Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Doesn't Paul walk into the desert because doing so will prevent the Fremen from collapsing in a civil war around whether a blind man can rule them?

The politics is a contributing factor, but by then, Paul has made it very clear that he could see without eyes and that he could bend the Fremen to his will if he needed to. Realizing that he could and would bend them to his will may be part of why he decides against the Golden Path. He's done forcing his will upon the universe.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i always saw Dune as kind of a deconstruction of "chosen one" fantasy stories, basically saying "if everyone starts saying that some young kid is 'the chosen one,' be very afraid."

Yeah, Herbert is saying that superhumans are still just fallible humans with their own personal motivations and the prophecies that produce superhumans are just stories made up by fallible humans with their own personal motivations.

I think one of the most important points in the first novel is that Paul's entire religion is based on a scam. The Lisan-al-Gaib myth is an invention of the Missionaria Protectiva made up for if a Bene Gesserit sister found herself in trouble on Arrakis and needed to lay low among the Fremen until it blows over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's been a while but from what I remember I kinda get vibes of Herbert distrusting authority but also kind of getting apologist about fascism, especially with Leto II. Sometimes hard men need to make difficult decisions, and Leto becomes terrible so he can force humanity to destroy him and build something better. It's a "you can't have heroes without villains" thing, but with the villains being a prerequisite of heroic acts rather than a consequence of someone wanting to be a hero.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Yeah Paul really did save humanity with his actions, via his horrible tyrant son, because the alternative was apparently even worse. So it kind of cheapens the whole "watch out for self proclaimed saviours!" message.
Doesn't help that very little is actually explained about the bigger details of what's happening or why, and it mostly has to be inferred.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah i always saw Dune as kind of a deconstruction of "chosen one" fantasy stories, basically saying "if everyone starts saying that some young kid is 'the chosen one,' be very afraid."
Just to be clear, this isn't subtext - it's actual-text, in that it's what the first three books is very explicitly about.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

PeterWeller posted:

The politics is a contributing factor, but by then, Paul has made it very clear that he could see without eyes and that he could bend the Fremen to his will if he needed to. Realizing that he could and would bend them to his will may be part of why he decides against the Golden Path. He's done forcing his will upon the universe.

Although at the end of Messiah he loses his prescience and probably can't bend the Fremen to his will anymore. It's been a couple years since I read it but I always interpreted the ending as Paul making it clear that he's now no different than any other Fremen, subject to the same limitations and customs. It's interesting that his failure to become the Kwisatz Haderach and save humanity himself is also a personal redemption arc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

stratdax posted:

Yeah Paul really did save humanity with his actions, via his horrible tyrant son, because the alternative was apparently even worse. So it kind of cheapens the whole "watch out for self proclaimed saviours!" message.
Doesn't help that very little is actually explained about the bigger details of what's happening or why, and it mostly has to be inferred.

Children and God Emperor definitely do a lot to gently caress with the larger narrative. I still mostly dig God Emperor for being Big Gonzo Science Fiction, but it presents its story as more universalist as opposed to earlier books' "here's one hosed up thing that happened."

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just to be clear, this isn't subtext - it's actual-text, in that it's what the first three books is very explicitly about.

Kynes, as he's dying in the desert after the Harkonnen attack, remembers his father's very explicit words that the worst thing that could happen to a people would be to be saved by a Hero.

Herbert was not subtle. It's just that it's a moment that gets very easily snipped out when needing to edit an adaptation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a bit tricky given Leto II's whole deal is pretty much 'make them smoke the whole pack'; deliberately abusing the chosen one and god-king mythos to the hilt to be excessively and unnecessarily repressive, openly revelling in hypocrisy and making a joke out of the foundation of his power, creating a status quo guaranteed to collapse the moment he's gone and giving humanity as a whole such a distaste for everything associated with his rule. Even trying to discredit the Butlerian Jihad.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Smoking on that Leto pack

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Although at the end of Messiah he loses his prescience and probably can't bend the Fremen to his will anymore. It's been a couple years since I read it but I always interpreted the ending as Paul making it clear that he's now no different than any other Fremen, subject to the same limitations and customs. It's interesting that his failure to become the Kwisatz Haderach and save humanity himself is also a personal redemption arc.

That's correct, but he loses his prescience precisely when he has no further need for it because he's produced heirs.

You're right that turning away from being the messianic superhero and just embracing his place as a blind and broken Fremen is his own personal redemption.

stratdax posted:

I dunno. I feel like Leto II's story is, "you saw what happened with Paul and you still want a messiah? Okay, here's this freakish abominable child who's gonna make a deal with some long forgotten pharaoh and become an inhuman worm god to grind upon humanity for 3000 or so years while he breeds the gene that will make us resistant to murder robots. And right before accomplishing that goal, he almost fucks it all up because somebody else created his perfect girlfriend."

Then the next two books are about how thousands of years after that, we're all still arguing about whether or not 3000 years of worm god was a good idea and murdering each other with literally inexplicable devices, but at least we've bred dogs that are also chairs.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Herbert was a philosophically confusing dude who at best represented a now forgotten political niche of eco-conservatism, built on a solid foundation of distrusting authority while venerating and calling for a return to nature/classic modes of simpler modes of living.

The Fremen being STRONG because their life is shaped by desert hardship is a specific ideal that really only found purchase when there was enough a wealth imbalance and active imperialism that westerners can dream about exotic foreign peoples and those same exotic foreign peoples couldn't tell them they're just trying to live their life same as them.

He's a specific type of PNW hut hobo who you can talk about the ills of futurism or whatever, but sometime after the third beer he's gonna go off what's really wrong with society (the types of people he doesn't like).

All in all there's alot worse in the genre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's also the extremely blatant theme that the Fremen lifestyle and philosophy is very much shaped by their surroundings and material conditions- even in Paul's relatively short reign it soon becomes incredibly different even after the great jihad of revenge across the galaxy because they've mingled with the rest of humanity, and Dune has become a fundamentally different place.

Of course, also the theme that the Fremen aren't idealised. They're impressive, yes, because of how well they've adapted to an insanely hostile home where literally everything is trying to kill them. It's not a particularly pleasant life, with access to Spice implied to be one of the few things that makes it bearable. It's got the Tolkien vibes where war is hell, heroes usually gently caress things up or at best fix what the last hero hosed up, and the real best things in life are good food, good friends and a loving home.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of interesting weirdo conservatives Dan Carlin of Hardcore History said pretty much the same thing about the Mongols during his episodes about them. Usually takes one generation or so before they "soften" from their harder progenitors.

Just some retro takes in your face.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

We might have to wait longer for Part Two:

The Guardian posted:

Warner Bros considering delaying release of Dune: Part Two due to strikes

Following the actors’ strike in Hollywood, Warner Bros is seeking to push the release of the sci-fi sequel to 2024 ensure that stars such as Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya will be able to promote the film

In a sign that the combined actors and writers’ strike is beginning to bite, Hollywood studios are considering delaying the release of their most high-profile films to ensure that their stars will be in a position to promote them.

According to Variety, Warner Bros is seeking to push the release of sci-fi epic Dune: Part Two to next year, from its planned release date in early November. Starring Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya, as well as Rebecca Ferguson, Austin Butler and Florence Pugh, it would have expected to considerably benefit from media and in-person appearances by its main performers, but union rules mean that actors are not allowed to perform publicity duties on Sag-Aftra-registered productions. It appears that studios are gambling on the fact the strike will have been resolved by next year, allowing marketing efforts to remain unimpeded.

A change in release date is also likely to affect its participation in film festivals; Dune premiered at the Venice film festival, at the start of autumn and Part Two is likely to have aimed for something similar – but the absence of actors would make it less attractive, as well as the lack of proximity to a theatrical release.

However, it appears that no formal discussions have yet taken place between Warner Bros and Legendary Entertainment, its fellow producers on the Dune films, who would have to agree on a new release date.

Warner Bros is also reportedly examining the possibility of moving two of its major December releases: the adaptation of Alice Walker’s The Color Purple, which would expect its actors to be involved in a strong awards push, and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.

Publicity work on films such as Barbie, Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One and Oppenheimer had largely been completed before the actors’ strike was called, though the time of Oppenheimer’s London premiere was brought forward to allow the main cast to participate, before leaving the event before it had finished.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
“The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called 'spannungsbogen' -- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing”

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Good. gently caress CHOAM.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

“The Fremen were supreme in that quality the ancients called 'spannungsbogen' -- which is the self-imposed delay between desire for a thing and the act of reaching out to grasp that thing”
That's not at all what that word means, though. It simply refers to the tension that is found in a bowstring when you string a bow.
What Frank is referring to is delayed gratification, aka. belohnungsaufschub.

I suppose someone might argue that the meaning of the word changed in-universe, in the intervening time, but that's a bit of a stretch.
It might also be said that the Fremen are great at staying in tension for an extended period of time and not breaking under that tension, given their in-universe history - but that's not how the word is used.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That's not at all what that word means, though. It simply refers to the tension that is found in a bowstring when you string a bow.
What Frank is referring to is delayed gratification, aka. belohnungsaufschub.

I suppose someone might argue that the meaning of the word changed in-universe, in the intervening time, but that's a bit of a stretch.
It might also be said that the Fremen are great at staying in tension for an extended period of time and not breaking under that tension, given their in-universe history - but that's not how the word is used.

A Spannungsbogen in German also roughly describes a story arc, from when tension first arises to when it is resolved. That still means the quote got the word wrong.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Not to handwave everything away with this same argument, but to me seems pretty plausible that a word could change to mean a related concept over the course of like 10,000 years, that already happens in our extant languages on much shorter timescales

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DTurtle posted:

We might have to wait longer for Part Two:

I guess technically we are already into a 1+ year delay for part 2, so a bit longer is no big deal. The actors deserve more than what they are getting, and that is more important than seeing this movie, as excited as I am for it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's not like we just had a massive pandemic that made going to the movies difficult and severely impacted production, release and quality of the movies. Waiting a year to support actors and writes? That feels like it's no time at all.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Or the studios could just give the actors and writers what they're asking for.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

live with fruit posted:

*Cut to David Zaslav, slowly emerging from full submersion in a bathtub full of engine oil*: MY STUDIO

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

live with fruit posted:

Executives don't wanna, they would rather both groups go away and be replaced with AI.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

*Cut to David Zaslav, slowly emerging from full submersion in a bathtub full of engine oil*: MY STUDIO

Lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Delaying the movie has nothing to do with supporting the strike. It’s about waiting for the strike to blow over.

If they wanted to support the unions they could pay people fairly and release the movie as planned.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I support unions and them showing solidarity and poo poo but it’s kinda hard to feel bad for actors “not getting enough” when you see them walking on the red carpet and all the other extravagances and lifestyle their job affords them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Boris Galerkin posted:

I support unions and them showing solidarity and poo poo but it’s kinda hard to feel bad for actors “not getting enough” when you see them walking on the red carpet and all the other extravagances and lifestyle their job affords them.

The vast vast majority of people with a SAG card don't make poo poo. It's not about the red-carpet people, their fees and terms are negotiated by their agent. This is about minimums, and safe and humane work practices for the peons

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also about the studios not having indefinite and complete control over the likeness of the actors, in perpetuity.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The rank and file, even if they occasionally get to do a red carpet event with the big names, don't get paid anywhere near enough for the ridiculous working hours and travel schedules they pull.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Also about the studios not having indefinite and complete control over the likeness of the actors, in perpetuity.

Yep most definitely.

I reckon the use of AI for background actors is probably totally inevitable at this stage, but it remains to be seen if SAG can pull off a Butlerian Jihad against robots doing speaking parts for $0

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Let me give you some advice: never, ever support the bosses. Whether it’s millionaire athletes or millionaire actors. It’s the athletes and actors that are creating value in the first place. And as others have already said, many of the A-listers have said they are using their visibility to stand up for random writers and actors who get paid dollars a day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chris Rock had it right in the sketch; LeBron James may be rich, but who's paying him all that money?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Bugblatter posted:

Delaying the movie has nothing to do with supporting the strike. It’s about waiting for the strike to blow over.

If they wanted to support the unions they could pay people fairly and release the movie as planned.

It does, after a fashion. SAG members can't promote a project on strike, which can effect it's performance, and in some cases their pay depending on contracts. It's not unreasonable to suspect that some of them at least may rather the project come out later, when it may enjoy a better and more profitable release

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know common belief is that it does, but does Timothee Chalamet going on Good Morning America to tell a story about how he got in trouble for stealing an apple pie from a neighbors window actually put butts in seats?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

The number of big time actors that make a liveable wage on acting, is very tiny. Like 1% if even that. The average pay is like $30,000 a year. This strike is for those actors.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know common belief is that it does, but does Timothee Chalamet going on Good Morning America to tell a story about how he got in trouble for stealing an apple pie from a neighbors window actually put butts in seats?

it absolutely does

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Advertising in general is about brand awareness. You make people aware that thing exists and is an option they can choose (and this is especially important for something like a movie that's expected to make almost all its revenue in a short period following release.) People need to know that Dune 2 is coming out, they can't not know, and you use every channel you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

I reckon the use of AI for background actors is probably totally inevitable at this stage, but it remains to be seen if SAG can pull off a Butlerian Jihad against robots doing speaking parts for $0

climate change, prescience as analogue for information/media saturation, increasing right-populist autocrats and AI; it can't be understated how drat on point Frank Herbert was about all this poo poo.

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 23, 2023