Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
looking forward to the other characters in the OP of zom 100, and I guess each of them will have their own kind of zombie list. Guess that's the theme.

finished ep3 of Spellblade. Got more serious, still not sure where its gonna go. Though feel the payoff at the end of one cour is gonna be weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GateOfD posted:

looking forward to the other characters in the OP of zom 100, and I guess each of them will have their own kind of zombie list. Guess that's the theme.

We got a new one today, less try hard than the fit girl of the last one.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Just turning the manga directly into an anime

https://twitter.com/MangaAlerts/status/1682916330784313346?s=20

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

It does look pretty good

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ito's finally getting an anime that doesn't look cheap as hell?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
good move, the manga art was one of the strongest and creepiest points of the stories

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh boy do I not like this

https://youtu.be/SOM0sBPrPO4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why is The Thing there and why is he using a sword instead of clobberin' people with his stone fists?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cannot think of anything that needs a bunch of random bad sequels less than flcl

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

i cannot think of anything that needs a bunch of random bad sequels less than flcl
especially what looks like a direct sequel?? With really bad CG? lol

oh well it doesn’t harm/affect the original I can just ignore this. but wow that’s a bad first impression compared to Uzumaki

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The cg looks likes it's trying to meld Adult Swims's US style with FLCL's visual style and it just can't pull it off

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Honestly I think the CG looks fine most of the time, and even when it doesn't there's an actual artstyle which is more than I can say for a lot of CG stuff. Don't really have a lot of faith in the project otherwise, though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Do all of these FLCL sequels just reuse the songs from the original because I feel like it's pretty damning that I've never seen anyone bring up the soundtrack.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's some new tracks iirc

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Spiky Seeds is a good song

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Speaking purely as a person who isn't superhot on the original FLCL my position is that the first sequel was actually good anytime it was not a sequel to FLCL and the second sequel was less good but more even and didn't need to be a sequel to FLCL. FLCL2 was really good when it was about the main girl and her character and the developing relationship she has with the male lead and buried under garbage every time it got distracted trying to do zany FLCL stuff and/or sequel stuff which was far too often. FLCL 3 was a pretty good coming-of-age story about friendship in an uncertain era and had some resonant notes and I guess was kind of also connected to FLCL and that fact neither added nor subtracted anything from the story and probably could've been erased or revised or cut around and basically nothing would've been lost... Which suggests it really wasn't much of a sequel really and after FLCL2 I thought that was a good thing.

Which is a long end run to say that I have no problems with a sequel in theory, but that my expectations would crater if the sequel trailer made it look like a straight rehash of the original FLCL in unflattering CGI. Which it does, and so...

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

I feel like this is just tempting fate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like this is just tempting fate.

How many unnecessary Fate sequels are there?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean almost none of them are sequels to anything

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm mostly going off the phrase Tempting Fate and there's a lot of Fate shows it gets confusing.

Speaking of, if they're not sequels then is that new Fate episode that came out a few weeks ago worth checking out or is it actually a sequel that needs prior knowledge?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 23, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Fate at this point is just a franchise like Marvel or DC.

Like yeah, they share the universe so there is bunch of concepts in common, but at this point, two different Fate shows have about as much in common with each other as a Spider Man run with Captain America run.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Big Leg posted:

yeah i thought it was great still. i guess the op reusing a bunch of stuff from the first episode was a little weird

Judging by the third episode, that part of the OP serves as a recap of the previous episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm mostly going off the phrase Tempting Fate and there's a lot of Fate shows it gets confusing.

Speaking of, if they're not sequels then is that new Fate episode that came out a few weeks ago worth checking out or is it actually a sequel that needs prior knowledge?

Fate/Strange Fake is its own thing like the majority of Fate. Feel free to check it out.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Last four episodes of Nier are out by the way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cave emperor posted:

Last four episodes of Nier are out by the way.

For the first season anyway, a second has been confirmed but we don’t have a release date yet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
forget the unnecessary flcl garbage, watch the new one piece live action trailer which is NOT garbage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ades3pQbeh8&hd=1

it looks good. real good. some small quibbles, but honestly that it looks this good in live action when one piece is the most cartoony bullshit in the world, I'll forgive it. and early viewing reviews are saying it's a very very good streamlined adaptation of the first arc up through arlong park. I'm hype

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The parts that look good look really good (and most of it looks good), but the parts that fall into the uncanny valley really fall into the uncanny valley.

That and the actors will never be young enough to finish the story with how long the manga is, even with its incredible pace.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a single good trailer is more than i thought that project would ever produce.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

The parts that look good look really good (and most of it looks good), but the parts that fall into the uncanny valley really fall into the uncanny valley.

That and the actors will never be young enough to finish the story with how long the manga is, even with its incredible pace.

I don't think this project is under any delusion that they're going to adapt the entire manga. They'll maybe get a second season for Alabasta at most.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Which is sad because some of the best parts of the story are way after that. Not to mention the best part has yet to come (I believe the ending will be the best part).

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Netflix live action anime adaptations are gonna be the first kind of stuff to get cut and cancelled due to the strike

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Captain Invictus posted:

forget the unnecessary flcl garbage, watch the new one piece live action trailer which is NOT garbage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ades3pQbeh8&hd=1

it looks good. real good. some small quibbles, but honestly that it looks this good in live action when one piece is the most cartoony bullshit in the world, I'll forgive it. and early viewing reviews are saying it's a very very good streamlined adaptation of the first arc up through arlong park. I'm hype

Weren't people saying the same thing about Live-Action Cowboy Bebop before it actually aired.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't think so, no. There was wariness for that one until the very end.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

There were people who saw all the obvious rough edges in the trailer and then there were people who were certain it'd all work out in the end, with some of them continuing to insist it was fine even after it released and it became obvious it was terrible. At least it was a funny trainwreck in the end.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The pre-defense of Cowboy Bebop was largely based on people thinking it was trying to be intentionally corny and low-rent based on some aesthetic choices, and then the show's writing sunk the whole thing so even if that choice had worked it wouldn't have mattered.

The One Piece trailer at least feels much more genuinely One Piece.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only thing I remember about pre-release Netflix Bebop discussion is people arguing if Spike is Asian or not.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

mycot posted:

The only thing I remember about pre-release Netflix Bebop discussion is people arguing if Spike is Asian or not.

They really hosed up by not using Hollywood de-aging technology on Elliott Gould

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
100 isekais to finish before I turn into a zombie