Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
venture bros owns but the earlier seasons were better and the more they leaned into the lore side of things the slightly worse it became. then again i really like the white house episode so what do I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It started spending more time talking about itself, rather than being about something, it felt like.

When I think of post-season 2 stuff, all I can hear is an endless babble from Billy and Pete. They're good characters, but it gets overbearing and really goes nowhere. "Overwrought" comes to mind.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

sometimes I think I died around 2006 and that 's why there's no new ip's. it's just my brain in its final throes, endlessly rearranging and recombining all the poo poo that's already in my head

Milo and POTUS posted:

drat, good movie idea

Imagining the start and end of Jacob’s Ladder but the in-between parts are just the entirety of Ready Player One.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You're living up to that username

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

sure okay posted:

Or new people :justpost:

ONE of you lurking fucks has gotta have an opinion about a moopie

Oh I got one for ya I realized this weekend.

It dawned on me that I prefer Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead and Snyder's Dawn of the Dead to Romero's versions BUT Day of the Dead is the best, "... Of the Dead" movie of them all.

Obviously this is not a slam on Romero's Night and Dawn, I'd just sit down and watch the remakes first if given the choice.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

Day of the Dead is the best, "... Of the Dead" movie of them all.

:hmmyes:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I saw the new Mission Impossible and Transformers movies back to back and felt like I saw the same film twice

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the plot of the Barbie movie, is it like the first Lego movie?

Also a mother loving 300 mil opening will instantly greenlight 5 more "Product" movies. This is just depressing. Is there a "Cola" movie yet? Also "Amazon" and " Netflix" why the gently caress not. Somebody give 200 mil to Ridley Scott to make that Monopoly movie.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually think the venture bros later seasons are fine, and that it's okay to have a fun world with unique characters and to give them something to do.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I mean, they're already planning on bringing GI Joe back. So maybe we'll get some utterly batshit action figure/doll franchise movies. The Asylum can make all the dollar store knock off action figure brands their own movies too.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

reignofevil posted:

I actually think the venture bros later seasons are fine, and that it's okay to have a fun world with unique characters and to give them something to do.

Maybe it's because everyone talks too drat fast for my brain, so that I miss half the dialogue. :shrug:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

LanceHunter posted:

What do you mean the movie doesn't even mention it? They literally show the brother putting up a barb wire fence on a ranch while talking about him and the other communist party member scientists who all got blacklisted.

His phone was in front of the screen when that happened. I assume this is an efb but it really deserves the dogpile.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

MI: DR: P1

Kind of a turd actually. Good action scenes but they are few and far between. I liked the car chase a whole lot. I have a list of grievances though:

- Dumbass plot makes no sense
- Too loving long
- The first 30 minutes are like 4 of those scenes where people finish each other's sentences in a circle. I loving hate that hack dialogue trick so much.
- They put a bunch of CGI over the real stunt stuff. Wow you really crashed a train ... into a fake rear end CGI river.
- The thief gets away from Tom Cruise at one point by pretending he groped her and four ITALIAN guys step in to keep him away from her in the least believable scene a movie full of nonsense about rogue AIs taking over the world
- In the very end the CIA director lets the thief go if she promises to join the IMF even though the IMF never does what he tells them to and is actively working against him right now, right at this very instant in the movie they're going to completely gently caress up his plan to take over the world but guess he's got some code of honor or something about letting people join this secret spy group that he doesn't control at all

I saw it last night and hated it. Was ready to walk out half way through but decided to stay and figure out why the last few M.I. s haven't done anything for me and I figured it out.

Chris McQuarrie is one of the best big set piece action scene directors ever. Everything else however, he is complete dogshit at. Just terrible. His stories are dumb as gently caress, and more importantly, told badly. Don't have two people sit in a room and tell me exactly what just happened. Show it happening or tell me their interiority from it happening.

Story wise there's no finesse or actual work put in. Whoops gotta kill someone, better show Tom Cruise giving her a hug even tho he's spent the whole movie sexlessly lusting after a full English breakfast.

He also can't direct the basics for poo poo. Go back and watch any two hander conversation scene. He doesn't understand the 180 rule so people's eyeliners are loving everywhere. There's twenty more cuts per minute than there needs to be and none of them are motivated by anything. The pacing is off and nothing actually serves a purpose. It's real 'half way through film school' film making.

So, since all the scenes that are supposed to set up stakes and make us care about the characters have are bad, the action scenes have no weight.

M(ovie) I(ncredibly bad)6.5: turd dreckoning.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Also, the reason Ezra Miller is still a thing is that he invites Zaslav over to play with his kidnapping victims.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Who could have imagined The Flash would be the most scary costume of the 2023 Halloween season?

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

PostNouveau posted:

MI: DR: P1

Kind of a turd actually. Good action scenes but they are few and far between. I liked the car chase a whole lot. I have a list of grievances though:

- Dumbass plot makes no sense
- Too loving long

Agree with most of this, this is the weakest of the new batch of MI movies. 2 is still the overall worst. I'll add that if you want to create a runaway steam train you can't kill the guy that shovels coal and call it a day, you actually need more of that to make the train go.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Kingo Ligma posted:

I saw it last night and hated it. Was ready to walk out half way through but decided to stay and figure out why the last few M.I. s haven't done anything for me and I figured it out.

Chris McQuarrie is one of the best big set piece action scene directors ever. Everything else however, he is complete dogshit at. Just terrible. His stories are dumb as gently caress, and more importantly, told badly. Don't have two people sit in a room and tell me exactly what just happened. Show it happening or tell me their interiority from it happening.

Story wise there's no finesse or actual work put in. Whoops gotta kill someone, better show Tom Cruise giving her a hug even tho he's spent the whole movie sexlessly lusting after a full English breakfast.

He also can't direct the basics for poo poo. Go back and watch any two hander conversation scene. He doesn't understand the 180 rule so people's eyeliners are loving everywhere. There's twenty more cuts per minute than there needs to be and none of them are motivated by anything. The pacing is off and nothing actually serves a purpose. It's real 'half way through film school' film making.

So, since all the scenes that are supposed to set up stakes and make us care about the characters have are bad, the action scenes have no weight.

M(ovie) I(ncredibly bad)6.5: turd dreckoning.

Haven't seen the newest one yet but I saw an interview where Simon Pegg and Rebecca Ferguson flat out said that they didn't even have a script when making this (probably goes for the previous ones as well) but they just plan out all these epic action set pieces down to the finest details and all the scenes in between are written on the day/improvised/ done with the most bare bones cliff notes of the "script". Sounds like it's starting to show a little too much with these movies.

not trolled not crying fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 23, 2023

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Ive been listening to Conan's podcast after the Harrison Ford ep was posted itt and just got to the Hanz and Franz four partner - where Conan, Kevin neelon, Dana Carvey and Robert 'Triumph the Insult Comic Dog"' Smigel read their insane Hanz and Franz script they wrote in the 90s. This is peak Simpsons era Conan energy right here

https://youtu.be/qn0eDHgKBzA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, MI part 1 of 2, so they're going to keep doing this AI mastermind poo poo for a whole nother movie

Also maybe it's great marketing that gets asses in seats, but they were advertising this one not with real trailers but with behind-the-scenes of how practical their effects are. But the two stunts they made the trailer around the train crash and the motorcycle jump are the climax of the movie and it loses a little bit when you know where it's going. I mean, obviously the train is going to crash, the bad guy opens the scene killing the conductor, but still I know precisely how it'll happen.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
as a diehard fan of the classic movie 'the train is coming right at the camera!', i can't wait to see this

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I'm just sad that Rebecca Ferguson dies Why can't Tom cruise just settle down with a nice lady and relax? :smith:

EDIT: Oh, right.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
the entity: 'now i control all the world's computers, you cannot stop me mr impossible mission man'

tom cruise: 'more like..... get bentity :c00l:'

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1682602248591818752?s=20

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1682603270634631173?s=20

Jay being extremely Jay here. I guess we're gonna get HitB episodes on this new Exorcist.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's interesting that despite the series being well liked and the most recent one getting some of its best reviews that M:I is lagging at the box office (at least compared to what people thought it was going to do). I wonder if the 'Part One' thing has become that much of a turn off for people?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Weekend box office numbers are starting to come out...

Barbie made around $155 million domestic. That'll make it the biggest opening weekend of the year.

Oppenheimer made $80.5 million domestic. Which is also absolutely insane given its subject matter and length. Cillian Murphy might as well start practicing his Oscar speech now. (Emily Blunt, too).

These are some pre-pandemic numbers here.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i've heard of boffo BO, but boffo B&O BO?!?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mozi posted:

i've heard of boffo BO, but boffo B&O BO?!?

Congratulations, your offer letter from Variety's headline department will be arriving by morning.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

Cillian Murphy might as well start practicing his Oscar speech now. (Emily Blunt, too).

Yeah, in addition to Murphy, she really was the standout for me. I also thought the guy who played Teller was pretty good, turns out that's one of the guys who made Uncut Gems!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

It's interesting that despite the series being well liked and the most recent one getting some of its best reviews that M:I is lagging at the box office (at least compared to what people thought it was going to do). I wonder if the 'Part One' thing has become that much of a turn off for people?

I think it comes down to how the movies are sold. People are more likely to see a movie if you can sell them on it being special. With Top Gun you had authentic fighter jets. With Oppenheimer you have the return of a loved director (and practical nukes effects?). With Barbie you have an original story and unique art direction. There just wasn't much of a sales pitch for the new M:I other than "hey, it's another new one. there are some big stunts and action in it like all the other ones."

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I think Paramount got a little over-confident because of Top Gun: Maverick last year and decided that all they needed to do was remind everyone of the crazy stunt Tom Cruise was gonna do and they would immediately be the biggest release of the Summer.

Also, we can probably expect Barbie and Oppenheimer to continue to do well next week. Their biggest competition is Disney's 2nd attempt to make a Haunted Mansion movie. (Which may or may not be good, but which definitely was expecting to be able to use its big cast of extremely charismatic stars to go on all the various promotional shows out there to pitch the movie. With the SAG strike preventing all that from happening, I honestly don't think anyone even realizes that it is coming out next weekend.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

Oppenheimer made $80.5 million domestic. Which is also absolutely insane given its subject matter and length. Cillian Murphy might as well start practicing his Oscar speech now. (Emily Blunt, too).

It's wild. It's like me being all "yeah dune looks great but it's gonna bomb" all over again

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, the internet hype did follow through for Barbie in a way that I wasn't expecting. They really sold the poo poo out of that movie.

LanceHunter posted:

I think Paramount got a little over-confident because of Top Gun: Maverick last year and decided that all they needed to do was remind everyone of the crazy stunt Tom Cruise was gonna do and they would immediately be the biggest release of the Summer.

Also, we can probably expect Barbie and Oppenheimer to continue to do well next week. Their biggest competition is Disney's 2nd attempt to make a Haunted Mansion movie. (Which may or may not be good, but which definitely was expecting to be able to use its big cast of extremely charismatic stars to go on all the various promotional shows out there to pitch the movie. With the SAG strike preventing all that from happening, I honestly don't think anyone even realizes that it is coming out next weekend.)

I'm very surprised that Haunted Mansion wasn't pushed to halloween, but maybe the release schedule is already full for that month.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

super sweet best pal posted:

I definitely agree that the first two seasons are the high point. The show's strength is the main characters being a cynical parody of adventure serials and while the slapfight between the major powers in the setting is a fine story on its own it really shouldn't have had as much focus as it did.

Once it moves past the johnny quest parody and the OSI vs Guild stuff it really opens up

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Randarkman posted:

Unfortunately no.

WB had one loving job

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

The only place I could get Oppenheimer tickets were out in the burbs and it was my first time going to a non-Drafthouse-and/or-non-indie-theatre since the obama administration and jesus what a miserable experience

10 minutes of pre-roll TV commercials before the trailers start, people looking at their phones, muttering to each other; get the gently caress outta here with that poo poo

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/JayBauman1/status/1682603270634631173?s=20

Jay being extremely Jay here. I guess we're gonna get HitB episodes on this new Exorcist.

A real missed opportunity to revisit the Exorcist III-style of "hard-boiled detective stumbing into the supernatural in a crumbling cityscape", but of course the only thing people want to see at the moopies is gallons of bad CGI pea soup coming out of a bad CGI child head

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 23, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Lister posted:

I'm very surprised that Haunted Mansion wasn't pushed to halloween, but maybe the release schedule is already full for that month.

Disney doesn't have a single release in December. The closest they come is Marvels getting released on November 10th. I honestly have no idea what they are thinking.

Dijkstracula posted:

A real missed opportunity to revisit the Exorcist III-style of "hard-boiled detective stumbing into the supernatural in a crumbling cityscape", but of course the only thing people want to see at the moopies is gallons of bad CGI pea soup coming out of a bad CGI child head

Apparently this is a whole trilogy, so who knows if they'll actually expand things in the next two movies of if it will just be more retreading of the original. Also, one thing I didn't see in the trailer is any actual priest/exorcist. I imagine it might be a bit of a harder sell in TYOOL 2023 to have a Catholic priest as the hero of your movie.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

LanceHunter posted:

I imagine it might be a bit of a harder sell in TYOOL 2023 to have a Catholic priest as the hero of your movie.
I figure they'll just refer to him as a "Jesuit" and count on nobody knowing what that means

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
im so fuckin tired of the barbie oppenheimer marketing campaigns, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sunk Dunk posted:

im so fuckin tired of the barbie oppenheimer marketing campaigns, jesus christ

Sorry you hate good movies, op.