Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

Stereotypical Orange Chicken

authentic orange chicken

https://baike.baidu.hk/item/%E9%99%B3%E7%9A%AE%E9%9B%9E/422748

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
kung pao chicken is also everywhere in china/taiwan. fried rice.

american chinese food is obv southern in origin, mostly cantonese or sichuanese, maybe fujianese, and was adapted for what could be sourced in USA. meanwhile in china those cuisines also kept evolving on their own path.

its not like it wasn't chinese cooks making it all along. but yeah it developed for the american pallet I.E. sugar and salt, chopped into small pieces, served on rice. but its not like sugar isn't present in chinese food.

americans put salt on sushi they really are psychotic about salt that much I'll give you

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
it is funny that in china little chopped up stuff served on rice is only like 20% of food but whatever its still not that dissimilar. the quality of chinese food in USA is just very low by design, to make it cheap for a ton of food, competitive

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

how different is American Chinese food from food in China ? I know China is enormous and diverse .

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah the weird hyper sweet stuff mostly comes from Hong Kong and you can find it readily in Hong Kong style restaurants in Beijing at least.

Crab Rangoon is fully American though

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Big Bad Idiot posted:

americans put salt on sushi they really are psychotic about salt that much I'll give you

soy sauce is salty though

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

euphronius posted:

how different is American Chinese food from food in China ? I know China is enormous and diverse .

Nobody can answer the difference, but you can just go to a nearby Chinatown and go to a restaurant with mostly Chinese customers and menu mostly in Chinese.

But yeah the American Chinese cuisine is really Cantonese cuisine which is one out of 8 Chinese cuisines.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

soy sauce is salty though

yah they salt it and then you dip in the soy sauce. i have had it that way in LA a few times. makes no sense to me. maybe it keeps the fish longer

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Nobody can answer the difference, but you can just go to a nearby Chinatown and go to a restaurant with mostly Chinese customers and menu mostly in Chinese.

But yeah the American Chinese cuisine is really Cantonese cuisine which is one out of 8 Chinese cuisines.

I just got food from a local restaurant far from any Chinatown where we got 红烧蹄膀 and 糖醋莲藕. It's not too crazy. Just look for places where they leave the head on the fish.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
the funny thing is it goes both ways and western food especially in taiwan and japan are also interpreted. nothing wholly unfamiliar but like. Spagetti where the noodles are almost in a tomato soup rather than a thick sauce. Pork burgers with eggs and mustard. American Breakfast looks like this. And lots of corn chowder.

usually has buttered toast or a croissant as well

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin
steak is almost always well done in taiwan (they do ask what level you want it done though) and served on a sizzling bed of spagetti noodles with a side of sunny side up eggs

Big Bad Idiot has issued a correction as of 01:54 on Jul 22, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I will say Chinese street food including buba tea put too much sugar in them. But street foods nowadays are mostly industrialized fast food. You go to youtube and look at the street food videos all over the world, they are 80% similar.

Also go to a western restaurant inside China to eat a steak, the meat is alot softer than the American style. Same thing for the pizza douge you buy in China, its softer than an American pizza.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jul 22, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sticking eggs in everything is always a good idea. My favorite "comfort foods" I've ever had are omusoba and omurice. But you can just throw some scrambled eggs in pretty much any savory dish and it seems to work.

Chinese is probably my favorite style of food in the sense that I can just select completely random stuff from the menu and get at least some enjoyment out of it. I did this a lot senior year in college when I lived in Chinatown. It doesn't have some of the few hard-to-place characteristics that can make me outright dislike food.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Big Bad Idiot posted:

steak is almost always well done in taiwan (they do ask what level you want it done though) and served on a sizzling bed of spagetti noodles with a side of sunny side up eggs

that's cool

Taiwan agrees to fully open to Canadian beef imports ahead of trade deal posted:

TAIPEI, June 15 (Reuters) - Taiwan's government on Thursday agreed to fully open its market to imports of Canadian beef, lifting a stumbling block as Taipei angles to sign a bilateral investment agreement with Ottawa this year.

Taiwan had previously banned imports of Canadian beef slaughtered more than 30 months earlier due to concerns about bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or mad cow disease.

Taiwan's Cabinet said in a statement following a weekly meeting that it had approved the full opening of beef imports from Canada, though the island's food and drug administration said six items of offal including brains and eyes would still be banned on safety fears.

Taiwan lifted a similar 30-month-aged ban on U.S beef in 2021. The island produces little beef itself and most relies on imports from the United States, Australia and New Zealand.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

"beef slaughtered more than 30 months" means the cow was at least 30 months old, equivalent to "Prime" and "Choice" cuts as defined by the USDA

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

I've always had the impression that a lot of the sugar chicken type American Chinese food was a little more Fujianese than Cantonese in origin, though American Chinese food overall I'd agree has more canto influence

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Eminent DNS posted:

I've always had the impression that a lot of the sugar chicken type American Chinese food was a little more Fujianese than Cantonese in origin, though American Chinese food overall I'd agree has more canto influence

I am not a Fujianese food connoisseur, but I am pretty sure the few distinctive sweet and sour dishes are all Cantonese.

Also most old timey immigrants are Cantonese and Taisanese (part of Canton). However new takeout restaurants are dominated by Fujianese. Their menus are generic Americanized Chinese but have some Fujian favors.

Edit, I just google some famous Fujian dishes, all the ones I recognize are Hakka dishes. Hakka people are moved everywhere, but they are counted under Fujianese cuisine.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Ytlaya posted:

Sticking eggs in everything is always a good idea. My favorite "comfort foods" I've ever had are omusoba and omurice. But you can just throw some scrambled eggs in pretty much any savory dish and it seems to work.

Hell, sticking an egg in a cocktail is often a great idea too. The incredible, edible egg.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Most of the menu in Panda Express are basically orientalism Chinese food. Orange Chicken, WTF is that?

according to Wikipedia it's originally a dish from hunan but the version made at places like panda express are very different. loaded with sugar rather than just flavored by citrus peels

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Spergin Morlock posted:

according to Wikipedia it's originally a dish from hunan but the version made at places like panda express are very different. loaded with sugar rather than just flavored by citrus peels

you mean this? orange peel chicken i found on baidu

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

fart simpson posted:

you mean this? orange peel chicken i found on baidu

looks like it ya

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1682633847035539456

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not a Fujianese food connoisseur, but I am pretty sure the few distinctive sweet and sour dishes are all Cantonese.

Also most old timey immigrants are Cantonese and Taisanese (part of Canton). However new takeout restaurants are dominated by Fujianese. Their menus are generic Americanized Chinese but have some Fujian favors.

Edit, I just google some famous Fujian dishes, all the ones I recognize are Hakka dishes. Hakka people are moved everywhere, but they are counted under Fujianese cuisine.

Got and sour soup as well as sweet and sour pork/beef is very much a northern thingsl. American food just picked a bunch of random dishes from all over with a lot coming from southern China.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Hell, sticking an egg in a cocktail is often a great idea too. The incredible, edible egg.

eggs smell bad. sulfurous, eggy.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

eggs smell bad. sulfurous, eggy.

skill issue

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I went to PF Changs a while back, and the food I got had a completely insane amount of sugar/salt (or at least tasted that way), even for American restaurant food. And I'm not exactly someone with a low tolerance for that sort of thing - I'm fine with fast food, etc.

The annoying thing is that it would have been pretty tasty if the sugar/salt was just cut in half.

I assume thatw what the local place I ordered from did because it wasn't sweet at all.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Big Bad Idiot posted:

the funny thing is it goes both ways and western food especially in taiwan and japan are also interpreted. nothing wholly unfamiliar but like. Spagetti where the noodles are almost in a tomato soup rather than a thick sauce. Pork burgers with eggs and mustard. American Breakfast looks like this. And lots of corn chowder.

usually has buttered toast or a croissant as well

Corn chowder is real good though

It looks like an English Breakfast and American brekfast had a.kid

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1682917919397920769

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://twitter.com/DublinLair/status/1682736410418352128?t=ExG5fu_5LH1RJu4Ipt5Pbw&s=19

u think that's air you're breathin?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's literally just a matter of looking outside and asking, "Is the sky blue?" Some people have their brains broken so badly that they think the answer to that question is fake.

Big Bad Idiot
Jun 27, 2023

by vyelkin

KomradeX posted:

Corn chowder is real good though

It looks like an English Breakfast and American brekfast had a.kid

i didn't usually get beans and mushrooms with it.

cherry tomatoes on a salad, cocktail weenies, the hashbrown oval from mcdonald's and scrambled eggs are guaranteed part of 美式早餐

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

jfc that motherfucker is literally a century old and still somehow has the energy and mental presence to go across the world and do diplomacy poo poo like this

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i wonder if all the anti-china jabronis are ever going to realize that china doesn't actually care about their opinion nor do they have to

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cerebral Bore posted:

i wonder if all the anti-china jabronis are ever going to realize that china doesn't actually care about their opinion nor do they have to

have you considered some billionaires and corrupt officials have died to made this happen and that's Bad®

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

But at what cost?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Comrade Koba posted:

jfc that motherfucker is literally a century old and still somehow has the energy and mental presence to go across the world and do diplomacy poo poo like this

it’s amazing, especially compared to biden who is one of those old people who can hop, jump and skip everywhere but has a brain of pudding

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1682916299536474112?s=46&t=zukqvH8_J9wtzx9wpIW5Nw

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Who is the little guy holding the vampire? He looked terrified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cerebral Bore posted:

This isn’t even anti China, westerners are just racist pieces of poo poo and I hate this whole loving hemisphere