crafting, basically Atelier-lite. The reyvateils' (song mages) mental landscapes are where things get the most sketchy since they're all girls and of course they're all attracted to the main character, and you're plumbing into the depths of their minds and their insecurities. Also one of them is trapped in an age-regressed (AKA, little girl's) body for a fair chunk of the game, because of course. She gets back to normal before you're on her committed romance path. Those are the biggest story branches, by the by.

AT2, I never got far into. Defending the mage(s) in combat now requires a timed-hit response and I am terrible at timing. I also don't know how extensive the crafting gets. I also haven't bothered with the third game, Ar Tonelico Qoga, because I never owned a PS3. The sketch factor is turned way up, to my knowledge.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I actually forgot about the crafting systems in the games for some reason, probably because it's such a lite version of what Atelier games do (same devs). They are home to some of the funniest conversations in the game, especially in the games where you can pick which girl names the item you create.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Didn't AT3 have personality DLC or was I like half asleep while browsing the PS Store ten years ago

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I think that was for the NPC Harvestasha, and it sort of made sense in context...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

the bonnes

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

drat RIP

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
radia's chapter of el dorado gate is trippy in some real legend of mana ways, honestly have no clear read on what tone the game's going for anymore after being presented with a character whose emotional arc involves her having kleptomania as a result of seeing her dad get publicly executed by being boiled in a big pot of water and her mom abandoning her, and then 10 years later after robbing her dad's grave him appearing as a dancing ghost who steals people's life force because he's angry he didn't get to live to be 100 years old

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's just Tiesel, so that's fine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ar tonelico 2 owns, and is feminist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's just Tiesel, so that's fine.

i dont want tiesel to die for his english voice's sins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also tron's name also starts with a T. faulty logic. now we'll never know who's in the coffin