Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

nice lunch posted:

you put how to pronounce your name into the thing and she says it. the character says it. she said myco and the character in the opening dialog said myco-kun a couple of times. wow!!!

that's fairly sick actually. thanks for explainin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

nice lunch posted:

you put how to pronounce your name into the thing and she says it. the character says it. she said myco and the character in the opening dialog said myco-kun a couple of times. wow!!!

teh friggin Speak & Spell. gadzooks

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

tokimemo 1 was sick

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

nice lunch posted:

i remember hearing this sort of thing is a lot easier to do in japanese than english for some reason?

looking it up, this "emotional voice system" was a pretty crazy bit of pre-vocaloid synthesis tech, especially for the era, though they only included data for two of the characters - if you wanted other characters to say your name you had to buy magazines with special cover discs that had the extra data so you could save their saying your name to a memory card (taking up most of the space).

pretty ridiculously ambitious for a ps1 game!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think because the letters all have a consistent sound all you have to set is the stress point in the name with that waveform, which is way easier to deal with than english where you can say the letter a like 4 different ways depending on context

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

its a syllabic language so u tell the computer how to say all the syllables and your done. i could do that in my sleep.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

b_d posted:

its a syllabic language so u tell the computer how to say all the syllables and your done. i could do that in my sleep.

So do it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
At least wait for him to fall asleep

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

that would be sooooo booooring. i'd probably enter a coma if i was asleep to begin with. so i have to amend my earlier statement: i couldn't do it in my sleep because i would get bored and lose consciousness forever or die.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

b_d posted:

that would be sooooo booooring. i'd probably enter a coma if i was asleep to begin with. so i have to amend my earlier statement: i couldn't do it in my sleep because i would get bored and lose consciousness forever or die.

waking up from a coma is easy

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

trying to jack off posted:

i think because the letters all have a consistent sound all you have to set is the stress point in the name with that waveform, which is way easier to deal with than english where you can say the letter a like 4 different ways depending on context

it's called pitch accent and it varies depending on the word. It's one of the only ways to distinguish same-sounding words bc their language has few letters. That happens very rarely and it's a context based language anyway, so it's only important for things like unique names. Domo arigato

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

elf help book posted:

When I was a kid I read a Batman comic where he hit his head and went into a coma and it turns out when you go into a coma you go to hell and can only come back if you wrestle the devil. He made it seem pretty easy though

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this. stop bein a bitch and code it already

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

When I was a kid I read a Batman comic where he hit his head and went into a coma and it turns out when you go into a coma you go to hell and can only come back if you wrestle the devil. He made it seem pretty easy though

Yeah people wake up from comas all the time. The devil must be a real pussy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

rodbeard posted:

Yeah people wake up from comas all the time. The devil must be a real pussy.

I can't remember if everyone has to fight the devil or if it was just Batman specifically but i feel like it implied the former. The only other thing I really remember about it is Batman randomly meeting a wee IRA guy who tells a story about how he once ordered everyone off a bus and shot anyone who wasn't Catholic and Batman essrntially just looked at the reader and announced that the Irish are the scum of the earth and walked off

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can't remember if everyone has to fight the devil or if it was just Batman specifically but i feel like it implied the former. The only other thing I really remember about it is Batman randomly meeting a wee IRA guy who tells a story about how he once ordered everyone off a bus and shot anyone who wasn't Catholic and Batman essrntially just looked at the reader and announced that the Irish are the scum of the earth and walked off

this is projection, larry

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

remembering when I was living in Scotland and the one Irish kid I knew got chased by some neds with a golf club while walking around Glasgow, I think he only got minor injuries

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh, that's unfortunate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

symbolic posted:

this is projection, larry

No, this is lunchmeat larry.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

that's cool

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

it's true

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You guys jerk each other off IRL.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Good for them.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Pretty nice they have that going for them. I can’t count on an imp for anything. loving useless group. Sacks of poo poo. But hell, I love em anyway. Even if they loving piss me off.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

----------------

matti
Mar 31, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05SbgPklysM

matti fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 12, 2023

Cockashocka
Sep 13, 2013

Bubble brother

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

----------------

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

lol

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation