Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidiot
Apr 4, 2011

Thranguy posted:

Do we know the name of the not-Punisher, who I presume is wearing his dead wife's entire skeleton on his chest?

Tough Love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vidiot posted:

Tough Love

I love that the logo on his battle van is a big heart.

Who was the mummy dude parodying?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love that the logo on his battle van is a big heart.

Who was the mummy dude parodying?

I assumed it was Darkman

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That’s definitely it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darkman but also Freddy Krueger judging by the scarf and giggling

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vidiot posted:

Tough Love

One of my favourite Publick/Hammer things is how you can see the thought process that leads someone from the idea of The Punisher/Punishment to that name.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought it was interesting how much tech commentary, start up and modern workspace stuff was floating this episode. All the spooky dudes were basically hanging out in a co-working space, Doc built an Alexa, etc.

This isn't the first time the series has used extensive CG right? It was honestly kinda jarring, and I can't remember them using it before, but they must have in previous seasons, surely?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Monarch in the end is absolutly everything he ever wanted

- He can not be stopped from arching Venture anymore by the Guild
- He is married to the finest female super villain who just also happens to run the Guild
- He also is a level 10 in the Guild so he is A Big Deal
- His best friend is a living legend of a henchman who can go one on one with Brock Sampson himself
- He will always be better than Rusty because he was cloned that way
- He is the son (even if it's a clone) of Jonas Venture and that means something in this world

The movie was about all the characters coming back to a place where they are happy as a family and The Monarch's story most of all has ended with him as a true successful super villian that can do whatever he wants

I had hoped for all of the Ventures to end as successes (maybe Rusty did as well? All he wants is to do is super science in peace and he's back where he was happiest too), The Monarch absolutly did

Rusty actually did go to the moon as well before1969 as a boy adventurer, faking the moon landing is hilarious when they clearly can day trip there

I like the arching that The Monarch squeezes in by having his wife pants Rusty. It's perfect. It's exactly something that The Monarch would think of and Dr. Mrs The Monarch would absolutely go along with it. Followed by Gary's "Pwned!", that easily could have been delivered by OG Gary. It just felt like a really nice moment, a good way to remember a feeling that the entire series kept delivering year after year, decade after decade lmao it's been nearly 20 years

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought it was interesting how much tech commentary, start up and modern workspace stuff was floating this episode. All the spooky dudes were basically hanging out in a co-working space, Doc built an Alexa, etc.

This isn't the first time the series has used extensive CG right? It was honestly kinda jarring, and I can't remember them using it before, but they must have in previous seasons, surely?

I wanna say like when Pete and Billy had bikes that it probably had it. That and when Mrs the Monarch trying her best to land the floating car on Monstro's roof.

edit: also I immediately thought Freddy Kugger cuz he was had non copyright colors of Freddy :v:

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ever since I watched the movie last night and saw the flashback to the Calamity Club and the Majeure-era guild, I've been trying to Solve For The Joke on the bit characters that show up. I don't remember most of them being named in the rest of the show, though I may be wrong.

I've been focusing mostly on the combination Hamburglar/large reptile on the left. Hamburgator? A buddy who hadn't seen the show yet asked if it was just the stereotypical French outfit, which would make him Croc Monsieur, which is insanely good, but that's definitely a Hamburglar outfit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

In the fan questions commentary they said the first time was for the Hovertank and they loved it a lot because they could do more cinematic shots, like the Chicago warehouse's beaded curtain.

Also happy to be back in the thread after going on spoiler lockdown since April.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

Ever since I watched the movie last night and saw the flashback to the Calamity Club and the Majeure-era guild, I've been trying to Solve For The Joke on the bit characters that show up. I don't remember most of them being named in the rest of the show, though I may be wrong.

I've been focusing mostly on the combination Hamburglar/large reptile on the left. Hamburgator? A buddy who hadn't seen the show yet asked if it was just the stereotypical French outfit, which would make him Croc Monsieur, which is insanely good, but that's definitely a Hamburglar outfit.

Is it crime-o-dile? The one whose henchman was at the support group with Gary?

Croc Monsieur is way better but I have no idea if that's accurate.

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe
May 13, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Ooh, that feels like it could be right. We've definitely got Dragoon and Red Mantle, counterclockwise from them. Some kind of Nautilord further along to the right, by either Siegfried or Roy.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Knowing the writers and their love for referencing one off quotes etc, that is defintely Crime o Dile.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The flaming skull guy I think is supposed to be the father of the botany professor in one of the NY seasons, I forget his name

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

The flaming skull guy I think is supposed to be the father of the botany professor in one of the NY seasons, I forget his name

Vigo von Hellfire! Doctor von Helping was so choice.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, regarding the search for Hank: I love that he almost immediately starts using his credit card but no one in the family thinks to check that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Also, regarding the search for Hank: I love that he almost immediately starts using his credit card but no one in the family thinks to check that

When did they show him using his credit card? On the train he got out a big novelty check to pay.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The only really downer to the finale to me was that the original "natural" born Dean and Hank are long, long dead

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vakal posted:

The only really downer to the finale to me was that the original "natural" born Dean and Hank are long, long dead

I loved the "He won't end up in a ditch. I remember when blah blah blah .... oh, we did actually find him dead in a ditch that time"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the implication with the clones is that their souls basically transmigrate with each new body.

Not sure about the hunchback Dean though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Dr. Orpheus indicated that soul transmigration is happening, but on the other hand, both boys have lost the equivalent of years' worth of memories, some of them important.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
It was an enjoyable finale. Felt a little truncated with the cuts, but had the usual headlong pacing I've always liked about the show. It closed some narrative loops pretty well and was about as satisfying as one could hope. But at the same time, it felt like one of the hour-long specials more than a true story close, generating a bunch of new worldbuilding and story ideas that would make the basis of a new season. The show always leaves you wanting more and they can never quite close the book on it.

Short of a spinoff or belated season 8/9, I wouldn't mind a graphic novel or two covering their continued adventures.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

When did they show him using his credit card? On the train he got out a big novelty check to pay.

Checks, then. Usually those show up on any bank's online list of transactions

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Their instinct for needle drops is undefeated and twice as impressive with their beggar budget. It's crazy to think they moved from flash puppet walking to two amazing made for tv animated movies with space travel, giant robots, superpowers, etc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

QuarkJets posted:

Checks, then. Usually those show up on any bank's online list of transactions
and do you really think Rusty Venture has ever checked that?!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ikr, this is a man who finds out he is out of money when his card is declined

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In retrospect, they probably would have found Hank pretty quickly if they'd used any of the normal methods for tracking a missing teenager, but that would have required Rusty to put some effort into finding him. Dean was the one who called in OSI and then Doctor Orpheus, and they went straight to using weird methods for finding lost spies/souls.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If only they'd called Giant Boy Detective

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's what I'm saying! It's a good detail

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Something just occurred to me, and forgive me if someone else noted this.

Dermott shows up in this movie, and he's living on what is left of the Venture Compound. According to him, he's guarding it for the OSI, but he has no real gun? He had one in "The Inamorata Consequence." It looks like maybe he's no longer in OSI, but maybe he is and they're just messing with him? At any rate, here's what I just put together: he's a true Venture, and truly his father's son. Think about it: he's living in the decaying Venture compound, sustaining himself by selling off the old superscience and Venture mementos--basically, whatever old junk he could grab that wasn't destroyed by time or the fire. It's the final evolution of what Rusty was doing before JJ died. That's... I mean, that's just so Doc. Like father, like son. Imagine what kind of a life he'd have lived with just a little bit of that radiant baboon blood.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

tarlibone posted:

Something just occurred to me, and forgive me if someone else noted this.

Dermott shows up in this movie, and he's living on what is left of the Venture Compound. According to him, he's guarding it for the OSI, but he has no real gun? He had one in "The Inamorata Consequence." It looks like maybe he's no longer in OSI, but maybe he is and they're just messing with him? At any rate, here's what I just put together: he's a true Venture, and truly his father's son. Think about it: he's living in the decaying Venture compound, sustaining himself by selling off the old superscience and Venture mementos--basically, whatever old junk he could grab that wasn't destroyed by time or the fire. It's the final evolution of what Rusty was doing before JJ died. That's... I mean, that's just so Doc. Like father, like son. Imagine what kind of a life he'd have lived with just a little bit of that radiant baboon blood.

I thought similarly. Dermott looked less like a member of OSI and more like he dropped a dime at the OSI gift shop.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Here's my head-canon for Dermott: When he returned to the Venture compound as an OSI trainee, he got caught stealing from the site. They made him give back his gun but let him keep the uniform. He's been selling junk to Ben ever since

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Crime-o-dile is canonically dead as hell. so he can by Croc Monsieur.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a flashback

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mantis42 posted:

It's a flashback

duh. :negative:

i wonder what year it takes place. very important to put an accurate timeline together.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

uber_stoat posted:

duh. :negative:

i wonder what year it takes place. very important to put an accurate timeline together.

It's prior to movie night as the shapeshifter hasn't taken over as sovereign yet. He also might be one of the people in that old council. One of the guys is the turkey dude that interrupts the thanksgiving dinner in the video sent to Orpheus on why he should choose the guild for his professional nemesis.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phlogiston 4 Lyfe posted:

You should absolutely tweet the Croc Monsieur theory to Hammer or Publick.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The commentary is so incredibly bittersweet because half of it is Doc and Jackson talking about how Season 8 was supposed to have gone. Jonas vs Force Majeure! :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was a lot of fun and while I do hope we get more, this isn't the worst place for it to end.