Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speaking of things that have aged poorly, the episodes of the Simpsons set in the future where Lisa Simpson is a stand in for Hillary Clinton. A lot of people thought it was a given Hillary was going to be president one day (including Hillary Clinton herself).

Also, I hate how Lisa always has to be right now. She used to be a character that could occasionally be wrong, but now she is basically a mouthpiece for the opinions of the writers, and if you are against what she is saying you must be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Speaking of things that have aged poorly, the episodes of the Simpsons set in the future where Lisa Simpson is a stand in for Hillary Clinton. A lot of people thought it was a given Hillary was going to be president one day (including Hillary Clinton herself).

Also, I hate how Lisa always has to be right now. She used to be a character that could occasionally be wrong, but now she is basically a mouthpiece for the opinions of the writers, and if you are against what she is saying you must be stupid.

I also miss stuff like Bart and Lisa teaming up to pull little pranks on Homer or get something they both want. They used to let her be a bit of a brat when she wanted something, and now that characterization is completely gone.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The writers were never great at writing women, all the way up to possibly the funniest writer, who sometimes just wouldn't

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The writers were never great at writing women, all the way up to possibly the funniest writer, who sometimes just wouldn't

Damnit Conan, he needs to be less brutally sexist/racist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sweet geek swag posted:

I also miss stuff like Bart and Lisa teaming up to pull little pranks on Homer or get something they both want. They used to let her be a bit of a brat when she wanted something, and now that characterization is completely gone.

The characters are basically unrecognisable by season ten. They all had small character traits gradually emphasised and expanded until those traits became their entire personality.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

TGG posted:

His most famous episode was a Marge centered one!

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Tiggum posted:

The characters are basically unrecognisable by season ten. They all had small character traits gradually emphasised and expanded until those traits became their entire personality.

You mean.....flanderised?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Ironically Flanders is one of the tamest examples of Flanderization on the show.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MokBa posted:

Ironically Flanders is one of the tamest examples of Flanderization on the show.

He was the earliest though. He went from being the Perfect Neighbour who not only had better things but was a better person, to being a hyper-religious doormat whackjob, even during the course of the golden era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

Having gone through the 90s under men who were all about the male positivity movement and getting in touch with one's feelings, I don't blame the writers of that era for having bad reads and making hack episodes like that Angel episode where a shaman makes all the cops into wussy dudes who can't enforce the law. gently caress that show was weird and that movement sucked.

Daria had some fun riffs on how uncomfortable, patronising, smothering and overall cringe that poo poo was to be exposed to as a kid and especially teenager.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Though if it's the episode I'm thinking of that's eerie in its own way as it specifically has her tasked with pulling the USA out of a tailspin after President Trump. (though to be fair seeing where American politics were going Trump was probably inevitable, and he's still just diet Reagan) And she ends up having to borrow stalling tactics from Bart just to buy time because her principles aren't anywhere near enough to cut it in realpolitik.

Tenebrais posted:

He was the earliest though. He went from being the Perfect Neighbour who not only had better things but was a better person, to being a hyper-religious doormat whackjob, even during the course of the golden era.

I have some theories about how that happened mostly because Flanders became the representative of how American Christianity's whole representation changed during the 90s, when the idea of a pious churchgoer being a goofy nice person was replaced by an intolerant fundamentalist nutjob. And they couldn't do it with Lovejoy because his whole joke is being burnt out and uncaring.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TGG posted:

I'm sure you don't ACTUALLY think Conan was who LIVE AMMO COSPLAY was referring to, but in case you were...they're referring to John Swartzwelder.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I was bullshitting, I tried to think of the least racist/sexist one who I've actually met.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

BioEnchanted posted:

Helen Lovejoy is the worst for that, SUCH a hypocrite.

Won't SOMEBODY think of the CHILDREN!?!?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MokBa posted:

Plus he doesn't even really fit the common definition of Flanderization because arguably they didn't just zero in on one aspect of his character, they actually changed it. He really went from being one type of Christian to a different type. It felt like they betrayed the essence of the character for the sake of reflecting what was going on with evangelicals at that cultural moment.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Plus he doesn't even really fit the common definition of Flanderization because arguably they didn't just zero in on one aspect of his character, they actually changed it. He really went from being one type of Christian to a different type. It felt like they betrayed the essence of the character for the sake of reflecting what was going on with evangelicals at that cultural moment.

Flanders at his core just wants everyone to be happy and safe, even his is fundie stage he's in now. He just doesn't realize that people don't need Jesus or the church to be happy or safe.

I think the writers really missed the boat when Maude died to permanently make Homer nice to Flanders but status quo ect.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Daria had some fun riffs on how uncomfortable, patronising, smothering and overall cringe that poo poo was to be exposed to as a kid and especially teenager.
Best one was easily the episode where the English teacher forces his students to fail intentionally and then when he's upset about failing to do the lesson properly Daria uses the exact same rhetoric on him, and he gets why he was being a dumbass.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though if it's the episode I'm thinking of that's eerie in its own way as it specifically has her tasked with pulling the USA out of a tailspin after President Trump. (though to be fair seeing where American politics were going Trump was probably inevitable, and he's still just diet Reagan) And she ends up having to borrow stalling tactics from Bart just to buy time because her principles aren't anywhere near enough to cut it in realpolitik.

I have some theories about how that happened mostly because Flanders became the representative of how American Christianity's whole representation changed during the 90s, when the idea of a pious churchgoer being a goofy nice person was replaced by an intolerant fundamentalist nutjob. And they couldn't do it with Lovejoy because his whole joke is being burnt out and uncaring.

the best scene with lovejoy and flanders is where flanders is confessing he might be coveting his own wife.

Lovejoy's reply is, "Have you ever looked at any other religions, Ned? They're all pretty much the same."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

the best scene with lovejoy and flanders is where flanders is confessing he might be coveting his own wife.

Lovejoy's reply is, "Have you ever looked at any other religions, Ned? They're all pretty much the same."

You're confusing two scenes, one is how Lovejoy became the local pastor. One of the actual best jokes from the modern Simpsons era is to call it a Presbolutheranism. Anyways, he gets so ground down by Flanders calling about any minor infraction and not inspiring his flock he just lost the will to care.

The response to lovejoy saying all religions are the same is when he calls in hysterics and gibberish because the Simpsons kids aren't baptized.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

You're confusing two scenes, one is how Lovejoy became the local pastor. One of the actual best jokes from the modern Simpsons era is to call it a Presbolutheranism. Anyways, he gets so ground down by Flanders calling about any minor infraction and not inspiring his flock he just lost the will to care.

The response to lovejoy saying all religions are the same is when he calls in hysterics and gibberish because the Simpsons kids aren't baptized.

ah it has been a while, thanks.

i do like how Lovejoy reacts to the end of the world: IT'S ALL OVER PEOPLE, WE HAVEN'T GOT A PRAYER.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though if it's the episode I'm thinking of that's eerie in its own way as it specifically has her tasked with pulling the USA out of a tailspin after President Trump. (though to be fair seeing where American politics were going Trump was probably inevitable, and he's still just diet Reagan)

I havent seen it recently so I don't quite remember if it holds up, but the episode of The Critic where Duke runs for president takes some great shots at populist politics and Reaganism. I last watched it in 2015 and a lot of it felt awfully familiar

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pretty soft girl posted:

I havent seen it recently so I don't quite remember if it holds up, but the episode of The Critic where Duke runs for president takes some great shots at populist politics and Reaganism. I last watched it in 2015 and a lot of it felt awfully familiar

Relevant clip.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Don't sleep on them making "geez, Charles is getting tired of waiting to be King" jokes in 1995.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I maintain they could have avoided any debacle of self-centered crapitation by just calling Skinner Tanzarian from that point. It's cake and eating.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mescal posted:

I maintain they could have avoided any debacle of self-centered crapitation by just calling Skinner Tanzarian from that point. It's cake and eating.

Feels like that'd be undermining the point though. Plus then you'd have to explain why he's Skinner in earlier seasons and Tanzarian now when the whole point is that Springfield continuity is static.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

the_steve posted:

Feels like that'd be undermining the point though. Plus then you'd have to explain why he's Skinner in earlier seasons and Tanzarian now when the whole point is that Springfield continuity is static.

So now I'm trying to think of what major events happened in the show that actually changed things and weren't static moments.

Ned's wife dying, obviously. Then there's all of Apu's children. What else? Did Barney stay sober?

They should have said gently caress it and stuck with Sideshow Bob's mutations/superpowers and Willie losing his eye but eh. Sometimes the status quo is just too strong for even big changes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Didn't they lampshade the fact that it's not clear that Homer works at the power plant anymore?

Do they ever all go to church on Sundays?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

Ned's wife dying, obviously. Then there's all of Apu's children. What else? Did Barney stay sober?

A background gag revealed he fell off the wagon a bit later. Actually it was a pretty good example of how to keep the status quo while still acknowledging developments in other episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vandar posted:

So now I'm trying to think of what major events happened in the show that actually changed things and weren't static moments.

They should have said gently caress it and stuck with Sideshow Bob's mutations/superpowers and Willie losing his eye but eh. Sometimes the status quo is just too strong for even big changes.

Lisa has remained a vegetarian. I think Mrs. Krabappel died at some point, but that was because the actor died.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think Mrs. Krabappel died at some point, but that was because the actor died.

Eventually this will be true for every character

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tree Bucket posted:

Yeah, but by then, the studios will have won the AI wars.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ari Folman's The Congress was a warning.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I’ve not watched The Simpsons in many years - did they get rid of Apu as was insinuated after that one guy complained he was a racial stereotype?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Zaroff posted:

I’ve not watched The Simpsons in many years - did they get rid of Apu as was insinuated after that one guy complained he was a racial stereotype?

I think he's an unvoiced background character now, since the VA stepped away from the role and hasn't been replaced.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zaroff posted:

Looks like it, yeah

quote:

In early 2020, Azaria announced that he was stepping away from the Apu character, primarily because of the stereotypes and bias it perpetuated.[46]

In March 2021, Matt Groening is planning to bring back Apu with new stories, and says that he is working on something ambitious for the character. Since Azaria stepped away from voicing Apu, Groening is still looking for a voice actor.

In April 2021, Hank Azaria apologized to every Indian for voicing Apu.
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon#Simpsons%27_response_to_Apu%27s_controversy

quote:

The final time that Azaria voiced Apu was in the season 29 premiere "The Serfsons" in 2017; since then, Apu has appeared as a background character.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Didn't they lampshade the fact that it's not clear that Homer works at the power plant anymore?

Several times, my favorite being in the "Maude dies" episode:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tree Bucket posted:

Didn't stop Mr. Burns, Lunchlady Doris, Manjula, Martin, or Sherri and Terri.

Apparently they brought back Bleeding Gums Murphy too?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Baron von Eevl posted:

He was brought back as a hologram.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Didn't stop Mr. Burns, Lunchlady Doris, Manjula, Martin, or Sherri and Terri.

Blows my mind that Starscream was the original Mr. Burns. Cartoon history probably would have been really different if he hadn’t overdosed.

EDIT: also apparently Chris Latta was fired from voicing Mr. Burns before he died, probably because the drugs made him hard to work with.

I AM GRANDO has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Jul 24, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I AM GRANDO posted:

Blows my mind that Starscream was the original Mr. Burns. Cartoon history probably would have been really different if he hadn’t overdosed.

EDIT: also apparently Chris Latta was fired from voicing Mr. Burns before he died, probably because the drugs made him hard to work with.

He was also fired from being Moe, but they just fuckin threw his takes away. Supposedly they thought he did a fine job they just all hated working with him so they hired Hank Azaria instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i remember there was some panel with the Transformers voice actors, and someone asked Peter Cullen about working with Chris Latta. In true Prime fashion, Cullen said something like the industry could be horrible to people, and that was all he'd say. No smack talk, no insults to Latta, etc.