Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Three ages is pretty fun. Some of the jokes felt tired at first but then yeah remembered this is from 100 years ago and was probably one of the first. But most of the Roman time stuff, especially chariot race, still felt like gold.

Our Hospitality has the nicer restoration, but felt a little too long. Lots of steam engine scenes that feel less interesting for me now. Avoiding the killer brothers was fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

checkplease posted:

Three ages is pretty fun. Some of the jokes felt tired at first but then yeah remembered this is from 100 years ago and was probably one of the first. But most of the Roman time stuff, especially chariot race, still felt like gold.

Our Hospitality has the nicer restoration, but felt a little too long. Lots of steam engine scenes that feel less interesting for me now. Avoiding the killer brothers was fun though.

Sundial wristwatch is an all time classic

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh yeah wristwatch and spare dog are great stuff. All the Roman era is pretty great. You can feel now Mel Brooks history of the world was influenced.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Was glad the Urbaniak ep was so good because I found the first Keaton ep to be kind of a slog.

I was watching Sherlock Jr and my wife walked in and asked "Does this actually make you happy?" which I thought was a pretty funny way to ask that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

poly and open-minded posted:

Was glad the Urbaniak ep was so good because I found the first Keaton ep to be kind of a slog.

I was watching Sherlock Jr and my wife walked in and asked "Does this actually make you happy?" which I thought was a pretty funny way to ask that.

I need to check that out because I love Urbaniak.

I just... I like Buster Keaton. I like listening to the boys talk about movies. But for whatever reason I do not give a poo poo about the boys talking about Buster Keaton.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Im surprised, my experience with Keaton is basically nada but I really enjoyed listening to the extensive context on those episodes. Pretty fascinating time in general.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If you have the secret to defeating my apathy, I’m all ears. It’s not like it’s a well-reasoned preference.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Silent Comedies are fun to watch, but they don't exactly have a lot of meat on the bone. Outside stunt trivia and behind the scenes trivia you just don't got a lot to talk about.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Man, I am just not on this thread wave length I guess. I felt like these last two episodes were like self evidently the best the show has been in a while. The shorts ep on patreon is like similarly good.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I agree that they're pretty good, the actual films are enjoyable enough imo and despite having aged surprisingly well have definitely aged. But the context around them and learning little details from the early history of cinema make these episodes a lot more informative than most.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I've enjoyed this series a lot and it's been great fun watching Keaton's movies. Buster rules.

However

They seem to be actively avoiding criticizing Keaton and the questionable things in some of his movies. The racist bits in Seven Chances (including blackface!) go completely unremarked upon. That's pretty disappointing.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I've enjoyed this series a lot and it's been great fun watching Keaton's movies. Buster rules.

However

They seem to be actively avoiding criticizing Keaton and the questionable things in some of his movies. The racist bits in Seven Chances (including blackface!) go completely unremarked upon. That's pretty disappointing.

They know it's bad, everyone who listens knows it's bad, and we know they know it's bad, etc. What do you want them to say?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
A connoisseur of context has to take the bad with the good.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

They know it's bad, everyone who listens knows it's bad, and we know they know it's bad, etc. What do you want them to say?

Also, I haven't listened to the latest episode yet, but I think they've mentioned the presence of blackface in every single episode Keaton episode that I have listened to, either its presence, or how it was going to appear in future movies in this series.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oops, Actually gotta finish Navigator episode first before commenting.

checkplease fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 22, 2023

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Is Okja a remake of Go West? In this essay, I will

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Seven chances felt a bit weaker, but it is great for showing off how well Keaton can run.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

When are they getting to Park Chan-wook's?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Based on their recent Letterboxd logs, it’s coming up next after Keaton

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

they also just had a twitter poll on what the series name would be

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1666803314271604736?s=20

Better start watching I guess!

I am not sure how legally to watch the first two, maybe I'll go straight into JSA.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stoker is actually really dope. Kind of hope he makes another American movie again now.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Found this when trying to figure out how to watch Trio

https://archive.org/details/saminjo-trio-1997

E: looks like The Moon is the Sun’s Dream is on YouTube https://youtu.be/ybJZ8iBwhM0

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 8, 2023

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So uh this Joint Security Area film seems really good...

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

Found this when trying to figure out how to watch Trio

https://archive.org/details/saminjo-trio-1997

E: looks like The Moon is the Sun’s Dream is on YouTube https://youtu.be/ybJZ8iBwhM0

These are the films Park has tried to bury and constantly talks about how awful they are. I'm morbidly curious.

JSA rules except the outrageously wooden acting from anyone speaking English, every scene with the Swedes talking to each other is a total drag.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I didn't watch fear and desire or killers kiss and the Kubrick series was still one of my favorites.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

algebra testes posted:

So uh this Joint Security Area film seems really good...

when it started, I thought it was a silly jingoistic SK movie at first, which I didn't realize was the point. I loved it

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Top tier ad at the 30 min mark for the new ep.

Great episode so far.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Overall I think the Keaton series was a neat idea and I’m glad that it got me to watch his movies. But yeah I think they just didn’t have enough to talk about with them and that led to a lot of repetition.

The Chaplin vs buster stuff was funny at their commitment to bashing him, but it got me to watch more of his films also.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Not to be rude to JJ, but does anyone else feel like the show has become a little less engaging since they started doing the dossiers?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Not to be rude to JJ, but does anyone else feel like the show has become a little less engaging since they started doing the dossiers?

God no. I like that they have actual facts instead of half-remembered gossip.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I posted about it before, but I do feel that sometimes the discussion about production and trivia-like facts is less interesting than dissecting the film itself. I like both but sometimes the balance is a little too much on the “fun facts” side. Though I realize the point of the show is to talk about filmmakers’ careers and not necessarily film criticism.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sympathy for Mr Vengence: How did people not love this film at time of release. Drive out American conglomerates!

Edit: 5 minutes later something extremely hosed happens: ahh well, nevertheless...

Edit JSA episode probably dropping a hint for a future podcast.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 25, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m so glad I wasn’t driving when I heard how Griffin pronounces Takashi Miike’s name.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:staredog:

Oldboy huh.

Edit: next series spoiler David just logged The Game and Panic Room so it's obviously Fincher next because Griff hinted at it in JSA

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 1, 2023

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I really love this 2001 Oceans Eleven movie. I've seen it 1000 times if falling asleep counts as a watch.

Everyone is so cool

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really love this 2001 Oceans Eleven movie. I've seen it 1000 times if falling asleep counts as a watch.

Everyone is so cool

Yeah, the movie absolutely rules.

I'm looking forward to their take on Twelve. Because I really can't stand that movie, but they seemed to say they love it, too. But to be fair, I haven't really watched all of it since it came out. I mostly remember a lot of them doing nothing, a fun scene with Robbie Coltrane and code words, laser dancing, and then finding out oops, they stole the egg off a train at the beginning of the movie and we didn't see it, so the whole movie was pointless.

Oh, and the Julia Roberts' character looks like Julie Roberts joke, which the movie thought was the funniest thing in the world.

Thirteen is great, though. I've watched it about as many times as Eleven. They're both on my list of go-to movies to put on when I'm bored.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I just never found any of those people that charming. Clooney I can almost always do without unless he's like, doing something fun with the Coen bros. Individually a lot of them are fine or cool in things, but the idea they're some essential iconic super charismatic group of actors and that like, magic happens when they come together, it's never been a thing for me. Oh my god Matt Damon and Brad Pitt and George Clooney and Julia Roberts are in the same movie!!! What am I, someone who'd name their kids Kaylynn and Rayvynn?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Oceans 12 is a vibe movie where you watch beautiful celebs loving around Europe, I've seen a lot of apologia around it but the fact of the matter is unless you care about Celebrity more than you car about craft or artistry then the movie will fail you. Clooney has always been a mystery to me, I got to talking with a Co worker once about the man and neither of us could really name a movie we loved him in, I like him in Fantastic Fox and Dusk til Dawn, but never loved him in anything. And some of his roles are overrated to hell, Burn After Read g for example, a good Film that people have posteriorly adjusted to great in a misguided attempt to right perceived wrongs.

On the other hand, that's actually more in the spirit of the original Film than even elevens remake is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Out of Sight and Up in the Air are the two movies I usually point to as good Clooney performances. Though I haven't seen the latter in ages.