Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t close kids buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm struggling itt apparently

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Arrath posted:

I'm weird, i was raised to close the toilet lid as it was the compromise between my parents, where the debate was seat up or down: close the lid so no one is happy.

Anyway, gf won't ever close the lid. Today she dropped her hair brush into the toilet so I feel vindicated. But I expect she'll continue to leave it up, thus my peeve.

I was giving my some life advice just the other day, and at the top of my list was "Make sure the toilet lid is closed if you are handling any object in the bathroom."

I have no sympathy for anyone who drops their toothbrush, phone, nail clippers, etc. in the hopper.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
i give zero thought and whizz like a real whizzard

if you care, stop storing your items in the piss room

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

People who smoke in public by bus stops, by entrances to buildings, and etc can get hosed.
Love to be engulfed in smoke by a Captain Planet villain wannabe.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

EAH folks on these forums sure spend a lot of money on your redtext

this one is the only one that annoys me bc it's so long

if someone wants to rebuy me the stock image of the aeroflot flight attendant great, i miss her, this one makes a one sentence post take up so much more screen space

it's also really annoying how many people have to comment every time i post bc man, i am not the one trying to attention whore, the only title i've bought for myself was edgar allan poe himself in six years ago

my peeve is red texts that are more annoying to the viewer than the recipient

actual peeve i came here for: the neighbours across the bedroom wall continue to blast room-shaking bass in whatever lovely edm or whatever crap they listen to, even though we've politely asked them several times to please not because we have babies and have jobs where we get up really, really early. and this is an apartment where basically everyone on this floor except that guy is a community who hangs out, shares food, has watch parties and movie nights, etc. it's great. i really don't want to call the courtesy cop to serve them a noise violation but i'm approaching no choice.

the next time the bass drops long after sunset and sets off the babies and the puppy, i swear god i go to the cops or i go over with a bat. and we're not the only people they bother, everyone on the floor except them is bothered by their poo poo music blaring at 11pm

i'm not even sure if it's the dude or the chick or both that live there, but they are both assholes

e: and also we provide each other childcare and random maintenance and rides and basically it's community solidarity and then the loud dubstep rear end in a top hat/s

guess who is gonna die in the next hurricane

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Jul 21, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

docbeard posted:

I have two days to change my work password so I will change it WHEN I AM GOOD AND READY, WORK COMPUTER

Ever since I changed it early once and the drat system immediately decided to force me to change it again when the deadline hit (with random unexplained rules behind which passwords are acceptable, of course), I will never again be stupid enough to do it until I am forced to.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My work even requires us to change the pin on our phones every 90 days. I hate it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The best way to ensure password security is to annoy as many people as possible into writing their password on a sticky note by their computer.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
A senior manager at my work says 'etcetera etcetera' surprisingly often, but he pronounces it 'ekkcettrahh ekkcettrahh'.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The Perfect Element posted:

A senior manager at my work says 'etcetera etcetera' surprisingly often, but he pronounces it 'ekkcettrahh ekkcettrahh'.

Have you tried aksing them to stop?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

actual peeve i came here for: the neighbours across the bedroom wall continue to blast room-shaking bass in whatever lovely edm or whatever crap they listen to, even though we've politely asked them several times to please not because we have babies and have jobs where we get up really, really early. and this is an apartment where basically everyone on this floor except that guy is a community who hangs out, shares food, has watch parties and movie nights, etc. it's great. i really don't want to call the courtesy cop to serve them a noise violation but i'm approaching no choice.
It's not as bad as bass, but I can relate because the dude that lives directly above me apparently lubes his fingers. It's gotten to the point where I'm trying to guess the value of the poo poo he drops like I'm the sonar operator in Down Periscope.

That was a golf ball. That was $0.37. That was a mechanical pencil and a regular pencil at the same time.

I'm not sure which of the three dudes living in the three room apartment above me lives specifically in the room directly above mine because I haven't caught any of them wearing steel-soled boots yet.

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jul 21, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ge-Jn_2HQ

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

room-shaking bass
I think I have a very specific kind of misophonia. I can listen to people crunch on chips, snap their gum, smack their lips, fry their vocals, whatever, just fine, no problem. But sometimes overhearing low bass beats, especially when I'm trying to sleep, triggers a bizarre neurological response in me -- I get so angry that I cry, and I get a strange weakness in my legs that makes it hard to walk. It's like some kind of primal Freeze instinct shuts down my body, preventing me from...idk, fighting my neighbors? Like my brain is both initiating the irrational rage response and also saying, "Haha, but I'm not going to let you do anything about it! You're just going to sit here and cry like a baby!"

Feels bad, man.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just noticed that the thread tags in Ask/Tell aren't aligned and now I'll never be able to un-see it:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You've poisoned the rest of us you rear end in a top hat

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My pet peeve it when goons release class 5 cognito-hazards in the Pet Peeve thread.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just noticed that the thread tags in Ask/Tell aren't aligned and now I'll never be able to un-see it:

Why would you curse the rest of us with this knowledge, you jerk? :mad:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I like that SA is janky and unaligned bc I'm built different

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Are they quoting The King and I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JHH6iwgIek

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Why do so many people misspell it 'ect'

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why do so many people misspell it 'ect'

Could be related to people who pronounce it "ecsetra"?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
et ceterum censeo poor spellers esse delendam

e for a real peeve: i have to wear a hard hat at work. why do we call it a hard hat instead of a helmet? hard hat just sounds so much dorkier.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Jul 22, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For some reason, right click > open in new tab is blocked by my local library's website and the local science museum's website. Also, the thumbnails for image searches are broken on the latter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
burgers that are so giant and buttery that they cease being handheld food. i shouldn't have messy hands and a salad of fallen toppings after trying to eat the burg.

same goes for pizza crust that leaves your hands messy, but i'm a sicko who eats pizza with the fork and knife so that grinds my gears less

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

God, I think I would actually pay money for a browser extension that could deal with the eternal loving nagging of sites and cookie handling.
Just have it auto-decline all tracking and cookie poo poo unless a site is whitelisted etc. And auto-handle any prompts they spit out.

Out of habit I'll generally spin up incognito whenever I check out a couple things/Check a youtube video I dunno if I want in my history, but cookie nagging feels designed to punish you for not allowing them.
Really wish GDPR had had a clause where sites weren't allowed to just ask for poo poo unless you needed them for a feature or etc.
Just straight up not allowed to even ask for cookies unless someone tried to log in, or something similar.

There's also one really loving obnoxious publisher here in Norway that does cross site tracking and loving nags at you to log in if you go to a site they own.
A popup going "HEY ARE YOU SUBNAT? YOU SHOULD LOG IN HERE YOU PIECE OF poo poo, YOU CAN USE OUR SHARED ACCOUNT." every couple of days on some sites.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
it breaks my brain that Zone Blanche is called Black Spot on USA netflix

I love that dumb show but why is the english version name an opposing pokémon version name

It's called White Zone

Somebody pay me to translate this poo poo

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

SubNat posted:

God, I think I would actually pay money for a browser extension that could deal with the eternal loving nagging of sites and cookie handling.
Just have it auto-decline all tracking and cookie poo poo unless a site is whitelisted etc. And auto-handle any prompts they spit out.

Out of habit I'll generally spin up incognito whenever I check out a couple things/Check a youtube video I dunno if I want in my history, but cookie nagging feels designed to punish you for not allowing them.
Really wish GDPR had had a clause where sites weren't allowed to just ask for poo poo unless you needed them for a feature or etc.
Just straight up not allowed to even ask for cookies unless someone tried to log in, or something similar.

There's also one really loving obnoxious publisher here in Norway that does cross site tracking and loving nags at you to log in if you go to a site they own.
A popup going "HEY ARE YOU SUBNAT? YOU SHOULD LOG IN HERE YOU PIECE OF poo poo, YOU CAN USE OUR SHARED ACCOUNT." every couple of days on some sites.

Good news, there are extensions to do just that https://github.com/cavi-au/Consent-O-Matic

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it breaks my brain that Zone Blanche is called Black Spot on USA netflix

I love that dumb show but why is the english version name an opposing pokémon version name

It's called White Zone

Somebody pay me to translate this poo poo

Are you sure? Blanche and Black both start with the same letters, so I'm thinking that they're right.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm getting the hang of it but WordPress is one finicky loving site

Alright system once you grow accustomed to it but Christ there's so many Little Things that make me want to scream.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I generally tolerate tourists just fine but I lose my mind when a school group stops and takes up the entire drat sidewalk to listen to their guide. Hug the wall, guys, people live here and need to get places.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
extreme dork peeve: why are guard and ork players so goddam salty all the time?

they've constantly gotta be like "did anyone ever notice that mere mortals are more interesting than space marines/orks are the only funny faction who give no fucks"

yes everyone noticed. literally everyone noticed. i promise.

meanwhile, they're insisting they play for fun while crying their eyes out because their 5000 bucks worth of dudes got blown off the table by me and my niece's space marines, who are purple because that's my favourite colour, they come in the starter, and lmao bolter go brrrrr

much as with video games, why is it so inevitable that the people who are "just here for fun" become the worst as soon as they lose? the sweaty netlisting tryhards are way more fun to be around. my lgs is mostly great but 4/4 as soon as someone starts slapping down orks or guard i know they're gonna be upset at losing, and because "ugh i'm here for fun but people keep trying to win"

you got owned by a six year old having vastly more fun than you out of starter marines, and you are ostensibly playing the fun faction instead of the grimdark faction, so chill you whiny nerd

anywho i'll have the double baconator meal and a large frosty

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Slap all ork players who give a poo poo if they lose, and throw their minis in the fire. I'll not have that in my faction.

Congrats to your niece though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Riatsala posted:

Slap all ork players who give a poo poo if they lose, and throw their minis in the fire. I'll not have that in my faction.

If they're real Orks they'll just grab whatever toys they have and use those in place of the old minis because just like an Ork in 40k, it works if they believe it works. "That's not a ken doll, that's a tank. This megaman funkopop is a general, because I fuckin said it is!" THAT'S a real Ork player. Play like an Ork.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"But we're playing chess..."

"YES AND I PAINTED THE KNIGHT RED SO NOW IT GOES FASTER"

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The key to victory is believing you won, regardless of what happened.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Schools, and other organisations distributing documents in docx format instead of pdf. Every computer has been able to print to pdf for years now, so it'll display correctly on any device, but people seem to be loving allergic to it or something because they just won't take the two seconds to convert their documents; so they look like absolute garbage. And that's if they even bother to make them not look like garbage to begin with. Sometimes you see misaligned elements and weird page breaks and think "this document isn't displaying correctly" but it turns out the person who made it just left it like that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

well see i won't be doing that even though it would be very Gork or Morkish

and i'm being hypocritical by whining into the void of our dead gay forums

but like jeez, in tabletop as in video, why is it inevitable that the people who insist they are only here for fun are refilling the pacific ocean's salt reserves, while the tryhards who roll up to own you will, win or lose, give you the gg and the warrior's nod?

to quote the great Ilya Nikolayevich Bryzgalov, "it's only game. why you have to be mad?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

but like jeez, in tabletop as in video, why is it inevitable that the people who insist they are only here for fun are refilling the pacific ocean's salt reserves, while the tryhards who roll up to own you will, win or lose, give you the gg and the warrior's nod?
Because you are playing with the same goals and expectations as the people who are "playing to win", so they don't mind losing to you because seeing who wins was the whole point. You've given them what they wanted. The people who are "playing for fun" aren't playing with the same goals or expectations as you, and therefore do not find it fun to play against you.

In fact, both types of players are trying (and hoping) to win. The difference is that the "play to win" crowd are trying to master the game. They want to play against others who are attempting the same, in order to see who is better at it. The "play for fun" crowd are knowingly making sub-optimal choices because they find them more fun or fulfilling and would prefer to play against others who share their desire to win in interesting, rather than efficient, ways.

In theory there are tournaments for the PTW group and casual games for the PFF types. The problem is that there are often fewer opportunities to play than PFF people would like and so they feel compelled to enter tournaments where they encounter mostly PTW types, and the PTW types often want to practice for tournaments in a casual setting and encounter the PFF types. In both cases, the PTW crowd will likely feel that the PFF players are wasting their time and the PFF crowd will feel that the PTW are spoiling their fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
yet more complaining:

there's this dude at my work that constantly complains about the tiny union due on our paychecks, every paycheck day

motherfucker do you even understand how many people in the USA would kill to have a functional union? i'm all about this healthcare and pension, god bless our union and go to hell would-be scabs like yourself

e: like having an afl-cio air division badge is among the proudest things in my entire life, and you're sitting there whining that 3 dollars go to us and our comrades? get out

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jul 26, 2023