Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sky is blue, news at at 11 :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 72 days!
china is painting the sky blue to trick the international community

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jesus christ as if willfully stanning for Elon wasnt low enough

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
something that I keep seeing lately in the wake of Oppenheimer discourse is people bringing up China's feelings towards Japan as a sort of gotcha for "tankies"

that is, tankies, who are perennial critics of US imperialism and warmongering, and are also supporters of the PRC, are allegedly caught in a bind when it comes to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, because to say that the US shouldn't have done it, or was wrong to have done it, goes against what Chinese people wanted/want, ergo that Japan deserved it, and if anything should have been bombed all the more

and I find this argument specious and irritating because setting aside whether or not that is, in fact, a popular/majority opinion among Chinese, then and/or now, that's not an argument? like, just because the Chinese suffered far more at the hands of Imperial Japan and therefore had more of a reason to want that Japan be indiscriminately bombed does not make the bombing any less indiscriminate, or any less inutile, or any less immoral. It is, as I said, a "gotcha": oh, you say you support China, but you don't support their desire to wipe Japan off the map? you hypocrite!

further, and perhaps more pertinent, is that the issues China has with Japan today - rising militarism, historical revisionism and a refusal to acknowledge their crimes against the Chinese people (among others), and a staunch alliance with an America that is constantly antagonizing China - are themselves the result of deliberate policy decisions made by the US starting immediately after the war! If we acknowledge that the Chinese people are incensed at Japan, to put it mildly, that's still America's fault! The atomic bombings didn't actually put an end to all this nonsense because Uncle Sam put all the war criminals back in charge anyway in order to create a buffer state against China.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DanLamothe/status/1683140132570906624?s=20

quote:

HAPA DARA, Afghanistan — Sayed Wali Sajid spent years fighting American soldiers in the barren hills and fertile fields of the Pech River Valley, one of the deadliest theaters of the 20-year insurgency. But nothing confounded the Taliban commander, he said, like the new wave of foreigners who began showing up, one after another, in late 2021.

Once, Sajid spotted a foreigner hiking alone along a path where Islamic State extremists were known to kidnap outsiders. Another time, five men and women evaded Sajid’s soldiers in the dark to scour the mountain. The newcomers, Sajid recalled, were giddy, persistent, almost single-minded in their quest for something few locals believed held any value at all.

“The Chinese were unbelievable,” Sajid said, chuckling at the memory. “At first, they didn’t tell us what they wanted. But then I saw the excitement in their eyes and their eagerness, and that’s when I understood the word ‘lithium.’”

A decade earlier, the U.S. Defense Department, guided by the surveys of American government geologists, concluded that the vast wealth of lithium and other minerals buried in Afghanistan might be worth $1 trillion, more than enough to prop up the country’s fragile government. In a 2010 memo, the Pentagon’s Task Force for Business and Stability Operations, which examined Afghanistan’s development potential, dubbed the country the “Saudi Arabia of lithium.” A year later, the U.S. Geological Survey published a map showing the location of major deposits and highlighted the magnitude of the underground wealth, saying Afghanistan “could be considered as the world’s recognized future principal source of lithium.”

But now, in a great twist of modern Afghan history, it is the Taliban — which overthrew the U.S.-backed government two years ago — that is finally looking to exploit those vast lithium reserves, at a time when the soaring global popularity of electric vehicles is spurring an urgent need for the mineral, a vital ingredient in their batteries. By 2040, demand for lithium could rise 40-fold from 2020 levels, according to the International Energy Agency.

who's gonna say it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
wasn't that on mayor pete's map??

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gonna make cspam choose between the taliban and Iran

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Gonna make cspam choose between the taliban and Iran

as someone who hates women (bernie bro) I'm having a real hard time here

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
talibans ftw

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
*thinking real hard*

taliran ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

taliran ftw

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cuttlefush posted:

taliran ftw

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

wasn't that on mayor pete's map??

the knowledge that rat boy has to look on in impotent rage makes this a bit sweeter, not gonna lie

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
This Pech River Valley is right next to Pakistan? It should be pretty easy to build a railway link to Pakistan.

Jeez Pakistan doesn't use standard gauge either. Afghanistan is border countries that use 3 different gauges, madness.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
the israel of East Asia

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

something that I keep seeing lately in the wake of Oppenheimer discourse is people bringing up China's feelings towards Japan as a sort of gotcha for "tankies"

that is, tankies, who are perennial critics of US imperialism and warmongering, and are also supporters of the PRC, are allegedly caught in a bind when it comes to the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, because to say that the US shouldn't have done it, or was wrong to have done it, goes against what Chinese people wanted/want, ergo that Japan deserved it, and if anything should have been bombed all the more

and I find this argument specious and irritating because setting aside whether or not that is, in fact, a popular/majority opinion among Chinese, then and/or now, that's not an argument? like, just because the Chinese suffered far more at the hands of Imperial Japan and therefore had more of a reason to want that Japan be indiscriminately bombed does not make the bombing any less indiscriminate, or any less inutile, or any less immoral. It is, as I said, a "gotcha": oh, you say you support China, but you don't support their desire to wipe Japan off the map? you hypocrite!

further, and perhaps more pertinent, is that the issues China has with Japan today - rising militarism, historical revisionism and a refusal to acknowledge their crimes against the Chinese people (among others), and a staunch alliance with an America that is constantly antagonizing China - are themselves the result of deliberate policy decisions made by the US starting immediately after the war! If we acknowledge that the Chinese people are incensed at Japan, to put it mildly, that's still America's fault! The atomic bombings didn't actually put an end to all this nonsense because Uncle Sam put all the war criminals back in charge anyway in order to create a buffer state against China.

Actual tankies have a pretty straitforward attitude towards Japan. They just want to nuke it themselves. :v:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lol what the gently caress is that place

https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/t/new-rules-no-political-topics-any-more.8555/

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
always a good time to remind everyone that "tankies" is a pejorative for people who wanted to stop the hungarian fascists who were actively restarting the holocaust in 1956. Everyone who complains about "tankies" is an antisemite, upset khrushchev didn't let more jews be exterminated

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

you know who i blame for this? veterans. they didn't want it hard enough.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

uninterrupted posted:

always a good time to remind everyone that "tankies" is a pejorative for people who wanted to stop the hungarian fascists who were actively restarting the holocaust in 1956. Everyone who complains about "tankies" is an antisemite, upset khrushchev didn't let more jews be exterminated

Pro-Ukraine twitter waay screaming for NATO to send tanks to Budapest when Orban didn't toe the line on everything wrt to Russia.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I am always for sending the tanks into hungary

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

Who is the little guy holding the vampire? He looked terrified.

"i've followed you on many adventures, henry, but into the great unknown mystery, i go first"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a state assigned Renfield

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

I am always for sending the tanks into hungary

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

its the sinode fence forum

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Justice Minister Kiri Allan resigns after being charged over car crash https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/494338/justice-minister-kiri-allan-resigns-after-being-charged-over-car-crash

our justice minister has been in a slow-motion car crash after news of her being a massive bully came out, now decided to make it literal

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Chinese people (including the KMT) had no knowledge or decision making power over the bombs so it seems like a pretty hollow argument. The bombs were dropped because they needed to wrap the war up before the Soviets could potentially make even deeper inroads into Asia, but either way Japan, especially in Mainland China was going to be screwed.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US dropped the first bomb because they just wanted to grabbed Japan ASAP without the Soviet getting a "North Japan People's Republic". They dropped the 2nd bomb because they were testing a different bomb trigger mechanism.

My comment regarding the Oppenheimer movie. After watching it and reading up on the Rosenbergs and the Oppenheimer story. I feel that this scientist-turn-Manhattan-project-technocrat didn't have a very special real life story. He did what he was supposed to do and helped make the bomb. Making nuclear bomb isn't like come up with the theory of it, you throw enough man and resource in it, a large country will eventually get the bomb.

He never actually passed any info to the Soviet and expedited the cold war nuclear deterrence. He didn't push hard for any specific peaceful use of nuclear energy and wasn't that big of a McCarthyism victim either. He got forced out of the government but a new president gave him a presidential award to redeem his honor before his death.

And the movie isn't telling the story from the angle of the power and FBI pushing all the lefties scientists out of the government as soon as they got the bomb. His downfall was framed as a result of a vindictive person who was insulted by him in early years, which was true as far as I can tell from wiki. And again, not very special or interesting. His relationships with 2 women weren't that special either. I don't remember the movie make a point that his communist old frame killing herself makes a big impact for his later actions. Again real life events but I don't know what the moral of that episode was supposed to be.

Emily blunt did a good job playing his wife. Much better than all the boring female characters in Nolan's other movies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
heh
Diaries of Taiwan’s First President To Be Returned After Legal Battle with Stanford

sfstandard.com posted:

For nearly 18 years, 51 boxes of documents from former Taiwanese Presidents Chiang Kai-shek and Chiang Ching-kuo have been stashed at Stanford University. The documents include diary entries revealing personal and diplomatic insights into some of the most notable global political events of the last century.

But the question of who owns the historically valuable musings has been at the center of a decadelong legal battle involving the Taiwanese government, Chiang family members and the Hoover Institution at Stanford University.

Chiang Kai-shek reunified mainland China under a Nationalist Party government in 1925 after the fall of imperial rule and led the country through World War II.

He and communist leader Mao Zedong fought a costly civil war from 1927 to 1949, with Mao’s forces eventually emerging victorious. Chiang Kai-shek fled to Taiwan after the defeat and established a Nationalist-led government there. He presided over the island for another 26 years. His son Chiang Ching-kuo succeeded him as Taiwan’s president from 1978 to 1988.

Chiang Kai-shek reunified mainland China under a Nationalist Party government in 1925 after the fall of imperial rule. After his forces were defeated by Mao Zedong's communist insurgents in 1949, he retreated to Taiwan, where he led a Nationalist government for decades.

The files at Stanford contain the personal diaries of Chiang Kai-shek from 1917 to 1972 and Chiang Ching-kuo from 1937 to 1979, as well as various presidential speeches, diplomatic correspondence and political files throughout their reigns.

The documents provide source material about significant foreign affairs, including the battle for Chinese and Taiwanese representation at the United Nations in 1971, and reveal rare geopolitical insights, such as in Chiang Kai-shek’s letters with U.S. Presidents John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon, according to Hoover Institution research fellow and curator of the Modern China and Taiwan collection, Hsiao-ting Lin.

“These archival materials provide very rich firsthand information about the secrets of top leaders––what they thought about how countries should move forward,” Lin said.

San Jose’s U.S. District Court finally resolved the dispute on July 11, after 10 years of legal wrangling involving 15 individual Chiang family members and an official arm of the Taiwanese government.

Following a string of court rulings and settlements, ownership of the documents was awarded to Academia Historica, Taiwan’s official archive for presidential records and artifacts. Once received, they will publish the diaries and make other “relevant historical documents” available for public viewing, Academia Historica told The Standard.

“We are delighted to learn that the diaries will be returning to Taiwan,” the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in San Francisco told The Standard in a statement. “We firmly believe that the diaries’ accessibility to the public will greatly contribute to a deeper understanding of the history” of Taiwan.

## ‘The Most Requested Collection’

The documents were loaned to the Hoover Institution in 2005 by Chiang Fang Chi-yi, the daughter-in-law of Chiang Ching-kuo, who authorized the think tank to provide copies of the diaries to interested scholars. She and six other Chiang family members later signed agreements to pass on the ownership of the papers to Academia Historica.

“These archives provide unique insight into a critically important period in modern Chinese history and have become the most requested collection [in our archives],” the Hoover Institution said in a statement.

Rightful ownership of the documents was called into question when Chiang Yo-mei––the granddaughter of Chiang Ching-kuo––argued the diaries should be kept within the family and not given to Academia Historica.

Due to these differing claims of ownership, Stanford, which maintains it never owned the files, initiated a civil suit in September 2013 against all of the documents’ claimants.

A separate legal case on the same matter was filed in Taiwan by Academia Historica in November 2015, citing Taiwanese law regarding presidential materials.

In 2020, Taiwanese courts determined Academia Historica was the rightful owner of all presidential-related documents, including the diaries of both Taiwanese presidents while they were in office, while all other files were awarded to the family members. The decision was upheld on appeal in 2022, and U.S. courts recognized Taiwan’s decision.

The family members who had not already entered agreements with Academia Historica then settled with the institution to transfer ownership of the remaining personal documents. Chiang Yo-mei was the last of the family to enter an agreement in May 2023.

After 10 years of legal twists and turns, the case was ultimately resolved and closed in San Jose when the final defendant, who had failed to appear in court for years, had his claim extinguished.

Although the original documents will be returned to Taiwan, Stanford will continue to make copies of the papers available for scholars at the Hoover Institution.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

US dropped the first bomb because they just wanted to grabbed Japan ASAP without the Soviet getting a "North Japan People's Republic". They dropped the 2nd bomb because they were testing a different bomb trigger mechanism.

My comment regarding the Oppenheimer movie. After watching it and reading up on the Rosenbergs and the Oppenheimer story. I feel that this scientist-turn-Manhattan-project-technocrat didn't have a very special real life story. He did what he was supposed to do and helped make the bomb. Making nuclear bomb isn't like come up with the theory of it, you throw enough man and resource in it, a large country will eventually get the bomb.

He never actually passed any info to the Soviet and expedited the cold war nuclear deterrence. He didn't push hard for any specific peaceful use of nuclear energy and wasn't that big of a McCarthyism victim either. He got forced out of the government but a new president gave him a presidential award to redeem his honor before his death.

And the movie isn't telling the story from the angle of the power and FBI pushing all the lefties scientists out of the government as soon as they got the bomb. His downfall was framed as a result of a vindictive person who was insulted by him in early years, which was true as far as I can tell from wiki. And again, not very special or interesting. His relationships with 2 women weren't that special either. I don't remember the movie make a point that his communist old frame killing herself makes a big impact for his later actions. Again real life events but I don't know what the moral of that episode was supposed to be.

Emily blunt did a good job playing his wife. Much better than all the boring female characters in Nolan's other movies.

Hollywood is kind of low on ideas at the moment, at least they could have some big explosions with this script.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Unleash Chang!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

quote:

Chiang Kai-shek reunified mainland China under a Nationalist Party government in 1925 after the fall of imperial rule and led the country through World War II.

that's an interesting way to put "seized control of the ruling party after the founder died"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just a reminder that Chiang chin kuo had an affair with a young woman during the war who he later had murdered because it would be too embarrassing, and later sent a hit squad to assassinate a Chinese American writer in his home in California because he wouldn't stop writing about it (Chiang chin kuo murdering his girlfriend). The US government was only a little annoyed at Taiwan openly murdering Americans in America, but can't stop screaming today about nonexistent Chinese police stations on flushing.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

that's an interesting way to put "seized control of the ruling party after the founder died"

Yeah I was going to jump on that sentense because at best he reached the Cao Cao height, which was hoarding the capital and most resource and made other warlords paid lip service to him. He didn't unify poo poo.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he unified it so hard that he was overthrown by a rival government

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
But at what cost

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1683296709751758848?t=BoVHAK8VpwD-wBEK-gF_5A&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

💅🏻

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah I was going to jump on that sentense because at best he reached the Cao Cao height, which was hoarding the capital and most resource and made other warlords paid lip service to him. He didn't unify poo poo.

buddy, this is an incredible slander on the good name of cao mengde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i love how British media all now has that certain tone pioneered by the Guardian

because every journo is a nepo placement that went to the same university