Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Gardening YouTube and Tiktok are both fun resources if you're looking for ideas.

But yeah, I got the Maryland Master Gardener handbook when we moved into a house with a yard. Expensive though!

e: You can also be me and ignore the master gardener advice about mulching your beds and fight a losing battle against early blight every year

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Had to pull a wilty cucumber. Hoping to get a decent harvest from the neighboring cucumber plant before it too succumbs. I was definitely overzealous and crowded my raised beds, but it was too exciting not to. In better news, the tomato I garroted about 5” from the ground has begun producing fruit. :3: I have a ferment going with anaheims and am inundated with jalapeños. I also crowded my peppers, and the bell peppers have both bells and jalapeños, while the jalapeños are growing some suspiciously anaheim-like fruit. The habs finally took to fruiting, and the lemon drops have finally flowered. Good times.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Had to pull a wilty cucumber. Hoping to get a decent harvest from the neighboring cucumber plant before it too succumbs. I was definitely overzealous and crowded my raised beds, but it was too exciting not to. In better news, the tomato I garroted about 5” from the ground has begun producing fruit. :3: I have a ferment going with anaheims and am inundated with jalapeños. I also crowded my peppers, and the bell peppers have both bells and jalapeños, while the jalapeños are growing some suspiciously anaheim-like fruit. The habs finally took to fruiting, and the lemon drops have finally flowered. Good times.

We have harvested 2 cucumbers from at least a dozen plants this year. All have succumbed to wilt immediately after first fruiting. It’s been an awful year for cucumbers, at least here in Indiana in zone 6.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My china jade cucumbers have really taken off. I've already made the salad that everyone makes with these things, but I'm going to need some more ideas at this rate.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Cucumbers are a fun addition to stir fry.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The inevitable fate of all of my produce. Thanks, I'll have to try it. My summer stir fries usually have some mix of tempeh, eggplants, long beans, chilis, and bitter melons.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Peppers don’t mind being a little crowded, and they’ll just grow into each other and make a maze of branches. Keeping them separate only matters if you’re trying to save seeds for next year. Otherwise I will often plant them about 9” apart and just let them go. They just need fertilizing in June and July and that will take them through while closely planted.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PokeJoe posted:

I started growing wine caps this year and it's the easiest shroom ive ever grown. you just throw some spawn in the woodchips and mushrooms happen

Good to know, definitely looking for stuff that's gonna be low effort for my first year.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So what rear end in a top hat bug is this that invaded my strongest tomato plant that made me cut off the leading vine?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Hmm weird, looks like some kinda Hymenoptera. What part of the country are you in?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Bay area CA

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ooh, tomatillo definitely seems likely. Thanks!

Tomatillo followup: still thriving with nothing but rain and occasional hose water. Shoved a couple bamboo sticks in there that the POs had lying around, but may need to add more support soon.

Also, a few weeks ago we bought a seeded watermelon and just for fun I threw the seeds in an empty pot to see if they'd grow. They did!

I probably planted them too late to get any fruit, but it'll be interesting to try earlier in the year next year.

Next year's when the real fun starts, I'm planning on putting in a pretty sizable concrete block raised bed. Very excited to get some garden tomatoes again, store bought are terrible.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Also, another identification question from me. Found this guy growing right next to our house in the front. Any idea what it is?

Google Lens seems to think it's a redbud, in which case it definitely needs to be yoinked out.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Also, another identification question from me. Found this guy growing right next to our house in the front. Any idea what it is?

Google Lens seems to think it's a redbud, in which case it definitely needs to be yoinked out.

iNaturalist agrees it’s in the Genus Cercis

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Spent today balancing on the edge of a truck bed setting bagworm nests on fire with a weed torch.

Property ownership is so exciting.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Spikes32 posted:

Bay area CA

Maybe a sawfly? Can't find a good match...

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My mysterious squash plant finally had to be put down, the previously mentioned method for squash borer removal definitely kept it going for a little longer but some horrible moldy poo poo started growing on some of the leaves so I called it. At any rate I was able to harvest one (1) giant rear end squash from it.

Tomatoes presented for scale

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sure looks like a spaghetti squash.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That’s what I’m thinking. Guess we’ll find out soon lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Redbuds are the weediest trees, but they're also lovely and planted intentionally all the time.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

GlyphGryph posted:

Good to know, definitely looking for stuff that's gonna be low effort for my first year.

Update: all these came from a single potted blueberry today. All the maintenance/care was just watering the plant

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sometimes people on the internet say wine caps don't taste that good. I'm here to be a person online that says yes they do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

Sometimes people on the internet say wine caps don't taste that good. I'm here to be a person online that says yes they do.

Wine caps are awesome. People who don’t like mushrooms shouldn’t be allowed to post on the internet. Or speak about them ever.

Those looked awesome.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Update: all these came from a single potted blueberry today. All the maintenance/care was just watering the plant

Some hosed up looking blueberries

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Redbuds are the weediest trees, but they're also lovely and planted intentionally all the time.

I'd love to have one! Just not a foot from my foundation.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Made a small 5x3 bed closer to the house so Mrs Pony could grow some herbs and such in a more convenient spot than the garden.

Any suggestions for a good mix of stuff to put in it? Central VA Zone 7a/7b full sun.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

Made a small 5x3 bed closer to the house so Mrs Pony could grow some herbs and such in a more convenient spot than the garden.

Any suggestions for a good mix of stuff to put in it? Central VA Zone 7a/7b full sun.

You could probably get some cucumbers, pole/bush beans, herbs, radishes, and summercrisp lettuce varieties (check Johnny’s seeds) for harvest before fall. Otherwise would be a good spot for some fall/winter brassicas. Start a couple of kale plants and enjoy kale from your lil tree until Thanksgiving.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Shifty Pony posted:

Specifically herbs and herb-like things? Random notes:
  • Alliums, if they count, are easy mode gardening, and I always grow some non-bulb-forming bunching onions to always have onion greens handy. That said, I dedicate a slightly larger patch of garden to alliums (8' x 2') and that's borderline in terms of keeping up with cooking for two, so I don't know what kind of luck you'd have if you were splitting the space up to use with other stuff as well
  • Thyme works well as a container plant, and it'll work as ground cover around taller stuff to help keep out weeds. You end up having to pull it up after a few years because it'll start getting woody
  • Parsley will grow well in that footprint, but it puts down a very substantial root system and wants to get dug up at the end of the year, so you want to be careful planting it near anything else that might not like the ground being dug up a lot (like other things with extensive root systems, or anything that might sprawl over to crowd it)
  • Cilantro and epazote work great in smaller footprint containers, but keep in mind that they'll go to seed and self-propagate like mad. I like this, but if you don't want to have to worry about cilantro/coriander seedlings you have to stay on top of it
  • Basils of all kind work great in this kind of space, but the larger varieties (like Genovese basil) will get huge and might shade out other stuff in the bed. Even if you pesto-ize very aggressively. So if you plant basil, figure out the direction of sunlight and be sure to put it "downstream" of the light source. Holy basil and Thai basil aren't as aggressive and work pretty well as companion plants for things that like a little bit of shade (I usually checkboard Thai and holy basil plants with pepper plants, for example)
  • Some herbs will grow fine in like this, but the yield will be small. That's been my experience with e.g. oregano and marjoram

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

So far we are thinking cilantro, chives, a small amount of basil at the back. Greens are a really good idea.

Mostly smaller stuff since our main garden is about 20'x70' of useable space when you subtract the berry bushes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shifty Pony posted:

Whoops, sorry, missed that this was a supplementary garden. I'd suggest chervil if you like its subtle licorice-adjacent flavor; it's pretty much impossible to find in stores. Ditto tarragon, although it likes to have cold feet. Always have a thyme, you'll be snipping it constantly. Do not bother with sage; nobody uses as much sage as a sage plant takes up space.

I would put in a few radishes because they're just so satisfying. Sprouts within days, edible within a couple of weeks, full size in 30 days.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 24, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

comedy option is a block of ten corn stalks (adjust quantity to get proper spacing). get you some good fishcorns!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
I lived at a place that had a bed about that size in the back yard that we planted early and late blooming strawberries in and I wish I still had that for making more jam. It also had an elderberry bush in one corner and some yarrow around.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Maybe a sawfly? Can't find a good match...

Pretty sure this was it. Thank you!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
After making me sweat about it since spring, it looks like the bitter melon volunteers (from seed that has to have been in the ground for at least two years) have started producing:

Last year I thought I'd lost the seed line I'd been propagating for almost a decade because the vines were vigorous but didn't produce any fruit. These volunteers have been growing well and they've been putting out plenty of male flowers for the past month or so, but they've just started producing fruit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

SubG posted:

Specifically herbs and herb-like things? Random notes:
  • Alliums, if they count, are easy mode gardening, and I always grow some non-bulb-forming bunching onions to always have onion greens handy. That said, I dedicate a slightly larger patch of garden to alliums (8' x 2') and that's borderline in terms of keeping up with cooking for two, so I don't know what kind of luck you'd have if you were splitting the space up to use with other stuff as well

My dad bought some bunching onions for $1 back in the 90s. He is still growing their descendants today. He also gifted some to my mother-in-law, who is also growing them. Pretty good bang for the buck, I'd say!

After a season of being back into growing herbs, I am very happy to be growing chives, rosemary, and thyme. They are all things that are needed frequently in moderate quantities. Sage, as another poster said, has proved more trouble than it is worth. It's just a scraggly looking bush in the crazy heat we're having. It takes up an entire container, and for my trouble, I occasionally use a single leaf.

We get a pretty good amount of Greek oregano out of a single plant in a 14" azalea pot, enough for summer grilling plus some to dry. It's a prostrate plant though, and so will act more like ground cover and sprawl out.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I keep meaning to post a state of the garden this year:

And last year at the exact same time for comparison:

As you may be able to tell, it's much more businesslike this year, with no interplanted flowers. Also you can tell that this year hasn't been 105 degrees all month with no rain. Mostly tomatoes and mostly mostly peppers this year; with Swiss chard, tomatillos, celery and herbs mixed in

Also also:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I am also of the tomatoes have no laws approach, that looks like a handful. Very pretty sammich with one of my family's favorite hot sauces in the background.

I'll get a picture of our pile when I get home, my wife has been living on tomato sandwiches for a while now.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Last year I was so worried about mildew that I trimmed and trained the tomatoes so there were no leaves below a foot of the ground, and only two main stems. They were... Unhappy. This year I just wife them through the wire occasionally and they love me

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Discussion Quorum posted:

After a season of being back into growing herbs, I am very happy to be growing chives, rosemary, and thyme. They are all things that are needed frequently in moderate quantities.
The "moderate quantities" part is really important. I need a whole parsley plant's worth of parsley at a time, not just one or two leaves. Gimme the bunch, which is why I buy parsley. I would have this problem with basil, but basil is immense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Soul Dentist posted:

Last year I was so worried about mildew that I trimmed and trained the tomatoes so there were no leaves below a foot of the ground, and only two main stems. They were... Unhappy. This year I just wife them through the wire occasionally and they love me

I love indeterminates, just kind of go out there every day and make sure it hasn't become too out of control. Fruit has support, top of the plant is growing the right way. They're hilarious plants.

*knocking really hard on wood* I don't think I've ever seen mildew on a tomato or other nightshade. I treat all my squash with copper early on because that one normally kicks my rear end but I've never seen it on anything else.

Cut your dirt out, burn what you pull. Tomatoes are incredibly tough plants but when they fall apart they go hard.