Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Whoa now, that's a lot to lay at Eric Lang's doorstep don't you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
eric isn't remotely the worst guy to have done this but he is probably the most old guard guy to have done this

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'd say that Eric Lang is certainly the best designer to make a lot of minis stuff, and I would imagine that his choice of materials is partially related to creating Chaos In The Old World on the Warhammer license at FFG and/or ending up at Cool Mini Or Not to create Blood Rage pretty early in the Kickstarter wave. Or at least, I think it was pretty early, but my research was kind of unclear as to when things really got rolling, and the ones I recalled were also 2015.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Exploding Kittens was 2015 and Kingdom Death Monster was 2016 so that tracks. There was an old KS news post about board game kickstarters getting raising around 20 million during 2012, and 47% of BG kickstarters succesfully getting funded (https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/the-year-of-the-game) so it was definitely not sudden but more of a steady rise over time.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Has anyone played the SPIEL DE JAHRES https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/370591/dorfromantik-board-game?

It looks very cute and right up mine and my wife's alley since we basically started our relationship playing Carcassonne.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I've played the computer game it's based on which is basically single player Carc, which makes this board game adaptation kind of amusing.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

FulsomFrank posted:

Has anyone played the SPIEL DE JAHRES https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/370591/dorfromantik-board-game?

It looks very cute and right up mine and my wife's alley since we basically started our relationship playing Carcassonne.

I've played it once solo and once with a friend and we had a nice time. There's some vaguely Legacy-ish stuff where you unlock more pieces/tiles/rules that we haven't messed with yet, but just the base version was a pretty fun coffee & chill type thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Azran posted:

Exploding Kittens was 2015 and Kingdom Death Monster was 2016 so that tracks. There was an old KS news post about board game kickstarters getting raising around 20 million during 2012, and 47% of BG kickstarters succesfully getting funded (https://www.kickstarter.com/blog/the-year-of-the-game) so it was definitely not sudden but more of a steady rise over time.

Pull data on what like Hasbro or Parker Bros sells in board games for scale. I think KS numbers see bigger focus because of their visibility. How many copies of Gloomhaven did people buy from Target or Amazon? Or just bullshit games like CaH

e:

Apparently Gloomhaven proper has sold 200k copies as of 2020, which would be 26MM, even though their Kickstarters were <5MM

Cards Against Humanity was apparently selling 90-120k copies a month in 2018 on Amazon alone.

Hasbro did 5.857B in 2022, can't figure out how much of that was in board games

Board games on the whole were like 12B in 2021.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 21, 2023

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

taser rates posted:

I've played the computer game it's based on which is basically single player Carc, which makes this board game adaptation kind of amusing.

It looks like the board game is also single player Carc, the only real difference between the solo and co-op versions is that people take turns placing pieces. So yeah, no defense against quarterbacking, but that's not really an issue with a game this chill.

The PC game is incredibly good though, and the board game looks like it's adapting all the stuff that's great about the game to something that's better on the table, so not surprising that it's winning awards. The core of what's addictive about the original it is that you (mostly) have the freedom to place any piece anywhere, but then little optimization puzzles start sticking out. It's a lot of trying to fix problems that you made yourself. And yeah while it looks like that's all in the board game, I'll think I'll stick with the PC game, just because I have too many solos as is.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Got an event planning question in a King's Dilemma context.

At the end of my group's most recent session we were, I suspect, very close to the endgame:
* We're seventeen games deep.
* All six of the storylines have ending cards
* Five of the six Mystery Stickers have been revealed.
* The dilemma deck is looking incredibly thin.

As I understand, once the sixth Mystery Sticker comes out, we move on to The Grand Finale. I'm just wondering from folks in the know: Is that just final campaign scoring? Or is there, like, game in there? It's a little bit fiddly to get the group together so I don't want to go through the effort of doing that, setting the game up, and then flipping the first card over and have it say "Great now go home".

Is that... possible? Likely? Or is there a solid chunk of game still to go from that point?

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Some Strange Flea posted:

Got an event planning question in a King's Dilemma context.

There is a small and slightly anti-climatic ending. Light vs dark will have a battle, with players picking sides, and the sides being boosted by player actions and by the outcomes of all the main quest lines. This will then determine who wins the campaign. If all you have is that to do, you could probably get someone to DM it via online chat, but I can’t remember what triggers the final sticker.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Is that... possible? Likely? Or is there a solid chunk of game still to go from that point?

Depends on the group, but by the time everyone understood the terms of the finale and we’d worked through it, it was about 2 hours.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

PRADA SLUT posted:

Pull data on what like Hasbro or Parker Bros sells in board games for scale. I think KS numbers see bigger focus because of their visibility. How many copies of Gloomhaven did people buy from Target or Amazon? Or just bullshit games like CaH

e:

Apparently Gloomhaven proper has sold 200k copies as of 2020, which would be 26MM, even though their Kickstarters were <5MM

Cards Against Humanity was apparently selling 90-120k copies a month in 2018 on Amazon alone.

Hasbro did 5.857B in 2022, can't figure out how much of that was in board games

Board games on the whole were like 12B in 2021.

For sure seeing the big number in KS skews perception. GH is an incredibly expensive board game and it requires a ton of dedication to play. Plus it's also mostly a one purchase per playgroup thing. Even as successful as it is among enthusiasts it's not the kind of game that would sell millions of copies.

I'd probably say stuff like Codenames or Catan is closer in scale to Hasbro's stuff, but there's no way to know those numbers since CGE and the Catan company aren't publicly traded. Asmodee's probably the closest to Hasbro in the non-traditional board game scene and from what I could find they did 1.2B in sales for FY 21/22.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ICV2 posted:

[Wingspan] sales over the last four years were:

2022:  279,998
2021:  663,548
2020:  447,150
2019:  299,841

At a guess it's hitting saturation within the existing community.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It shows that the production quality is too high. For the sake of Stegmeir Games' future, a copy of Wingspan should only last for around 5 games before falling apart.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I've seen Stationfall described as a heavy weight party game.This actually sounds right up my alley, but after reading more about it, I suspect the weight might actually be a bit much for my playgroup. Are there any good suggestions for a medium weight party game?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Blood on the Clocktower is another social deduction if you want to stay in that lane. Pretty sure you can Print and Play (legally, hehe) it as well if you didn't want to spring for the box.

If you wanted to switch off social deduction games, Captain Sonar.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 23, 2023

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

uncle blog posted:

I've seen Stationfall described as a heavy weight party game.This actually sounds right up my alley, but after reading more about it, I suspect the weight might actually be a bit much for my playgroup. Are there any good suggestions for a medium weight party game?

I've heard it's got a bear of a teach, so it'd be a party game only with people you play regularly with.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

The End posted:

I've heard it's got a bear of a teach, so it'd be a party game only with people you play regularly with.

Yeah, nobody understood what we were doing until the end of the game. Probably if we play it again, it would go better.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Stationfall is a beast to teach right enough. Especially because you're maybe relying on that chaos for people to not see what's going on. So giving someone a little rules reminder that they can do x might torpedo someone else's game.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Played Space Alert today; surprised to enjoy it as I don't usually like this kind of thing, but the fact that it's a coop game definitely helps, and there's enough to do and enough ways to be useful that it stays interesting. I'm not sure if I'd want to play it too frequently, but it was certainly fun and didn't outstay its welcome.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

uncle blog posted:

"Medium weight party game" is i think the right attitude to bring to Betrayal at House on the Hill.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Azran posted:

Personally, I was the one who got my family and friends into board games but I legit can't remember how I started exactly, beyond the fact that my first board game was Sushi Go. This was back in, uh, 2014 or thereabouts? Back then I mostly played RPGs and miniature wargames like Warmachine, but then I discovered this thread and SUSD. I ordered Sushi Go abroad that summer and everyone loved it to bits and from then on I bought mostly goon-recommended stuff*. The only Kickstarter I ever pledged to was the Villages of Valeria one, and it was only at the PNP files tier.

* Seriously, I own 63 board games, more than half of them are pre-2015 and I think only 6 or 7 of my purchases didn't have goon input lol

I got started by having no friends in pre/grade school and playing games with my mom at home. Sorry, Othello, Wheel of Fortune, Monopoly. My grandma's house had a football playmaker game of some kind, and a home edition of Concentration, I played the crap out of those.

Eventually I graduated to Axis and Allies and Battle Masters, then in high school Settlers of Catan, Bootleggers, Cosmic Encounter and Twilight Imperium (2E), and then in the mid aughts the Internet age was in full swing and I really started buying way more crap than I needed or played.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

uncle blog posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Betrayal at House on the Hill.

We usually play social deduction games or light games at parties, but Betrayal at House on the Hill is one we played a lot despite having more rules. You're basically playing as the idiots in every B Horror Movie ever, then halfway through the game, the rules tell you which horror movie you're in and one of the players gets turned into the villain after which it is a co-op game against the player who got turned into the villain. Sometimes the movie/scenario rules are weighted heavily to one side or the other, but its usually good fun.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 24, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LLSix posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Betrayal at House on the Hill.

We usually play social deduction games or light games at parties, but Betrayal at House on the Hill is one we played a lot despite having more rules. You're basically playing as the idiots in every B Horror Movie ever, then halfway through the game, the rules tell you which horror movie your in and one of the players gets turned into the villain after which it is a co-op game against the player who got turned into the villain. Sometimes the movie/scenario rules are weighted heavily to one side or the other, but its usually good fun.

BAHOTH is an experience generator and needs to be taken as such to have actual fun. I remember playing a game of it some years ago with a couple of friends where we triggered the haunt on turn 1 and the game ended instantly. We had a laugh and reset for another game. That's the kind of thing it does.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

More than half of my games of betrayal were either close to unwinnable for one side, or just completely hosed over a player. Highlights include:

- Guy stuck under some rubble for something like 7 turns in a row
- My 2 friends got stuck in a paralysis trap for the entire haunt. After running in circles for 20 minutes, I tried to shoot an enemy with a ranged weapon and dealt a huge amount of damage. Turns out this enemy reflected attacks, something only the traitor knew about. I died instantly.
- Several games of running around the house, triggering the haunt and spending more time reading the special rules of the day than actually playing the game as the haunt lasted less than two turns.

Most haunts clearly don't care about balance and we've only had one or two close games.
I don't know much about other experience generators but there has to be at least one medium weight party game better than that steaming pile.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Probably the hardest I’ve ever laughed during a game was a Betrayal session where the haunt was triggered by the professor picking up the Necronomicon. He was in the basement with Ox Bellows, who instantly cold cocked him and threw the book into the furnace on turn 1.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

At a guess it's hitting saturation within the existing community.

It could also be that they went exclusive to GTS Distribution (aside from direct orders). Plenty of stores would have bought more last year if they could have bought it from their usual distributors, but they can't, so they didn't.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Finally got to play some Dune Imperium.

Wow, what a game. Surprisingly thematic and a great little blend of worker placement and deck building. My partner started out with eyes glazed over during the rules explanation, but got super engaged quickly and we all spent half an hour after the game talking about what strategies we want to try next time, now that we understand the game flow better.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

If theres anything negative to be said about the Spiel des Jahres its that they love tile placement a little too much. We had Carcassonne, kingdomino, Azul, cascadia, qwuirkle and now Dorfromantik. Congrats to the winners as always.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

interrodactyl posted:

Finally got to play some Dune Imperium.

Wow, what a game. Surprisingly thematic and a great little blend of worker placement and deck building. My partner started out with eyes glazed over during the rules explanation, but got super engaged quickly and we all spent half an hour after the game talking about what strategies we want to try next time, now that we understand the game flow better.

:getin:

If you don't have it already, the Ix expansion improves the base game to the point where it doesn't ever make sense to play without it. Immortality is also very cool and good, but not as essential.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I asked a similar question back in March. Ended up buying SW Rebellion and The King is Dead. Both decent games, but not the slam dunk success I was hoping for. So I'll try my chances asking again:
I'm looking for a new game to play with the GF. I want it too be fairly meaty lasting somewhere between an hour or two-ish, ideally not more than 3 hours. I'm probably looking for something could be considered more or less a war game. Combating over areas on a shared map and such. These are some alternatives I've explored:

- We tried Star Wars Rebellion, but found it a bit long and too abstract with the heavy focus on space combat and moving between planets.
- I looked at 878 Vikings, but seems to be out of print for the moment. Found 1812 The Invasion of Canada at a store, but - and this might sound silly - wooden cubes instead of miniatures might be enough of a turn off for me.
- I already have Undaunted, but somehow that hasn't really clicked either (might be the lack of figures again lol).
- I've heard Inis is good with 2, but I've played that one to death.
- Looked at War of the Ring, but seems very long and fiddly, not to mention having horrible UX. But the game be worth the hassle? Many seems to be raving about it.
- Looked briefly at Memoir 44, but I have this preconception that the design might be dated (cus it's an old rear end game at this point), and might not be all that deep? Happy to be told otherwise!
- I have Root and love it, but even with Hirelings I don't think it shines at only 2 players.
-Apparently Civilization A New Dawn is okay at 2 with the expansion, but there doesn't seem to that much conflict/interaction as one is generally encouraged to race towards objectives and explore away from the other player.
- Have The King is Dead, which is a pretty cool game, but too abstract and short for what I'm looking for right now.
- A bunch of people seem to love Polis, but that might be too deterministic and too much of brain-burner for us. Would love to hear some impressions!
- Hands in the Sea looks like a good fit, but unfortunately impossible to get hold of.
- Shores of Tripoli seems fine? Might be a bit light, and seems a bit hard to get my hands on.
- Pax Pamir: Have seen people mentioning this being good at 2, but the verdict on BGG seems to suggest otherwise, not that that is the gospel of such things. Out of stock locally anyways.
- Dwellings of Eldervale: This looks like a parody of Kickstarter mishmash, but is apparently good? And might have enough combat/interaction for our tastes. Anybody tried this?
- Ankh seems to be a pretty polarising game, but another one that people claim are good at 2 players? Fits the thematic requirements pretty well.
- Tigris & Euphrates / Yellow & Yangtze: Seems like solid games, but both unavailable at the moment where I am.

tl:dr; Is there a decent medium/heavy war-ish game that's great at 2 players (could support more, or not) that lasts 2 hours or less (and has ok theme/table presence preferably with some sort of figures I can move around the map)?

edit:
Wouldn't mind there being some euro or engine building component in the game, as long as it's thematic and has some elements of area control and a lot of interaction

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 24, 2023

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
had some folks out on saturday and played some spirit island, i played lure and turned the board center into a desolate jungle wasteland of badlands and beast tokens and managed to keep like every tile around me empty with judicious repeat power uses of lure's innates. at the end of the game i had to have had something like 12 badlands and 16 or so beast tokens out since i also lucked into some minor powers that meshed well with making GBS threads them out all over. we almost lost tho due to some bad reach problems and events damaging our presence on the board.

i also played dune imperium and it was alright, i would need a second play to really pin down if i like it or not

uncle blog posted:

I asked a similar question back in March. Ended up buying SW Rebellion and The King is Dead. Both decent games, but not the slam dunk success I was hoping for. So I'll try my chances asking again:
I'm looking for a new game to play with the GF. I want it too be fairly meaty lasting somewhere between an hour or two-ish, ideally not more than 3 hours. I'm probably looking for something could be considered more or less a war game. Combating over areas on a shared map and such. These are some alternatives I've explored:
tl:dr; Is there a decent medium/heavy war-ish game that's great at 2 players (could support more, or not) that lasts 2 hours or less (and has ok theme/table presence preferably with some sort of figures I can move around the map)?

edit:
Wouldn't mind there being some euro or engine building component in the game, as long as it's thematic and has some elements of area control and a lot of interaction

its an older game but that sounds like Kemet would fit the bill. i'm not sure i'd call it a 'heavy wargame' style since combat is a pretty simplistic you v them power level with some battle card mods

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 24, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

uncle blog posted:

- We tried Star Wars Rebellion, but found it a bit long and too abstract with the heavy focus on space combat and moving between planets.
- I looked at 878 Vikings, but seems to be out of print for the moment. Found 1812 The Invasion of Canada at a store, but - and this might sound silly - wooden cubes instead of miniatures might be enough of a turn off for me.
- I already have Undaunted, but somehow that hasn't really clicked either (might be the lack of figures again lol).
- I've heard Inis is good with 2, but I've played that one to death.
- Looked at War of the Ring, but seems very long and fiddly, not to mention having horrible UX. But the game be worth the hassle? Many seems to be raving about it.
- Looked briefly at Memoir 44, but I have this preconception that the design might be dated (cus it's an old rear end game at this point), and might not be all that deep? Happy to be told otherwise!
- I have Root and love it, but even with Hirelings I don't think it shines at only 2 players.
-Apparently Civilization A New Dawn is okay at 2 with the expansion, but there doesn't seem to that much conflict/interaction as one is generally encouraged to race towards objectives and explore away from the other player.
- Have The King is Dead, which is a pretty cool game, but too abstract and short for what I'm looking for right now.
- A bunch of people seem to love Polis, but that might be too deterministic and too much of brain-burner for us. Would love to hear some impressions!
- Hands in the Sea looks like a good fit, but unfortunately impossible to get hold of.
- Shores of Tripoli seems fine? Might be a bit light, and seems a bit hard to get my hands on.
- Pax Pamir: Have seen people mentioning this being good at 2, but the verdict on BGG seems to suggest otherwise, not that that is the gospel of such things. Out of stock locally anyways.
- Dwellings of Eldervale: This looks like a parody of Kickstarter mishmash, but is apparently good? And might have enough combat/interaction for our tastes. Anybody tried this?
- Ankh seems to be a pretty polarising game, but another one that people claim are good at 2 players? Fits the thematic requirements pretty well.
- Tigris & Euphrates / Yellow & Yangtze: Seems like solid games, but both unavailable at the moment where I am.

edit:

I can’t say if it’s any good, but Voidfall is exactly that and releasing soon.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Picked up some games this weekend.

Here to Slay - My fiance bought this. It's basically a Munchkin game. The art is cute, but the gameplay is bad. It's so easy to collect six hero classes to win that the title of the game is misleading - there's almost no point to killing monsters.

For Northwood! - She bought this one also; it's a solo trick-taking game with very cute artwork. It's a deck of regular playing cards, except the cards 9/10/J/Q/K all have animals on them with special abilities, and the four copies of 1-8s are the deck you're trying to take tricks from. It's much more difficult than the cute art had me believe, but it's also relaxing. A good solo game that doesn't take up much table space.

The Crew - Found this sealed at a yard sale for $2! We didn't have time to play it yet, but I love yard sale finds like this.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Eraflure posted:

More than half of my games of betrayal were either close to unwinnable for one side, or just completely hosed over a player. Highlights include:

- Guy stuck under some rubble for something like 7 turns in a row
- My 2 friends got stuck in a paralysis trap for the entire haunt. After running in circles for 20 minutes, I tried to shoot an enemy with a ranged weapon and dealt a huge amount of damage. Turns out this enemy reflected attacks, something only the traitor knew about. I died instantly.
- Several games of running around the house, triggering the haunt and spending more time reading the special rules of the day than actually playing the game as the haunt lasted less than two turns.

Most haunts clearly don't care about balance and we've only had one or two close games.
I don't know much about other experience generators but there has to be at least one medium weight party game better than that steaming pile.

All that stuff sounds funny and cool to me, though it's worth mentioning that a lot of that kind of stuff will just not happen in the third edition, for better or for worse.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

uncle blog posted:

edit:

I can only think of old games. Earth Reborn, Claustrophobia, or something like BattleTech (that's more of a straight-up minis game). I don't think there's anything wrong with M44.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

uncle blog posted:

I'm probably looking for something could be considered more or less a war game. Combating over areas on a shared map and such. These are some alternatives I've explored:

There's a wargames thread you could ask https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

check out:

wargames:
Sekigihara - the Unification of Japan
twilight struggle
heroes of Stalingrad / normandie / shadows over cthulhu

not:
Hallertau
the Transcontinental
Imperium: Classics / Imperium: Legends
snowdonia
grand austria hotel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

uncle blog posted:

Imperium: the Contention. Bland name, very tight 4x in about 30 mins to an hour. Scales up well, basically a mini-Twilight Imperium game.