Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Its really cool how they didn't go the easy way out and have their recreation just be the prop they use later, its actually completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

"Where Silence Has Lease" comes off as TNG's answer to "Corbomite Maneuver" without just being a simple redo of it. The confrontation with an unknown new thing with undefined vast powers, the suicide bluff against what might as well be god. Extended tension and dread, in this case mixed with cosmic horror themes. One of the realest moments of Picard being a hardass here too. I bet they don't teach the kids about that on Captain Picard Day!

I don't think that was a bluff. I think Picard was sincerely going to auto-destruct the ship rather than let Nagilum brutally torture half the crew to death.

Beeftweeter posted:

i remember reading here that they did "naked now" because production was starting without (m)any scripts being finished ...

It was absolutely this. Pre-production was already a mess and they were already way behind when the series started production, so "re-do a TOS episode" was done out of desperation. If Roddenberry hadn't been out of his mind and in charge, we probably wouldn't have gotten The Naked Now.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

TNG did pretty good when it dabbled in horror.

Geordi investigating the mysterious humanoid shadow in the holodeck

Beverly hallucinating a room full of corpses sitting up

Great stuff!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Mike the TV posted:

I loved that scene.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Tonight's double bill: back to back episodes where Data prats about in the holodeck!

Elementary, Dear Data was pretty neat stuff. Expands on a small plot thread I enjoyed about the first big holodeck jaunt in season one: holograms becoming self aware. It was quite poignant how it ended, a well written story, but I guess you'll have to put me down as one of those that doesn't find the holodeck stories quite as exciting. It's a cool concept, I just find it distracts from all that space exploring I come to the show for.

Meanwhile, there's a new hero cruising the space lanes! He's rude! He's crude! He's a real cool dude with lots of 'tude! I know this because Troi awkwardly told me so a couple of minutes into the episode. Yes, it's none other than The Outrageous Okona who, let's face it, is an immediately hatable cock and the way all of the crew moon at him like he's the best thing ever makes me hate them too. He's like if Harry Mudd were inexplicably loved by one and all. He's basically Poochie. Jesus CHRIST, I do not like his antics. And somehow he's not the worst of it! No! That'd be Data's B story where he's back in the holodeck, trying to learn the mystical art of comedy. His tutor? JOE PISCOPO. My god. When his name popped up at the start, I groaned. Within a single scene we get all the desperate flop sweat you'd expect of the man, eyes bulging out of his head and his giant muscly neck bulging out of his tux as he tries to channel Jerry Lewis. Wow. And then Data gets up and joins him and I feel like I'm losing my mind.

There it is, that's the worst TNG episode I've seen so far. If there's worse on the horizon, please warn me. It's not just a comedy episode that's not funny. It's a comedy episode with a side plot about comedy that isn't funny.

The only bright spot is that part where Picard refuses to shake Okona's hand. He looks thoroughly pissed off come the final scene and I was too.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Started watching Voyager this week. I caught some episodes here and there when it was airing, as my dad was a fan, but I’m mostly going in fresh. I’m honestly not hating it so far. Some of the characters are bland but I like The Doctor and Janeway thus far. I just watched Eye of the Needle and it’s a pretty good episode! I enjoyed the Romulan guest star.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I liked the Outrageous Okona! It was funny and the actor playing Okona had enough charisma to be interesting without overpowering everyone.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Beverly hallucinating a room full of corpses sitting up

Great stuff!

The mind control parasites, crewmate in the floor, the random Romulan that wasn't stuck in time, there are other moments that don't immediately spring to mind.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Dash Rendar is a blatant rip-off of Okona. Fight me.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

MuddyFunster posted:

His tutor? JOE PISCOPO. My god. When his name popped up at the start, I groaned. Within a single scene we get all the desperate flop sweat you'd expect of the man, eyes bulging out of his head and his giant muscly neck bulging out of his tux as he tries to channel Jerry Lewis. Wow. And then Data gets up and joins him and I feel like I'm losing my mind.

The strangest thing about using Joe Piscopo is that well known stand-up comic Whoopi Goldberg is right there in the holodeck with Data.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Also it's been a while since I've seen the episode, but isn't the end of that plotline Data learning Joe Piscopo isn't funny and he shouldn't be using him as a role model?

Arivia posted:

I liked the Outrageous Okona! It was funny and the actor playing Okona had enough charisma to be interesting without overpowering everyone.
He was also the Rocketeer!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Meanwhile, there's a new hero cruising the space lanes! He's rude! He's crude! He's a real cool dude with lots of 'tude! I know this because Troi awkwardly told me so a couple of minutes into the episode. Yes, it's none other than The Outrageous Okona who, let's face it, is an immediately hatable cock and the way all of the crew moon at him like he's the best thing ever makes me hate them too. He's like if Harry Mudd were inexplicably loved by one and all. He's basically Poochie. Jesus CHRIST, I do not like his antics.

Fun fact: the actor who played Okona was the runner-up to play Commander Riker. They brought him back in a guest star role as a sort of consolation prize.

Zaroff posted:

The strangest thing about using Joe Piscopo is that well known stand-up comic Whoopi Goldberg is right there in the holodeck with Data.

"Is it just me, or does this 'Hoo-pie' person bear a striking resemblance to Guinan?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hra0I-w3XBY

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Arivia posted:

You know what? That's cool and more power to you. I crossed my arms like a miserable gently caress the moment Troi started smiling dreamily and rambling on about what a *gasp* ROGUE he was. It's not like Billy Campbell's bad (he makes a lovely square jawed chump of a hero in Rocketeer), I just felt like there was too much telling and not enough showing. Aside from him bedding a few ladies (Oh look, Teri Hatcher!), he doesn't really do all that much that's exciting.

Or maybe I really wasn't in the mood for it, I dunno.

Powered Descent posted:

Fun fact: the actor who played Okona was the runner-up to play Commander Riker. They brought him back in a guest star role as a sort of consolation prize.

I love "what if" casting stuff like this.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

Same. Also the comedy scene is great because you have Data copying the guy and realising the holo audience is just programmed to laugh at everything and he realises it was all fake.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

MuddyFunster posted:

Meanwhile, there's a new hero cruising the space lanes! He's rude! He's crude! He's a real cool dude with lots of 'tude! I know this because Troi awkwardly told me so a couple of minutes into the episode. Yes, it's none other than The Outrageous Okona who, let's face it, is an immediately hatable cock and the way all of the crew moon at him like he's the best thing ever makes me hate them too. He's like if Harry Mudd were inexplicably loved by one and all. He's basically Poochie. Jesus CHRIST, I do not like his antics.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

TNG did pretty good when it dabbled in horror.

I think it helped that in TNG it really felt like the ship was traveling through an infinitely large unknown void. A lot of shows make space just feel small bustling neighborhood, TNG made it felt vast and often very empty.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Something TNG did really well in that regard is that they're always coming from something, going to something, or waiting for something. I'm watching TOS for basically the first time (shame) and noticing that here obviously they're someplace new each week, but we often join them as the mission starts. TNG episodes open with Picard telling us where they're coming from, or what they're on their way to that's about to be interrupted by the mystery of the week.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Good grief!

I was thinking this was just a weird one shot character nobody cared about. Clearly somebody, somewhere is fond enough for him to pop up again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Good grief!

I was thinking this was just a weird one shot character nobody cared about. Clearly somebody, somewhere is fond enough for him to pop up again.

His reappearances are fairly recent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Powered Descent posted:

His reappearances are fairly recent.

I don't even think he had a voice line in that episode either

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Haven't done a wrong thread post in awhile....

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 22, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arivia posted:

Take my Worf, please!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McSpanky posted:

Take my Worf, please!

There was a much better "Data tries humor" scene in, ironically, "Code of Honor".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTeH--8Qso

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Code of honour also has the thing about french being a dead language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlhzX7UKKNU

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Speaking of language, Loud as a Whisper! Found it really moving! The mystery of Riva, a negotiator so awesome, he helped chill the Klingons and Federation. The strange idea of his chorus is great and there's a good role in the plot for Troi, which has a lovely little coda at the end with Picard. I suppose the chorus getting wiped out in one (comical) fell swoop is a bit silly, but the drama it leads to is solid. I want to believe he pulls it off after end credits roll. It's very earnest stuff, almost painfully so, but it worked on me. If there's one thing I didn't truly like, it was Pulaski smirking to herself after putting Geordie into an emotional tailspin with ideas of restored sight. What a piece of poo poo! There's no follow up on that where he tells her to get stuffed either.

Then, The Schizoid Man (William Morgan Sheppard's lovely gravelly voice, Data donning a ludicrous beard and getting all creepy, It Was Okay) and finally, Unnatural Selection, which wa-ZZZZZZZZZZ...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There’s a weird thread in early TNG where there are a lot of these weird scientists living with their wives on some obscure planet that the Enterprise needs to visit

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm forcing myself to get through TOS and getting very stuck on The Alternative Factor. Oof.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Genuinely one of the worst episodes of Trek.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's not only bad but it's incomprehensible

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched TNG “Redemption” parts one and two.

That was a kick-rear end pair of episodes.

Was very cool to see Worf dressed in traditional Klingon garb and totally immersed herself in that environment, and their warlike culture.

Also cool to see Tony Todd as a Klingon.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not only bad but it's incomprehensible

I admit to doing that cool 21st century thing of being on my phone and not completely paying attention to the TV. Generally speaking while I might miss some nuance, I'll have a general idea of what's going on. That one... nope.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have absolutely no idea what the point of "the alternative factor" is. it's just a bunch of poo poo that happens

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That is kinda why I enjoy it. It’s just so bizarrely “there” that I can’t help be kinda fascinated by it.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So season 6 of voyager was a bit of a trip really

a large chunk of it was the standard dull, but some was really quite poo poo, like the "irish" holodeck stuff, paris wants to gently caress a shuttle, kes comes back and somehow her acting got much worse, doc wants to go off and become a singer also I'm saying the irish holodeck bullshit twice cause I had to watch it twice

the borg get changed over in tone from hivemind to whatever is going on with the queen and it just kinda kills the concept of the borg and makes them much like any other antagonist

they get a regular communication method with earth and it gets... pretty much zero attention

the better episodes were "survival instinct" as a good borg ep, "tsunkatse" for combs and hertzler turning up and chewing the drat scenery to shreds and "blink of an eye" for a good, engaging sci-fi plot that wasn't marred by technobabble

honourable mention to "muse" too for a fresh feeling plot and "riddles" as a tuvok/neelix piece I wasn't expecting to enjoy but did

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Going from season 5 of Voyager (an actual good, confidently made series of Trek) to season 6 (back in Voyager town) is so depressing. Blink of an Eye was a classic though, as you say

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It makes me so mad that Blink of an Eye is one of my favorite episodes and it's from... Voyager.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Got up to Prime Factors in my Voyager watch and I gotta say it was nice to see the Federation on the other side of the Prime Directive.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I got around to watching some more DS9 and that intro reeeeally drags, huh? I'm not one to ever skip intros, even if I'm watching multiple episodes in a row, but that I'm thinking of doing it for DS9. Like the views of the station are nice but it just feels like it takes forever in comparison to the TNG intro.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do love DS9 but I certainly wouldn't mind the intro being about a half minute shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Boxturret posted:

I got around to watching some more DS9 and that intro reeeeally drags, huh? I'm not one to ever skip intros, even if I'm watching multiple episodes in a row, but that I'm thinking of doing it for DS9. Like the views of the station are nice but it just feels like it takes forever in comparison to the TNG intro.

"Just circle around and pretend we're in awe of the pylons."