Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

LOST's ending doesn't try any tricks to outthink the audience, it just wraps things up in a very conventional and predictable way. It's disappointing rather than disastrous.

LOST's creators also explicitly stated early on that the the show's mysteries had "scientific or pseudoscientific" explanations and obviously the ending did not fall into that category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The wife and I started The Path. Interesting so far, but a lot of weird sex stuff

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Terminal List has been a good watch so far, although I don't quite buy Chris Pratt as an action guy. Something about him doesn't really work for me.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

sad question posted:

New season of Miracle Workers is starting and the theme is post apocalypse this time.

Starting watching this because I was intrigued by the premise (or what I thought was the premise, as there really is none) and the billing of Radcliffe and Buscemi. So I sat through the first series and a couple of episodes of the second one, and it is just extremely bland on every level. Just low hanging fruit, really. It felt a lot like watching Plebs, come to think of it.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I find it pretty comfy to watch though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I geberwlly find that the first episode or two of each season a little too light for me. It's not a particularly incisive comedy though, no, but it's comfortable and charming in a low key sort of way. Makes me laugh.

Plebs did not make me laugh.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Octy posted:

The Terminal List has been a good watch so far, although I don't quite buy Chris Pratt as an action guy. Something about him doesn't really work for me.

I tried this when it was new and it just made me want to watch more Jack Ryan. Chris Pratt as poe-faced action star just doesn't work great for me.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, John Krasinkski has made a much better transition from comedy to action. I'll miss Jack Ryan.

The Terminal List was about three episodes too long but it was fun, albeit relentlessly horrible in everything that happens.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just finished Cop Rock.

Was it bad? Yes, but after 30+ years of watching bad media via MST3K and its offshoots, I've learned to appreciate bad TV & movies.

The show's biggest problems were bad dialogue and poorly-written characters. Surprising for a Bochco show. The actors were perfectly fine for the most part. They just had to say such generic police drama poo poo. Production values were pretty good. It looked like every other cop show from its time.

Was I entertained? Yes.

The last episode ended with the characters acknowledging their cancellation and breaking out into one more song.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 22, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
'Shaun White: The Last Ride'.....a four part documentary on MAX is excellent. Shaun White is a super interesting and likable character. His story is compelling and the way this is shot and put together is outstanding.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

LOST's creators also explicitly stated early on that the the show's mysteries had "scientific or pseudoscientific" explanations and obviously the ending did not fall into that category.

Re-watching LOST with the kids and I think the creators were just blowing smoke - sometimes literally. There's always been supernatural explanations all around, disguised under layers of Dharma Initiative

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I believe they wanted it, but they wrote themselves into a corner and at the end nothing could explain all that but.. magic

Remember that the smoke monster was supposed to be a “security system” or something, but than at the end it was the bad guy all along (and so nothing it did on the early season makes any sense at all)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 23, 2023

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

I believe they wanted it, but they wrote themselves into a corner and at the end nothing could explain all that but.. magic

Remember that the smoke monster was supposed to be a “security system” or something, but at than at the end it was the bad guy all along (and so nothing it did on the early season makes any sense at all)

that can be hand-waved as the people coming to the island being lied to by the Hanso Foundation about the true nature of things, Esau's influence, etc. Like the Others after killing all of Dharma had only what Dharma and Jacob said to go on and I'd imagine Jacob wouldn't mention Esau/Smokey. So they took the Degroot/Hanso/Dharma explanation at face value not realizing that the smoke was sentient, especially since Ben can be seen summoning it in a later episode. (It seemed to have some level of sentience earlier as it let Locke and Mr. Ecko survive despite killing the pilot) .. look, i'm not saying it's not clunky, but it works in-universe

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Re-watching LOST with the kids and I think the creators were just blowing smoke - sometimes literally. There's always been supernatural explanations all around, disguised under layers of Dharma Initiative

I agree, I think they knew all along and I'm saying that's one of the things that caused some of the disappointment and anger. If they'd left things open I think some people at least wouldn't have been as pissed at how it ended, but they went out of their way to say that there was a grounded explanation for the whole thing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where did they say there was specifically going to be a grounded/scientific explanation for everything?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Where did they say there was specifically going to be a grounded/scientific explanation for everything?

I can't find you a single smoking gun here, but I remember it coming up in several fan interviews, including one that went up on SpoilerTV. But there's some other material floating around e.g. they negotiated with the network that they'd be "science fact" explanations for the show's various mysteries, and this was the line they stuck with ("I don't think we've shown anything on the show yet ... that has no rational explanation in the real world that we all function within") in at least some other public interviews back around season one. By the third season that line had become that the show would be as science factional as, say, the DNA cloning from Jurassic Park ("we never promised a show that was based entirely and grounded in science") and then by the fifth/sixth seasons they were claiming that time travel had always been a part of the show because of the twin skeletons from the first season, or whatever, despite that interview above saying that there was no such thought back in season one.

(This explains the continuity hole there, btw. The Adam and Eve skeletons are somehow both 2000 years and 50 years old, depending on the season. But that's not new information; David Fury has that interview where he talks about quitting the show after season one because they just didn't have explanations to half their random plots teases.)

David Fury's Rolling Stone interview posted:

"there was absoluetly no master plan on Lost" insists David Fury, a co-executive producer last season who wrote the series's two best episodes and is now a writer-producer on 24. "anybody who said that was lying.

"On a show like Lost, it becomes a great big shaggy-dog story," he continues cheerily. "They keep saying there's meaning in everything, and I'm here to tell you no - a lot of things are just arbitrary. What I always tried to do to do was connect these random elements, to create the illusion that it was all adding up to something."
Many plot elements were concocted on the fly, Fury says; for example, they didn't know Hurley won the lottery until it came time to write his episode. "I don't like to talk about when we come up with ideas," Lindelof demurs. It's a magic trick. But we planned that plot: We seeded references to it in earlier episodes."

Fury disagrees. He says scenes with those references were filmed much later and inserted into earlier yet-to-air episodes: "it's a brilliant trick to make us look smart."

Also according to a separate thing with Fury, at one point they considered making the island being an alien spaceship accessed via the hatch, before changing their minds.

My point is, they made a lot of promises and said a lot of things because, for a long long time, they had no idea where they were going or how grounded they were going to be, and had to please a lot of different people.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 24, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol of course Lindelof is a liar. Nice to finally see the quote from an authoritative source that supports what a lot of the show's critics have always thought.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also according to a separate thing with Fury, at one point they considered making the island being an alien spaceship accessed via the hatch, before changing their minds.

That would be awesome

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Binging through Silo. It's not very good, but the fact that Common plays almost the exact same role in the kids movie Smallfoot is leading to some laughs.

Through 8 episodes, it feels like the whole thing is leading up to the same musical number he had in the movie.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Jury Duty. I'm only on episode 3 but I've had more giggles at this then anything lately. The narrator, just describing whats being shown, gets me sometimes. Kind of sad about there only being 8 episodes honestly.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Robobot posted:

So it’s basically Below Deck in space?

After looking that up, yes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
After Cop Rock, I decided to watch Blackpool. It took me a while to figure out that the star, David Morrissey, was The Governor on The Walking Dead.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ShowTime posted:

Jury Duty. I'm only on episode 3 but I've had more giggles at this then anything lately. The narrator, just describing whats being shown, gets me sometimes. Kind of sad about there only being 8 episodes honestly.

It was funny in parts. Kind of Joe Schmo redux.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

I've started watching Secret Invasion and it's... bad? Honestly I am three episodes in and I have thought several times that I must have missed some show or movie or that there is some other reason why I can't understand what the characters are saying or doing, like I am not hearing things right or not paying enough attention or something. It's just a mess, it's got big time characters and great actors yet it feels like they're just doing whatever, like there's no real reason for any of it. Really weird.

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 27, 2023

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Its a bad show hth

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Throw Secret Invasion in the trash and check out Deadloch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Deadloch is great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Deadloch rules, Secret Invasion was bad and a huge waste of time

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

withak posted:

Deadloch is great.

The line from episode 8 that absolutely killed me was "Why don't we forget about this, just go have a cuddle on the couch and watch a Buffy?"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just binge-watched Melrose Place season 1 over the past couple weeks, hot drat that's some good 90s. Not exactly Twin Peaks, but there's a certain magic to the kind of earnest quirky charming melodrama cheese. I feel like I wouldn't love a prime time soap kind of show from say 2007, but this one from the early 90s is highly addictive.

I did also really enjoy Beverly Hills 90210 season 1-6 (Luke Perry leaves etc) a few years ago too. Just a lot of charm, and since it's so different from the TV I'm used to, these shows feel fresh to me somehow. And I like their quirks and nuttiness.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Watched Devs. It sucked. Too bad. Alex Garland can make great movies, Annihilation is one of my favorites, but it was torturous to watch a TV show that was 90% filler and 10% boring recycled sci-fi ideas.

Somehow they managed to make even Nick Offerman seem like a bad actor. Atrocious writing, atrocious cast, extremely stupid characters, and like half the screen time was the rear end in a top hat security guy being an rear end in a top hat.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

100% disagree.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DamnGlitch posted:

100% disagree.

100% agree with your disagreement. Have no idea what show he was watching.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

100% agree with your disagreement. Have no idea what show he was watching.

The boring one with bad pacing, way too many helicopter shots set to music, and a wet fart of an ending.

I would like to know what was good about the show though. The music was pretty good and the sets were neat. I liked Jamie, he got done wrong.

It could have been a decent movie.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

The boring one with bad pacing, way too many helicopter shots set to music, and a wet fart of an ending.

I would like to know what was good about the show though. The music was pretty good and the sets were neat. I liked Jamie, he got done wrong.

It could have been a decent movie.

Not so much bad as boring, I had a hard time even recollecting any of it reading the synopsis. One of those shows where I wonder if it is aimed at people who get stoned to watch TV. Agreed on the wasted potential.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Just got through the first season and on to the second of Hulu's This Fool. If you're in the mood for a half hour comedy you could do a lot worse.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Just finished Hijack. First 4 episodes were pretty engaging, although it is a very dumb show. I could recommend it if you want to be thrilled and don't mind actions and decisions that don't make any sense

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Finished up Perry Mason season 2 while on a work trip this week and I enjoyed it. I would give the season and the series overall a solid 8/10. Shame that HBO cancelled it because it spent a lot of time in seasons 1 and 2 building the characters and the world of 1930s LA. Could have really paid off with a longer series. Still very much worth a watch and it ended in a good place.

Matthew Rhys and Shea Whigham are legit the best buddy cop duo to come along in forever.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

From what I remember the show was absurdly expensive for no reason. There was at least one flashback war scene and it looked like it was from a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I remember the show was absurdly expensive for no reason. There was at least one flashback war scene and it looked like it was from a movie.

They spent a fortune on the sets and costumes all around, I think. It had to have been outrageously expensive reproducing 1930s LA with the fidelity they managed, even if it was visually impressive as all hell. I'm sad it got cancelled either way. Noir at its finest and absolutely gorgeous to look at in just about every scene.

Matthew Rhys yet again showing off his big league acting chops.