Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder how many teenagers are going to get like halfway through Oppenheimer and realize that they liked the idea of watching it more than they actually like watching it.

The girl and her boyfriend next to me in the BFI IMAX spent the trailers taking selfies and carefully set photos of tickets in their massive box of popcorn. Then the girl proceeded every give minutes to check her phone and scroll through things and take the odd snap of the cinema screen.

Then I read these brain dead takes on Twitter and realise everyone is loving demented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I seriously do not understand the rotten tomatoes Oppenheimer score, it was okay but not like 94% great

I enjoyed Interstellar way more and it gets dragged by goons way more

yeah, same. I want to read American Prometheus now though

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

quote:

"I have great respect for the people who offer themselves in that sacrificial role,"[ [his] voice is mellifluous and macho at once. I could listen to it all day. "But I also have great criticisms of the way the military is currently organized. I'd hate to have it on the record that I 'like the military.' But our entry into the Korean and Vietnam wars reflect very well upon the American people. The motive was not imperialistic at all, but genuinely altruistic. We were willing to send our children off to war to protect, as we saw it -- as we were told to see it -- to protect the freedom of other nations. And like Ender, if we were lied to, we're still not responsible for the actions we took based on what we believed. Our leaders, in both cases, made mistakes. The Grenada thing -- I think the record is absolutely clear that that was a good thing."

one america's great scifi authors. Seems relevant to oppenheimer discourse

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Fitzy Fitz posted:

yeah, same. I want to read American Prometheus now though

I had someone call themselves a Nolan aficionado and that Interstellar was trash compared to Insomnia. I want to like the latter more, I just find it a slog and only really care for the actors and the score. I'd say the weakest post-2010 film is TDKR because of other things forcing rewrites.

Honestly, I don't know if "enjoy" is what you do with a film like Oppenheimer. The girl at the cinema giving us the tickets even said "Enjoy the film, or rather, appreciate it" and that stuck with me

Does anyone "enjoy" Schindler's List for example?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Plus Interstellar is a very enjoyable movie its just also dumb as gently caress

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Does anyone "enjoy" Schindler's List for example?

???

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

The girl and her boyfriend next to me in the BFI IMAX spent the trailers taking selfies and carefully set photos of tickets in their massive box of popcorn. Then the girl proceeded every give minutes to check her phone and scroll through things and take the odd snap of the cinema screen.

Then I read these brain dead takes on Twitter and realise everyone is loving demented.

lol going to the theater sounds like hell now. sure am glad movies are all pretty lovely these days

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

What I mean is, it's not a spectacle or a popcorn film. It's not something you go with mates to see at a movie night and be all "My favourite scene is coming up, Fiennes about to take pot shots at the Juden" or anything. It's art that has a massive slice of history that shows a pretty nasty side of humanity.

I enjoy escapism, but I appreciate and think on films that are about deeper topics like inner demons or historical events etc.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

insane clown pussy posted:

lol going to the theater sounds like hell now. sure am glad movies are all pretty lovely these days

To be fair, the display on her mobile was dim and had one of those privacy filters on. That said, she clearly was there because BF dragged her and was only really focused on the screen when the bomb was getting ready. And when Emily Blunt was being badass.

Otherwise, I hear the US cinema situation is much less tolerable, yes.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

shes right

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

StashAugustine posted:

Plus Interstellar is a very enjoyable movie its just also dumb as gently caress

I remember it coming out and afterwards having a discussion with a friend who hated it because it perpetuated the concept of loving up a planet and then just moving on elsewhere, like one would after pillaging a nice village. I get what he meant, and I agree that it isn't a great way to frame the climate collapse thing as a science and human spirit will persevere (and I don't even know how the Lazarus Project was going to really save us anyway).

That said, Interstellar is one of my all time favourite sci-fi flicks for the score, visuals, overall vibe of the film.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I saw interstellar at Cinerama after seeing the movie poster outside and I had zero idea what it was about going in.

I thought it was fantastic, as a result.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mission Impossible is better than either Oppenheimer or Barbie in sheer entertainment value
having seen only MI, i feel like it's also a more obviously made-for-cinema subject? like, sure, oppenheimer does have nukes, but it's my understanding that both the other movies are more about talking.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao the marketing worked even on the cspam goons
"even", like there's not a contingent here that's on the hype train before it even gets going

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

That said, she ... was only really focused on the screen when the bomb was getting ready. And when Emily Blunt was being badass.
a respectable choice.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

https://twitter.com/camarilla_/status/1682813085235441664?s=20

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

one america's great scifi authors. Seems relevant to oppenheimer discourse

it's crazy that he misunderstood the point of his own loving book

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

indigi posted:

death of the author (author thought too hard about own book and had aneurysm)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

indigi posted:

the point of the book was "let me craft a scenario where I can ethically save humanity by doing a genocide on accident, because im the chosen one"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

you're as smart as Card

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

QUEER FRASIER posted:

looking forward to more cspammers getting over themselves enough to consume the barbie movie rather than just barbie movie discourse

I been wanting to watch it, crowded theaters suck though

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

The gently caress is a tortoise?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oppenheimer discourse has compelled me to post this nuclear hot take: Its a good thing the Soviets got the bomb because otherwise World War 3 would have probably started in the '70s and would have ended with everyone east of the Vistula being turned into shadows on the pavement.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it probably would have started in Korea

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

there wouldn't have been a ww3 in the conventional sense of big industrialized nations fighting it out, we'd have just continued nuking various cities as a matter of foreign diplomacy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I doubt the eastern bloc would have just sat there chilling as nukes fell on Korea and China. the fallout alone would have been devastating to Central and Western Europe as tactical nukes were dropped on advancing armies

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well obviously you take advantage of the turtle’s moment of weakness and crack that bad boy open. Then you gorge yourself on sweet delicious turtle meat and nutritious turtle fluids.

That’s how it goes in the desert baby. That’s what you’re supposed to do!

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

indigi posted:

I doubt the eastern bloc would have just sat there chilling as nukes fell on Korea and China. the fallout alone would have been devastating to Central and Western Europe as tactical nukes were dropped on advancing armies

i mean if we're assuming only the us has nuclear weapons and postwar economic conditions are otherwise the same, what are they gonna do?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

regular bombs still work

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ok just saw barbie and one of the takeaways you could very reasonably leave with is that if barbie (women) had been nicer to ken (men), the kens would not have oppressed the barbies

for all the ironic distancing it could not escape being a toy movie, the sets and costumes and gosling and robbie and cera and ferrera were good tho

weird to see a stephen malkmus/pavement joke in such a big movie, i wonder if more than 1% of audiences even know who he is

https://twitter.com/dronecoma/status/1682704111785918466

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

I seriously do not understand the rotten tomatoes Oppenheimer score, it was okay but not like 94% great

I enjoyed Interstellar way more and it gets dragged by goons way more

that's not how rottentomatoes works

if it's broadly appealing and everyone thinks it's a solid 7/10 that translates to a 100% rt score

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Barbie is bigger than AVATAR!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I remember it coming out and afterwards having a discussion with a friend who hated it because it perpetuated the concept of loving up a planet and then just moving on elsewhere, like one would after pillaging a nice village. I get what he meant, and I agree that it isn't a great way to frame the climate collapse thing as a science and human spirit will persevere (and I don't even know how the Lazarus Project was going to really save us anyway).

That said, Interstellar is one of my all time favourite sci-fi flicks for the score, visuals, overall vibe of the film.

I like interstellar but it is a very lib-brained movie. The scene at the beginning where McConaughey's character is arguing with the school principal or whoever and he's like "Yeah, poo poo's hosed people are starving we really need farmers right now." And McConaughey's character all indignant is like "My daughter is going to go to COLLEGE!!!"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

netizen posted:

I like interstellar but it is a very lib-brained movie. The scene at the beginning where McConaughey's character is arguing with the school principal or whoever and he's like "Yeah, poo poo's hosed people are starving we really need farmers right now." And McConaughey's character all indignant is like "My daughter is going to go to COLLEGE!!!"

the problem wasn't a lack of farmers it was that nearly every domesticated crop was susceptible to a rapidly mutating disease

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

the problem wasn't a lack of farmers it was that nearly every domesticated crop was susceptible to a rapidly mutating disease

Listen, there's nothing anyone can do about a disease, so the most important thing you can do is keep going to work.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

indigi posted:

I actually looked up that scene real quick since I own the disc and yea he literally tells him "We don't need anymore engineers we need farmers. We didn't run out of TVs we ran out of food." Although it was in regards to his son not his daughter I got that part wrong.The university only takes a handful of applicants and his son didn't pass muster.

It's very much a lib-brained experts are going to solve all our problems kind of movie. Still fun, though.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What was Matthew McConaughey's character going to do at the end of interstellar, he just fucks off into space in a one-man pod ship to go looking for catwoman

How is he going to get there, how does he know where she is, did I miss something because it just seems like he kills himself to me at the end

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Hot take: Ken did nothing wrong

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tighclops posted:

What was Matthew McConaughey's character going to do at the end of interstellar, he just fucks off into space in a one-man pod ship to go looking for catwoman

How is he going to get there, how does he know where she is, did I miss something because it just seems like he kills himself to me at the end

Given they basically unified physics by getting the data they needed from inside Gargantua, I expect they have mastered wormholes given the new version of the Ranger he steals is smaller and nowhere near able to do anything but a short hop in space.

Don't think too much about that part. Else you'll be wondering about how Caine's lot at NASA got the O'Neill station up in space.

I kinda like the argument with the Principal at the start. It shows you how hosed the planet is where they're literally getting everyone to do as much farming as they can as society collapses around them. They stop getting okra because of the blight, even. They have no love for those who talk of a time when things like MRIs exist, and can't imagine anything better. It's actually a horribly depressing slow collapse that will only accelerate as the blight kills off anything making oxygen later on ("The last people to starve, will be the first to suffocate.") meaning everything is on borrowed time.

Obviously we need film to happen and it's Hollywood, so Cooper gets out there to use a science to win. That's my only real disappointment, which as my friend mentioned, exonerates the human ingenuity and technology angle.

In other news, just got done with the rest of Black Mirror season six and "Mazey Day" and "Demon 79" show the Red Mirror thing to be more likely now. The latter was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Given they basically unified physics by getting the data they needed from inside Gargantua, I expect they have mastered wormholes given the new version of the Ranger he steals is smaller and nowhere near able to do anything but a short hop in space.

Don't think too much about that part. Else you'll be wondering about how Caine's lot at NASA got the O'Neill station up in space.

I kinda like the argument with the Principal at the start. It shows you how hosed the planet is where they're literally getting everyone to do as much farming as they can as society collapses around them. They stop getting okra because of the blight, even. They have no love for those who talk of a time when things like MRIs exist, and can't imagine anything better. It's actually a horribly depressing slow collapse that will only accelerate as the blight kills off anything making oxygen later on ("The last people to starve, will be the first to suffocate.") meaning everything is on borrowed time.

Obviously we need film to happen and it's Hollywood, so Cooper gets out there to use a science to win. That's my only real disappointment, which as my friend mentioned, exonerates the human ingenuity and technology angle.

In other news, just got done with the rest of Black Mirror season six and "Mazey Day" and "Demon 79" show the Red Mirror thing to be more likely now. The latter was great.

That makes sense I guess, but they didn't show him entering another wormhole or anything like that so it just seems like he condemns himself to a pointlessly slow death lmao