Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Carbohydrates posted:

Ooh, hope you dig it! This one still turns heads more than anything else I have at conventions, ha.
I'm even happier with this than almost anything I've bought officially from Lego, thanks for making it.

Only tiny thing I noticed was Tiny House step 10 the piece list box covers the instruction image, but it's obvious where they go so it didn't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's pretty dope.

And I loving hate tiny houses

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Since we're talking about the moral/ethical pitfalls of knockoffs and clones, I think one way to be budget conscious is to pay the rebrickable creators, but then order the pieces from the various Chinese factories, especially if they aren't easily found on bricklink used.

I just got in an order of minifigs for my kid I'm pretty pleased with - these 8 figures from the new spider-verse (no Peter Parkers which is nice, and his best friend in school pretends to be Pavitr Prabhakar so it's cool to get that fig). Weird web shooter hand option I didn't care for so I just used two regular hands on each

then 4 figs from Quantummania, it's crazy Kang doesn't have a licensed minifig

and then some JP dinos at a reasonable price of a $6 for the pack of 8

Of course, right after the order shipped, Red Sun superman popped up for sale, so now I need ANOTHER order :sigh:

Interesting. Those dinosaurs are such a good price and, on the face of it, seem identical to the Lego molds. I've ordered a load on a whim because the Official sets are so expensive.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If it's just a few pieces to replace missing stuff I wouldn't grumble, but if I were paying for a set from my childhood and found out everything other than the unique prints had been lifted brand new from a Lego warehouse last week I'd personally feel like I got a bit ripped off. Especially for a proper retro set, you're paying for a piece of history and that's a big part of what commands the premium as it ages.

Besides which I'm not totally convinced even unchanged molds/colors are indistinguishable between new and old. I guess maybe it's a different story if you're popping them out of a sealed plastic bag vs my old pieces that have been rattling around in boxes for decades, but I think I can usually tell if a part is older. Even if the dimensions of the mold are unchanged, surely they've had to swap them out over the decades, besides minute changes I'm assuming happened in the plastic and dyes. Even if they are 100% indistinguishable though, as long as I was aware I definitely wouldn't be willing to pay the same.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Boco_T posted:

Only tiny thing I noticed was Tiny House step 10 the piece list box covers the instruction image, but it's obvious where they go so it didn't stop me.
Ah, weird. Glad it wasn't an issue! And good call on dark red for the steps.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Carbohydrates posted:

Ah, weird. Glad it wasn't an issue! And good call on dark red for the steps.
Yeah, had to do something other than pay apparently $13 per step for the reddish brown. The other major substitution was $2.50 for the yellow Technic toothed plate vs. $7 for the black one, and you can't even see that part after building, and then $1.40 for the brown hinge top instead of $5 for the reddish brown one. I was able to get 3 lots of parts for a total of about $75 shipped, which I think is perfectly fine for a custom 650 piece build.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Boco_T posted:

Yeah, had to do something other than pay apparently $13 per step for the reddish brown. The other major substitution was $2.50 for the yellow Technic toothed plate vs. $7 for the black one, and you can't even see that part after building, and then $1.40 for the brown hinge top instead of $5 for the reddish brown one. I was able to get 3 lots of parts for a total of about $75 shipped, which I think is perfectly fine for a custom 650 piece build.
Jeez, prices have gotten wacky for some of that. The reddish brown panels, when I got mine, were like... 75 cents each? maybe a buck or so? Pricey, but not absurd. And the Technic plates will always be extremely expensive in "new" condition since they haven't been made for a long time - I would always recommend getting those used. I have a bag of like 20 black ones so I used those. Couldn't even guess on the hinge top business.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bought and assembled the Speed Champions Countache, which has just cemented my plan to order the bricks necessary to build it in red :getin:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://brickset.com/sets/60395-1

I normally don't pay attention to City sets, but the review for this one on bricklink caught my eye cause they look like neat little builds, and then I notice they have a little mix-and-match modular aspect, man I would have loved this set as a kid. (I mean, I'll probably still love it, but I'll probably get a little less out of the play functions)

Oh gosh, there's a second set that's also designed to mix-and-match with this, I guess they're both tie ins with the 2K game too.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 24, 2023

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Took advantage of the current GWP offer for the flowerpot (and creative fun bag) and ordered:

Lambo Countach
Galaxy Explorer
Hokusai's Great Wave

Should keep me going for a while

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Beasteh posted:

Took advantage of the current GWP offer for the flowerpot (and creative fun bag) and ordered:

Lambo Countach
Galaxy Explorer
Hokusai's Great Wave

Should keep me going for a while

I got a bunch of botanicals, just felt good to get 2 bouquets and the succulents, and getting an extra flower pot :3: the other gwp looks pretty bad but hey, free bricks!

I have more purchases planned but waiting to know August's gwps/promos, if they put out the rumored Majisto gwp I need to get it immediately!

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bought and assembled the Speed Champions Countache, which has just cemented my plan to order the bricks necessary to build it in red :getin:

This, exactly this.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I want that flower pot but nothing else worth €150.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have about 600€ (retail) worth of big-box Legos unopened on my sofa. Who has time to actually build lmao.

They make a good armrest when I'm watching movies, also.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I've had PoBB sitting in a corner of my living room since sometime last year when they announced it was going to retired, and a giant pile of probably 10 different star wars sets I got off someone on FB. Imagine having time and space to actually build these things, not to mention somewhere a 2 year old can't reach.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After building the new eldorado I kinda want to go back through my pirates sets and see what I have left. I know I sold a bunch of them but now I kinda want to get some of them back, maybe. The pirates sets, as a theme, I really jive with. Probably because I like beaches and the ocean. I am pretty confident I kept every boat but sold the OG eldorado. I just wonder what else I still have vs sold.

And the prices are way way higher now than when I sold 5 or so years ago. Bleh.

I had pirates perilous pitfall, then I found another, better one, CIB so sold the original. It's now worth $600+. Easily the most of any pirates set. I think I may have gotten 200, if that. Jeez.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I have the imperial trading post and the pirate island with the rope bridge in the middle and the og monkey and shark that set ruled

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's probably rock island refuge. And yeah, it's a great set. The companion to eldorado, afaik. A lot of the sets have matching opposite faction sets to some degree.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gimme a red diablo pls lego.

I tried to order the tallneck via mightyape as they were the cheapest I saw online for aus. To verify my purchase they required a copy of a bank statement.

I sent them an email to cancel my purchase and never heard back.

I can't really justify a $130+aud lego purchase so guess I'm missing out.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

That's probably rock island refuge. And yeah, it's a great set. The companion to eldorado, afaik. A lot of the sets have matching opposite faction sets to some degree.

Sounds more like Forbidden Island - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6270-1#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

That baseplate is incredible

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
gently caress yeah, somehow I ended up with two Forbidden Island in my youth. Conflict in a box done right.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So I was sitting in a booth at IGARSS all last week…

And I got to thinking

What if Lego

Struggling to make that boom thin like it’s supposed to be though. The bend is kind of a crucial part of the look, and that technic piece is the perfect angle. Like if I could make it just out of bar or something. Also be cool if all the pieces I need actually came in chrome gold.

Reference stuff: https://nisar.jpl.nasa.gov/

e: That claw I have attaching the boom to the body of the satellite, there isn’t, like, a female version of that, is there? An end cap for a bar that has a bar at a right angle but in-line with the body of the thing? I can’t find anything like that.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 25, 2023

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
I think this is the part you're after. It's probably the best choice for that although it might not hold it's angle too well given the big circular part on top.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh my god, thank you, that is exactly what I was after. Absolutely couldn’t find it in Studio.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Much better, thank you. And thanks to that I was also reminded of hinge bars, which come in 2L and 3L or something like that, those of course would be super ideal but I don’t see a plate for those in a small enough (like 1x1) form factor. That’s okay though, this is pretty good!

Also, happy accident that I somehow totally missed that the panels could be aimed the way I had set it up!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 25, 2023

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Managed to snag that blacktron cruiser gwp for a tenner to go with the galaxy explorer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bad Munki posted:

Much better, thank you. And thanks to that I was also reminded of hinge bars, which come in 2L and 3L or something like that, those of course would be super ideal but I don’t see a plate for those in a small enough (like 1x1) form factor. That’s okay though, this is pretty good!

Also, happy accident that I somehow totally missed that the panels could be aimed the way I had set it up!

How come you're using a plate and not a dish for the sail (?)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No way to attach it without something reaching across to the middle, which is absolutely out of line with the satellite’s design. The reflector there is a super fine gold-plated wire mesh that expands open once it’s deployed, and that entire assembly is just held at the edge. If there’s a way, I’m all for it, but having something go across to the middle is just yucky. :/

https://youtu.be/7QdrHd-Rj1Q

Unless there’s a way to cheat clipping on to an 8 diameter dish at the edge, in which case heck yeah, I just couldn’t find one.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 25, 2023

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

WalMart by my house has Black Panther Wakanda Forever sets on clearance. Got the Throne Room for $14.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bad Munki posted:

No way to attach it without something reaching across to the middle, which is absolutely out of line with the satellite’s design. The reflector there is a super fine gold-plated wire mesh that expands open once it’s deployed, and that entire assembly is just held at the edge. If there’s a way, I’m all for it, but having something go across to the middle is just yucky. :/

https://youtu.be/7QdrHd-Rj1Q

Unless there’s a way to cheat clipping on to an 8 diameter dish at the edge, in which case heck yeah, I just couldn’t find one.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=18675&name=Dish%206%20x%206%20Inverted%20with%20Bar%20Handle&category=%5BDish%5D#T=C but only six

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, 8 really is the right size, 6 would make it weirdly proportioned.

I’ll keep noodling on it, I definitely agree it’s weird, but trying to make a 10-meter gossamer parabolic reflector with a whisper of a support structure is, uh, difficult at this scale.

And it’s all moot anyhow since these parts in gold is a no-go. I guess I could airbrush ‘em. 🥲

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Bad Munki posted:

I’ll keep noodling on it, I definitely agree it’s weird, but trying to make a 10-meter gossamer parabolic reflector with a whisper of a support structure is, uh, difficult at this scale.

And it’s all moot anyhow since these parts in gold is a no-go. I guess I could airbrush ‘em. 🥲

There's a half dozen types of gold on bricklink, but it's pretty hard to sort through them all. Maybe try clicking around on the NASA research stuff since those have metallic gold radar dishes?

I clicked around a bunch of sets and found there's a lot of fantastic looking metallic gold on the infinity gauntlet.
https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=76191-1

Namely, 4x4 and 2x2 macaroni pieces in metallic gold. You could lay them across the top half of the 2x2 turntable (part 3679) to make a pretty thin layer for the dish. I don't see a 3x3 though for that so not sure if it's possible to use the 4x4s; you could use the 2x2s for corners and then fill in the rest with 2x1s and 1x1 quarter pieces easily enough

Alternatively, you could build a brick thick and make the dish on its side with Metallic Gold Slope, Curved 2 x 1 x 2/3? Think tallneck saucer head. Those pictures you've put up seem to indicate it could be a bit thicker of a piece on top.

Or go less realistic and use a cool gold shield that would look goofy up close
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...ed%5D#T=C&C=115

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 25, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not gonna dig one out to try but maybe one of the lids for those x-pod containers would work. Ie, part 47675.

They have a little slit near the edge that maybe you could get a clip onto. Or maybe an oar.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
What is your go-to tool to separate flat pieces? Like, a lot of them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Human teeth. Not mine though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Depends on the pieces. For small stuff this works best:

But if you stuck 4x4 or larger plates on top of each other, you deserve all the pain you receive for such crimes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Human teeth.

Once inhaled a Lego piece club repre-

Dogen posted:

Not mine though.

nm

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I did use my own teeth when I was a kid but as an adult I have a little Japanese hobby knife that I use the point/blunt side of the point to slide in there and wiggle them apart.

I have never mastered using the brick separator to do this particular operation very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bad Munki posted:

I decided I was done working today