Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/thr/status/1681997940901007360?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Finally, a possible answer to the question “Can a TV show or movie make negative money?”.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

galagazombie posted:

I’m halfway convinced all the right wing “outrage” over Barbie is astroturfing by the studio simply bribing them to hype it as some grand political manifesto instead of the soulless corporate glop of “Lego Movie: Pink Edition” it so obviously is. Because I’m only seeing it from hoity toity YouTube ecelebs. Compare to the organic free range bigotry of say.. the black The Little Mermaid where you saw the hoi poloi of vileness on image boards and forums coming out of the woodwork.

Barbie looks real fun and not soulless at all?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

galagazombie posted:

I’m halfway convinced all the right wing “outrage” over Barbie is astroturfing by the studio simply bribing them to hype it as some grand political manifesto instead of the soulless corporate glop of “Lego Movie: Pink Edition” it so obviously is. Because I’m only seeing it from hoity toity YouTube ecelebs. Compare to the organic free range bigotry of say.. the black The Little Mermaid where you saw the hoi poloi of vileness on image boards and forums coming out of the woodwork.

Barbie is by all accounts a fun movie that a lot of people are enjoying but it is really annoying how obviously astroturfed all the hype around it is, especially the whole "Barbieheimer" thing. And yet for all the breathless "what does it mean that Barbie is now a feminist icon???" thinkpieces I've seen there's been very little commentary on the obviously artificial nature of the phenomenon and what it means for toy tie-ins going forward.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

galagazombie posted:

The right wing stuff is genuine, but it's also a case of the influencers in that sphere churning out content that's very similar to stuff they've done before (and very recently) for sake of getting content out and they've reached the point where the performativeness of their outrage is beginning to show a bit more. And at the moment their audience seems more worked up about Jim Caviezel's Qanon-curious Taken-alike than Ben Shapiro burning dollies for children.

Also, Elon is loving over one of the Right's digital battlegrounds of choice.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 23, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
You know I reckon Failed Screenwriter Ben Shapiro is secretly seething about The Sound of Freedom because it's making money and has a fanbase unlike all the movies he's tried to distribute

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 23, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s actually impressive how they shopped that turd of a movie around for years and landed on the Right Wing grift angle and made it a hit

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The face you make when you’re arrested for terrorism after calling in a bomb threat on a train because a woman turned your drunk rear end down.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought TJ Miller’s career was dead

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

It is, this is further evidence

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Professor Shark posted:

What about that tweet says otherwise?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Professor Shark posted:

It's at death's door.

Fortunately, here comes web3 to help him pull through!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Kinda rhymes with Quibi

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Kinda rhymes with Quibi

quibi + aviato = quijibo

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

galagazombie posted:

nah people like that try to stir up outrage over every movie that comes out in hope that lightning strikes and a culture war breaks out over it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Len posted:

Barbie looks real fun and not soulless at all?

Barbie is soulful corporate glop. It’s basically doing Pixar in live-action so, if you’ve seen Inside Out or Wreck It Ralph 2, you know pretty much exactly what to expect.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Neither of the Wreck It Ralphs were Pixar.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Srice posted:

nah people like that try to stir up outrage over every movie that comes out in hope that lightning strikes and a culture war breaks out over it

It’s not so much the right wing coverage of Barbie that is baffling—as you note, this is just their usual grift—but the liberal hype. Like I thought that even the most MSNBC-brained girl boss libs would exhibit a little more critical thinking than that.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neither of the Wreck It Ralphs were Pixar.

Disney-Pixar, whichever. Inside Out and Soul, if you prefer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m just making sure you stay accurate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I’m just making sure you stay accurate.

I’m referring to Pixar as, like, a genre. Like how an Xbox is a Nintendo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

High Warlord Zog posted:

The right wing stuff is genuine, but it's also a case of the influencers in that sphere churning out content that's very similar to stuff they've done before (and very recently) for sake of getting content out and they've reached the point where the performativeness of their outrage is beginning to show a bit more. And at the moment their audience seems more worked up about Jim Caviezel's Qanon-curious Taken-alike than Ben Shapiro burning dollies for children.

Also, Elon is loving over one of the Right's digital battlegrounds of choice.

The right-wing and liberal griftospheres have been symbiotic astroturf for like a decade at this point.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m referring to Pixar as, like, a genre. Like how an Xbox is a Nintendo.

I’m honestly disappointed in you.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

MeinPanzer posted:

It’s not so much the right wing coverage of Barbie that is baffling—as you note, this is just their usual grift—but the liberal hype. Like I thought that even the most MSNBC-brained girl boss libs would exhibit a little more critical thinking than that.

Not sure why you would expect that out of MSNBC.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus, I'm trying to watch They Cloned Tyrone on Netflix, but someone pulled the Add Noise slider all the way to the right. This looks like poo poo.

edit: movie's fun, by the way. But drat, this is like deliberately scratching up the film afterwards.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 23, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I’m honestly disappointed in you.

Au contraire, "xbox is a nintendo" is almost exactly the kind of ridiculous declarative statement their Posting Brand is built upon.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

A2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

High Warlord Zog posted:

You know I reckon Failed Screenwriter Ben Shapiro is secretly seething about The Sound of Freedom because it's making money and has a fanbase unlike all the movies he's tried to distribute

It is?

Professor Shark posted:

It’s actually impressive how they shopped that turd of a movie around for years and landed on the Right Wing grift angle and made it a hit

It is?!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Today I discovered astroturf's use as a verb

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ruddiger posted:

It is?

It is?!

I mean, something that would have been straight to dvd years ago/ New Release (on Tubi or Roku channels) has people buying out theatres that sit empty while the movie plays, so that’s pretty (dumb) impressive imo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ruddiger posted:

It is?

It is?!

It almost beat Indiana Jones and if these legs continue it actually might in the long run.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

my movies would beat Avatar if they were astroturfed by churchies

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Gonz posted:

Finally, a possible answer to the question “Can a TV show or movie make negative money?”.

Entirely appropriate given the subject.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

my movies would beat Avatar if they were astroturfed by churchies

It wasn’t even meant for chuds originally, it’s just being hyped up for them. A lot of them are mad because they (accurately) feel they’ve been scammed because they don’t see Hillary and Pelosi drinking the adrenochrome at the Dem convention

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

davidspackage posted:

Jesus, I'm trying to watch They Cloned Tyrone on Netflix, but someone pulled the Add Noise slider all the way to the right. This looks like poo poo.

edit: movie's fun, by the way. But drat, this is like deliberately scratching up the film afterwards.

Yeah I really liked it (and the end credits song had me hooting and hollering) but they sure used a bunch of neon lights that could have looked really cool just to waste them

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

MeinPanzer posted:

Barbie is by all accounts a fun movie that a lot of people are enjoying but it is really annoying how obviously astroturfed all the hype around it is, especially the whole "Barbieheimer" thing. And yet for all the breathless "what does it mean that Barbie is now a feminist icon???" thinkpieces I've seen there's been very little commentary on the obviously artificial nature of the phenomenon and what it means for toy tie-ins going forward.

There's been a few articles around - some in The Guardian of all places - that have called bullshit on the whole "Barbie is empowering" and "meta is clever" thinkers that have been everywhere.

I especially enjoyed the piece from someone who did the hyped "Barbieheimer" double and returned to warn everyone else what a terrible, misconcieved idea it was.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I can't imagine doing a double feature where either of the two movies is over two hours long. It's just too much movie!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
My wife has cornered me into doing an early afternoon Oppenheimer, 35mm then tacos, then Barbie, then Barbie karaoke.

It's probably gonna be fine, maybe I can sneak in a power nap.

Really looking forward to Oppenheimer now. I'll probably also end up getting a flight to another city partly to catch the closest IMAX 70MM showing, in the next few weeks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

35mm then tacos,

some small tacos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

some small tacos

They're special Barbie -sized tacos