Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

quote:

The penalty amount was reduced based on the company’s inability to pay a higher penalty and continue in business.

whoa whoa whoa, just because they broke the law repeatedly and caused demonstrable harm to the well-being of their community doesn’t mean they should go out of business!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

your honor this "jail" thing sounds like it would make it pretty tough to hold down my job

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

EPA penalizes Oregon company over $148,000 for installing ‘defeat devices’ | US EPA

The penalty amount was reduced based on the company’s inability to pay a higher penalty and continue in business. Additional details can be found in the Consent Agreement and Final Order.
What? The gently caress?

Just add a couple of zeroes, and garnish their income for all eternity. They don't need to pay it all at once.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BonHair posted:

This seems like something went wrong in your life at some point?

ope I meant bike THAT drunk. I still enjoy riding my bike around.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

The Maroon Hawk posted:

whoa whoa whoa, just because they broke the law repeatedly and caused demonstrable harm to the well-being of their community doesn’t mean they should go out of business!!!

yeah corporations are people that would be like giving them the death penalty

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

your honor this "jail" thing sounds like it would make it pretty tough to hold down my job

Lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

I worked with a habitual drunk driver who successfully used this argument to keep his license

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Alehouse lawyer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I worked with a habitual drunk driver who successfully used this argument to keep his license

Sounds like he's got a Pure Addiction Ethanol Performance L.L.C.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Liability limiting car

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Alehouse lawyer

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BonHair posted:

Liability limiting car

thread title

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

that wint tweet is a cornerstone of american jurisprudence

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Anybody want to take a virtual walk though Car hell?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.995...i8192?entry=ttu

Just click forward until azusa and bask in the freeway to the left and the various car sellers to the right.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Real sad part is this could be so many cities in America

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Anybody want to take a virtual walk though Car hell?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.995...i8192?entry=ttu

Just click forward until azusa and bask in the freeway to the left and the various car sellers to the right.

if you think thats bad check this out: https://www.google.com/maps/@29.821...i8192?entry=ttu

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

manlet vs. TRUCK!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

resting landlord face

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i love bike

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Love bike so much. Did two trips to the hardware store this weekend while working on the porch and two trips to the brewery

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

cars: they suck rear end!!!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I'm out riding my bike right now

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I missed most of Houston when I was out in Texas a couple months ago due to the worst rainstorm I've ever seen, but driving between San Antonio and Austin was one of the most cursed things I've ever experienced. Just two hours of eight lane highways full of people going 90 mph through neverending suburbs. I think this is what hell is based on.

This evening I took a drive out to a forest preserve I walk through sometimes, but on a whim I took my bike. It's a very rural area just off a major road, so 99% of the traffic is on that road and not the smaller ones. I rode for about 20 miles along back roads and met maybe 3 cars in that time. Saw plenty of deer, horses, and cows.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

????

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

warning: bicycles may foolishly attempt to use this road

mystes
May 31, 2006

"bicycles worth 100 bonus points for next mile"

3rd72223
Jul 22, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMgkt9jdjTU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

2 clicks and I see a bus stop.

Click the one I posted and search for the closest bus stop.

That whole place is a trap.

You can jump the rail road tracks, but still you're trapped in a bigger box.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...wpmjr?entry=ttu

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Jul 24, 2023

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

31-year-old Grimsby resident Lauren Cullum was found guilty this week of breaching a Public Spaces Protection Order (PSPO) after she was spotted riding a bicycle in a pedestrianised zone in the town. She was issued a fine of £660, and also ordered to pay a victim services surcharge of £264 and costs of £226, Grimsby Live reports(link is external).

In contrast, in the same week at Grimsby Magistrates’ Court, Paul Berry pleaded guilty to driving at 50mph on a 40mph road. He was disqualified from driving for seven days, fined £60, and ordered to pay a victim services surcharge of £16.

Apr 7, 2003

hell yeah, love aldi

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lmao you can tell it's an older photo because all the cars in here are hatchbacks and sedans. not a truck or SUV or truk to be seen in houston

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the town i'm moving to is 3 miles long and everything i need is in walking distance. can't fuckin wait.

Apr 7, 2003

ScrubLeague posted:

the town i'm moving to is 3 miles long and everything i need is in walking distance. can't fuckin wait.

We moved to a less car-brained neighborhood that isn't between two massive stroads and it's so much more pleasant to get around here. I can ride my bike without feeling like I'm going to be murdered and even driving here sucks a whole lot less because people aren't expecting to go 55mph everywhere all the time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

quote:

NEW YORK -- A woman in a wheelchair was struck and killed by an SUV in the Kensington section of Brooklyn on Sunday afternoon.

The intersection at the corner of McDonald and Webster avenues reopened in the evening after investigators combed the scene. Neighbors told CBS New York's Kristie Keleshian the victim was an elderly woman.

Police said the victim was crossing intersection at around 1:30 p.m. when she was hit by SUV, and got pinned underneath.

The silver SUV with Pennsylvania plates stayed at the scene and was later towed away.

A neighbor who knew of the woman said she lived in a group home a short distance away for individuals with cerebral palsy.

"She would just go around in her wheelchair. She was very independent," Pearl Rosen said. "It's very sad to see life snuffed out so fast. It was very sad."

Police said they aren't suspecting any criminality, adding the 73-year-old driver of the SUV remained at the scene.

But was she wearing hi-vis???

Apr 7, 2003

I would expect that breaking the law by killing someone with your car is evidence in and of itself of criminality, but what do I know

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

half the people I see drive around me in Brooklyn are ancient liches in giant SUVs, I'm surprised they aren't driving into houses and stores more often than they do now

Apr 7, 2003

"Criminality" doesn't really mean "did a crime", it means "disreputable member of the underclass who does bad things." If you're a pillar of the community in a six figure job driving a nice new Audi or Mercedes, you are incapable of criminality by definition.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dog Case posted:

I'm out riding my bike right now

me too. well earlier today

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This seems fine

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7259192187987037486

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU